Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair it does sort of cover that bit. In short, Christian becomes Green Lantern.

Did they manage to cover anything resembling the arcs where Supershock goes nutso, or where Walker is an immortal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Argue posted:

Did they manage to cover anything resembling the arcs where Supershock goes nutso, or where Walker is an immortal?

Season 2 sort of covers the Supershock is crazy bit, but they spend 8 episodes treading water and then in 2x9 they're like "OH poo poo SUPERSHOCK IS CRRRRAZY."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ask Bendis on Twitter. Unless he banned you for posting something negative about something he did but not even actually @ing him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Powers was a PSN only joint, and also the only PSN only joint I know of so I'm not surprised it didn't last.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Ask Bendis on Twitter. Unless he banned you for posting something negative about something he did but not even actually @ing him.

If you're civil he's usually open to questions. His tweet says "for now" so he may not be willing to give that up yet. He probably plans to shop the show around again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Powers was a PSN only joint, and also the only PSN only joint I know of so I'm not surprised it didn't last.
I vaguely recall some terrible reality show where the "winner" got a game testing job.

Rhyno posted:

If you're civil he's usually open to questions. His tweet says "for now" so he may not be willing to give that up yet. He probably plans to shop the show around again.
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that multiple people on here have said he's blocked them for saying negative things towards his work on Twitter that he found by searching for his own name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I vaguely recall some terrible reality show where the "winner" got a game testing job.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that multiple people on here have said he's blocked them for saying negative things towards his work on Twitter that he found by searching for his own name.

He did block me a while back but I guess he gave amnesty and unblocked a lot of people. I gushed on him over Iron Man 3 and he faved and retweeted it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Matthew McCaull, who some of you may know as Sebastian from iZombie, has been cast as Commander Steel in Legends of Tomorrow.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Matthew McCaull, who some of you may know as Sebastian from iZombie, has been cast as Commander Steel in Legends of Tomorrow.

Oh! Commander Steel is some deep diving. he is totally dead and that is too bad already.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-chief-on-networks-future-more-marvel-more-procedurals-and-maybe-star-wars-1201830532/

ABC: We want to do more Marvel shows, but we want the next one to be "as creatively strong as it can be," which presumably explains why they didn't pick up The Same Show As Powerless or Agents of SHIELD: Now With a Smaller Team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
LoT season two: Executive producer admits, "Yeah we kinda screwed up in the first season."

quote:

The producers were quick to take responsibility for the unevenness of "Legends," noting that the series' unorthodox beginnings created problems throughout the first season. "I guess the biggest lesson is, before you break a first episode, it's really important that you take a step back and think about the ramifications of everything," Klemmer said. "Because we didn't do a pilot, it was like stepping on a moving train, and we didn't know where it was headed. You can change the speed of that train, conceivably you can have people run up ahead and try to move the tracks a little bit, but it's not easy to do. It's much easier to do at the incubation stage.

"We really took our hiatus this year and took the show apart, and rebuilt it piece by piece. We're much more deliberate, just thinking about where is this going to take us," Klemmer continued. "A lot of the story of Season 1 felt like they were compulsory because we put certain story elements into motion. You killed Rip's family, you've got to avenge that. We said that Vandal Savage is going to ruin the world, we've got to stop that. Oh, we revealed who our bad guy is, that doesn't leave much room for mystery. "

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

At least they acknowledge that season 1 was basically: gently caress the rules, we are doing whatever we want this week.

also bad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Rewatching the Netflix Marvel stuff as I anticipate Luke Cage. The second time around I can see the cracks. There's really not very many though. I still don't resonate with Foggy much at all. The best side character is Melvin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The actor playing Foggy is pretty poo poo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've never seen him in anything else. I don't mind his acting, it's the character that I don't like. I still don't like Karen much either. And that's in spite of Deborah being absolutely beautiful. The Punisher is still cool as poo poo. So's Purple Man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I've never seen him in anything else. I don't mind his acting, it's the character that I don't like. I still don't like Karen much either. And that's in spite of Deborah being absolutely beautiful. The Punisher is still cool as poo poo. So's Purple Man.

I... I don't think you understood those shows... :gonk:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like foggy

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

I... I don't think you understood those shows... :gonk:

It's okay to like storylines, characters, and concepts. As long as I don't say I want to BE the Purple Man, I think it's okay.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

SonicRulez posted:

Karen has an interesting storyline but the actress fails to carry it. She always sounds frantic and out of breath, even in a calm scene.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Foggy and Karen are, to me, easily the best parts of Daredevil season one. Punisher outshines both a tiny bit in season two because the performance was so compelling. Purple Man was pretty great in terms of making me absolutely LOATHE a villain. He played the sympathy angle well - "no one has ever truly loved me, I had to fend for myself" but even with him playing that to the hilt I couldn't garner any real sympathy for him. Truly a villain I loved to hate.

