Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're doing some AMS racing on Sundays, see if you can make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
When? What time do they usually run, then I can convert it.

My timezone is AEST (10+ hours to GMT).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
AMS/AC is usually around 20:00 GMT. So i guess around 6 am Monday for you.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
6am?!

Hrm. Ok so even a 10 PM start is still 8 in the morning for me. Any later and most people have to get up for Monday morning.

Yeah, this is where I got to last time. Oh well.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Tony Montana posted:

6am?!

Hrm. Ok so even a 10 PM start is still 8 in the morning for me. Any later and most people have to get up for Monday morning.

Yeah, this is where I got to last time. Oh well.

Hey, I've gotten up more than once to take over driving an endurance race, getting behind the wheel before 4am. It's a great way to wake up in the morning!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

After many hours in Project Cars on the Vive the general takeaway is that every non-race-car behaves as if it's on ice and the entire experience hinges on clinching ones butthole as hard as possible on every turn pleading that the grip doesn't give way to some inescapable spin. Then you drive one of their F1 cars and it sticks like a mother, and you get pissed because that poo poo should be the opposite. I'm so sick of gingerly easing GT3 cars through corners like they're on ice skates while I can fling the gently caress out of an F1 on cold tires in the same situation. poo poo's way too stressful.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So the most recent Assetto Corsa dev stream had some interesting stuff. Full summary here.

- New track before the end of the year, most people think it's Laguna Seca because that won a poll on the AC forums
- Console exclusive cars (Ferrari FXX K, 458 GTB, Praga R1, R1 S1) will be a paid DLC on PC now
- Porsche is now going to be 3 DLC packs with their own season pass, 3 cars will be free though
- New fictional track coming
- Bentley, Peugeot, Subaru, Lancia and Aston Martin will never be in the game, no touring cars either
- They have laser scan data for historic Spa but aren't going to build it
- 1967 Silverstone is coming, as well as the 10k Monza with the oval
- Rain is never happening, Vive support unlikely, no rolling starts because they can't figure out how to do them
- Koenigsegg apparently stopped responding to their emails
- They hired a new programmer though he's mostly going to be working on AC Pro rather than consumer AC

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So Assetto Corsa is over. AMS just needs some Rift support and I'm ready to move over.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

So the most recent Assetto Corsa dev stream had some interesting stuff. Full summary here.

- New track before the end of the year, most people think it's Laguna Seca because that won a poll on the AC forums
- Console exclusive cars (Ferrari FXX K, 458 GTB, Praga R1, R1 S1) will be a paid DLC on PC now
- Porsche is now going to be 3 DLC packs with their own season pass, 3 cars will be free though
- New fictional track coming
- Bentley, Peugeot, Subaru, Lancia and Aston Martin will never be in the game, no touring cars either
- They have laser scan data for historic Spa but aren't going to build it
- 1967 Silverstone is coming, as well as the 10k Monza with the oval
- Rain is never happening, Vive support unlikely, no rolling starts because they can't figure out how to do them
- Koenigsegg apparently stopped responding to their emails
- They hired a new programmer though he's mostly going to be working on AC Pro rather than consumer AC

L

O

L

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Although having laser scan data for historic Spa and not building the track makes me cry more than it makes me laugh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Though I question how laser scan data taken within the last few years could in any way faithfully replicate the driving surface of a road in 1967. It certainly won't be more or less historically accurate than building it by hand using gps and elevation data for reference.

edit -- oops the 1967 was for silverstone, but I'll leave the post in to demonstrate what a moron I am

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

No Lancia? Ever?
Game over.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eggyolk posted:

After many hours in Project Cars on the Vive the general takeaway is that every non-race-car behaves as if it's on ice and the entire experience hinges on clinching ones butthole as hard as possible on every turn pleading that the grip doesn't give way to some inescapable spin. Then you drive one of their F1 cars and it sticks like a mother, and you get pissed because that poo poo should be the opposite. I'm so sick of gingerly easing GT3 cars through corners like they're on ice skates while I can fling the gently caress out of an F1 on cold tires in the same situation. poo poo's way too stressful.

