Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
man i love that art for kyogre, it's such a cool pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

an orca is basically a really big dolphin yea

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mandatory lesbian posted:

kyogre is a orca, is a orca a dolphin?

they're the largest member of the dolphin family according to us.whales.org

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

they're the largest member of the dolphin family according to us.whales.org

hmmm, they seem like they would know their poo poo, fine kyogre is a dolphin

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I'll only believe it once professor Birch confirms it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

mandatory lesbian posted:

hmmm, they seem like they would know their poo poo, fine kyogre is a dolphin

That's whales.org, not dolphins.org, though. It could be a smear campaign.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Remember, if you ever feel like you don't have a porpoise, there's Kyogre.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am learning today that people don't know what dolphins look like

This is even funnier than goon faceblindness.

on another note, I am faced with a quandary. Playing through Heart Gold (currently saving the Radio Tower), I have 7 good 'mons for six team slots. It doesn't really matter, weak or strong, we win with our favorites in the main campaign, but I am hella indecisive, and having to make decisions like that has sometimes led me to quit the game.

the 7:

Fiberglass the Sudowoodo
lv 34
Flail/Low Kick/Rock Slide/Faint Attack

Drift the Seadra
lv 32
Twister/Agility/Surf/Bubblebeam

Volcano the Quilava
lv 34
Headbutt/Leer/Swift/Flame Wheel

Clamps the Krabby
lv 34
Rock Smash/Bubblebeam/Strength/Metal Claw

Yolk the Togetic
lv 35
AncientPower/Fly/Extrasensory/Return

Pain Train the Nidoking
lv 34
Dig/Headbutt/Surf/Double Kick

Fleece the Ampharos
lv 34
Headbutt/Discharge/Thunderpunch/Thunder Wave

I'm leaning towards ditching my starter, I guess, because a bunch of these guys can learn fire moves and poor Volcano has not been pulling his weight (while Yolk has been utterly reliable, with Extrasensory cutting through the game's numerous poison types like butter). but at the same time I've never really used two water types on a team before (unless the whole team is water). Granted, they fill separate niches, one a physical attacker, the other a special attacker (that now, really cool, also has Poison Point going for it).
alternately, my team does have some significant weaknesses, and is not well tailored to ultimately facing Red. whatever form the team takes in the end, Pain Train, Yolk, and Clamps are there TO THE END. at this point Togetic is basically my starter. I don't know why Game Freak gave the Togepi you get Extrasensory, but it's a Fun Time for All. :unsmith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wanna get back to Pokemon Y but I have no idea where in the plot I am. Fairly sure I already climbed the Eiffel tower and already got the lucario and charizard mega evos and am currently lost in not Paris which is a monumental pain in the rear end to navigate

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm about 10 hours into Pokemon Y, what the gently caress is wrong with Onyx, why does it require 200 loving pokeballs to be captured.

Also why doesn't Farfetch'd evolve, he's the only mon who can learn False Swipe, literally the only move that will reliably help you catch other mons because my rear end in a top hat Charmeleon one-shots everything with his Dragon Rage for some reason.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

In proper double battles is there the same amount of switching as singles?

It just kind of puts me off with everything just coming in and out often without doing anything.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Geokinesis posted:

In proper double battles is there the same amount of switching as singles?

It just kind of puts me off with everything just coming in and out often without doing anything.

Switching is generally discouraged in doubles because it's easier to be safe when you mispredict a swap and more dangerous if you get predicted for swapping.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kawabata posted:

I'm about 10 hours into Pokemon Y, what the gently caress is wrong with Onyx, why does it require 200 loving pokeballs to be captured.

Also why doesn't Farfetch'd evolve, he's the only mon who can learn False Swipe, literally the only move that will reliably help you catch other mons because my rear end in a top hat Charmeleon one-shots everything with his Dragon Rage for some reason.

Dragon Rage always deals exactly 40 damage. That's why you're one-shotting everything. It's a stupidly good attack at lower levels.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kawabata posted:

dragon rage always does 40 hp worth of damage, so if you're fighting anything will less than 40 hp, well,

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im still pissed to this day that an attack called "Dragon Rage" is so phenomenally lovely

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

sharrrk posted:

dragon rage always does 40 hp worth of damage, so if you're fighting anything will less than 40 hp, well,

thx for the explanation friend

now, about onyx's shittiness

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Onyx big, pokeball small.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

have you tried weakening it

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

sharrrk posted:

have you tried weakening it

yes, he got slapped by Far fetch'd to 1 hp, it still almost finished all my balls (my balls irl too btw)

in total: 6 pokeballs, 4 megaballs (or whatever, the blue ones), 1 luxury, 1 premiere ball

I caught it with a simple pokeball in the end (lol), after raging really hard

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If it makes you feel any better Onix is really bad, and Steelix is also bad. But he's also one of my favorites because his shiny is solid gold.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Countblanc posted:

If it makes you feel any better Onix is really bad, and Steelix is also bad. But he's also one of my favorites because his shiny is solid gold.

he could be the shittiest pokemon but he looks pretty good tbh

unlike dragonite which is basically a fat mongoloid dragon with diabetes

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Onix has a catch rate of 45, so it's gonna be pretty hard to catch. But if you get it low enough in health then you'll have a 25% chance to capture it, max.

