Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pinny posted:

And finally, there's the damage.

What is the problem here? It looks like the other pics to me (I don't know poo poo about engines).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The big vertical scratches on the inside of the cylinder. Those indicate that the engine was run low on oil, and without lubrication, the piston rings scraped up the metal. Now it won't seal properly -- oil will leak upwards into the combustion chamber and burn off, and compression will be lowered as gases escape down into the crankcase.

The solution is to bore out the cylinder -- that's a machining process where you run a cutting tool along the inside in a circle, removing all of the scratched material and leaving a new smooth surface. That makes the cylinder slightly bigger, so you also need oversized replacement pistons.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 2, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A used motor is probably cheaper.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
not worth it to resleeve?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

The solution is to bore out the cylinder -- that's a machining process where you run a cutting tool along the inside in a circle, removing all of the scratched material and leaving a new smooth surface. That makes the cylinder slightly bigger, so you also need oversized replacement pistons.

Isn't there a thing where you bore out the cylinder and then slip a ring of metal inside to narrow it back down to the original spec?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, depending on the engine design you can also pull out the cast-iron sleeves and replace them with new ones, or bore it and install sleeves de novo. I'd say it's not worth it unless the pistons are totally fine and you can reuse them.

Considering that this is a 125cc air-cooled motor, so there are like a hundred million of them in the world, it's almost certainly cheaper to just pick up a running one from a junkyard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, depending on the engine design you can also pull out the cast-iron sleeves and replace them with new ones, or bore it and install sleeves de novo. I'd say it's not worth it unless the pistons are totally fine and you can reuse them.

Considering that this is a 125cc air-cooled motor, so there are like a hundred million of them in the world, it's almost certainly cheaper to just pick up a running one from a junkyard.

It's liquid cooled, the coolant jacket is right there :cmon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, right :doh:

Well, it's still probably cheaper to get a junkyard engine just because it always is. Machining work is expensive.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can't just drop a new cylinder and piston in that baby?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Yes, but second hand engines are all over the place and easy to get hold of. A fully refurbed engine only cost me a little more than new parts would, and is a lot less time an effort.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New chain & adjusted the shifter.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Replaced side cover with one that has non-welded timing ports :v: . Painted it and installed with new stainless hardware. Finally I can do a valve adjustment.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
huh. what bike is that? Looks so similar to my transalp 600, just a little different hardware around the water pump and shifter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hawk GT. It's the same engine as the XL650V, but in a sport frame. It's the original, classiest version of the Monster and the SV650.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

The big vertical scratches on the inside of the cylinder. Those indicate that the engine was run low on oil, and without lubrication, the piston rings scraped up the metal. Now it won't seal properly -- oil will leak upwards into the combustion chamber and burn off, and compression will be lowered as gases escape down into the crankcase.

Thanks for educating me :].

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Sold the CB650. Bought a spanking new VFR800. Can't wait to pick it up...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Barnsy posted:

Sold the CB650. Bought a spanking new VFR800. Can't wait to pick it up...

Sweet, get us some pictures and a ride report!

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Gorson posted:

Sweet, get us some pictures and a ride report!

Just waiting for a cheque to clear and then I get to go pay for the rest of it!

Got it in red, brand new, got a rather awesome deal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPTwqaKh6Q :yum:

welp after a summer of pretty much no maintenance it finally caught up and kicked me in the rear end.

headgasket + oil change + valve check.
grips
(another) exhaust repack
rear shock was replaced and charged.

found 4 broken spokes too. weeee

embarrasingly enough, this is why the headgasket failed.

turns out cometic put the rivets for the big bore mls gaskets a touch too close, and on a friday night after work, i totally loving missed it. (that night I also missed the part where the fsm stated the wrong torque spec)
~3500mi on the 470.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Oh man I love a good creampie vid

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
pillow top grips don't last long or i am still death gripping but the tops of mine are basically smooth now and they're all sticky from the wear

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Spouses bike had pillow tops and they went gross fast. I used waffles for 2ish years before they went gross.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Oh man I love a good creampie vid

It never milkshaked, just some awesome capillary action and a little failure in the fire ring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've never liked pillow top grips, they ball up and get sticky and gross. Somewhat harder grips for life

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Two months in and I've put about 1200 miles on my CBR250 so far. Put on a integrated tail light last week and put on a Yoshimura fender eliminator on my cbr250 today. If only because the HB eliminator I put on last week is terrible and didn't line up at all. So, $50 lesson learned I suppose....

