Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet. Thanks. I'm actually at the dealer waiting for them to clean my new CR-V now so I can take it home. I came to the same conclusion that it wasn't worth a 10%+ premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did wind up getting a Pacifica

it's dope af so far

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Presuming comparable price and mileage, anyone have impressions on how the 2014 Camry compares to the 2014 Civic? Basic trim levels on both.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Camry is a considerably larger car than the Civic. The Corolla and Civic are the "compact" cars, while the Camry and Accord are more "mid-size".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on buying through Costco?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Am I dumb for wanting a different car every year or two? I like cars and trying different things, so I feel like a 5+ year commitment is too much of a chunk of my life. Plus, my way means I can get a slightly newer car every once in a while.

Am I guaranteed to lose more stacks of cash than keeping a car for 5 years then selling?

I just bought a 2003 Volvo S40 and plan to keep it for a year or two. :) Unfortunately, it costs at least $400 in one-time costs to register an acquired used car in my city/state.

I also considered buying a car like this: https://www.enterprisecarsales.com/car/395911/2014_HYUNDAI_Elantra_Limited_Sedan_4D?lpid=37075 and selling in a year or two.

Also considered short term leases, but those monthly payments are so high (like $400-500 a month) just for you to have to say goodbye after a year after spending $5k. Seems too unaffordable for me.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
If you're just swapping used cars every few years like the Volvo you mentioned, you won't be losing much money since the depreciation has mostly already happened. The difference in price/worth between a 13 year old Volvo and a 15 year old Volvo in the same condition should be relatively negligible, aside from the registration costs you mentioned.

This is why the payments on a two year lease like the ones you're looking at are so high, you're basically just paying the depreciation costs(plus a little extra) that the car will experience over those two years. And the first two years are the worst ones.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'd also note that transaction costs can be pretty big. In Texas, you pay sales taxes on the higher of either actual transaction price or what the state of Texas says the car should theoretically be worse. Sometimes the algorithm is strange and says that a beater Corolla with body damage is worth $8k and you pay a bunch of sales tax on a cheap car.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on buying through Costco?

It's a very low hassle way of buying a car. If you like the negotiation game you can probably do better on your own, but if you don't I don't think it's terrible. I only tried to use the service once, and that was years ago. It was basically "here's your costco price" ready to buy?

Michael Scott posted:

Am I dumb for wanting a different car every year or two? I like cars and trying different things, so I feel like a 5+ year commitment is too much of a chunk of my life.

Nope. Not dumb. I have automotive ADD, I get bored with cars easily. We lease my wife's car, generally get a new one every 33 to 36 months. I usually change my car every 3 years or so but tend to purchase 2-3 year old cars and keep them for about 3 years.

Is what I do a smart financial thing to do? Hell no it's not, but it makes us happy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

skipdogg posted:

It's a very low hassle way of buying a car. If you like the negotiation game you can probably do better on your own, but if you don't I don't think it's terrible. I only tried to use the service once, and that was years ago. It was basically "here's your costco price" ready to buy?

Like $200 better? Or like $1000 better?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

Like $200 better? Or like $1000 better?

Why don't you just compare Costco price to edmunds/kbb/whatever?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I bought my last car through the Costco program. The deal was dealer invoice, plus $100, minus manufacturer incentives. The only thing left to discuss was my trade in, which I took a bath on, but it was falling apart and I just wanted to be rid of it.

It ended up being pretty close to the best truecar estimates. More importantly, it was really low hassle.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Proposed Budget: 2k.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan, 4 door preferable
How will you be using the car?: Around the town usage, mainly. I try and bike as my primary mode of transportation but bike infrastructure to certain areas around here sucks and public transport is inadequate for me so there are times where I absolutely need a car. Also would like something where I can actually take people places in.
What aspects are most important to you? Ease of maintenance, reliability.