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Calaveron posted:

I wanna get back to Pokemon Y but I have no idea where in the plot I am. Fairly sure I already climbed the Eiffel tower and already got the lucario and charizard mega evos and am currently lost in not Paris which is a monumental pain in the rear end to navigate

I've used youtube walkthroughs when I couldn't remember where I was. You just have to power through incredibly annoying commentaries for a while. It sounds as if you're around here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41BEwEW4AY

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kawabata posted:

yes, he got slapped by Far fetch'd to 1 hp, it still almost finished all my balls (my balls irl too btw)

in total: 6 pokeballs, 4 megaballs (or whatever, the blue ones), 1 luxury, 1 premiere ball

I caught it with a simple pokeball in the end (lol), after raging really hard

you just got unlucky then, you had roughly 26-27% of catching it in a normal poke ball and 36-37% chance of catching it with a great ball. you can increase the catch rate more by using status effects, sleep and freeze will double the catch rate and the rest will multiply it by 1.5

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kawabata posted:

i'm never helping you again

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

sharrrk posted:

you just got unlucky then, you had roughly 26-27% of catching it in a normal poke ball and 36-37% chance of catching it with a great ball. you can increase the catch rate more by using status effects, sleep and freeze will double the catch rate and the rest will multiply it by 1.5

oh ok ty for the info

last dumb question: someone told me there's nothing really "missable" in pokemon X&Y, is this accurate and does this extend to moves too (and moves you refused to learn once leveling up?)

EDIT: a fat mongoloid dragon with diabetes but also very strong and amazing

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Indeed. Pokemon is very good of letting you not miss anything, though there are a couple of rare exceptions. As far as I know, there's nothing missable in XY. When you reach Dendemille Town, there's a guy that'll let you reteach past moves for your Pokemon for Heart Scales, which you can find hidden here and there. This is good as some fully evolved Pokemon have new moves you can reteach.

Also Onix is a bit hard to use since it's literally the first "boss" Pokemon in the entire series. So they gave it like 45 Attack and really low Special Defense to ensure that it wouldn't kick your rear end. Steelix is a lot more usable, but it's not exactly an amazing attacker.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I Pokémon Banked for the first time and moved up stuff I had from like, release date gen 3 games all the way up to 6 and I got a kick out of just seeing them in 3D honestly :unsmith:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

less laughter posted:

It also has the except same flower as Vileplume does, except smaller and two of them. And it has the same arms as Gloom and Vileplume and the same leaves as Gloom. It totally fits in with the Oddish line.

Those aren't the same leaves as Gloom. I do appreciate it still has the Rafflesia but there a bit difficult to notice other than in close ups and in the official art.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I Pokémon Banked for the first time and moved up stuff I had from like, release date gen 3 games all the way up to 6 and I got a kick out of just seeing them in 3D honestly :unsmith:

this is the most satisfying thing, to see your old friends in 3D and feed them cupcakes and pat them on the head

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Countblanc posted:

im still pissed to this day that an attack called "Dragon Rage" is so phenomenally lovely

At least it isn't the only Dragon attack anymore. Gen 1 had Dragon damage entirely theoretical.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Does anyone have an unused Darkrai code? I don't really feel like paying some dickhead Gamestop employee real money for one.

Also, are the codes region specific?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Ghost damage too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ghost damage too.

There was still Lick, wasn't there?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sort of, but Gen 1 had a bug where Psychic was immune to Ghost or something like that

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

plus lick did total garbage damage, it was more a paralyze move than an attack

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/MrHaydenMyers/status/762032297013047296

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawabata posted:

he could be the shittiest pokemon but he looks pretty good tbh

Imagine if Alola Dragonite actually looks cool.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Internet Kraken posted:

Imagine if Alola Dragonite actually looks cool.

Dragonite is actually the most coolest dragon sorry you're blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

this is the most satisfying thing, to see your old friends in 3D and feed them cupcakes and pat them on the head

how do you pokemon bank? i've never used it

edit: never mind i looked it up

edit 2: okay a better question, will i need to use pokemon bank to transfer pokemon from my X game to Moon?

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2016

• Locked thread