Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Please post pictures of said cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Nice cats. Tyvm

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

With my last couple rockauto orders the guy's been setting the box down on the doorstep, butted up against the screen door, ringing the doorbell and loving off. Since the door opens outward, the screen isn't a removable panel and the boxes were full of brake stuff and way too heavy to push with the door without wrecking it he's effectively trapped me in the house both times.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tommychu posted:

With my last couple rockauto orders the guy's been setting the box down on the doorstep, butted up against the screen door, ringing the doorbell and loving off. Since the door opens outward, the screen isn't a removable panel and the boxes were full of brake stuff and way too heavy to push with the door without wrecking it he's effectively trapped me in the house both times.

Sorry you died in your house from the UPS delivery.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tommychu posted:

Rip tommychu. Rip in peace

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meatpimp posted:

'sok
jesus says hi

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

spog posted:

Whereas my postman guy lightly brushes the door knocker then runs off with my ebay packages and dumps them in the sorting office.

At least yours brushes the door knocker, mine doesn't even bother doing that most times. Luckily most stuff I get isn't signature required, so I just wander to the door every couple hours until I discover that a box has magically appeared on my porch.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Buying a solstice on Monday! It's the wife's dream car. She has a hip injury so it's a 07 NA automatic but it only has 24,000 miles on it and is absolutely immaculate for 9k. She has no idea. :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

Buying a solstice on Monday! It's the wife's dream car. She has a hip injury so it's a 07 NA automatic but it only has 24,000 miles on it and is absolutely immaculate for 9k. She has no idea. :3:

How is insurance on those? I've heard that most of the body parts are NLA and tough to come by? Or is that just random gossip bullshit?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wanna patte dem cattes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sigma X posted:

My postman doesn't even try anyone's doors. Their policy is that apartment dwellers are scum and don't actually deserve postal service, so all mail and packages goes to the rental office. In a complex of literally hundreds of apartments.

I lived in a complex some years back like that. A decade previously the mailman had been killed by a resident so they just dumped their bundles of mail in the office and left it for the staff to deliver.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DJ Commie posted:

Is anyone doing anything for the Historics Week at Monterey? I'll be around a few of the days, and given I lived in the area for a decade, I know some seriously awesome (and empty!) roads we could do a drive/ride on. Please post in the AI FB group, ask someone in #ai, or send me an email to djcommie gmail. I'll probably have my newly recommissioned 323 Wagon but may have a Porsche 968 if I can wrangle it.

If some kind of goon drive happens, I'd be down to come down from San Jose. If there's interest, maybe make a thread or post in this one? I'm not on the book of faces and don't generally hang out in IRC, and I'm sure there are others in the same situation.

I always dismissed those for in-car use because I thought they'd be too big and shift like a truck. Is that not the case?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

meatpimp posted:

Clearly you've never had a Canadian UPS delivery and had to mortgage your domicile to cover the customs charge.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Clearly you've never had a Canadian UPS delivery and had to mortgage your domicile to cover the customs charge.

Pretty much everything i've ever ordered from china has been listed as a "gift" with a value of $10 on the customs forms. The Chinese seem to know what's up.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Powershift posted:

Pretty much everything i've ever ordered from china has been listed as a "gift" with a value of $10 on the customs forms. The Chinese seem to know what's up.

I've had them do the same to the US.

It's awesome whenever poo poo finally shows up.

My favorite UPS moment is when I was in the garage, watched him walk up sans package, put a notice on the door, then sprint away as we yelled after him.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 7, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

How is insurance on those? I've heard that most of the body parts are NLA and tough to come by? Or is that just random gossip bullshit?

Not sure, but it will be a fair weather low mileage car. :shrug:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

At the annual jazz festival downtown and my roommate just snuck into the church next door and started ringing the giant bell. It is so loud. What a moron. Lmao.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

I've had them do the same to the US.

It's awesome whenever poo poo finally shows up.

My favorite UPS moment is when I was in the garage, watched him walk up sans package, put a notice on the door, then sprint away as we yelled after him.

I was brewing beer in the garage with the door open waiting for my Motiv brake bleeder to show up. It was marked delivered at 9:55am. I called and yelled at customer service at 10am, to once again hear "we don't have a way to contact the driver". I suggested rather rudely they find a way, and make the guy go pick it up, and bring it to the right address.

Turns out, he was four hours away, marking poo poo as delivered so he didn't get dinged on late deliveries, and showed up very sheepish at 3pm. Guess they found a way to call him.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
gently caress the last episode of stranger things

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I appreciate alcohol and the fact that this subforum doesn't poo poo on you if you ask a stupid question.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

I appreciate alcohol and the fact that this subforum doesn't poo poo on you if you ask a stupid question.

There's drat good people here.

You only get poo poo on, deservedly so, if you ask a stupid question, get an answer, then do (or don't do) the opposite as to what's best. Kind like the "goon in a well" thing, which I don't have handy at the moment.

Just a glass of whiskey

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Tide posted:

There's drat good people here.

