Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Just watched a Lexington do nothing but auto-drops

He auto-dropped torpedoes on the side of a Yorck

There was an island there so no torpedoes appeared

:negative:

Could you imagine sitting in a TB and being ordered to drop your torpedo onto an island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Could you imagine sitting in a TB and being ordered to drop your torpedo onto an island

Could be worse I suppose

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Could be worse I suppose

Nah, that's just hardcore pilot training to weed out the best pilots for your squadrons. You either learn to dodge trees fast as you take off, or you die horribly and the next challenger tries their luck. So by the end all your pilot are either insanely skilled at maneuvering, or so lucky they might as well be. :v:

Was actually looking for the old pic of a CV on top of a mountain due to spawn points bugging out to end this post, but cannot seem to find it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I bought the 10 port slot bundle, and the very next game after I got my very first ever personal offer... of 10 slots for 2400 gold (20% off). Thanks Wargaming t:mad:

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, that's just hardcore pilot training to weed out the best pilots for your squadrons. You either learn to dodge trees fast as you take off, or you die horribly and the next challenger tries their luck. So by the end all your pilot are either insanely skilled at maneuvering, or so lucky they might as well be. :v:
Well it'd certainly explain how planes can 180 in like a second in this game

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Bowfin_(SS-287)

On 16 July, Bowfin left Hawaii and headed for the Ryukyu Islands. She encountered no worthwhile targets until 9 August, when her crew sighted four ships heading for the harbor at Minami Daito. She trailed them into port and, after they had moored, fired her bow torpedoes, blowing up two and damaging a third. A stray torpedo hit a dock, sending a bus careering into the water, an incident the Cary Grant comedy film Operation Petticoat incorporated into its story line in 1959 (Grant yelling "We sunk a truck!")

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Where is the EU crew? I've started drinking heavily. If I don't get a division soon I'm gonna be in a coma within 2 hours...

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Kim Jong ill posted:

Lost because our team doesn't know how to cap.

New thread title.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Is the Tirpitz worth the slightly stupid amount of money for it? I was going to go buy doubloons to convert some free XP with and started contemplating it, but $55 bucks is a lot of money for one loving ship.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

Is the Tirpitz worth the slightly stupid amount of money for it? I was going to go buy doubloons to convert some free XP with and started contemplating it, but $55 bucks is a lot of money for one loving ship.

Have it, hate it.
It would be a good ship at lower tier but high tier long range battle are not kind to it due to bad accuracy, bad penetration at range and bad deck armor.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Krogort posted:

Have it, hate it.
It would be a good ship at lower tier but high tier long range battle are not kind to it due to bad accuracy, bad penetration at range and bad deck armor.

I saw this before your ninja edit. Is the Atago a better pick because you're a torp lover? I'm not sure how guns that are a third bigger in diameter than the Atago (Tirpitz) have such bad penetration that you'd recommend against it. 10km torpedoes are nice, but I prefer dakka unless I'm playing a DD.

e: I'm also pretty much an idiot when it comes to this game. I haven't been up on the constant tweaks WG has made to this game since last year.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
How to tirpitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgNfhQFTY7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6g8va0G0Y

My experience has been that it is a decent ship. you just have to play more like a destroyer in that you hug islands to get close.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Compared to the other T8 cruisers, the Atago is more versatile while remaining competitive at everything but anti-air.
It's stealthy, has good torpedoes, excelent HE, solid AP and is quite survivable.

Of course don't buy it if you don't like cruisers.

I find the Tirpitz to be worse than the Amagi and North Carolina.
Everything in it beg you to close range with the ennemy and your teammates being the cowards they are, will abandon you 90% of the time leaving you to get focused and promptly sunk without support.
That being said, I have a solid 60% win rate with it, which is much higher than my all-ships average...I also have 36% surv rate with it.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 6, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I find the Tirpitz fantastic, but the upcoming Bismarck will be better.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheDemon posted:

I find the Tirpitz fantastic, but the upcoming Bismarck will be better.

Bismarck doesn't get metal fishes though

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Bismarck doesn't get metal fishes though

It gets 7km secondaries + german sonar. DDs will not be amused when they smoke up only to have you sonar them and suddenly get felled by your secondaries.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Oh boy I just had the loving mother of all Atlanta games.

I had the Credit flag on plus Premium account and First Win bonus. Also had the Commander XP flag so he gained 18k XP.

Clinched the final kill from the claws of our CV with a Triple Citadel on the enemy CV.

Pretty sure thats the highest base XP I've ever managed in the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

It gets 7km secondaries + german sonar. DDs will not be amused when they smoke up only to have you sonar them and suddenly get felled by your secondaries.

Ok so it has that going for it, which is nice

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Had a Scharnhorst in a game today as an ally, the turrets seem to move pretty fast. And also 3 torpedoes per side. Definitely excited for the german BB line.

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 6, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I'm sort of tempted to put down the 75 bucks for the 360 day premium sale.

I usually have an on-again-off-again relationship with this game, but $6.25 per month of premium is tough to argue with.