However, why Yoshi makes you splice the connector from your old plate light onto the new one is beyond me, gently caress butt connectors forever though. Other than that it's a lot nicer than the HB kit and everything lines up now so I'm happy.

Still not enjoying my hands being numb after a 30-45 min commute though. Any options for big fluffy marshmallow grips for sportbikes? Or am I mostly stuck with the harder rubber grips?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stop deathgripping the bars and it'll go away by itself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've never liked pillow top grips, they ball up and get sticky and gross. Somewhat harder grips for life

Full knurl pattern 4 lyfe

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Convex knurl is the awesomest

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Full knurl pattern 4 lyfe

:same:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Whatever came on the bike and wrap it in tennis racquet handle tape if it gets too smooth. :frog:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Renaissance Robot posted:

Whatever came on the bike and wrap it in tennis racquet handle tape if it gets too smooth. :frog:

Grips or over grips?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
grip-a-grips

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Tennis racquets have the grip they come with. But players sometimes put an extra thin disposable wrap grip on top of that, called an over grip. Wasn't sure which one you were referring to, as you can buy both.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I did a much needed first service for my fz.

Changed oil, adjusted clean and lubed chain, went over bolts and screws on everything.

Also I made my own manometer and synced the throttle bodies.

Before, #3 was out a bit.

After, as close as I could make them considering how much it pulsed the fluid.

Runs much smoother under 5k or so now, not sure if that's just because of the adjustment to the throttle bodies or because she got the works. Whatever it was she's very happy now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well done! If you put restrictors in, it smooths out. Just a bit somewhere in the tube with a very narrow passage.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The connectors on the top there are restrictors but i think the tubes themselves were a little too big and just allowed too much air movement. Still worked well enough, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buhbuhj posted:

The connectors on the top there are restrictors but i think the tubes themselves were a little too big and just allowed too much air movement. Still worked well enough, though.

The restrictions have to be TINY, the ones on my carbtune are quite literally less than a mm wide hole. Even then the little pistons still bounce a bit if it's really badly out of whack.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New brake light bulb, new mirrors(yay!) and swapped out the bolts holding my topbox on for a smoother top bolt so stuff doesn't get scratched as bad. I should just get 1/4" foam in the bottom of the box but :effort:

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
'New' refurbed engine arrived, just needed all the old parts moving over, hoses, injector, throttle body and a few brackets.

Shiny and clean, probably not for long though

Took some time once the engine was in to tidy up the rats nest above the head cover. Should have good access in future by just removing the coil from the bracket you can see above the head cover.

All the important bits back together, fluids in, and started up first press of the button.

One small issue with a small radiator -> water pump hose. The barb on the new pump seems to be ever so slightly smaller than old one and the hose doesn't get a good seal. Solved for now by tightening up the springy hose clamp a little but i'll probably need to replace that hose soon or put a better clamp on.

The pain in the rear end jigsaw of plastics will go on tomorrow once I'm happy there's no other leaks. Chain needs lubed and tire pressures checked, then it's off for a little test ride.

I bought one of these recently too: http://www.tru-tension.com/chain-monkey/ getting the chain back on and adjusted correctly turned an annoying back and forth job (at least with the adjusters on this bike) into a 5 minute piece of cake. Recommend grabbing one if chain adjustments annoy you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I did my first wheelie today. :toot:

I did not die so I'll probably do another. And another. Until I eventually do die.