Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Batman Beyond has some stellar episodes, a great movie and an incredibly strong premise, but it also has a lot of really lovely episodes. Its batting average doesn't live up to its potential. Even when they directly tried to echo BTAS (Big Time's origin is obviously inspired by Two-Face), it tended to come across much shallower. The show had a lot of writers who went on to work on Smallville, and boy does it show sometimes with the "Drugs are bad" episodes and the underwritten relationship drama.

I'm not trying to say Batman Beyond is bad, I really like it still, but I think it's rated just about where it deserves to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There were bits of Beyond that were too freaky for me when I was younger. There was Bane being reduced to a desiccated old invalid who's on a constant Venom IV drip, for example. But the one that really sticks out in my memory is "April Moon", where the bad guys are these crooks who blackmail this surgeon into giving them various robotic implants, without realising that he's included a failsafe that'll deactivate them when Batman uses a code word: there's one guy who has chainsaws in his wrists and his knees, and when Batman uses the word, his arms and legs just fall apart and fall off. :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, the show's definitely got some body horror going on, like that guy who's in love with Inque and when she promises to give him powers like hers it just ends up making him a horrible human blob. Even that stuff gets underwritten sometimes. Big Time is a good-looking buff dude who gets turned into a huge deformed freak, and it doesn't bother him at all. He's just like "Yay, I can punch harder :haw:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, the show's definitely got some body horror going on, like that guy who's in love with Inque and when she promises to give him powers like hers it just ends up making him a horrible human blob. Even that stuff gets underwritten sometimes. Big Time is a good-looking buff dude who gets turned into a huge deformed freak, and it doesn't bother him at all. He's just like "Yay, I can punch harder :haw:"

Well, ya gotta look on the bright side, y'know!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There were bits of Beyond that were too freaky for me when I was younger. There was Bane being reduced to a desiccated old invalid who's on a constant Venom IV drip, for example. But the one that really sticks out in my memory is "April Moon", where the bad guys are these crooks who blackmail this surgeon into giving them various robotic implants, without realising that he's included a failsafe that'll deactivate them when Batman uses a code word: there's one guy who has chainsaws in his wrists and his knees, and when Batman uses the word, his arms and legs just fall apart and fall off. :stare:

You left out the best part--

The head crook blackmails the surgeon into giving them the implants by saying "we have your girl" but it turns out she's been screwing the head crook the whole time. The surgeon finds out of course, and by the end of the episode only the head crook is left free. The crook runs to the surgeon for implant-repair, unaware of that the surgeon knows the full game. The closing shot is literally the shot of the crook going under anesthesia while the surgeon implies he's going to do.... well quite literally anything you can do to someone while they're sedated for surgery.

I was lucky to see Bruce Timm and some production staff at a panel at San Diego a year or so after JLU ended, they were doing a DCAU retrospective, and they were all laughing about how despite Batman Beyond's conception as the kiddiest show in the DCAU it wound up being the absolute darkest in places.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Or the Terrific Trio. Sure, they may well have just been subdued and arrest, but from what I remember, it looked a lot like you had the magma guy being turned into an inert lump of charcoal, the freon lady being ripped apart by their lab's ventilation system, and the stretchy dude being shredded or something when he's sucked into some kind of air duct.

mind the walrus posted:

The head crook blackmails the surgeon into giving them the implants by saying "we have your girl" but it turns out she's been screwing the head crook the whole time. The surgeon finds out of course, and by the end of the episode only the head crook is left free. The crook runs to the surgeon for implant-repair, unaware of that the surgeon knows the full game. The closing shot is literally the shot of the crook going under anesthesia while the surgeon implies he's going to do.... well quite literally anything you can do to someone while they're sedated for surgery.

Oh, yeah, the episode ends with him instructing the surgeon to make him faster, stronger and to hold nothing back, and the guy's like, "Of course; no holding back," then the last shot is the guy going under as the doctor looms over him with a power drill.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Batman Beyond has some stellar episodes, a great movie and an incredibly strong premise, but it also has a lot of really lovely episodes. Its batting average doesn't live up to its potential. Even when they directly tried to echo BTAS (Big Time's origin is obviously inspired by Two-Face), it tended to come across much shallower. The show had a lot of writers who went on to work on Smallville, and boy does it show sometimes with the "Drugs are bad" episodes and the underwritten relationship drama.

I'm not trying to say Batman Beyond is bad, I really like it still, but I think it's rated just about where it deserves to be.

imo the movie was the series' biggest black mark. well, aside from the perfect "Terry loving with the Joker and pissing him off like Bruce never could" scene.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Tim Drake business at the start was p. drat good. The stuff with the Jokerz is bland and forgettable as hell, but the opening and end are strong as hell.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the single weakest point of Batman Beyond is the Kobra arc in the final season, which is where the majority of the weakest episodes are in general. Pretty much everything before the final season maintains a really high level of consistent quality, though. I actually think it's better than BTAS in that regard.

