Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Hmm. What to do, whaaat tooo dooo............

Amazon has copies

You can redeem the serial you get with the disc on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012

nielsm posted:

If you can run Dissolution of Eternity HIPDM1 for a while I'd love to join in on that!

Okay it's up, but I won't be able to play until much later. gamedir is "hipnotic"

Got a small LAN going on maybe get some netquake + mods later as well.

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 6, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm looking forward to Arkane's Prey. It doesn't really look anything like the original, but hopefully it'll be able to stand apart just fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I really loved Rage but there's no denying that the driving element was puzzling because it was so bllleeehhhhh. But that combat? Oh yes. Just get a different sound designer to give those guns some more punch and it's all good baby.

I agree. The driving wasn't awfu but it felt like filler to the great shooting bits.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

foozwak posted:

You can redeem the serial you get with the disc on steam.

I did it four or five years ago. There are still budget boxed copies in shops where I live.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eatpants posted:

Okay it's up, but I won't be able to play until much later. gamedir is "hipnotic"

Got a small LAN going on maybe get some netquake + mods later as well.

Conclusion: HipDM1 is a powerupfest, may be more fun with more than 2 players. (I think I last played it in 1998, with 3 or maybe 4 players.)

Also, good Quake TeamFortress maps are far too long between, and the classic 2fort4 is ugly and extremely dark. I never really played TFC (maybe once or twice), but TF2 is an immense upgrade in both map playability and feature polish. (Good riddance of those class grenades.)

And someone talked about Quake 1 map build tools with radiosity support. What are those called? Because I certainly can't find them anywhere, and that's even in tools updated as late as 2014.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
I used to have some weird QWTF maps -- had one where each base is a woman's legs and the front door is the hoo ha and the underwater entrance is the poop chute. Wish I could find that again.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

reminds me of map30 from Kamasutra megawad:

:nws: https://youtu.be/E86yF9-8k7Y :nws:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

laserghost posted:

:wtc:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

laserghost posted:

Aww, geez. Reminds me of my last date. Awkward....

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd ask if someone did a goatse version but I'm not sure I want the answer...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Convex posted:

I'd ask if someone did a goatse version but I'm not sure I want the answer...
One WAD (Mock 2?) has a giant toilet with a hovering rear end making GBS threads out enemies.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

david_a posted:

One WAD (Mock 2?) has a giant toilet with a hovering rear end making GBS threads out enemies.

Can I play it in Chocolate Doom?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Copper Vein posted:

Can I play it in Chocolate Doom?
No, this lovingly crafted creation has too much chocolate for Chocolate Doom.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hi I'm 27 and I just played Brutal Doom for the first time last week and what the gently caress

How could this be all I needed??

also I feel like this is what olds and worriers saw when DOOM came out

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

verbal enema posted:

Hi I'm 27 and I just played Brutal Doom for the first time last week and what the gently caress

Try Project Brutality, it's a definite improvement over BD. And then be like me and use that to springboard yourself well into the Doom fandom. There's a ton of sweet mods out there, ranging from map-packs to gameplay mods to total conversion mods. I'm currently working on a few myself, and it's fantastic fun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LogicalFallacy posted:

Try Project Brutality, it's a definite improvement over BD. And then be like me and use that to springboard yourself well into the Doom fandom. There's a ton of sweet mods out there, ranging from map-packs to gameplay mods to total conversion mods. I'm currently working on a few myself, and it's fantastic fun.

DOOM was the first game I played on PC waaaaay back. I don't know how or why I never jumped into the mods. I was so obsessed with Duke3D mods I feel so foolish but there was some sick rear end D3D mods tho

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'm playing through Quake now that I've finished Super Metroid. It's pretty good, but the first episode is brown as gently caress. Also Shamblers are assholes.

verbal enema posted:

What have you done!? Quick, run away before the derail starts!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

david_a posted:

Presenting without further comment, Urea 51, the secret level in Saturn Duke 3D: https://forums.duke4.net/topic/7744-urea-51-pc-version/

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I went to a barcade tonight and they have consoles set up on CRTs with flash carts and I was poking around the Genesis cart and there was a Duke 3D rom on it so I loaded that up to check for the strippers but New Game went straight to the Spaceport episode and the level was some kind of Game.Com poo poo so I rebooted cuz the strippers clearly weren't gonna be there.

