Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im gaye posted:

Hard to Be a God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

I think that really depends on if you consider the grotesque a facet of horror.

I tried to watch this movie once, but couldn't make heads or tails of the first 15 minutes. I had no idea what was going on! Are things eventually explained or is the whole movie kinda nonsensical? Or maybe I just didn't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Kvlt! posted:

I tried to watch this movie once, but couldn't make heads or tails of the first 15 minutes. I had no idea what was going on! Are things eventually explained or is the whole movie kinda nonsensical? Or maybe I just didn't understand it.

I thought the dreamy Slaughterhouse 5-esque premise was basically explained in the opening credits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yay, Opera is back on Shudder and they fixed the play back issue. I forgot how goddamn great this film was shot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im gaye posted:

I thought the dreamy Slaughterhouse 5-esque premise was basically explained in the opening credits.

I'll give it another go, it was probably me not being attentive enough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

InfiniteZero posted:

Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) for awesome 80s workout outfits, hair, and music:

This naturally double-features perfectly with Death Spa:

(Killer Workout is a slasher, Death Spa is more supernatural - or "techno-natural" I guess?)

Society is well known but nails down "yuppie" culture of the 80s.

Maybe Sorority House Massacre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51e1usmCCg

I find that the 80s bleeds through into almost everything made during that period really (the exception being "art" films like Possession).

The aforementioned Night of the Comet is probably the most 80s feeling film I can think of. Maybe Spookies?

Thanks! These are perfect!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

It's not really a horror movie though.

Hard To Be A God is more misery than horror, but like my boy Kenneth says, existential.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

K. Waste posted:

It's existential horror.

If we're gonna be that broad then Brazil and every other movie like that becomes a horror movie.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I also think 12 Monkeys is very disturbing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Brazil is most definitely a horror film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gilliam is really great at horror and misery, and I have no idea why he never made a straight horror flick. Brothers Grimm (good lord) is probably the closest to it. Or Zero Theorem.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gilliam is really great at horror and misery, and I have no idea why he never made a straight horror flick. Brothers Grimm (good lord) is probably the closest to it. Or Zero Theorem.

Brothers Grimm is scary, but not in the way he'd probably like. :v:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't seen it but isn't Tideland (atleast supposed to be) a horror movie?

Watched a random slasher I had never heard of the other night and I'm kind of suprised I hadn't because it was both pretty good and had a lot of the frameworks that later films blatantly copied (I'm looking at you, slaughter high and terror train!), especially considering it came out in 1979. Whole thing has a really uneasy atmosphere and some of the kills are pretty brutal despite being mostly bloodless, plus the killer hams it up to the max which is always fun.

Favorite scene (don't watch if you don't want one of the kills to be spoiled)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG9zsoQM-Y0&t=3190s

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Tideland is a really dark and uncomfortable comedy, which can be construed to mean horror. Wouldn't call it horror myself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I feel like the closest Gilliam got to horror was the torture room scenes in Brazil.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Even the reaper shots in Munchausen outclass most dedicated genre flicks.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Am I alone in saying I didn't like the middle part of The Hallow? I liked the beginning, it did a good job of establishing tone and tension. And I accepted and grew to like the end. But for a while, the middle lost me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Brazil is most definitely a horror film.

okay

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Gilliam throws in everything but the kitchen sink.

I like some of his movies and all, but some of them completely derail themselves.

PS > I know I'm going to start a flame war, but Fear & Loathing, Dr. Parnassus, and Time Bandits are the only 3 movies I think are good.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

The Bananana posted:

Am I alone in saying I didn't like the middle part of The Hallow? I liked the beginning, it did a good job of establishing tone and tension. And I accepted and grew to like the end. But for a while, the middle lost me.

Overall, I thought Hallow was more original than, say, We Are Still Here, Southbound, or Creep.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ObamaPhone posted:

I like some of his movies and all, but some of them completely derail themselves.

PS > I know I'm going to start a flame war, but Fear & Loathing, Dr. Parnassus, and Time Bandits are the only 3 movies I think are good.

My picks would be Brazil, Time Bandits, and begrudgingly Tideland

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'll take Tideland as a recommendation.

Seems like a good movie based on the Wiki I just read.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Zero Theorem is good, but it also feels like it was written and directed on a bet that he couldn't make something even bleaker / nastier than Brazil.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Alhazred posted:

If we're gonna be that broad then Brazil and every other movie like that becomes a horror movie.

Forgot for a second that was a movie and linked Brazil with the current cluster guck in Rio for the Olympics and just nodded my head in agreement.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Bananana posted:

Totally with you on this. It set up a cool atmosphere, the initial encounters are actually kind of chilling, but it lost some major steam after the first 30-45 minutes or so. I got bored.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I had forgotten how wonderful Michael Moriarty was in The Stuff. That accent :love:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm glad we agree.

ObamaPhone posted:

It's funny you mention Time Bandits as one of your personal top three because I'd call it the most striking example of Gilliam's everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach you criticise in your own post. Twelve Monkeys, Brazil, and The Fisher King are all far more thematically and stylistically consistent.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What are some other horror movies like the 2006 Black Christmas (Suspiria is probably another good example) that are really bright, vibrant, and colorful? I'm inspired by the Christmas lights in Stranger Things to find other moves like this. Suspiria isn't the best example (thought I could be wrong because I haven't seen it in several years) because I'm looking for movies that utilize a lot of DIFFERENT and contrasting colors, like in Black Christmas, and I am remembering Suspria being a lot of reds and whites.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TBeats posted:

What are some other horror movies like the 2006 Black Christmas (Suspiria is probably another good example) that are really bright, vibrant, and colorful? I'm inspired by the Christmas lights in Stranger Things to find other moves like this. Suspiria isn't the best example (thought I could be wrong because I haven't seen it in several years) because I'm looking for movies that utilize a lot of DIFFERENT and contrasting colors, like in Black Christmas, and I am remembering Suspria being a lot of reds and whites.

Masque of the Red Death. I just saw it a few weeks ago and its one of the most colorful horror movies I've ever seen.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TBeats posted:

House of a Thousand Corpses, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Nightmare on Elm Street 4, a lot of Tales from the Crypt episodes, Twilight Zone the Movie, TerrorVision.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Masque of the Red Death is a great choice. Hausu and Jigoku are worth a look as well.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

TBeats posted:

Krampus would be a good choice.

It's colorful, Christmas-y, and was directed by the same guy who did Trick 'r Treat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TBeats posted:

Requiem for a Vampire (1971)

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

Regarding your werewolf question, I liked Late Phases a lot and would recommend it to everyone. I also thought Howl was a bunch of fun.

Late Phases was very good.

4/5 star for me, even if the werewolf design is questionable.

Nick Damici did a great job as a blind Vietnam Vet taking down the werewolf threat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

TBeats posted:

Blood and Black Lace

That film is super colorful and wonderful to just look at.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for all the recommendations. Between my question about cold opens and colorful movies I probably have enough to last through the end of the year.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Masque of the Red Death. I just saw it a few weeks ago and its one of the most colorful horror movies I've ever seen.

Not as colorful as this one, but maybe my personal favorite horror movie The Abominable Dr Phibes?

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Not as colorful as this one, but maybe my personal favorite horror movie The Abominable Dr Phibes?

You think that's Vincent Price's best movie?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's close.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

It's my favorite for sure, but it would be hard to nail a "best performance". He's capable of being extremely funny in his own way. I really liked Comedy of Terrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ObamaPhone posted:

You think that's Vincent Price's best movie?

I never said that, I said it is my favorite horror movie.