Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Endorph posted:

why isn't doubles the standard format

because smash and smash players are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

A.o.D. posted:

its a lot of fun actually

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Countblanc posted:

its a lot of fun actually

Okay, I'll amend my statement.

Smash is a terrible fighting game. It's an alright party game!

Smash players are still pretty terrible.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 6, 2016

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Okay, I'll amend my statement.

Smash is a terrible fighting game. It's an alright party game!

If you like tons of mobility, footsies and instant kills then Smash 4 is the fighting game for you. Play Ryu he's good and strong.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reiley posted:

If you like tons of mobility, footsies and instant kills then Smash 4 is the fighting game for you. Play Ryu he's good and strong.

why do melee players insist on four stocks instead of two? i really dont get it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Booyah- posted:

why do melee players insist on four stocks instead of two? i really dont get it

I don't follow it too closely but two stock melee matches would be over in like a minute.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

good?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

what makes the bursts in skullgirls any less a legitimate means of preventing infinites than hitstun scaling, pushback scaling, weight scaling, and/or juggle limits??

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Endorph posted:

why isn't doubles the standard format

Hey now let's not make 'having friends' yet another entry barrier to overcome.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

what makes the bursts in skullgirls any less a legitimate means of preventing infinites than hitstun scaling, pushback scaling, weight scaling, and/or juggle limits??

I dont want to think hard enough about skull girl to answer this

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

or ground bounce limits, wall bounce limits, otg limits, or "dizzying out"?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Zand posted:

I dont want to think hard enough about skull girl to answer this

that's fair, it's not like Jack Trades put any thought into it when he said it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Combos are a bad mechanic because you can't play while they're landing a combo on you.
Also 8 frames input delay is a great idea.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I played the story mode the other day. It was ok but nothing too special and it is still laughable that they couldn't get it done for launch when they were expressing their intent to bring more casual players into the game.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

NecroMonster posted:

the skullgirls IPS burst feels like mike z himself just came up from behind and slapped the stick outta your hands while admonishing you the way a father from a 1950's sitcom might for thinking you get to keep comboing

the rest of these things don't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

it's in skullgirls

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reiley posted:

I don't follow it too closely but two stock melee matches would be over in like a minute.

so maybe... three stocks then?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Booyah- posted:

so maybe... three stocks then?

From what I know about melee you could still have satisfying matches with three stocks but the community is very rooted in a decade of tradition so it would be like pulling teeth to get that to change. I think curious FG people should play the WiiU one though, it's the most traditional FG-leaning version of the Smash formula in the series, that's my elevator pitch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smash 4 is also actually fun to watch

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Man what if they made skrullgirls..... That would be dope......

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Man what if they made skrullgirls..... That would be dope......

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reiley posted:

From what I know about melee you could still have satisfying matches with three stocks but the community is very rooted in a decade of tradition so it would be like pulling teeth to get that to change. I think curious FG people should play the WiiU one though, it's the most traditional FG-leaning version of the Smash formula in the series, that's my elevator pitch.

so maybe... two stocks then?

from what i can tell of wiiu smash, no character can really fall off the stage unless they are forced out. is that why there are just two stocks?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

2 stock became standard because that's what For Glory, the game's random online 1v1 mode, was set to. TOs decided to start with that in tournaments to see how it worked out and its largely been fine for the players. there are some regions that play 3 stock but that will probably never become standard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Booyah- posted:

from what i can tell of wiiu smash, no character can really fall off the stage unless they are forced out. is that why there are just two stocks?

Stocks generally last longer in Smash 4 than in melee, yeah. 3 or 4 stock Smash 4 would take considerably longer

melee should probably be 3 stock but I don't play that game anymore and it's not really my place as someone who doesn't play a game to dictate how people should play it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Booyah- posted:

WiiU Smash was built from the ground up with two stock matches in mind. The current format of 2 stocks and a 6 minute round timer is a close parallel to three 99-second rounds, one stock is a lot more valuable and a lot more back-and-forth can happen before someone dies compared to Melee, where players can end stocks much quicker from most places on stage.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/AmbassadorHuber/status/762044653680009216

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i was watching justin wong's play at some con this weekend on youtube and its funny how years after getting clowned trying to win on raw super he is still doing it. lucky for him gootecks is bad

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Play Rise of Incarnates
Oh......
Play Anarchy Reigns
Oh......

Everything I love dies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

Doubles is too degenerate. 4 player free for all should be the tournament format the way Sakurai (god) intended.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Gorp posted:

Play Rise of Incarnates
Oh......
Play Anarchy Reigns
Oh......

Everything I love dies.

Look at the bright side, at least you'll live forever.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

it's not intuitive and doesn't feel natural- the other things you listed you can visually see happening and connect a basic identification as to why it's happening while the SG has a specific ruleset and bar that helps folks learn it's there or something
alongside that the IPS burst is an activated mechanic so it's radically different than stuff that occurs more naturally through decay. from that it feels more forced because you go from 100 to 0 rather than adjusting based on your character knowledge and feel for the situation
undizzying is probably the closest example but even then it's still technically a passive mechanic with an easily identifiable pattern of 'at some beyond x hits theyre gonna pop out' even if the specifics are loving insane supposedly

i guess the shortest way to say it is that it's not graceful vs the other methods even if it has a similar function at a larger level

The Gorp posted:

Play Rise of Incarnates
Oh......
Play Anarchy Reigns
Oh......

Everything I love dies.
play marvel
two negatives make a positive

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 7, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fereydun posted:

play marvel

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Capcom apparently is doing online tournaments now for CPT. I've never seen so much lag and rollback in my life. My god who thought this was a good idea?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Microwaves Mom posted:

Capcom apparently is doing online tournaments now for CPT. I've never seen so much lag and rollback in my life. My god who thought this was a good idea?

They put MEXICO in the LatAm CPT qualifiers. What the gently caress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

They put MEXICO in the LatAm CPT qualifiers. What the gently caress.

How is Mexico not a part of Latin America?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

How is Mexico not a part of Latin America?

How is putting a country that gets 200 ping with every South American country in the same tournament as them a good idea?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

How is putting a country that gets 200 ping with every South American country in the same tournament as them a good idea?

Capcom.

Although, I have on rare occasions had playable matches against brazillions and I'm in the Southern US.

I've also had pretty good connections with Mexicans.

Maybe people should stop using the wifi on their loving Playstations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The best ping I ever got Brazil-US was 150 late-night, which I guess is doable if you don't give a gently caress. I think we get better routes there than we do to Mexico though, but it's not a great idea regardless considering our infrastructure and all. Mexico would be better served as NA for qualifier purposes.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

A.o.D. posted:

Although, I have on rare occasions had playable matches against brazillions and I'm in the Southern US.

It was unplayable for them, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42xoxS_qmGA