Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey guys my name is Julian Assange and I'm going to release some serious shady poo poo about the Turkish president!

*instead releases millions of e-mails between normal Turkish citizens as well as a shitload of personal details, including names, addresses, phone numbers and political affiliations*

Take that, jews!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr Cheeto posted:

Shockingly not everyone shares your blasé attitude towards a indiscriminate and omnipresent intelligence dragnet

It's not my fault you apparently chose to live in ignorance, and pretend that all the technological spying activities the government was bragging about doing in other countries for over half a century would stop at US borders. It only takes a small amount of critical thought to realize that if the US government was openly tapping communication lines in say East Berlin, and sneaking modified electronics into Minsk, then of course they would do the same to targets inside the US.

And that's to say nothing of how the fact this stuff was being done in the US proper was repeatedly reported by multiple leakers who got into national news in the 90s and 2000s. But of course you forgot about what they revealed, just as you'll probably forget about Snowden revealed.

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A This was revealed to the public at large in 2006, and anyone who stopped to think for a moment would understand that such equipment would easily be placed for things that weren't going out of the country.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 6, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lessail posted:

Fascinating move to lump the two together
One is a Russian stooge and a rapist. The other is possibly a Russian stooge, and in fact is at best a libertarian shithead.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Casimir Radon posted:

One is a Russian stooge and a rapist. The other is possibly a Russian stooge, and in fact is at best a libertarian shithead.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snowden /hates/ that he's stuck in Russia.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

iospace posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Snowden /hates/ that he's stuck in Russia.

I'm sure he does. I think calling him a 'stooge' is dumb, 'pawn' is more fitting since it implies a less eager relationship. Dude was stupid and somehow didn't know HK was Chinese controlled and Russia was all he had. I don't blame him for not wanting to go to jail, I don't want to go to jail either.

That said pretending he'd get the Manning treatment as a civilian is absurd, as is the hilarious "I BET THEY'D JUST FUCKIN KILL HIM" poo poo. He was a dude who would rather not go to a prison in the US, that's understandable as it is, you don't need to pretend to not know the difference between military and civilian courts or whatever.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/eliotnelson/status/762055283405230080

https://twitter.com/eliotnelson/status/762055447532535808

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dirt posted:

I have a question about the whole NSA spying thing. I've basically always assumed the government had access to your Internet and mobile phone usage.

Does that make me weird for not being really shocked or sympathetic to Snowden's plight? I mean I don't think he should be charged with treason or whatever, but I was never shocked about it, Probably because the government was involved in telecommunications and the Internet from the start, I just assumed that's how it worked. I was never super outraged about the confirmation leak. I just kind of already expected it. This far out from the whole situation I'm having trouble giving a poo poo. Am I weird and /or dumb?

Yes on both accounts.

I suspect you're young because pre-9/11 the government had almost No official ability to collect anything without a warrant. The idea that an agency can unilaterally get any info it wants without ant sort of oversight or check on it's power is very new and should terrify you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Look at it like this: at this point, having embarrassing poo poo in your internet history is so ubiquitous, the only correct response is to just not care.

This is true but misses the point. The bigger issue is that this kind of power is a recipe for abuse. Dick pics are just a useful example but he government could also use this info to do stuff like undermine political opponents or weed out union activity on behalf of well-connected corporate interests. There's actually a LOT to be worried about.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 6, 2016

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Nah, you're not reading what I'm saying correctly. My personal belief is that the conventional notion of privacy is outdated and hadn't caught up to reality yet. It's inevitable and something that can't be changed without basically uninventing networked computers. The only safeguards to abuse of that data are cultural, not technological or legal. Most people haven't reconciled themselves with that idea yet and that's why they're up in arms about it.

*Flags post as unpatriotic*

*Puts user on secret government watch list*

E: Oh, and universal encryption solves most of these problems without having to rely on the outrage of an ignorant and jaded public. Just saying.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Completely unfounded and stirred up only by demagogues in an effort to win votes...?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/762055890983718913

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Inferior Third Season posted:

If you're going to compile a list of "mysterious deaths", don't start it off with a heart attack in solitary confinement, possibly the least mysterious way of dying imaginable.
Well we know what this means. Hillary has a Death Note.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

readingatwork posted:

I suspect you're young because pre-9/11 the government had almost No official ability to collect anything without a warrant. The idea that an agency can unilaterally get any info it wants without ant sort of oversight or check on it's power is very new and should terrify you.

Other than how they did that poo poo constantly throughout the cold war, sure. None of that poo poo was actually new.

readingatwork posted:

This is true but misses the point. The bigger issue is that this kind of power is a recipe for abuse. Dick pics are just a useful example but he government could also use this info to do stuff like undermine political opponents or weed out union activity on behalf of well-connected corporate interests. There's actually a LOT to be worried about.

