Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Riso posted:

:lol: you people. Greece is neither the closest country to Syria nor is it even adjacent to the regions most people actually come from. We know at best 1/3 are Syrians. Most are from North Africa or something.

But lets take Syria as example anyway.

One of their regional neighbours is Saudi Barbaria. They have lots of nicely air-conditioned high-tech tents that are used once a year for the hajj with kitchens and bathing facilities.

They also have plenty of money to support their Arab brothers but instead they decided to use their money to build mosques for their radical wahabi imams in Europe instead.

You appear to be arguing in bad faith. Shame on you. Closest of the EU countries, obviously. Syria wasn't the point. People from Iraq and other places also pass through Greece if they are taking the land route.

The rest has nothing to do with Greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GaussianCopula posted:

It's important to keep in mind that Greece was actually able to keep the refugee problem under control to some degree until SYRIZA was elected, who basically abolished the somewhat functioning Greek asylum system in favor of letting refugees just wander around and out of the country.

A lot of things got worse in 2015 (or do you think ISIS is a complete non-factor?), and just because people could wait things out for a few years doesn't mean they could do it indefinitely. The idea that Greece electing a left-wing government is the reason that people started coming to Europe is beyond absurd.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Greece does not have an obligation to let people in or pass through and until 2015 they did not do so.

Edit: ISIS existed before 2015 as well.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

YF-23 posted:

Today this thread taught me that Greece electing corrupt politicians is the root cause of the refugee crisis. If Greeks had just magically found that viable non-corrupt third party back in the '80s or '90s, people just wouldn't flee Syria for Europe. Greece would've built a new wooden wall along the Aegean sea, and the refugees would see that and say, "welp, there's no going past that, I guess Europe is just a no-go". And they'd know there's no point looking for alternatives either, they wouldn't give up just on the Aegean passage, they'd give up on everything and just stay in their bombed-out homes. Or hell, who's to say they'd be bombed? Maybe if Greece just hadn't voted for PASOK or New Democracy, there wouldn't be war in the Middle East today. I cannot loving believe the Greek political system is responsible for ISIS.

You loving idiots
Only Riso and GC, and they have done that since day 1, likely in part to troll you specifically.

doverhog posted:

This is a really stupid argument. Are you seriously comparing Switzerland to Greece? Greece hosed up, yeah. The wider refugee crisis is a failure of the entire EU and the dumb as poo poo Dublin regulation that has never worked. Blaming Greece for that because they happen to be closest to Syria is idiotic. The EU always knew Greece was corrupt and incompetent, so when they let Greece handle the refugee intake it is the EU who a re at least as equally at fault as Greece.

Totally agree.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This thread is a microcosm of why Europe doesn't function as a political entity. Just go back to gassing each other why don't you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Riso posted:

Greece does not have an obligation to let people in or pass through and until 2015 they did not do so.

Edit: ISIS existed before 2015 as well.

Oh man, if this wasn't all a bunch of bullshit.

I'm surprised Riso and Gaussian haven't shown up in U-Boast in the Mediterranean yet to gun down those pesky refugees.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Here's offering of finnish high culture to teach you cheese eating savages something useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651939391

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Arglebargle III posted:

This thread is a microcosm of why Europe doesn't function as a political entity. Just go back to gassing each other why don't you?

The more I read this thread the more I agree with you. Let's just gas the Germans this time.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As a bonus it would finally give us place to put all the refugees. A living space for them.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think europe stinks!!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

bronin posted:

The more I read this thread the more I agree with you. Let's just gas the Germans this time.

Lets gas Britain instead and send the refugees there. It'll be the new Australia!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Archer666 posted:

Lets gas Britain instead and send the refugees there. It'll be the new Australia!

Ah yes, the old "anyone who tries to scape the burning building gets shot" gambit. Genius ;)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Apparentely an Allahu Akbar man has attacked police in Belgium.

REMEMBER! The most important thing is to remember not to give into fear, consider this absolutely normal, and not to mention any possible religious motives as such would be "phobic".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's very nice of you to see a tragic incident and then immediately use it to bitch about imaginary people again.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

It's very nice of you to see a tragic incident and then immediately use it to bitch about imaginary people again.

Yes. Allahu Akbar men killing Europeans have been completely imaginary for the past year or two.

Really?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ackbarman sounds like a really bad English sitcom

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ligur posted:

Yes. Allahu Akbar men killing Europeans have been completely imaginary for the past year or two.

Really?

Yeah that's totally what I meant.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hahahaha yes funny joke, for sure.

And if someone dies they deserved it probably because they were hitler white europeans.

Also if you mention it it isn't appropriate, because mentioning attacks is wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ligur posted:

Hahahaha yes funny joke, for sure.

And if someone dies they deserved it probably because they were hitler white europeans.

Yeah probably, white people are terrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ligur posted:

Apparentely an Allahu Akbar man has attacked police in Belgium.

REMEMBER! The most important thing is to remember not to give into fear, consider this absolutely normal, and not to mention any possible religious motives as such would be "phobic".

It's this part if you still somehow didn't get it.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Andrast posted:

It's this part if you still somehow didn't get it.

You will get it one day.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ligur, I am still waiting for you to explain to me in clear detail who exactly you had in mind with this phrase.