I suppose it would be worth it if I played a bunch during at least six months of the year, since monthly premium costs ~$12/month. But I dunno. :shrug:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I'm sort of tempted to put down the 75 bucks for the 360 day premium sale.

I usually have an on-again-off-again relationship with this game, but $6.25 per month of premium is tough to argue with.

I suppose it would be worth it if I played a bunch during at least six months of the year, since monthly premium costs ~$12/month. But I dunno. :shrug:

That's kind of my issue too. I definitely have a love-hate relationship with it.

Ended up buying theLo YangLo Wang, and while that was probably a retarded decision, this ship is stupid fun to gently caress around with.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I'm thinking about buying the Polish DD (that thinks it's a cruiser?) as my lonely premium. What are goons experiences with it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm thinking about buying the Polish DD (that thinks it's a cruiser?) as my lonely premium. What are goons experiences with it?

I really like it.

It's crazy fast and the gun hits hard.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's kind of my issue too. I definitely have a love-hate relationship with it.

Ended up buying theLo YangLo Wang, and while that was probably a retarded decision, this ship is stupid fun to gently caress around with.
Lo Yang is good and fun so you chose correctly

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

AfroSquirrel posted:

It's pretty good. It's basically a slightly slower Kiev with 8km torps and the ability to stealth fire with AFT.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcmwPYCUysw

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

El_Molestadore posted:

Where is the EU crew? I've started drinking heavily. If I don't get a division soon I'm gonna be in a coma within 2 hours...

We are kinda disorganized on EU, if any of us are actually left.

Name on EU is Panzerblitz, add me and let's share the pain.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

The Tirpitz is amazing. Don't be a pussy and sit around sniping. It's a God-tier brawler. Both it and the Atago are basically credit printing presses.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

The tricky part with the Tirpitz is finding the correct balance between sniping and brawling.

You can put some incredible pressure on the other team if you push into their faces at the right moment, since most pubs are deadly afraid of knife fights. But the key is not to overextend yourself and become a focus target. Also never rely on pubs to charge with your or provide support, since most of the time they won't and will just sit behind using you as shield.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

El Disco posted:

It's pretty good. It's basically a slightly slower Kiev with 8km torps and the ability to stealth fire with AFT.

Actually it has stealth firing with a brand new captain for 300m. AFT and concealment expert bump it up to 2.7.

LWM Blys review http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/62619-premium-ship-review-orp-blyskawica/

Edit: with both skills actually 4.2 km maybe? I only have AFT on mine.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 7, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a good reason to spend the XP and credits for the gun upgrade on the Cleveland? Seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 7, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Plus, being a Polish boat, you can make cracks about how you just stole their game with your stolen boat, and how your captain works for less, so you get more profit.

...that'll have more weight on the EU server, of course.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

The tricky part with the Tirpitz is finding the correct balance between sniping and brawling.

You can put some incredible pressure on the other team if you push into their faces at the right moment, since most pubs are deadly afraid of knife fights. But the key is not to overextend yourself and become a focus target. Also never rely on pubs to charge with your or provide support, since most of the time they won't and will just sit behind using you as shield.

All very true. It's a balance. I am a little biased though because brawling is my favorite style of play.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Devorum posted:

Is there a good reason to spend the XP and credits for the gun upgrade on the Cleveland? Seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

You exchange turret rotation for more shells in the air, take it if you think it is worth the trade off.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Just what we thought, the Kurfürst is gonna be a torp magnet. The guy playing it said it's almost 1/3 longer than the Yamato.

Compare the width of the spread to the length of the ship. He also landed some nice salvos directly on a front angled Tirpitz and did almost no damage. I will probably free xp myself to the Bismarck for a secondary build, but I'm wary of the T10 BB.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 7, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Holy poo poo, the Kirov turns slower and wider than my New Mexico. Does the Russian Cruiser line get better,?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So, today was a good day for the 300% XP event.

according to warships today, 74K average damage across 9 games, including one that I had to quit at the start.

wolfman101 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 7, 2016

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Went into the Discord today, found some people to derp around in boats with, ended up with two people who really knew what they were doing. I can just about to manage to find the 'w' key. Ended up with enough experience to buy a Colorado and the Nagato's C hull. 10/10 would get carried repeatedly to victory again.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Devorum posted:

Holy poo poo, the Kirov turns slower and wider than my New Mexico. Does the Russian Cruiser line get better,?

The Moskva is probably the best t10 in the game right now if that answers your question.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

The Moskva is probably the best t10 in the game right now if that answers your question.

I'm kind of getting the hang of the Kirov. It's not a bad boat, but if you get caught out you're toast. Very, very unforgiving. Maybe it'll force me to stop being an over aggressive Bad when it comes to cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Complications posted:

Went into the Discord today, found some people to derp around in boats with, ended up with two people who really knew what they were doing. I can just about to manage to find the 'w' key. Ended up with enough experience to buy a Colorado and the Nagato's C hull. 10/10 would get carried repeatedly to victory again.

Arishtat is an excellent player!