So they could continue doing what they've been doing since 1915? Wow, truly unprecedented. Seriously dude you come off naive as hell. You have a lot of learning to do.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I'm honestly surprised that people are so angry at Snowden. I can understand Assange, he seems like a douche, and real shady, but Snowden legitimately seems like a guy who wanted to do the right thing, and expose what many people at the time, thought was completely in the realm of conspiracy theories and tinfoil-wearing nut jobs. Also, if you think that people knew how bad it was before Snowden, you're delirious (also, they still don't).

Snowden aside though, the indifference towards creating an american (or global really) STASI, except far more effective, seems really weird to me. If you're not concerned about something like that, you haven't been paying attention to history. Also, In the name of what? Fighting terrorism? Uncovering satanist plots to lure our children into playing D&D?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Other than how they did that poo poo constantly throughout the cold war, sure. None of that poo poo was actually new.

So they could continue doing what they've been doing since 1915? Wow, truly unprecedented. Seriously dude you come off naive as hell. You have a lot of learning to do.

There's a big difference between the government doing something illegally and off the books and them codifying their shady bullshit into law.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
No one's gone from internet hero to idiot stooge nearly as fast as Snowden. He did a public service dragging into the public eye how IPs were ridiculously complicit in forking over data with zero resistance, because there was proof after that and not just tin foil hattery that could be dismissed offhandedly.

The guy took his best shots from a very short list of places to claim asylum because lol if you think he wasn't being put in a deep dark hole if he got caught. Now that things have settled down he may get a pardon depending on how dumb he was talking to the Russians. I'm holding off ultimate judgement until there's more than just flying rumors but until I hear he gave Putin the nuclear launch codes or something then he's done something worthwhile.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Casimir Radon posted:

I think people struggle with the notion that you can say someone is a shitheel and that something they've done is a good thing and should have been done, even if it leads to consequences for that person. Martyrs for the cause should be perfect examples, and all that.

Just because Edward Snowden is a moron and a libertarian idiot doesn't mean what he did wasn't valuable, and even if you think he should go to jail for it, you shouldn't say what he did was (entirely) bad.

I won't condone him releasing information on the intelligence work against foreign sources, because that was monumentally stupid and if he's punished for anything, it should be for that. That said, Snowden will probably spend either the better part of the next twenty odd years, or the rest of his life (depending on the moods of who becomes President in the next few elections) before he ever gets to see the US again, let alone live without fear of getting snatched by a CIA team.

quote:

Snowden aside though, the indifference towards creating an american (or global really) STASI, except far more effective, seems really weird to me. If you're not concerned about something like that, you haven't been paying attention to history. Also, In the name of what? Fighting terrorism? Uncovering satanist plots to lure our children into playing D&D?

Honestly, I feel the same way towards the surveillance state as I do about globalization, in that I don't think it can be stopped or reversed and a lot of the resources we'd spend trying would be better spent elsewhere. The practical negative effect of the American surveillance state on the average person is negligible and I can't get worked up about it versus, say, the Black Lives Matter movement or efforts to raise the minimum wage and labor standards, etc.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 7, 2016

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Wrap it up Ryanailures, the ever-relevant Sarah Palin has endorsed Harley-ridin', tattooed, arm-wrestling patriot Nehlen:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/08/05/politics/sarah-palin-endorsement-paul-nehlen/index.html?client=safari

How do you pronounce this guy's name because oh my God they could make the Nehlen / Palin ticket a REAL THING

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

readingatwork posted:

There's a big difference between the government doing something illegally and off the books and them codifying their shady bullshit into law.

99.9% of that poo poo was already legal, legalized in a thousand different ways over the course of the Cold War. The Patriot Act merely made it nice and neat in one big thing, but if you dug into how, say the COINTELPRO stuff was done, you'll find it was pretty much all actually legal once you sorted through everything involved. And when it wasn't explicitly legal, it was at least not explicitly illegal.

Lightning Knight posted:

Just because Edward Snowden is a moron and a libertarian idiot doesn't mean what he did wasn't valuable, and even if you think he should go to jail for it, you shouldn't say what he did was (entirely) bad.

The reason it wasn't valuable is because it has already been largely forgotten, just like the last 20 leaks and revelations before him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well we know what this means. Hillary has a Death Note.

"Elderly couple knows many dead people" is genuinely one of my absolute favorite conspiracies.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Casimir Radon posted:

Are the basement dwelling Snowden/Assange apologists still here?

