Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
but I am also still committed to this compaq board if the RMA goes well. heck I could end up building multiple rigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

okay so I have already purchased:

wacky compaq motherboard
wacky compaq psu
dual 1000/133 p3s
agp video card
4x 256mb Rambus sticks

gonna need to reverse engineer the front panel pin out on the motherboard. and make an i/o shield. and get a wacky compaq vrm for the 2nd cpu.

ami I missing anything obvious?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Well, storage and such - what are you going to do with that?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ah yeah. turns out the mobo has 2 ide slots like a normal board so I'm gonna get a cf<>ide adapter. and then maybe a plextor CD burner

was 2000 too early for dvd?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

ah yeah. turns out the mobo has 2 ide slots like a normal board so I'm gonna get a cf<>ide adapter. and then maybe a plextor CD burner

too early for a burner, but DVD ROMs were definitely around

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Silver Alicorn posted:

i had a dvd-rom in 1999 (a 2-speed pos that locked up the machine if you enabled dma)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmmmm... what about... DVD-RAM?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got Rambus sticks and video card but I'm busy playoing DOTA now so I'll post in the morning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

okay so I have already purchased:

wacky compaq motherboard
wacky compaq psu
dual 1000/133 p3s
agp video card
4x 256mb Rambus sticks

gonna need to reverse engineer the front panel pin out on the motherboard. and make an i/o shield. and get a wacky compaq vrm for the 2nd cpu.

ami I missing anything obvious?

You have assembled the most dogfuck stupid menageries of cast-off defect parts that I have ever seen. Please tell me you're doing this ironically

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's just for fun :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

old compaqs are bad and not fun tho (dunno about new ones)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

good luck

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(all my old PCs are IBM :smuggo:)

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

will the wacky compaq board's holes even line up with atx holes?

i also can't imagine a blanking plate exists, i remember the port holes being cut straight into the case on most OEM machines from back then

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

papa_november posted:

will the wacky compaq board's holes even line up with atx holes?

i also can't imagine a blanking plate exists, i remember the port holes being cut straight into the case on most OEM machines from back then

yes they will

and also I'm gonna make an i/o shield up in eagle and get it cut out of pcb material

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ata-133/sata combo PCI cards are dirt fuckin' cheap

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RBC posted:

the 1ghz athlon thunderbird was the definitive processor of y2k your p3 is a pos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nobody got fired for buying intel

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
third might have been definitive if you were Mr Moneybags

some of us scrimped to get a Duron on an FIC motherboard

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I really crave a Super Socket 7 board and an AMD K6-III+ after seing this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcAqRbFFQPU

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
my first (family) computer was a 1GHz slotted P3, with rambus memory, and some nvidia graphics card or another.
it ran windows ME and we didn't upgrade until XP, BSODs and the active desktop error are seared into my mind.
it ended up running ut2k4 like a slideshow, but i still played it a lot.

this is a really cool project, even with the possibly janky parts, have fun sega panda.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

error1 posted:

I really crave a Super Socket 7 board and an AMD K6-III+ after seing this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcAqRbFFQPU

god drat seeing the games in that video really makes me crave a voodoo card. wish i had the space for a period accurate crt. theres just something about that smooth / blurry look glide gives you you dont get anywhere else. also i think im nostalgic for colored lightning. im gonna go play incoming now

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Aix posted:

god drat seeing the games in that video really makes me crave a voodoo card. wish i had the space for a period accurate crt. theres just something about that smooth / blurry look glide gives you you dont get anywhere else. also i think im nostalgic for colored lightning. im gonna go play incoming now

quoting the poo poo out of this post :hellyeah:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
voodoo5 5500 is neat. it's got two fans

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

voodoo5 5500 is neat. it's got two fans

who's the other one

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

who's the other one

:thurman:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

who's the other one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

:siren: CPUs came in today :siren:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

The seller included two compaq-compatible VRMs, was not expecting that

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Why can't we go back to slot CPUs, they are the sexiest package

I'm pretty happy with my p3-500 gaming rig, it has a voodoo 5500 and everything. Those tiny fans are noisy pieces of poo poo though so they had to go

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
chenming dragon spotted

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Not a dragon, it's some obscure model from ColorCase, maybe they were OEMed from chenming

It looks kinda like a really bad powermac g4 ripoff

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

error1 posted:

Why can't we go back to slot CPUs, they are the sexiest package

I'm pretty happy with my p3-500 gaming rig, it has a voodoo 5500 and everything. Those tiny fans are noisy pieces of poo poo though so they had to go

it seems weird to me that PSUs and fans were so bad back then. like surely we always have know that a larger fan is quieter for the same cfm? and even a switching PSU isn't a recent innovation?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

~Coxy posted:

it seems weird to me that PSUs and fans were so bad back then. like surely we always have know that a larger fan is quieter for the same cfm? and even a switching PSU isn't a recent innovation?

so many things with old PCs were bad like that, especially cases. for the longest time it seemed like lian li was the only company putting even half a thought into their designs. no one gave a poo poo about fans, either. I remember nerds lusting after panaflo and pabst fans, which were really hard to find for whatever reason.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

yeah before about 2003 people didn't seem to mind that computers were noisy. a 50mm fan screaming away on your K6 or P2 was something you just put up with

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh we definitely minded, there just weren't a lot of good answers

I wanted to plumb in frigid air from the outside during the maine winters. keep the computer in a closet and feed it 15F air from outdoors. course it would have to be well sealed and also cutting holdes in walls :effort:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sweevo posted:

yeah before about 2003 people didn't seem to mind that computers were noisy. a 50mm fan screaming away on your K6 or P2 was something you just put up with

ah the good old days of needing to spend 10x the money to solve a problem that could have been avoided with a tiny bit of extra effort from the manufacturers

like i remember spending ages filing down and bending vanes on a zalman northbridge heatsink to make it fit because the default fan sounded like an agry wasp (lol nforce 2 what a piece of poo poo)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

these CPUs are passively cooled :frogbon:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ah the good old days of needing to spend 10x the money to solve a problem that could have been avoided with a tiny bit of extra effort from the manufacturers

like i remember spending ages filing down and bending vanes on a zalman northbridge heatsink to make it fit because the default fan sounded like an agry wasp (lol nforce 2 what a piece of poo poo)

ugh christ the nforce chipsets ran so goddamn hot. at least some nforce2 boards were passively cooled. i had to put this ridiculous hunk of copper on my nforce 3 based board after the piece of poo poo fan started dying. chipset was in a terrible location, too, it's amazing this thing fit without hitting the video card (too much).

not my pics, but this is what i had. swiftech, they made some really weird looking coolers iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

these CPUs are passively cooled :frogbon:

:stare: uh

you sure about that

im thinking either the fans werent included, or they were designed for a case with active airflow hitting the CPUs

• Locked thread