Beyond was also good about building up characters and maintaining continuity over a long period, which isn't something BTAS was generally interested in. Terry changes as a person over the course of the show, as do a couple of secondary characters, like Max.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebI8H5nq5L4

I really think this is one of the defining moments of Batman Beyond right here.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, as that clip illustrates, there's just huge potential (successfully mined by the show) in the character of old, bitter, grumpy Bruce Wayne, who's too old to be gadding about in pyjamas any more and whose city is if anything even worse than before. It's very humanising and a hugely interesting take on the Batman character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

imo the movie was the series' biggest black mark.

That is a ridiculous thing to say.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't get over the Tim Drake thing. Maybe everyone else likes it and I am objectively wrong for not liking this perfect piece of art, but I just cannot get over that. The only way I can still like BB at all and the entire DCAU in general is pretending that didn't happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I can't get over the Tim Drake thing. Maybe everyone else likes it and I am objectively wrong for not liking this perfect piece of art, but I just cannot get over that. The only way I can still like BB at all and the entire DCAU in general is pretending that didn't happen.

Batman Beyond is explicitly a future where terrible things happened to the entire Bat-cast and caused them to retire.

Like hell, this is a universe where Superman spent years as a mind-controlled slave. BB is a pretty dark story about a failed DC future where megacorps run everything and the greatest heroes are struggling to do good.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 6, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

Also, as that clip illustrates, there's just huge potential (successfully mined by the show) in the character of old, bitter, grumpy Bruce Wayne, who's too old to be gadding about in pyjamas any more and whose city is if anything even worse than before. It's very humanising and a hugely interesting take on the Batman character.

Yeah, the premise of Beyond is the darkest the DCAU gets in my opinion. Batman Beyond is explicitly a story about Batman being a complete failure at everything. EVERYTHING. Gotham is arguably worse, all of his family is either dead or wants nothing to do with him, Wayne Industries is being taken over in a merger, and Bruce is just a few inches from dying sad and alone. It's the Batman mythos at its most cynical in every direction.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, the show's definitely got some body horror going on

My mind always goes to....Sidewinder? Blink? I don't remember, but whichever one gets the power to phase through stuff. Eventually their power fucks up and they phase through the planet. That's scary as poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Batman Beyond is explicitly a future where terrible things happened to the entire Bat-cast and caused them to retire.

Like hell, this is a universe where Superman spent years as a mind-controlled slave. BB is a pretty dark story about a failed DC future where megacorps run everything and the greatest heroes are struggling to do good.

The 2099 line did it better. Speaking of which:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cangelosi posted:

I really think this is one of the defining moments of Batman Beyond right here.

Android Blues posted:

there's just huge potential (successfully mined by the show) in the character of old, bitter, grumpy Bruce Wayne

ImpAtom posted:

Right on all three counts. This is why I think probably my favorite scene from Batman Beyond was the coffeehouse talk between Barbara and Terry. Where she reveals that she stuck with Bruce when Tim left, but eventually had to leave herself, because he just refused to allow anyone else into his life. He was all bat, no man.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ImpAtom posted:

Well B:TAS is my absolute favorite Batman continuity and with Superman and Justice League it becomes the platonic ideal of my favorite shared universe and it's a huge loving downer to think that's how it ends.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Well B:TAS is my absolute favorite Batman continuity and with Superman and Justice League it becomes the platonic ideal of my favorite shared universe and it's a huge loving downer to think that's how it ends.

Terry and the Justice League are still out there doing their thing, and Bruce gets to die with a son that loves him. Even if it wasn't a happy ending for like 99% of the cast in JLU, it's still far from a wash.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's more that whenever things get so bad, there are heroes to help right the way. poo poo gets to the point it's at, but then Batman helps restore hope.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"Batman failed" is an inherently dumb idea in a world where Gotham is in danger of complete and utter annihilation or acts of mass murder that would dwarf 9/11 every other week. Good thing nothing happened between Bruce retiring and Terry taking the cowl.

But then I guess that gets into the weird juxtaposition of Batman vs crime as a realistic system being the main idea yet mostly focusing on things like the crazy environmentalist chick who controls giant man eating plants with her mind. Sorry there's still gangs of punks in the future, I guess Bruce was too busy disarming the sixteenth nuke Ra's al Ghul hid in the city to get around to that. What a failure.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

"Batman failed" is an inherently dumb idea in a world where Gotham is in danger of complete and utter annihilation or acts of mass murder that would dwarf 9/11 every other week. Good thing nothing happened between Bruce retiring and Terry taking the cowl.

It's pretty clear things did in fact happen they were just handled by other people.

WickedHate posted:

But then I guess that gets into the weird juxtaposition of Batman vs crime as a realistic system being the main idea yet mostly focusing on things like the crazy environmentalist chick who controls giant man eating plants with her mind. Sorry there's still gangs of punks in the future, I guess Bruce was too busy disarming the sixteenth nuke Ra's al Ghul hid in the city to get around to that. What a failure.