What utter tripe. Go look at a loving map before you make such scurrilous accusations next time. Some of us live in locations that just can't have basements, you monster.

FIRST TIME posted:

Just do what Trump does and say something like, "the numbers are... well, you wouldn't believe me if I told you, they're outrageous" and then just move on.

Tangentially, I was listening to the radio in the car earlier, and it appears that Tim Kaine has made his "Believe Me" bit a part of his stump speech. It's pretty great.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Has anyone noted how loving ironic it is that Ollie North is accusing someone of trading something for hostages with Iran?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

No one's gone from internet hero to idiot stooge nearly as fast as Snowden. He did a public service dragging into the public eye how IPs were ridiculously complicit in forking over data with zero resistance, because there was proof after that and not just tin foil hattery that could be dismissed offhandedly.

The guy took his best shots from a very short list of places to claim asylum because lol if you think he wasn't being put in a deep dark hole if he got caught. Now that things have settled down he may get a pardon depending on how dumb he was talking to the Russians. I'm holding off ultimate judgement until there's more than just flying rumors but until I hear he gave Putin the nuclear launch codes or something then he's done something worthwhile.

I think people confuse dude-in-a-rough-place Edward Snowden with noted-total-shithead Julian Assange.

Not that Snowden's perfect but he at least had good intentions before he got Putin'd(not that he really had a choice), Assange just wants to push his narrative/stir poo poo up/get attention.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Has anyone noted how loving ironic it is that Ollie North is accusing someone of trading something for hostages with Iran?

Where's that lol nothing matters gif when you need it?

How anyone on the right can bring it up like it's a serious thing while worshiping Reagan is amazing.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I'm honestly surprised that people are so angry at Snowden. I can understand Assange, he seems like a douche, and real shady, but Snowden legitimately seems like a guy who wanted to do the right thing, and expose what many people at the time, thought was completely in the realm of conspiracy theories and tinfoil-wearing nut jobs. Also, if you think that people knew how bad it was before Snowden, you're delirious (also, they still don't).

It's one part the government aggressively pushing a narrative and one part defensive reactionary thinking. The idea that an organization as huge and powerful as the US government could also be deeply corrupt and use your personal life against you is pretty scary and it's human nature when presented with a scary idea to aggressively find some way to ignore the info. One such technique is to attack the messenger, which conveniently allows you to disregard anything they say.

Lightning Knight posted:

Honestly, I feel the same way towards the surveillance state as I do about globalization, in that I don't think it can be stopped or reversed and a lot of the resources we'd spend trying would be better spent elsewhere.

Morality aside why is either of these things inevitable? Globalization can be easily reversed with new tariffs, laws and trade restrictions. Likewise the surveillance state can be ended tomorrow with a few new laws and a requirement that all public communication be encrypted. We could also completely defund the CIA/NSA if we wanted. This is very much within our power.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

It had been previously noted.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean considering the NSA had been intercepting consumer electronics in transit to install spyware, yeah. The level of surveillance went beyond any reasonable interpretation of the information available before the Snowden leak imo.

No it most certainly did not, very few people just ever bother to read the Church Committee report because it is enormous and dull but it was made very clear in 1975 that we've been engaging in the same sort of thing for ages.

That doesn't mean I think Snowden was wrong to leak it, a mass leak of FBI documents by burglary in 1971 is why the Committee even happened

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 7, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nessus posted:

-A post of wonder-

1984 would be so much better if it turns out room 101 was as badly run as trumps campaign. An occasional shout of "Yuge!" is heard from down the corridors.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I wasn't being serious, although I do suspect cultural attitudes around things like celebrity sex tapes are going to change. Obviously that doesn't justify wild unaccountable government surveillance.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

Bad things like national deficits and terrorist attacks exist solely to serve the needs of the Party. When the Party needs them not to matter; they do not. When the Party needs them to justify a planned war; they do. When the Party needs them to demonstrate the weakness of a President who is not in the Party, even if that President is following the same policy as the previous fellow - who was in the Party - then they do exactly that.

Do you understand? All events in history exist solely and exclusively to serve the current political needs of the Republican Party of the United States.

It will never ch:sad: oh god who is this orange man and why is he in the Command Center

2016 US election.txt

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

99.9% of that poo poo was already legal, legalized in a thousand different ways over the course of the Cold War. The Patriot Act merely made it nice and neat in one big thing, but if you dug into how, say the COINTELPRO stuff was done, you'll find it was pretty much all actually legal once you sorted through everything involved. And when it wasn't explicitly legal, it was at least not explicitly illegal.

I seriously doubt you're right but even if so that just makes things worse, not better.

quote:

The reason it wasn't valuable is because it has already been largely forgotten, just like the last 20 leaks and revelations before him.

