Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Bioshock's aesthetic, and didn't hate playing it but eh
The second one was my favourite because I liked setting up a bunch of traps but that was it really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fffffffffffuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFsJyRX2m4

its obv just a prototype right now and they need to better integrate the tiles into the game world but the animation is lookin good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bioshock is neither as bad as the haters that wanted it to be System Shock 3 say it is, nor is it as good as the breathless praise is got on release says it is. It's an okay fps with some cool ideas and some bad ideas. It's above average but not really groundbreaking either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

axleblaze posted:

Bioshock is neither as bad as the haters that wanted it to be System Shock 3 say it is, nor is it as good as the breathless praise is got on release says it is. It's an okay fps with some cool ideas and some bad ideas. It's above average but not really groundbreaking either.

actually it's poo poo sry

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
'Im a young baby of 21 years old and its amazing how quickly Bioshock Infinite went from brilliant to flawed, does some neat stuff, but incredibly stupid for me.

The neat stuff is most player camera perspective stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really disagree that the enemies in the first Bioshock are bullet sponges. Normal Splicers die in one headshot from any weapon, Big Daddies take a bunch of punishment because they're walking suits of armor, and non-standard Splicers like spiders and houdinis don't get thrown in until you have a few upgrades in your guns already. The mid-game turns normal splicers into cannon fodder, then puts the special splicers where the normal ones were in the hierarchy.

edit: And I'm saying this having just played through it again like a week ago. You want bullet sponges, you're thinking of Bioshock Infinite.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 6, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also it;s boring

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

actually it's poo poo sry

It's fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say I was annoyed when I originally played it because I really liked Prey and that game got tons of poo poo for death having no real consequence and then I get to critical darling Bioshock and death has even less consequence in it and I feel it got no poo poo for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

also it;s boring

Personal preference.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Personal preference.
It needed to decide whether it wanted to be tense survival horror or frantic shooter, instead of half-doing each.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It needed to decide whether it wanted to be tense survival horror or frantic shooter, instead of half-doing each.

That's fair, it does have some problems deciding on a tone. I think the Fort Frolic level finally settles a good compromise between the two after the first few waffle back and forth, but then they kinda lose it again in the end stages.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FRAPS decided it's too cool to save the videos it records. This is the first time I've needed FRAPS for anything other than loving around in 2 years so it's great to know that technology can sense when it's needed and promptly stop working.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's been years since I played it but in Bioshock 1 I think I just killed everything with the wrench

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The wrench is amazing. You can kill big daddies in one swing with it if you stack your tonics. Here is an effortpost I wrote a while back about how the wrench kicks rear end.

CJacobs posted:

By the way, I wasn't joking when I said the wrench tonics are fuckin' nuts when you combine them. The damage increasing ones:

can be stacked with the Bouncer research bonus (the one independent of the tonic) for a whopping 1000% damage increase, which brings the wrench up to 210 damage per swing- enough to kill any splicer in 3 hits or less. This can then be further stacked with the Wrench Lurker tonics:

to deal enough damage to kill any enemy in the game including Big Daddies in one hit, calculated as such: 210 damage + 350% unaware bonus x4 for being shocked + the research bonus for Bouncers = 3,780 god drat damage. Bouncers only have 2700 health.

edit: But if that's not enough for you and you want the wrench to be even more crazy, try stacking the SportBoost tonics:

which, when combined, allow you to swing the wrench three times every second by just wailing on the attack button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfb-JyQY5A4&t=48s

Here's a video of a dude just clowning the game on the highest difficulty, for emphasis!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

That's fair, it does have some problems deciding on a tone. I think the Fort Frolic level finally settles a good compromise between the two after the first few waffle back and forth, but then they kinda lose it again in the end stages.
Not just tone, but gameplay. Bioshock's gameplay is really, really shallow. It has no idea what it wants to do, so it just kind of hints at a few different things. There's guns, but there's not much to them. There's magic, but it's basically just guns again. Enemies just pop out of nowhere like Doom in box-shaped room arenas, but it wants you to conserve ammo like a survival horror game. It's not exactly a bad game - its production values are too high to ever reach bad - but it's not good, either. It has some leeway since it was the first game in the series. I think Infinite is way worse for completely failing to build on the gameplay at all.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lurdiak posted:

FRAPS decided it's too cool to save the videos it records. This is the first time I've needed FRAPS for anything other than loving around in 2 years so it's great to know that technology can sense when it's needed and promptly stop working.

i thought everyone moved on to obs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

The wrench is amazing. You can kill big daddies in one swing with it if you stack your tonics. Here is an effortpost I wrote a while back about how the wrench kicks rear end.