I'm basically craigslist hunting, but this is the first time I've ever actually bought a car so I'm terrified of buying a lemon. I've never been a car person; outside of "timing belts" which seems to be the warning cry of almost every used car I've looked up I really don't know what to look for in a good used vehicle. I am mechanically handy, so I'm not worried about basic maintenance, but I'm trying to avoid more complex things which are going to cost me lots of money. I'm honestly not planning on driving a whole lot, and if that changes it'll only be once I get a better job, so MPG isn't super important to me as long as it's not an awful gas guzzler.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Proposed budget: 25k
New or Used: used
Body Style: SUV

Looking for something that'll do good in the snow and let me haul around 2-3 adults comfortably, and cargo space. Not a daily driver, mostly weekends and bad weather. I'm leaning strongly to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer in the 2011-2015 year range. Eliminated many in this category because the aesthetics didn't work for me. for example a Nissan Pathfinder would hit the bullet points but I don't like the curves -- the last year that looked good was 2012. A 2011-2012 Pathfinder would be fine so opinions on that welcome too.

For people with ownership experience w. any of those specific vehicles, pros and cons? Or if you have other recommendations around that price.

Garrand posted:

How will you be using the car?: Around the town usage, mainly. I try and bike as my primary mode of transportation but bike infrastructure to certain areas around here sucks and public transport is inadequate for me so there are times where I absolutely need a car. Also would like something where I can actually take people places in.

I'm basically craigslist hunting, but this is the first time I've ever actually bought a car so I'm terrified of buying a lemon. I've never been a car person; outside of "timing belts" which seems to be the warning cry of almost every used car I've looked up I really don't know what to look for in a good used vehicle. I am mechanically handy, so I'm not worried about basic maintenance, but I'm trying to avoid more complex things which are going to cost me lots of money. I'm honestly not planning on driving a whole lot, and if that changes it'll only be once I get a better job, so MPG isn't super important to me as long as it's not an awful gas guzzler.

Nissan Maximas are nice, decent performance, all years look pretty good and they use a timing chain. The engines pretty bulletproof all around and the cars are friendly to work on.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Garrand posted:

You're not really looking for a specific make/model at that price range, just the car in the best shape. You probably can't afford a camry/corolla/civic unless they're REALLY high mileage, due to their brand's reputation (but consider one if you find one). Mazda3s are rare at that price range, but good. Focuses can be good with the DOHC motor if they've been taken care of. There are others that would serve you well I'm sure.

Look for cosmetically damaged cars that have been taken care of otherwise. Also insist on getting them inspected.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Garrand posted:

What Grumpwagon above me said, plus stay away from -any- small vehicle manufactured by Chrysler. Every goddamn thing they make that's not a large car/truck is a dumpster fire of horrible build quality and shredded timing belts.(well, the newish 3.6 is an ok motor, but you ain't seeing one for $2k)

The Cobalt is a typical mediocre-at-best GM vehicle but the Ecotec drivetrain is decent and you can get 'em fairly cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Supreme Allah posted:

Proposed budget: 25k
New or Used: used
Body Style: SUV

Looking for something that'll do good in the snow and let me haul around 2-3 adults comfortably, and cargo space. Not a daily driver, mostly weekends and bad weather. I'm leaning strongly to a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer in the 2011-2015 year range. Eliminated many in this category because the aesthetics didn't work for me. for example a Nissan Pathfinder would hit the bullet points but I don't like the curves -- the last year that looked good was 2012. A 2011-2012 Pathfinder would be fine so opinions on that welcome too.

For people with ownership experience w. any of those specific vehicles, pros and cons? Or if you have other recommendations around that price.

Nissan Maximas are nice, decent performance, all years look pretty good and they use a timing chain. The engines pretty bulletproof all around and the cars are friendly to work on.

No on the 4Runner?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is about 6k standard for a 2007 Prius? I see some around that area but then some almost ten years old for higher.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

guys please just use any of the numerous tools to estimate used car prices - edmunds.com, kbb, whatever. They come up every other page.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Any year of the Prius considered bad or problematic? Trying to decide between a 3rd or 4th gen, and I'm assuming that the first year of each is probably a bad idea but I could be wrong.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No on the 4Runner?