Then I found another attempt at a Genesis FPS on the same flash cart called Cybercop and it was completely unintelligible except that it was neat that the reticule auto targeted enemies on the untextured ceiling.

Then I jumped onto the N64 and booted Quake 64 and was racing to E1M2 to dunk my head underwater and test the warping effects but the hateful goddamn N64 analog stick could not handle the speed of Quake and I kept careening into walls and then a dude came around and told me that I didn't have to go home but I couldn't stay there. If anybody knows about the N64 water-warp hit me up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

I went to a barcade tonight and they have consoles set up on CRTs with flash carts and I was poking around the Genesis cart and there was a Duke 3D rom on it so I loaded that up to check for the strippers but New Game went straight to the Spaceport episode and the level was some kind of Game.Com poo poo so I rebooted cuz the strippers clearly weren't gonna be there.
That port was a weird thing by Sega's longtime partners in Brazil, TecToy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdrJtrCi3U

They also did a Master System port of Street Fighter 2, of all the goddamn things.

Copper Vein posted:

Then I found another attempt at a Genesis FPS on the same flash cart called Cybercop and it was completely unintelligible except that it was neat that the reticule auto targeted enemies on the untextured ceiling.
Genesis FPSes are kind of fascinating because that hardware wasn't very suited to them. Zero Tolerance is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMLb22_Z5g

Copper Vein posted:

Then I jumped onto the N64 and booted Quake 64 and was racing to E1M2 to dunk my head underwater and test the warping effects but the hateful goddamn N64 analog stick could not handle the speed of Quake and I kept careening into walls and then a dude came around and told me that I didn't have to go home but I couldn't stay there. If anybody knows about the N64 water-warp hit me up.
i gotchu fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpC1FRFirW0&t=289s

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Turns out there's a longplay of Cybercop on the Genesis because of course there is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOlQ_v08EFA

This is the first thing I saw when I booted the ROM and the game started. I didn't even know it was try'na be an FPS at this point; I thought I was equipping my Cybercop with cyber-ware.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There's a pool of water in E1M1 :geno:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

khwarezm posted:

It amuses me how its turning into a thing that every time an Id property is resurrected people start off like, 'Ugh, it looks like poo poo! A poorly thought out remake that doesn't get the old games on anything other than a surface level and wears its torn off face over its own to try and exploit the name recognition' and then a bit later everyone's like 'actually this is a really good entry in the series that modernizes what made the old games great without losing too much in the process :goleft:'.

I just assumed they'd all be good since it says id on them, call me old fashioned. Quake Champions does look good! Granted, apparently not made mainly by id, but hey looks like good times. I'm even cool with the classes and whatnot, but would be cool if they include a mode or two without that, for variety. I like the giant eyeball in the gameplay trailer, pretty cool.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

There's a pool of water in E1M1 :geno:
And slime, which you can go in with the suit... E1M1 has a bunch of secrets found in liquids.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well, trying to work around not having radiosity in Q1. It's doable, but lots of work placing little lights everywhere. Using "delay 2" (inverse square) falloff does make things a lot better for point lights.

I want to try building a TF2-ish map for QWTF, here's a concept for a spawn room:

There's no minlight or sunlight here, only pointlights placed by the fixtures, two for each. Also using the colored lighting features, it definitely helps.

The little plate on the right will hold a key-item the blue team has to bring to objectives to capture them, each objective has several terminals (I guess) that need to be activated to be able to proceed to the next objective. I have that part working in a POC map, I only need to figure out a way to handle red team scoring, since they win by defending from blue. Probably just a series of timers that get enabled/disabled as required.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As someone who played Spy a lot, I loved all of the darkness in QWTF maps.

Canalzon was one of the best and I will knife anyone who says different.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

The Kins posted:

That port was a weird thing by Sega's longtime partners in Brazil, TecToy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPdrJtrCi3U

Duke 3D doesn't look very impressive in 2016 but it's actually one of the more impressive commercial Genesis games technically.

In the homebrew scene though, someone ported Wolf 3D pretty well to the Genesis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqjQf-xr-g

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

nielsm posted:

Well, trying to work around not having radiosity in Q1. It's doable, but lots of work placing little lights everywhere. Using "delay 2" (inverse square) falloff does make things a lot better for point lights.