You can also get life on hit later on for even more hilarity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not just tone, but gameplay. Bioshock's gameplay is really, really shallow. It has no idea what it wants to do, so it just kind of hints at a few different things. There's guns, but there's not much to them. There's magic, but it's basically just guns again. Enemies just pop out of nowhere like Doom in box-shaped room arenas, but it wants you to conserve ammo like a survival horror game. It's not exactly a bad game - its production values are too high to ever reach bad - but it's not good, either. It has some leeway since it was the first game in the series. I think Infinite is way worse for completely failing to build on the gameplay at all.

If anything, Infinite is more shallow. One thing I liked about Bioshock's plasmids, something 2 expanded upon greatly, was that leveling them up gave them tertiary abilities. Electro-bolt jumps between enemies in a group at level 2 and the stun gets longer and more uh lethal looking at level 3. Half the plasmids in Infinite just have the same effects on enemies but with different graphics. Personally I think Bioshock 2 is the best in the series because it takes that even further.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 7, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

2 seems to be the general consensus winner, but it's the only one I haven't played. I didn't like 1, and I have no idea how I ended up playing Infinite. I think my roommate at the time owned it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

Just use shadowplay or whatever ATI's calling it's stuff, every videocard has built in recording now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

2 seems to be the general consensus winner, but it's the only one I haven't played. I didn't like 1, and I have no idea how I ended up playing Infinite. I think my roommate at the time owned it.

It fixes a lot of the complaints about 1's gameplay in addition to being a good dad simulator.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I enjoyed the experience of Infinite and I liked the Elizabeth character and fighting in skyrails. Everything else about it was forgettable for me, I guess.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ca/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxesrCU3kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIfPKdf39I

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Mak0rz posted:

The Metroid 2 remake is v good everyone please play it

Yeah I downloaded it and only played Metroid 2 on VC for the first time last year. Definitely lookin forward to it later whenever I can find real free time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dear Nintendo: why Nidoran got an rear end?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Umbrella Corp Labs Zombie Infection Simulator 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HvaBsdAu4&t=1846s

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dear Nintendo: why Nidoran got an rear end?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What if Fez was River City Ransom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HvaBsdAu4&t=2553s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've discovered the most fun way to play nuclear throne is Steroids (have the golden shot gun on him) and do the 3-3 skip so your runs go way faster

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wtf, :nws: that poo poo man :mad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quest For Glory II posted:

fffffffffffuuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFsJyRX2m4

its obv just a prototype right now and they need to better integrate the tiles into the game world but the animation is lookin good

This looks super cool.

Also reminds me that Cuphead never came out :v:

FactsAreUseless posted:

It walks the same line that STALKER does and IMO that's fine. They're in-between.

Bioshock makes a few mistakes but the atmosphere of "you're locked in here with a bunch of crazies and its the bottom of the sea so there's no way out" is pretty great IMO.

2 and Infinite are pretty great too, if only for how original and beautiful they are. Not the best FPS games but just really cool ideas. That's enough for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

This looks super cool.

Also reminds me that Cuphead never came out :v:

its coming soon. hopefully with not the sound effects in the e3 build though because lol those vids are not watchable with the sound up

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Cuphead got extremely delayed because it was supposed to just be a boss rush game but then it unexpectedly got alot of attention and MS made them go back and add actual levels, thus raising the chance that the game will turn out bad significantly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

axleblaze posted:

Cuphead got extremely delayed because it was supposed to just be a boss rush game but then it unexpectedly got alot of attention and MS made them go back and add actual levels, thus raising the chance that the game will turn out bad significantly

yeah people have not been kind to footage of the levels they made. they are looking like very basic platforming type levels and the backgrounds repeat like in a hanna barbara cartoon chase sequence

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Little do all these people in line for the Kirby Cafe know that a giant man dressed in naught but a robe and cap awaits them inside having already eaten all the food beforehand.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Little do all these people in line for the Kirby Cafe know that a giant man dressed in naught but a robe and cap awaits them inside having already eaten all the food beforehand.

https://twitter.com/87th/status/761779592445190144

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

but can you take it home

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I would never leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005