Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm not sure I fully Phelps what you're saying with this Phelps

Sorry, I'm watching NBC and was overcome with the number of times I heard that name introducing a race where he wasn't even in the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Japan just beat American in women's 100m butterfly by .01 seconds :stare: That's got to be the worst 2nd place feeling.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why do NBC pay so much money for the Olympics if they don't plan to show them?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

goatface posted:

Why do NBC pay so much money for the Olympics if they don't plan to show them?

You have it all wrong, they are buying commercial time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Even though it's delayed to gently caress, the Olympic soccer channel is showing whole halves without commercial interruption which is good.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
oshit found women's Volleyball, the sport where you have to be a 6+ to be allowed to compete :fap: Italy vs Serbia.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

oshit found women's Volleyball, the sport where you have to be a 6+ to be allowed to compete :fap: Italy vs Serbia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOERkFbjThA

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Sad to see the whole broadcast & data capture infrastructure hold up through the first primetime event.

They had to weightlift using pen and paper records this afternoon, it would have been wonderful to see swimming revert to a starter pistol and stopwatches.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I meant 6/10 not 6 feet tall, but RHH should always be encouraged :rock: .

I'm actually embarrassing myself at how well I'm able to follow this game just from watching the volleyball anime Haikyuu...

Also lol they keep playing the Imperial March whenever the Serbians challenge :xd: .

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
That's the biggest blow out I've ever seen. Test that Hungarian for drugs. Lol

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Yeah isn't one of the weird quirks that you can have as many TVs as you want and only have to pay a license fee if you actually view broadcasts on them? Like you can just say 'no I only use these 5 widescreens for video games and DVDs' and they can't really touch you legally?

Women's Table Tennis has a good game going between Romania and Poland.

yep. can have all the tvs you want but not connected to receiving a live broadcast your fine

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rasta_Al posted:

Test her for cetacean DNA, more likely.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rasta_Al posted:

Piss so hot its going to walk the closing ceremony Impanema medly in place of Gisele.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I have no idea why NBC insists on having loving gymnastics be a PRIMETIME EVENT.
my guess is that mary lou rheton won gold in 1984 and all of a sudden americans started giving a poo poo about gymnastics, which used to be completely dominated by romania

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yea I just watched that on the other TV. Beat the world record by what 2 full seconds? That's nuts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Takes No Damage posted:

Yea I just watched that on the other TV. Beat the world record by what 2 full seconds? That's nuts.

Yeah, loving nuts. And gently caress NBC for not having weightlifting on even though it's listed in the guide. Dickheads.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nooner posted:

USA gets first gold for shooting, 2nd and 3rd are the chinee, I hope they remember that next time they tryna start a war over that ol south sea, gonna Chris Kyle them all I tell ya wut :bahgawd:

How does a country place two times? That's stupid, it should be like that golf mode where you just take the best hit of your team

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They just played a clip of Who Let the Dogs Out during the women's volleyball match so the crowd could chant WHO WHO WHO. This is amazing to me.

e: ahahahaha another Serbian challenge, another Imperial March clip.

e2: OK I guess they play IM whenever anyone challenges, Italy just won one from Serbia but they're still down 2.5 games in a best of 5 :ohdear:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 7, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Yeah isn't one of the weird quirks that you can have as many TVs as you want and only have to pay a license fee if you actually view broadcasts on them? Like you can just say 'no I only use these 5 widescreens for video games and DVDs' and they can't really touch you legally?

Women's Table Tennis has a good game going between Romania and Poland.

Where are you people finding cool poo poo like weightlifting and table tennis? All I can find is lovely cycling and swimming.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I have no idea why NBC insists on having loving gymnastics be a PRIMETIME EVENT. I'm sure they do the same thing for figure skating.

I don't understand. Gymnastics owns.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

I don't understand. Gymnastics owns.

Yes, but if they showed it live,you would've gotten to see that dude's leg break.

NBCSN has more table tennis and this Portuguese lady is giving me SERIOUS Landlady-From-Kung-Fu-Hustle vibes.

LOL, they just said she's 22.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Where are you people finding cool poo poo like weightlifting and table tennis? All I can find is lovely cycling and swimming.