I want to try building a TF2-ish map for QWTF, here's a concept for a spawn room:

There's no minlight or sunlight here, only pointlights placed by the fixtures, two for each. Also using the colored lighting features, it definitely helps.

The little plate on the right will hold a key-item the blue team has to bring to objectives to capture them, each objective has several terminals (I guess) that need to be activated to be able to proceed to the next objective. I have that part working in a POC map, I only need to figure out a way to handle red team scoring, since they win by defending from blue. Probably just a series of timers that get enabled/disabled as required.
You might find this alternate lighting tool somewhat useful, if you're trying to make some radiosity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

laserghost posted:

What makes this so funny is that the other Kama Sutra levels are completely normal (if very hard) Doom maps, and then you make it to map 30 and suddenly realise, "Oh, so that's why they called it that."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

jeeves posted:

As someone who played Spy a lot, I loved all of the darkness in QWTF maps.

Canalzon was one of the best and I will knife anyone who says different.

quoting for full agreement - I had completely forgotten about Canalzone but it was, relatively speaking given this was 1998 or so, an expansive map with a myriad routes, including vertical movement, and, even ignoring the engine constraints, had personality/atmosphere that was fun to just run around in.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

Turns out there's a longplay of Cybercop on the Genesis because of course there is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOlQ_v08EFA

This is the first thing I saw when I booted the ROM and the game started. I didn't even know it was try'na be an FPS at this point; I thought I was equipping my Cybercop with cyber-ware.

There are longplays if pretty much anything now. I remember being really weirded out by the body meters in Cybercop and thinking it was a two player game since there were two sets of meters :downs:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

You might find this alternate lighting tool somewhat useful, if you're trying to make some radiosity.

Why the gently caress is that not linked from any of the sites I can find, that cover Q1 mapping?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

What makes this so funny is that the other Kama Sutra levels are completely normal (if very hard) Doom maps, and then you make it to map 30 and suddenly realise, "Oh, so that's why they called it that."

The real funny part is that the "kids" version of that map is a lot harder to manage.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

nielsm posted:

Why the gently caress is that not linked from any of the sites I can find, that cover Q1 mapping?

It was posted on the celephais board which is where quake mapping mostly lives nowadays. If you are familiar with any 3D editors you may also want to check out the obj2map converter, also found on that board, which makes building detailed props, modules, or whole rooms way easier. They also got threads on things like mapping “hacks” suck as giving monsters armor or spawnable triggers. Overall it's a good idea to do a site:celephais.net search for any mapping question because that boards layout is impenetrable.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cyber-Cop is actually a port of sorta System Shockish pre-Wolf3d game called Corporation, released on Amiga and PC. It was developed by Core Design (yes, Brits who made excellent Amiga shmup Banshee, cult platformer series Chuck Rock, the godawful Rick Dangerous and a little game called Tomb Raider).

Zero Tolerance is surprisingly good for late 16-bit game. I have the cart, and while turning around isn't very smooth or intuitive, it plays very well up until few last stages which are bullshit hard and have very, very little ammo. But on the other hand, you start the second part of the game on the roof of the building, hiding from ongoing sniper assault, which is very cool.

There's also another Genesis FPS, Blood Frenzy. It's alright, has funky OST.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Project Brutality still crashes the moment a shotgun Sargent appears in a level for me. I come back every few months to try a new van GZDoom but it's never fixed - from what I can tell I'm the only one with this issue too :(

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Man I play too much Doom. Project Brutality is the greatest thing ever. When I want to listen to music I fire up good ol Doom and just chill. If you would have told teenage me that 20 years later Id still be enjoying the hell out of this game I wouldnt have believed it. Doom and Quake just have something more gratifying to them than other shooters through the years.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I always bet on Duke, but I agree on the Doom/Quake love no doubt, beautiful to see all these games still rocking today.

Now where's Half-Life 3?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Siva68 posted:

Man I play too much Doom. Project Brutality is the greatest thing ever. When I want to listen to music I fire up good ol Doom and just chill. If you would have told teenage me that 20 years later Id still be enjoying the hell out of this game I wouldnt have believed it. Doom and Quake just have something more gratifying to them than other shooters through the years.

:crossarms: Too....much....Doom? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Wamdoodle posted:

:crossarms: Too....much....Doom? :confused:

Ok maybe not too much. I have such a backlog of wads, conversions, etc. I probably could be set for another 20 years of Doom.