4Runners are great but with the options I want they get to $30k +, don't want to go that high. I've basically settled on the Cherokee after driving one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
It costs $30k because it won't fall apart in 3 years like an FCA product.

leica posted:

Any year of the Prius considered bad or problematic? Trying to decide between a 3rd or 4th gen, and I'm assuming that the first year of each is probably a bad idea but I could be wrong.

The 1st gen is not great.
The 4th is too soon to know. 1st year 3rd gen is probably fine.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I know nothing about cars or buying cars. Thanks again for any help in advance.

My situation:

My mom needs a car. She has max about $4k to spend, preferably $3k. She has bad credit and wants to avoid car payments every month because she has limited income. So I'm guessing buying used may be a good idea?

We live in Santa Rosa, CA (about 50 miles north of San Francisco).

I want something reliable and that won't end up being a money pit (as long as it's somewhat maintained).

Question 1: Given the above, any recommendations or pointers?

Question 2: My mom wants to spend what little money she has on a used "smart car." Smart cars, I believe, are tiny little toy cars that you ride around in and I guess it's legal to drive them on freeways. My gut tells me this is a bad idea, especially because she's poor, lives in low income housing for the elderly, parks on the street (because they don't have a garage), and if she gets kicked out of her apartment she won't have a vehicle that she could use to store stuff in. Are there any other reasons why smart cars should be avoided?

Edit:

Looks like there's a template in the OP I should follow. I'll fill that out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

I know nothing about cars or buying cars. Thanks again for any help in advance.

My situation:

My mom needs a car. She has max about $4k to spend, preferably $3k. She has bad credit and wants to avoid car payments every month because she has limited income. So I'm guessing buying used may be a good idea?

We live in Santa Rosa, CA (about 50 miles north of San Francisco).

I want something reliable and that won't end up being a money pit (as long as it's somewhat maintained).

Question 1: Given the above, any recommendations or pointers?

Question 2: My mom wants to spend what little money she has on a used "smart car." Smart cars, I believe, are tiny little toy cars that you ride around in and I guess it's legal to drive them on freeways. My gut tells me this is a bad idea, especially because she's poor, lives in low income housing for the elderly, parks on the street (because they don't have a garage), and if she gets kicked out of her apartment she won't have a vehicle that she could use to store stuff in. Are there any other reasons why smart cars should be avoided?

Edit:

Looks like there's a template in the OP I should follow. I'll fill that out.

They're expensive and get poor mileage for how small they are.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

They're expensive and get poor mileage for how small they are.

Good to know. Thanks!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

My elderly poor mother needs a car. She has about $3-4k to spend and she's asking me for advice. I know nothing about cars, so I'm coming here.

Proposed Budget: $4k max, preferably $3k.

New or Used: No preference. She has bad credit and wants to avoid car payments every month because she has limited income. So I'm guessing buying used may be a good idea?

Body Style: No preference, as long as it has space for her to transport her art supplies (sometimes larges paintings or chunks of rock) to and from school. Also room for at least a couple of passengers, in case she wants to drive her friends somewhere.

How will you be using the car?: She's 67. She drives probably 20 miles a day on average. Looking for a car that will hopefully be the last car she'll own, as long as it's reasonably maintained.

What aspects are most important to you?

- Reliability
- Easy to maintain or cheap to fix
- Cheap price

Where does she live?

Santa Rosa, California

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
They're also made by mercedes so not particularly reliable and parts prices are bad they also suck at speeds over 40mph.

Buy a used ford focus with either the zetec or duratech engine. (Basically, anything made after 2004 or with a "z" in the trim like "zx5." In California they sold a pzev engine that is particularly decent in 2003 and 2004.
They made a wagon if she can find one.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 10, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

nm posted:

They're also made by mercedes so not particularly reliable and parts prices are bad they also suck at speeds over 40mph.

Buy a used ford focus with either the zetec or duratech engine. (Basically, anything made after 2004 or with a "z" in the trim like "zx5." In California they sold a pzev engine that is particularly decent in 2003 and 2004.
They made a wagon if she can find one.

Thanks man. Good advice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Smart Car is a particular car company. Does she actually mean smart car, or is she thinking of those electric golf carts that are street legal that retirees like to putter around in?

