Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

Is this supposed to be a complaint that a guy who just committed a bunch of crimes and then advertised he'd done so doesn't have a valid passport anymore? I mean that's the hell of it all, a smarter leaker would have tried to keep his name hidden as long as possible, at least until they'd found a place they'd actually like to stay in, you know?

I'm confused what you're arguing for in general. What's your point? That his escape plan was poor? Okay, granted. Now what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'd do propaganda for Putin to survive too.
This makes you as much of a coward as Snowden, fyi. Especially considering the global ramifications here.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This makes you as much of a coward as Snowden, fyi. Especially considering the global ramifications here.

lmao look at this poo poo, are you 14?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ColdPie posted:

I'm confused what you're arguing for in general. What's your point? That his escape plan was poor? Okay, granted. Now what?

I'm arguing that if he was smart, he would have tried to keep that it was him specifically who leaked poo poo hidden as long as possible, and get somewhere that doesn't suck to live. But he decided to be a gloryhound idiot and that's why he ended up stuck in Russia, like a clown.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So Tuesday's the night that Paul Ryan stomps Nehlen in the WI primaries? Leading by 66 points last I saw.

For anyone who enjoys cringe-humor, here's the ad by the guy trying to primary Ryan from the right, getting all the "Cantorize that RINO!" social media love: http://www.vox.com/2016/8/5/12386532/paul-nehlen-paul-ryan-challenger-trump-explained

- lengthy stretches of just riding around on a Harley
- vest to show off his tattoos, including Molon Labe
- incredibly wooden delivery and high school level AV quality with highway shots taken with a drone a staffer's kid got for Christmas
- drops the biker outfit and changes into a suit and no tie, with a valiant attempt to look business-y by wearing safety glasses (which he removes) in a machining shop, just that the machine noise makes his whole speech hard to hear
- *literally* challenges the Speaker of the House to an arm wrestling match. Explicitly.

I enjoy a good cringe, and The Office is done so this is what we got.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
By the way, just to remind everyone, the world found about this in 06.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

I'm arguing that if he was smart, he would have tried to keep that it was him specifically who leaked poo poo hidden as long as possible, and get somewhere that doesn't suck to live. But he decided to be a gloryhound idiot and that's why he ended up stuck in Russia, like a clown.

Snowden's living arrangements don't seem like a particularly interesting thing to discuss.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

At least they're not super dilute. You'd be in trouble for sure if they were.

Welp I guess that means Trump's going win in a landslide.

Which countries are good for US exPats?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KillingPablo posted:

Holy hell, is that true? How was someone working for the NSA and engineered the theft of so much data so stupid as to not realize Hong Kong wasn't some sanctuary from the PRC?

Is "he's a libertarian and therefore knows nothing about anything" not a good enough reason for you?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Why did Nehlen include a shot of a sign and then blur it? What even is going on anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcVsuCgYf0U&t=21s

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have to say, it'll be fun to watch the liberal mainstream finish their complete 180 on surveillance, security, extrajudicial shenanigans and general warhawking once Hillary takes the wheel and has none of the personal reservations on that stuff that Obama did

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I have to say, it'll be fun to watch the liberal mainstream finish their complete 180 on surveillance, security, extrajudicial shenanigans and general warhawking once Hillary takes the wheel and has none of the personal reservations on that stuff that Obama did

Obama has reservations about domestic spying? News to me.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

icantfindaname posted:

It will be unpleasantly easy to justify by suggesting Trump would have been worse and I'm pre-disgusted with myself in the future.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

icantfindaname posted:

Yep, that stuff you're imagining does sound fun.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

icantfindaname posted:

its like music, clinton stole bombing iraq from daddy bush, w stole a couple bars about loving up america and the world from clinton and made it the chorus of his biggest hit, now another clintons coming to remix that poo poo again
unless the glowing orange god of fire can cleanse the world of our stain

death is certain

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

yea it's fun to play pretend

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

its like music, clinton stole bombing iraq from daddy bush, w stole a couple bars about loving up america and the world from clinton and made it the chorus of his biggest hit, now another clintons coming to remix that poo poo again
unless the glowing orange god of fire can cleanse the world of our stain

death is certain

Now we just need a perfect mix of George W Bush and Hillary Clinton for an atomic Iraq war. George Clinton 2020!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

QuarkJets posted:

Is "he's a libertarian and therefore knows nothing about anything" not a good enough reason for you?

White dude technolibertarians are always axiomatically dumb and bad, the positive or negative outcomes and the motives of their actions are meaningless. This applies to Snowden too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
put your phone in the freezer

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

VikingofRock posted:

Now we just need a perfect mix of George W Bush and Hillary Clinton for an atomic Iraq war. George Clinton 2020!

still my favorite article after all these years

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ColdPie posted:

Snowden's living arrangements don't seem like a particularly interesting thing to discuss.