You only get poo poo on, deservedly so, if you ask a stupid question, get an answer, then do (or don't do) the opposite as to what's best. Kind like the "goon in a well" thing, which I don't have handy at the moment.

Just a glass of whiskey

How's it going man? You're right, this forum does have some awesome people here. Some of your words on having kids made me a lot more ok with my surprise.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maksimus54 posted:

How's it going man? You're right, this forum does have some awesome people here. Some of your words on having kids made me a lot more ok with my surprise.

I could write an awfully long post about things, but I won't. All that matters is the path forward.

Internally, my state of mind is pretty much this on spin cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY

Means a lot that something I said had a positive effect on someone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

So you're telling me there's a box of fresh brake parts in front of your house and there's nothing you can do to stop me from getting them?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sigma X posted:

My postman doesn't even try anyone's doors. Their policy is that apartment dwellers are scum and don't actually deserve postal service, so all mail and packages goes to the rental office. In a complex of literally hundreds of apartments.

I'm in an 850 unit apartment complex.

... with a set of mailboxes for every. single. building. Half of the buildings have individual street addresses, with repeating apartment numbers on every building. And the mailboxes aren't even labeled externally with a corresponding apartment number (let's say I'm in apartment 103; my mailbox is #6 in cluster #1 in front of my building. cluster #2 also has a #6). I had to ask the landlord which mailbox was mine when I moved in.

The rest of the apartments have mail centers scattered around

I feel bad for my mailman, but it's a wonder poo poo doesn't get mixed up frequently. Thankfully there's 4 large boxes in front of my building for holding stuff that won't fit in the normal mailbox, and he can just leave the key in my box.

I approve of your pussy. :3:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
They're probably all marked on the back side where he loads them. That's how our last house was.

Felt creepy as poo poo trying the key in every box until one worked, cause no one told us what box we were.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek posted:

I always dismissed those for in-car use because I thought they'd be too big and shift like a truck. Is that not the case?

Haven't seen one on the bench, but it looks pretty svelte in situ (in a tunnel designed for an Allison, that might be throwing me off). I find it to shift remarkably well, ratios might be a little weird in a car (especially the wide ratio version with the driveshaft-snapper first gear). They've got a few known noise issues though which I think is most of the reason people avoid them when it comes to cars.
I think the Rotsun's got one though?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So you're telling me there's a box of fresh brake parts in front of your house and there's nothing you can do to stop me from getting them?

This was like June. But pretty much, yeah.
First time I called my neighbour, second time I remembered what an irritating twunt my neighbour is but I was hungry so I ordered a pizza and got the Panago guy to move the box for me.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 7, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

They're probably all marked on the back side where he loads them. That's how our last house was.

Felt creepy as poo poo trying the key in every box until one worked, cause no one told us what box we were.

They're marked inside with a slip of paper. Apt number and last name.

And the locks are all hilariously worn out and stick like crazy. I've already broken one key off in the lock. One of these days I'll figure out where my powdered graphite went..

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Re: carrier horror stories - in 2007 I bought a pair of seats off of someone on one of the Focus forums and the UPS driver quite clearly backed up to the concrete patio next to my parents' driveway, opened the back of his truck and pushed the box off the gate and left it sitting where it unceremoniously landed, in a heavy rain. When I unboxed them there was substantial damage to one of them (that ended up costing about $150 to repair) and it quickly became apparent that the package hadn't been treated well before being put on the truck; someone had rammed a tow motor fork straight through the box and it had clearly been dropped several times as all eight corners were crumpled in on themselves.

I initiated a claim with UPS, they sent a driver to retrieve the box so they could "investigate" before making a determination. This began my ordeal that would last nearly three months. After two weeks passed without hearing anything I started trying to reach someone to inquire what was going on, and I would routinely be placed on hold for over an hour before giving up in frustration. When I finally got the warehouse manager (or whoever it was responsible for investigating the claim) on the phone after another week or two he couldn't find the box.

The whereabouts of the box remained unknown for another two weeks, when he called me and informed me that someone else had made the decision that despite having been dropped off the truck and left in the rain for several hours the cause of the damage was entirely due to insufficient packaging and the box had been returned to the merchant so they could "send [me] new merchandise or issue a refund, since it was their fault for not packing it correctly." Since the "merchant" was private party it was sent back to the UPS store the guy I bought them from shipped them at, and they promptly refused to accept a return/damaged package. UPS then proceeded to lose track of the box for another five weeks. They literally had no idea where it was but continued to deny responsibility and insist that the merchant just needed to issue a refund or ship replacements. After escalating up to a "senior district manager" they finally located my seats, but said if I wanted them back I'd either have to pay for shipping from a warehouse just over the border in Kentucky, or else pick them up myself - a 3.5 hour one-way drive. The best the senior DM would do for me was waive the return shipping charge after I lost it and tore him three new assholes over the phone, and refused to acknowledge that they had made any mistakes at all during any part of the process.