He is, in fact, a failure because his goal was to Stop Crime Forever at the cost of his own happiness which is an explicitly impossible goal. This isn't even exclusive to BB, it was an ongoing thing throughout BTAS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

What, the fact that Bruce makes an offhand reference to Ras causing a war that killed a bunch of heroes wasn't enough of a downer for you?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Beyond is a story where Batman spent too much time being Batman and not enough time being Bruce Wayne. It's why he's lost control of his company, Megacorps own most of Gotham, and crime keeps happening because now the corporate espionage is driving it. Batman can punch people and disarm bombs, but Bruce Wayne can actually save the city, and he didn't.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

mind the walrus posted:

I was lucky to see Bruce Timm and some production staff at a panel at San Diego a year or so after JLU ended, they were doing a DCAU retrospective, and they were all laughing about how despite Batman Beyond's conception as the kiddiest show in the DCAU it wound up being the absolute darkest in places.

It's weird that they assumed it would be the kiddiest show when the underlying premise is an ultra-nihilistic "Everyone who says Batman's war on crime is doomed to pointlessness and failure is right" take, but maybe that grew out of the planning phases as a natural consequence of wanting a younger character as a Batman-in-training sort.

I think I might've been at that panel - were they also showing off that short-lived Legion of Superheroes cartoon? Small world.

Anyway, content - Mr. Weatherbee is sick of bears, and your poo poo:

e: Source is Jughead #8.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 6, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeMathGuy posted:

The art on this is absurdly good and I'm kind of crushing on Jughead and that's weird as hell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm also digging Mr Weatherbee being snarky and sarcastic as opposed to the easily outwitted dimwit I remember when I was a kid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's weird that they assumed it would be the kiddiest show when the underlying premise is an ultra-nihilistic "Everyone who says Batman's war on crime is doomed to pointlessness and failure is right" take, but maybe that grew out of the planning phases as a natural consequence of wanting a younger character as a Batman-in-training sort.

I think I might've been at that panel - were they also showing off that short-lived Legion of Superheroes cartoon? Small world.

I don't recall if they did the LoS cartoon, but it definitely would have been that year or the year before. I just recall the Q&A to be honest. That and sitting through the end of the panel on the then-new TV show Bones while waiting for it to start, which is funny because at the time I hadn't watched Angel and if I had I would have been much more interested in David Boreanaz.

My memory definitely remembers Timm saying that the show was meant to be kiddie in a tone that implied that was how the show was sold to the higher-ups. You're very probably right that all the darkness came out of examining what kind-of circumstances would necessitate a kid Batman taking up the mantle from an old Bruce, and one thing you've got to credit the DCAU from Superman onwards with was that they were all about keeping the ridiculous DC stuff as internally consistent with the characters as possible which is how we got all the Cadmus business.

SomeMathGuy posted:

e: Source is Jughead #8.

I will never stop being pleasantly surprised by the Archie Renaissance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This was the best story from Zdarsky's run on Jughead, actually, mostly because it didn't have the stupid fantasy sequence gimmick and devoted the time to actually having Jug and Archie in conflict and then resolving the conflict.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Gaz-L posted:

This was the best story from Zdarsky's run on Jughead, actually, mostly because it didn't have the stupid fantasy sequence gimmick and devoted the time to actually having Jug and Archie in conflict and then resolving the conflict.

The whole first arc felt like Zdarsky dove into the deep end of the crazier parts of old-school Jughead without the decades of mundane context that made those things work. This one benefited a lot from being more grounded, I felt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

The whole first arc felt like Zdarsky dove into the deep end of the crazier parts of old-school Jughead without the decades of mundane context that made those things work. This one benefited a lot from being more grounded, I felt.

Agreed. I'm super-jazzed to see Ryan North's take on Sabrina, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You think the first two are about as contrived as it can get, but then the last one is like a living Rube Goldberg Machine.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
:thejoke:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I understand that's the joke, it's pretty obvious. I'm just stating it's even funnier how much more ridiculous the last one is than the other two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The last one is the most sensible, because in all the others at least one party is clearly wearing something that'd get in the way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Batman Begins opens with middle-aged Batman having a heart attack while fighting thugs and having to resort to threaten them with a gun to not get beaten to death.
I do not understand how Timm et al presented it as the kiddiest DCAU show

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No he said it was sold and aimed as the kiddiest show. There is no way they didn't realize early on in development "Holy poo poo we are going to dark loving places with this. Eh whatever it's Kid's WB they don't give a gently caress we're one of the pillars of their lineup."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Unless you are going to post funny panels about Batman maybe you should take your opinions about Batman cartoons elsewhere. Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Blame Neal Adams and Hannah/Barberra for Long-Chin Joker

(Scooby-Doo, 1972)