I loved Cage's fighting style in Jessica Jones and it looks like we'll see more of that in his solo series - he doesn't brawl so much as he casually slaps dudes out of the way. I am looking forward to Danny laying him on his rear end at some point as a "holy poo poo how strong is this guy" kind of moment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Foggy is extremely good and well acted actually.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Kingpin is better than Foggy and Karen across both seasons. I recognize that I'm in the minority of not liking Foggy as a character. He's just so constantly whiny. About every single thing. That's his character and it's not endearing. I felt a tiny bit of sympathy for Kilgrave, but not because of the child abuse and homelessness. I felt that little twinge for him when he explained that he actually can't control his powers at all. So he has to meticulously be aware of every minor thing he says and has been that way since childhood. I just think of jokingly telling a friend "gently caress off" and then imagine them running and jumping out a window or something.

What was with DD Season 2 and coffee?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 7, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Any chance of sympathy Kilgrave had was burned to the loving ground when he tried to argue semantics about raping Jessica and every other woman he used his powers to get his rocks off like his personal RealDolls.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I always found that the more Kilgrave talked, the less of a chilling, intimidating villain he was and he instead just came across real whiny and annoying. I still haven't decided if that was the point or not.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BrianWilly posted:

I always found that the more Kilgrave talked, the less of a chilling, intimidating villain he was and he instead just came across real whiny and annoying. I still haven't decided if that was the point or not.

I think it was intentional. They first try to make you feel for him as he "never really knew whether people liked him for him or liked him because he told them to", but as the story progresses you realize he is just a whiny, spoiled brat who wants everything and when he can't have Jessica he becomes obsessed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gaz-L posted:

Any chance of sympathy Kilgrave had was burned to the loving ground when he tried to argue semantics about raping Jessica and every other woman he used his powers to get his rocks off like his personal RealDolls.

Well yeah, if you end up feeling for him by the end, you're probably a monster. A monster and a half.

BrianWilly posted:

I would say it's super intentional if you consider we're experiencing the story through Jessica's point of view. The more she gets of him (and we the viewer when she's not there) while she isn't under his absolute control, the more his facade is shattered. He's not the boogeyman. He's not Kilgrave. He's Kevin. A whiny bastard lashing out at the world because mommy and daddy didn't hug him enough...and sorta stabbed him in the neck with a bunch of needles.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Right. I think he's fooled himself into believing his sympathetic bullshit but we, being immune to his abilities, see him as a whiny manipulative shithead.

As for the real sympathetic thing of him being unable to control his powers? I don't think he's ever considered an actual solution to that problem. Monks who live under a vow of silence exist. He could even use his abilities to set himself up for life in some morally grey (to him) way, then voluntarily withdraw from society as much as possible. But nope, can't control my powers, better rape and kill my way through one of the most populated cities on earth! gently caress off, Kevin.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They did a fabulous job having Kilgrave be technically honest but completely disingenuous and self centered. Sometimes this is done pretty blatantly, like the way he says he never told Jessica to kill the woman, just to "take care of her", and some ways it is a bit more subtle/questionable, like the way he never reveals anything about himself unless it will give him an advantage.

He's a manipulator who will never lie about facts so that he can say he's the most honest person around. He will say whatever his to his advantage when he talks about non-facts, like interpretations and feelings.

I think, just given my own experiences, this is a real tactic manipulators use, so if you fall for it you should be careful. Regarding his powers being some kind of curse, he was pretty good about not using his power on Jessica when he knew it wouldn't work. He even told her he was doing it because he wanted her to choose to be with him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Simone Missick is confirmed to be in Iron Fist as I expected. Which makes me happy because I was really hoping for Misty Knight to be there considering their history.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

StumblyWumbly posted:

They did a fabulous job having Kilgrave be technically honest but completely disingenuous and self centered. Sometimes this is done pretty blatantly, like the way he says he never told Jessica to kill the woman, just to "take care of her", and some ways it is a bit more subtle/questionable, like the way he never reveals anything about himself unless it will give him an advantage.

He's a manipulator who will never lie about facts so that he can say he's the most honest person around. He will say whatever his to his advantage when he talks about non-facts, like interpretations and feelings.

I think, just given my own experiences, this is a real tactic manipulators use, so if you fall for it you should be careful. Regarding his powers being some kind of curse, he was pretty good about not using his power on Jessica when he knew it wouldn't work. He even told her he was doing it because he wanted her to choose to be with him.

Twice. Twice I watched the series and only now am I really paying attention to the fact that he knew he couldn't control Jessica the entire time. He was just giving her a bullshit reason as to why in case she caught him slipping. Because he knew if she figured it out ahead of schedule, he was hosed. Wow. I didn't give JJ enough credit the first time around. I liked it more in the second go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So now they're saying that all the CW DC shows will have the same bad guy next season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

muscles like this? posted:

So now they're saying that all the CW DC shows will have the same bad guy next season.

I thought that was just for the cross over event? Kind of like Savage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Even Supergirl?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm having trouble finding the article so it might be bad info.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I assume this is an additional villain thing, since Arrow already announced an underpowered crime boss as theirs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder how Arrow, Supergirl and LoT will deal with an Evil Speedster.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Badly, my guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Way better than Barry.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Way better than Barry.

Barry IS the evil speedster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the writers will be the villains again this season