TL;DR UPS breaks my poo poo, takes it back as part of the claims process, denies the claim, sticks the blame on the shipper and attempts to return it to a UPS store without notifying me, loses track of the package for over a month and then asks me to pay to have it returned OR drive several hundred miles to pick it up myself, without as much as an apology.

gently caress UPS.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 7, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Previa_fun posted:

It's...alright. Not great, not terrible. The plot was rather disjointed but otherwise it was fun. I wonder more and more if a lot of the criticisms of comic book movies are due to the limitations of the medium of a ~two hour film and directors getting more and more ambitious with the stories they want to try to tell in that time frame.

I thought it was worth a watch, but about 20 minutes too long. Since they didn't do the Marvel route of separate introductory movies, they had to cram introductions for the whole cast, and they weren't very compelling. This affected the entire movie, and explains the pacing issues.

Perfect casting for Harley Quinn, though. She was a scene-stealer. Jared Leto's Joker was a halfass Heath Ledger ripoff, and I honestly didn't even know that Will Smith was in the movie until today. The whole "assassin with a soft spot" has been overdone lately, but it was an acceptable performance.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

QuarkMartial posted:

Do unto others, friend.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Tide posted:

I could write an awfully long post about things, but I won't. All that matters is the path forward.

Internally, my state of mind is pretty much this on spin cycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z3lmidmrY

Means a lot that something I said had a positive effect on someone.

There's nothing in this world that can't be helped by Stan Rogers.

Rise again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

In a previous life I was a FedEx ground driver. I could equally rattle off stories of assholes all day but will settle for one. Dude was getting a Dell laptop with signature required. Went to the house, knocked and rang etc. I'm not shy about knocking either. He calls the terminal to say I never tried and obviously I was some sort of idiot that was at the wrong house. I then told the terminal that he was obviously wrong and wasn't home and then went on to describe the house in explicit detail with location on the street, type of door, landscaping, etc. Ground drivers are paid according to performance and delivering 100% every day is expected.

Had a good day. Hand washed both the M3 and the Flex including a good wheel scrub. Vacuumed out and filled both up with gas. It was a good bonding moment. Then went to Costco only to find they had USDA Prime brisket flats at $3.29/pound! I bought one a little bigger than 14 pounds. Cut it in half to freeze one side. I've got the dry rub on the other half and it's all wrapped up getting ready for tomorrow. I'll be waking up at 5 and throwing it on the Traeger smoker. Come 6:00 tomorrow I'll be busy getting my meat sweats on and crying for the sweet sweet taste of BBQ. :fork:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Do unto others, friend.

...then run!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

In a previous life I was a FedEx ground driver. I could equally rattle off stories of assholes all day but will settle for one. Dude was getting a Dell laptop with signature required. Went to the house, knocked and rang etc. I'm not shy about knocking either. He calls the terminal to say I never tried and obviously I was some sort of idiot that was at the wrong house. I then told the terminal that he was obviously wrong and wasn't home and then went on to describe the house in explicit detail with location on the street, type of door, landscaping, etc. Ground drivers are paid according to performance and delivering 100% every day is expected.

I've definitely heard that FedEx takes that sort of thing a bit more seriously. UPS might be cheaper, and might work fine 90% of the time, but anytime there's an issue or irregularity FedEx seems to have a way of handling it, whereas UPS seems to just poo poo itself in confusion as per Geoj's story. Does that jive with your experience?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Had a good day. Hand washed both the M3 and the Flex including a good wheel scrub. Vacuumed out and filled both up with gas. It was a good bonding moment. Then went to Costco only to find they had USDA Prime brisket flats at $3.29/pound! I bought one a little bigger than 14 pounds. Cut it in half to freeze one side. I've got the dry rub on the other half and it's all wrapped up getting ready for tomorrow. I'll be waking up at 5 and throwing it on the Traeger smoker. Come 6:00 tomorrow I'll be busy getting my meat sweats on and crying for the sweet sweet taste of BBQ. :fork:

I read this as if it was all the same story and got really angry for a minute about the total lack of a conclusion.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Wanna cause car crashes on your quiet little neighbour hood street?

Take your cat and a pint for a walk! Two people nearly hit parked cars doing a double take.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

Wanna cause car crashes on your quiet little neighbour hood street?

Take your cat and a pint for a walk! Two people nearly hit parked cars doing a double take.

Tried to train one of our cats to accept a leash, he freaked out.

I'm re-reading my project thread and I cant believe just how a) misnamed it is and b) how completely off the rails it suddenly got. Nor how much fun finding an absolute gem for a ridiculous price and bringing it back to life actually is

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My old cat would be perfectly fine on a leash indoors and on her own outdoors, but absolutely refused to go on a leash outdoors. She'd flatten herself against the ground and mewl and refuse to move.

She probably just didn't want her outdoor cat buddies to see her with the leash.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I think the worst realization after a night of drinking is being excited for a leftover burrito and then finding out you left it at the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

I think the worst realization after a night of drinking is being excited for a leftover burrito and then finding out you left it at the restaurant.

Ouch. That is just a cruel realization.

• Locked thread