Ligur posted:

Giving poo poo away for free to complete strangers who will never give back?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

Ligur, I am still waiting for you to explain to me in clear detail who exactly you had in mind with this phrase.

Oh that, sorry, I was probated for something.

You and I both know most asylum seekers from say Iraq and Somalia are never going to get employed. So IIRC that was about how reasonable it is for people to pay high taxes or whatever to support people from the other side of the world who will never be able to "pay back" in that sense. Well, it might be reasonable, but why would you expect people to do that, why should they?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ligur posted:

You and I both know most asylum seekers from say Iraq and Somalia are never going to get employed. So IIRC that was about how reasonable it is for people to pay high taxes or whatever to support people from the other side of the world who will never be able to "pay back" in that sense. Well, it might be reasonable, but why would you expect people to do that, why should they?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/terrorist-suspects-in-europe-got-welfare-benefits-while-plotting-attacks-1470350251

Payback in a different sense.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ligur posted:

The immigration = good for the economy people seem to have forgotten that it's not the 50s anymore. What's automation, precious??

YF-23 posted:

The Greek poster needs basic economics explained to then, what a shocker.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

tsa posted:

The immigration = good for the economy people seem to have forgotten that it's not the 50s anymore. What's automation, precious??

What's the vast majority of reputable research into the economic effects of immigration since the 50s, 'precious'?

And explain why more babies is good for the economy but more young people in the peak of their fitness is bad. Keeping in mind babies are hardly engineers/doctors/scientists or good at the whole literacy thing.

Leave cultural factors at the door please.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
it's already really hard to get a job without education in most of europe. Couple that with below european standard education and there's a real job shortage a brewin

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

What's the vast majority of reputable research into the economic effects of immigration since the 50s, 'precious'?

And explain why more babies is good for the economy but more young people in the peak of their fitness is bad. Keeping in mind babies are hardly engineers/doctors/scientists or good at the whole literacy thing.

You sadly seem to be labouring under some rather, ehm, grandiose ideas about the influx of folks lately :(

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Private Speech posted:

Keeping in mind babies are hardly engineers/doctors/scientists or good at the whole literacy thing.

So, like the recent flood of 'refugees'?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Rappaport posted:

You sadly seem to be labouring under some rather, ehm, grandiose ideas about the influx of folks lately :(

Nah, although some of them are.

Just about all babies need more than two decades of education to get to that point though. Which was my point.

And yeah more babies is in fact good for the economy (to an extent)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stop infantilizing the refugees.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Really? People saying refugees are less useful that newborn babies?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

"People" were comparing newborns to "scientists, doctors and engineers", and uh

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Rappaport posted:

"People" were comparing newborns to "scientists, doctors and engineers", and uh

Haven't you seen baby geniuses?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

By far. Babies can be taught.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Private Speech posted:

the babies are of pure aryan racial stock

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

They will likely be much more appreciated by their birth country avoiding much of the social friction (due to racism and legitimate structural problems) that a refugee would cause, thus making the population more willing to cope with them despite their short term economic loss. Long term they are also probably more profitable than refugees due to longer lifetime employment and higher salaries. But really, this whole discussion is retarded as the two are not comparable and no European country would like to actively transfer the future of their nation from its own babies to refugees. One should not try to argue that countries should accept refugees on an economic basis, as the economic benefit of immigration is highly dependent on the immigrants complementing the native population with various services (usually low skill jobs ignored by the natives). But as the economies of the EU is moving away from these jobs and most countries have okay labor labor laws and social security the long term economic equation is not going to favor the refugees or economic migrants any time soon. Thus we might as well accept that the main argument for receiving these people should be humanitarian, otherwise pro immigration proponents will just shoot themselves in the foot by providing the anti immigration proponents with cheap ammunition.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 7, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zudgemud posted:

They will likely be much more appreciated by their birth country avoiding much of the social friction (due to racism and legitimate structural problems) that a refugee would cause, thus making the population more willing to cope with them despite their short term economic loss. Long term they are also probably more profitable than refugees due to longer lifetime employment and higher salaries. But really, this whole discussion is retarded as the two are not comparable and no European country would like to actively transfer the future of their nation from its own babies to refugees. One should not try to argue that countries should accept refugees on an economic basis, as the economic benefit of immigration is highly dependent on the immigrants complementing the native population with various services (usually low skill jobs ignored by the natives). But as the economies of the EU is moving away from these jobs and most countries have okay labor labor laws and social security the long term economic equation is not going to favor the refugees or economic migrants any time soon. Thus we might as well accept that the main argument for receiving these people should be humanitarian, otherwise pro immigration proponents will just shoot themselves in the foot by providing the anti immigration proponents with cheap ammunition.

Nothing says "appreciated by my birth country" like a rousing round of mass-murder.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Did some idiot really compare babies born to their parents to asylum seekers? Like REALLY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ligur posted:

Did some idiot really compare babies born to their parents to asylum seekers? Like REALLY?

Yeah, I did. Economically we are talking about the same effects w.r.t. population. Unless Aryan babies are somehow superior.

I mean yeah they might be 'more appreciated by their country' but that's just because people are racist cunts.