Smart Car:

Gem Electric vehicle:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Smart Car is a particular car company. Does she actually mean smart car, or is she thinking of those electric golf carts that are street legal that retirees like to putter around in?

Smart Car:

Gem Electric vehicle:

Not sure. Based on conversation, it's the mini cars that are made with Mercedes parts.

I just talked to her on the phone, and talked her out of a smart car (thanks to the info in the thread). Per the advice in the thread, I've compiled the following advice I've printed to a piece of paper for her:

quote:

Go here to check pricing on cars: https://www.cars.com/sell/book-value/

You want to buy a used Ford Focus with either the Zetec or Duratech engine.

You want a Ford Focus made after 2004 with a z in the trim/name, like a zx5.

To lessen the “risk” of buying a used car, I suggest doing at least one of the following:
- Taking the car to an independent mechanic to be checked out
- Making sure the car has complete maintenance and repair records
- Buying a car with a remaining factory warranty on it (probably doesn't apply to you, because you'll be buying an older car)
- Buying a certified pre-owned car

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Let me narrow it down:

quote:

You want to buy a used Ford Focus with either the Zetec or Duratech engine.

You want a Ford Focus made after 2004 with a z in the trim/name, like a zx5.

To lessen the “risk” of buying a used car, I suggest doing at least one of the following:
- Taking the car to an independent mechanic to be checked out

Civic/Corolla/Sentra/Elantra of that vintage and price range are also good cars, all that really depends on what you find. Don't be scared of high miles cars with full service records. Some people really do commute 100+ miles/day and change their fluids/consumables at proper intervals. Just make sure a trusted mechanic gives you thumbs ups first.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 10, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

With the 2004/zetec thing, it is an "or" not an "and."
After 2004 any focus will be fine, before 2004 only zetec (z in the trim) or pzevs are safe. Most cars after 2002 will be zetec or pzev until the duratechs took over in 2005.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Hello car thread! I'm looking for a new ride, and I know jack poo poo about cars. Here's my basic wants/needs/info:

I've only owned Subarus before, I've got a 2001 Outback now, which I love but isn't reliable any more, and will likely need expensive repairs come its inspection. I'd rather not pay what the car is worth to restore it, and would prefer to replace it while it still runs-and now, it runs pretty well. I live in Maine, so safety in winter is important to me. I honestly cannot decide if I want to buy or lease, but I am not at all car savvy.

Requirements/Preferences:

Less than $180/month
4 wheel drive
Mostly city driving on short trips. I live 15-20 mins from where I work, but need to be able to drive to Massachusetts possibly a few times a month, about a 2 hour trip
Reliable! I can put oil/transmission fluid/etc in the car, but I don't have the knowledge or the space to do a lot of self repairs
Maybe something with some roominess-not looking to go compact, but I'm flexible. I don't have kids, and I am a petite woman so legspace isn't an issue, but I like being able to move poo poo when needed
Probably looking for a used vehicle
Good gas mileage, of course, but I'm not obsessing over it

I don't want/it doesn't matter:
Color, style-aestheics aren't really an issue I care about in a car
Anything huge/unwieldy, I need to park in the city often
Anything that doesn't handle well in bad weather; honestly I'd prefer something that I don't need snow tires to drive with. I don't have anywhere to put them in the summer, as I rent.

Any ideas?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dahbadu posted:

Not sure. Based on conversation, it's the mini cars that are made with Mercedes parts.

Luckily you've already talked her out of it altogether, but the other option (the retiree-golf-cart thing) is also a terrible idea because while they may be street legal, that doesn't make them a good idea. They're not even remotely crash-compatible with any real car and if you get hit in one, you're going to get loving obliterated.

porkswordonboard posted:

Requirements/Preferences:

Less than $180/month
4 wheel drive
Anything that doesn't handle well in bad weather; honestly I'd prefer something that I don't need snow tires to drive with. I don't have anywhere to put them in the summer, as I rent.