It actually is, but your whining that people dared to insult Saint Ed sure isn't interesting.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Ha ha. No not wanting to die for a cause you believe in is completely rational behavior of a normal person. Martyrdom culture is stupid.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/762000226811011072

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Martyrdom culture is stupid.

Yeah, I never got the whole "well people will believe you more if you are dead!" Arguement, because I'd kind of want to stay amongst the land of the living.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I mean I'd rather have attention drawn to scary rear end domestic surveillance to gain opposition to it even if it's been known about but Snowden's behavior since seems to be self grandicising look how many followers I have manner. The fact he drops his sick Twitter burns from a country where opposition leaders mysteriously get murdered in public areas where cameras just so happen to be under maintainance and it gets pinned on the Chechens for some reason certainly doesn't help

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So it looks like the LA Times Poll is showing Clinton only +1. Except their last poll was Trump's highwater mark and had him at +7. So assuming the poll reached a similar group, the story there is the 8 point swing, not CLINTON'S LEAD COLLAPSING, eh?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I have a bad feeling that "short circuit" line is going to get a lot of play in the media in the coming days.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mr Interweb posted:

I have a bad feeling that "short circuit" line is going to get a lot of play in the media in the coming days.

Not if trump continues to distract everyone by engaging in Cheeto fascist antics, insh'allah.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bad Moon posted:

I mean I'd rather have attention drawn to scary rear end domestic surveillance to gain opposition to it even if it's been known about but Snowden's behavior since seems to be self grandicising look how many followers I have manner. The fact he drops his sick Twitter burns from a country where opposition leaders mysteriously get murdered in public areas where cameras just so happen to be under maintainance and it gets pinned on the Chechens for some reason certainly doesn't help

Maybe if there was an actual accountability that didn't mean you have to flee the country when you tell people about the bad poo poo your country is doing.

I mean if I found out that where I lived was operating a black site for holding stolen goods and I had proof but I was told you aren't allowed to say anything because you are a government employee, I'd like to hope that I could say it and not have to worry about getting thrown in jail because I had revealed it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

fishmech posted:

It actually is, but your whining that people dared to insult Saint Ed sure isn't interesting.

My what?

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

So it looks like the LA Times Poll is showing Clinton only +1. Except their last poll was Trump's highwater mark and had him at +7. So assuming the poll reached a similar group, the story there is the 8 point swing, not CLINTON'S LEAD COLLAPSING, eh?

Isn't this the poll that literally has no 18-34 year-olds in the sample?

Edit: Must not be, as they show 18-34 year old results here:
http://cesrusc.org/election/

SoSimpleABeginning fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SoSimpleABeginning posted:

Isn't this the poll that literally has no 18-35 year-olds in the sample?

Why would you even do that as a poll?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea it's fun to play pretend

You're right, they'll desperately and avidly reconcile themselves to it well before she is elected.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

Josef bugman posted:

Why would you even do that as a poll?

If I was recall is was a poll that relied upon people with landlines. I don't know a single 18-34 year old with a landline.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

SoSimpleABeginning posted:

If I was recall is was a poll that relied upon people with landlines. I don't know a single 18-34 year old with a landline.

I don't think most of the people I know who are older than that have a landline.

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

The Great Twist

Josef bugman posted:

I don't think most of the people I know who are older than that have a landline.

Ah, it was the CNN/ORC poll from a couple of weeks ago.

Check out page 19 and beyone of the crosstabs here:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2016/images/07/25/trump.clinton.poll.pdf

N/A for 18-34 year olds.

Strangely enough, the methodology says that they called both landlines and cellphones. Not sure how they managed to completely evade that demographic then...

Edit: Alright, they didn't necessarily not sample ANY 18-34 year olds, but did not sample enough of them to bring the expected error down to +/- 8.5%, and thus left them out of the crosstabs.

SoSimpleABeginning fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 6, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It had 18-34 year olds but not enough to release crosstabs.

If you have a really small sample of a group you can't release crosstabs because they're going to be all over the place and because it could theoretically compromise the respondents' privacy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SedanChair posted:

You're right, they'll desperately and avidly reconcile themselves to it well before she is elected.

What do you mean, they already have

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

icantfindaname posted:

Gotta admit it's tempting to be ok with it. If anyone domestic actually deserves surveillance, spying and general fuckery it's conservatives. Just a hair of the poo poo that was done to labor activists or civil rights leaders. Just a taste of it. Don't need to go full McCarthy or Hoover, but just a drat taste. Their ideology needs to loving die and it'd hard to be upset about the US giving them the ol' commie / labor treatment giving the loving poo poo they pulled and are pulling.

I mean hell, how many people are going to die because the GOP denies climate change?

But, better angels and all that. Gotta be better than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

What do you mean, they already have

The most annoying thing to me about Trump's campaign is how it will set expectations as low as they can be for the Hillary administration. Whatever she does, there will always be sycophants who whine "I suppose you would have preferred Donald Trump."

• Locked thread