I have to say I think Project Cars isn't so hot in the cars department. Sure Gran Turismo had a million different makes and models, but how different really are they? Why do I need a Honda Civic in my game? Oh because it's the target market, you need shitbox cars because they people playing your game probably drives them. They want to see their Corolla in glorious game form.

It does depend on which F1 car you are driving, things like that Lotus 98 are from an era before we realized slowing down cornering speed promoted overtaking and made things more interesting. When you're hanging on for dear life, sucked to the ground by some crazy ground effects and loving enormous wings, with rear tires literally a meter wide, holding 200kph through the apex, you can't be thinking about doing anything except not dying.

So that 98 has all those things, it might even have ground effects. Alan Jones (the only Australian F1 Champ) won around then in a ground effects car, so pronounced was the effect that they removed the front wing because it just created drag as the underside of the car was producing more than enough downforce. Things like the massive wings, huge tires and sliding skirts will all have huge effect regardless of how warm the car is, combined with the physics of a F1 open wheeler (weight is as low and centered as physically possible, it's built from the ground up to be a track car while GT3 (or any production) cars wrestle with such problems as how big a stereo we can fit in and can we fit 4 people in it) mean it will handle lightyears better than any production car ever can in any magical configuration you can think of.

You shouldn't be easing the GT3 cars through corners either, they should be direct and solid and you should be able to hang that thing out without a care. That's what good suspension and taking all the weight out does, that's what makes it a GT3 car.

Then modern F1 cars have restrictions on tire size and wing size and all that, but then the things I spoke about with car design (low center of gravity, suspension design, etc) are now so advanced that F1 drivers will often talk about how easy to drive a modern F1 car is. Anyone that's spent time with iRacing will know the dichotomy of an easy car to drive is a hard car to drive fast, apparently dealing with torque on corner exit is difficult now (apparently the car will spin the wheels in 5th gear easily), but as for throwing it into a corner the car will deal with incredible Gs before breaking traction.

So yeah, in summary, Project Cars strikes me as more of a console game than a serious PC sim.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The thing I want in my sim racer is notable personalities that behave differently and persist at least within a league. If im behind johnny arsehole I know he's going to block like a fucker, while this guy over here will always yield because he's timid. That might lead to a sense of real rivalry through the season, something I haven't seen since some of the older Codies games.

Hell, some of them would actually have angry rivals barge into your garage after you pitt them. That was fun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ground effect was pretty much banned in F1 in the early 80s. It still exists to some extent with diffusers but the days of getting most of their grip from ground effect is over. Though ground effect let to very ugly cars like this:

It had fans in the back to suck out the air under the car to create low pressure to hold the car to the road.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep. Jones's championship was 1980. The year I was born :)

Oh. The fan car. The one we all know, the Brabham.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabham_BT46

Jack Brabham won 3 championships. Sorry Jack, I forgot about you there, mate. AJ woulda set me straight :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 3, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm pretty sure that is a Chaparral; they did loads of cool aero poo poo before F1 did it - the first wing was on the Chaparral 2E; the 2J tried the whole ground effects thing using skirts and fans and while it was incredibly quick it had a habit of breaking down a lot and was banned after one year - they also built the first ground effects Indycar in 1979 but that was the year after the Lotus 79 basically created the model that every other ground effects car followed until they were banned in 83 and you can tell that the 79 inspired Jim Hall and co a fair bit.

The 2E looks much nicer than the 2J: I actually quite like it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So I found a thread on the Sector 3 forums similar to the iRacing one which has all the stuff that's known to be licensed and features being worked on. There's some interesting stuff in there that seems to have gotten lost over time. They apparently have the Ford and Volvo V8 Supercars licensed, though have said in Q&As that they likely will never be released. People also dug into the server settings recently and found reference to a Formula RaceRoom US, which is pretty interesting.

Also Silverstone but who gives a gently caress about Silverstone.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
There was talk about DTM on Discord, and the DTM 2015 in R3E drives really good. Do we have enough people with R3E to maybe try that at some point?