Shopping by payment is a horrible idea because it's a great way for dealers to really gently caress you over. You need to back that into an actual total transaction amount. Figure out a realistic interest rate you can get on a car loan, and a loan term that's realistic for the age of car you're likely to buy. Some math from that will tell you what loan amount you can get for that payment. Add your down payment and that is the total out-the-door price you should be shopping for and negotiating on.

All wheel drive doesn't really impact whether you need snow tires or not. Turning and stopping are more important than accelerating, and neither of those care whether you have two driven wheels or four. On top of that I have a hard time thinking of cars that truly "do not handle well in bad weather", outside of high-powered sports cars with low ground clearance, which are almost certainly out of your budget anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOC is correct. Don't shop on payment. Even ignoring interest rate, there's a difference between $180/mo for 36 mos and $180/mo for 72 mos. The $ you save from not paying the Northern New England Subaru tax will store your winter tires at a tire place for decades. I'm in down town by God Boston and my annual changeover is like $160 including storage for the year. When I lived in VT it was like $60.

Prius with snow tires fits the bill quite nicely.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Proposed Budget: $12,000 (if used) - $16,000 (if new, see below)

New or Used: Leaning towards used because value but I can get good deals on new Fords and Hyundais through my work. $16k round about for a new base 2016 Focus, maybe $17k for a new base 2016 Elantra.

Body Style: Compact but not sub-compact. Elantra, Focus, Corolla, etc.

How will you be using the car?: Wife's daily driver. Mostly around town/doing errands. Lowish annual mileage, I would expect. We have a 1 year old.

- Not huge
- Backup camera
- Reliability
- Safety
- A/C for hellish Texas summers

Where does she live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

Wife test drove a new Focus and it was fine. Tiny backup camera being standard was a big plus - that's the only "extra" she cares about. Believe 2015 was the first model year for the Focus that had this. I may be able to convince her to forego a backup camera as long as the car is easy to see out the back of. Taking a serious look at the previous model year of Focuses, Elantras and Fortes for this reason and would be interested in people's thoughts about these cars, and maybe some others I haven't considered.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 11, 2016

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
Proposed Budget: $12,000

Body Style: Midsized preferred but would do compact

How will you be using the car?: My daily driver. 45 mile round trip 4-5 days a week plus weekend stuff.

- Reliability
- Total cost of ownership
- A/C

Where do I live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

What does the audience think about the previous generation of Hyundai Sonata? Pretty ugly all things considered but I don't really care. Also checking out the Ford Fusion. I'm pretty bias against domestics but would love to be convinced otherwise. Would like to avoid hybrids for some unknown reason.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sits on Pilster posted:

Proposed Budget: $12,000 (if used) - $16,000 (if new, see below)

New or Used: Leaning towards used because value but I can get good deals on new Fords and Hyundais through my work. $16k round about for a new base 2016 Focus, maybe $17k for a new base 2016 Elantra.

Body Style: Compact but not sub-compact. Elantra, Focus, Corolla, etc.

How will you be using the car?: Wife's daily driver. Mostly around town/doing errands. Lowish annual mileage, I would expect. We have a 1 year old.

- Not huge
- Backup camera
- Reliability
- Safety
- A/C for hellish Texas summers

Where does she live?

Dallas, TX

Misc.

Wife test drove a new Focus and it was fine. Tiny backup camera being standard was a big plus - that's the only "extra" she cares about. Believe 2015 was the first model year for the Focus that had this. I may be able to convince her to forego a backup camera as long as the car is easy to see out the back of. Taking a serious look at the previous model year of Focuses, Elantras and Fortes for this reason and would be interested in people's thoughts about these cars, and maybe some others I haven't considered.

Dude I am seeing base Elantras NEW at my local dealer for 14 or less

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004

everdave posted:

Dude I am seeing base Elantras NEW at my local dealer for 14 or less

That's pretty crazy. 2016s or 2017s? I'm only seeing 2017s at Dallas dealers and still a ways away from $14k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Am i totally wrong about hyundai? In the 90s and early 2000s it was a lovely budget car. Mid 2000s they got their poo poo together and were building genuine competitive-with-japan sedans at a slightly lower price and a great warranty.

Now it seems like its a strictly value brand again, to be avoided.