For something that's been forgotten we sure are talking about it a lot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

readingatwork posted:

Morality aside why is either of these things inevitable? Globalization can be easily reversed with new tariffs, laws and trade restrictions. Likewise the surveillance state can be ended tomorrow with a few new laws and a requirement that all public communication be encrypted. We could also completely defund the CIA/NSA if we wanted. This is very much within our power.

Globalization isn't "easily reversible" at all, it's been in place since the 1900s and truly cutting imports to the bare minimum would mean radical changes in your daily life.

Similarly ending electronic surveillance essentially requires the abandonment of 90% of our existing communications technology for things that were actually built around privacy from the start. It's not even a question of ending direct US surveillance, you're still getting covered by dozens of rich nations and hundreds of companies, many of whom will give it up to the US when asked. The internet, cell phones, even regular phones are fundamentally anti-private.

readingatwork posted:

I seriously doubt you're right but even if so that just makes things worse, not better.

For something that's been forgotten we sure are talking about it a lot.

Seems weird and hosed up to doubt case law and the US code of law, but ok. And yes that's the point: the ignorant view is oh this is some new bad thing. In reality it's a "bad" thing that's been going on since before your parents were born.

You keep only referring to it like it was just found out with SNowden, and additionally the public at large sure as poo poo ain't talking about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yinlock posted:

I think people confuse dude-in-a-rough-place Edward Snowden with noted-total-shithead Julian Assange.

Not that Snowden's perfect but he at least had good intentions before he got Putin'd(not that he really had a choice), Assange just wants to push his narrative/stir poo poo up/get attention.

Pretty much my views. I wouldn't have much sympathy if Snowden ended up here and tried and convicted, but I will say he did have good intentions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SquadronROE posted:

2016 is a cycle of near pure insanity, with thing like the Mussolini inspired GOP candidate feuding with a literal loving baby comprising the top tier of insane poo poo that's happened. It's really pretty impressive that Ollie still manages to stay within sight of the top insane things with his full throated condemnation of all manner of trades with Iran.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mahoning posted:

This isn't a good look for Obama, considering just yesterday he was saying "The Iran deal worked, just ask Israel!"

Keep in mind, Avigdor Lieberman (the MoD) is a hardliner with, let's say, 'interesting' history. When he was the foreign minister he started a boycott of Mossad (!!), congratulated Putin for fair elections (his party's base consists of Jews from ex-USSR) and has repeatedly compared Arab members of Knesset to terrorists. While his party supports a separate Palestinian state, they also want to move all Arabs from Israel to Gaza and West Bank as part of that plan. Oh and of course he's been investigated over corruption because this is Israel and all ministers take bribes, but as a special nugget he's also been convicted for punching and threatening a child who his son had claimed had hit him.

In other words, he's the (((Trump))) for Israel.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gyges posted:

Tangentially, I was listening to the radio in the car earlier, and it appears that Tim Kaine has made his "Believe Me" bit a part of his stump speech. It's pretty great.

I love that my knee jerk reaction to it, and everything else Kaine says, is "oh god he's so lame", but he sells it in such an earnest lame-dad way it goes all the way around to bring really charming.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

1984 would be so much better if it turns out room 101 was as badly run as trumps campaign. An occasional shout of "Yuge!" is heard from down the corridors.
I hope that even if the Republicans do better than they are on course to do, this will at least put a pretty huge loving crack in the subliminal, "Republicans are always gonna win, no point in fighting or expecting to ever succeed" poo poo I see in a lot of people's assumptions about the world. We started seeing how actually flimsy this system was when Scalia died. Sure, they ain't gone, and they ain't weak, but their mastery of the universe was a real loving thin reed.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

UberJew posted:

No it most certainly did not, very few people just ever bother to read the Church Committee report because it is enormous and dull but it was made very clear in 1975 that we've been engaging in the same sort of thing for ages.

Thanks for the link! I was woefully ignorant of this report.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thaddius the Large posted:

I love that my knee jerk reaction to it, and everything else Kaine says, is "oh god he's so lame", but he sells it in such an earnest lame-dad way it goes all the way around to bring really charming.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

God she's so awful. The only upside to third party candidates getting some time in the spotlight is that it'll show they are in fact flawed and lovely candidates and there's a reason their parties are insignificant in politics on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

God she's so awful. The only upside to third party candidates getting some time in the spotlight is that it'll show they are in fact flawed and lovely candidates and there's a reason their parties are insignificant in politics on every level.

Gloria La Riva is super cool, actually, unlike Jill Stein and the homeopathy party

• Locked thread