BBC live streams, it sure as hell isn't on NBC. Install the Chrome extension Beebs to unblock BBC if you're not in the UK.

e: Women's Volleyball just ended, 3 close games but Serbia bested Italy 3 games to 0. I might actually have to follow this now.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BBC or CBC live streams via VPN.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

http://olympics.cbc.ca/online-listing/

Worth fiddling with a VPN for if you, like me, are now keyed up for the next 10 days of weightlifting.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Worth fiddling with a VPN for if you, like me, are now keyed up for the next 10 days of weightlifting.

Or women's beach volleyball. :heysexy:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Takes No Damage posted:

BBC live streams, it sure as hell isn't on NBC. Install the Chrome extension Beebs to unblock BBC if you're not in the UK.

e: Women's Volleyball just ended, 3 close games but Serbia bested Italy 3 games to 0. I might actually have to follow this now.

I am currently watching archery through Beebs. I'm not sure how to identify the live stream. I don't see a "WATCH LIVE" link or anything when Beebs opens the page.

The American archery team honest to God look like they could all be named Cletus. One of them is technically obese, I'm pretty sure, and has that lip configuration that screams, "life-long tobacco chewer." They're up against China. So, it's Chinese dude with bow, Chinese dude with bow, Chinese dude with bow, Chinese dude with spotter scope/windage thing, or whatever that device is. Then, it's Cletus, Cletus, Cletus, Chinese dude with scope. We're the melting pot and everything, but it still looks weird to have this one Chinese dude on the American team when they're up against China.

Edit:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Oh, yeah. I think I saw that link on the site, somewhere. I forgot to click it. Thanks.

Edit II: Oh, no, I didn't. I saw a similar link on the BBC page.

Edit III: They're previewing Judo, now, and the American got a throw, then ripped open his robe and screamed like a maniac. Stay classy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Edit III: They're previewing Judo, now, and the American got a throw, then ripped open his robe and screamed like a maniac. Stay classy.
that owns

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is oiled Tongan still Ok?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just saw some national geographic boobs on nbc. Was cool

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Viruswithshoes posted:

You have to go looking for the juicy bits, the IOC and Olympic broadcasters won't show you any of this

https://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016

Also, if anyone is interested, they can just copy/paste (or read) this subreddit who are keeping track of all the good stuff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think there was a suspicious package found on the biking course today

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ranks on a scale of 1 out of 10 but it was a slow day and somewhat bizarre...

China vs. Switzerland beach VB.

China did a replay challenge on a potential match point. Won the challenge even though the replay showed they were wrong and in fact were the ones causing the fault. Announcer saying there is absolutely no recourse for the Swiss as they were bitching up a storm. China signs balls, walks off the beach, etc. then it goes into an Tom Brokaw shitfest. Fifteen seconds in that show and it goes back to the match and somehow they reverse the replay challenge even though it isn't in the rule books to do so.

Thanks NBC, nice work.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Haier posted:

the good stuff.

quote:

BREAKING: Two #AUS rowing coaches robbed by kids with large knife near team accom at Ipanema. Not hurt. Wallet phones and team blazer gone.

Amazing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pretty sad powerful, olympic athletes can't zimmerman the sewer urchins

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/danielsutton10/status/762107466805026820

beaten, but never a dull moment.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Haier posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apocalympics2016

Also, if anyone is interested, they can just copy/paste (or read) this subreddit who are keeping track of all the good stuff.

Can't make this poo poo up, Serbian rowers capsize into gross water

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/06/serbia-rowers-sunk-capsize-rio-olympics

Smith was speaking after loud complaints about racing on the opening day being allowed to go ahead, despite the weather, which led to several rowers nearly capsizing before the Serbian men’s pair of Milos Vasic and Nenad Bedik went into the water when their boat caught a crab.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Catching a crab is a rowing term when you don't get your oar far enough above the water and it catches when you're trying to swing it forward again. This can actually break and arm or a rib if it hits you the wrong way. Another goon described it as if you were driving down the road and suddenly your seatbelt was bolted to the pavement while the rest of the car kept going.

What the gently caress did Australia do in a previous life to offend Brazilians so much? Also for skipping around the different events I've been going to this page http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/schedule through Beebs and clicking on what I want to see. It doesn't seem totally accurate with what is currently live but I've had pretty good luck throughout the day.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2016

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

are you saying Crocodile Dundee was a lie?

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Possible Kayak capsizing due to hitting a sofa..... http://larrybrownsports.com/olympics/olympics-investigating-kayak-sofa/315868

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lime Tonics posted:

beaten, but never a dull moment.
Indeed:

quote:

Coordinator of opening safety suffers attempted robbery after the ceremony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016