Also, unlike previously implied, this weekend will not be AC, but AMS again. Because I'm in the mood for it and the server setup isn't such a joke. F3 at either Johannesburg Historic or Montreal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think there are maybe 3-4 people who actually buy stuff in R3E around here so any racing on there isn't likely.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

GhostDog posted:

There was talk about DTM on Discord, and the DTM 2015 in R3E drives really good. Do we have enough people with R3E to maybe try that at some point?

Also, unlike previously implied, this weekend will not be AC, but AMS again. Because I'm in the mood for it and the server setup isn't such a joke. F3 at either Johannesburg Historic or Montreal.

That sounds awesome... more F3 needs to happen when I'm not busy, after a few more Sundays.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I'm just waiting for that flashing light post for Sunday.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren:

Next Event:

Decided to go with Montreal because Johannesburg seems like one to use to inaugurate the new Vintage F1 once they leave beta.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 6, 2016

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Guys GUYS

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651939391

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

FINALLY.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You can have a christmas.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My favourite part of the series of videos he did was when he describes how "you go in and out of cars as you would in real life", by jump crouching into the driver seat. :downs:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Jehde posted:

My favourite part of the series of videos he did was when he describes how "you go in and out of cars as you would in real life", by jump crouching into the driver seat. :downs:

What, everybody doesn't do that to get into a car? Have I been doing it wrong all these years? :ohdear:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I learned everything I know about getting in cars from Saints Row.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GhostDog posted:

:siren:

Next Event:
    Automobilista
    Using the standard early access version, not the beta!
    Sunday 08/07, 20:00 GMT/UTC
    Formula 3 (F309) @ Montreal
    Qualifying/Practice: 19:30
    Race: 20:15, ca. 25 mins

Decided to go with Montreal because Johannesburg seems like one to use to inaugurate the new Vintage F1 once they leave beta.

I assume this will be done by Gooncar?
Also How good ar you guys, I can mostly get through a bunch of laps without murdering it on the chicane. Do I need the AMS mods listed in the AC server thread in order to play?
Just trying to plan out my computer, shopping, and DVR'd Truck race watching times tomorrow.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

tater_salad posted:

I assume this will be done by Gooncar?
Also How good ar you guys, I can mostly get through a bunch of laps without murdering it on the chicane. Do I need the AMS mods listed in the AC server thread in order to play?
Just trying to plan out my computer, shopping, and DVR'd Truck race watching times tomorrow.

The mods in the server thread are just Assetto Corsa mods, we're not currently using any mods on Automobilista. That might change, but certainly not before the 1.0 is out.

Skill level varies, we try to race clean but incidents happen and so far no one flipped out about it. If we have any problem it's participation, so just jump in.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

so far no one flipped out about it.

speak for yourself > : (

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

OhsH posted:

speak for yourself > : (

Let's do a bunch more races at Toban, OhsH's favorite track ever!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

Let's do a bunch more races at Toban, OhsH's favorite track ever!

.....what the gently caress is that???

i thought i wanted to murder mills metropark, unless thats the same thing

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

No, that's the one, I'm mixing fake track names up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Toban is the other fictional rFactor track ISI thinks people give a poo poo about.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
HI.
Since ghostdog isn't going to be around for NEXT SUNDAY'S AUTOMOBILISTA RAYCE, I will be taking that poo poo the fark over, with automobilista, same time.

I would like to do either of the lancers, BUT I CANNOT DECIDE what track to do.

Personally, I am thinking road atlanta mod because if you know me at all you know I love racing there. BUT I'll leave the track poo poo up to a vote, discuss and argue and debate. We can stay with non-mod tracks if everybody wants, but, no matter what we choose, I kinda wanna knock it out early so i can set up all the necessary poo poo server wise. Thank you for your time, you bunch of dicks.

Seriously come drive automobilista on sundays at... uh... time, thanks ghostdoggie.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I vote "the one you hate."

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Practicing for the AMS race right now. Hit me up on Discord or Mumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tried loving around with FOV and seating position and the controls for the seat position don't work. Dunno, maybe it takes .ini file fuckery but I'll try again next week.