Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Does anyone here know what % of Greens are anti-vax? Every time I check the Google it only discusses Stein's views, not the party in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to publicly challenge Thomas Friedman to learn a new skill or trade.

But he'd probably just start babbling about a time his grandkid showed him how to download an app.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

Follow that up with all of the hubbub over the government asking Apple to unlock some cell phone and then one day just saying "Nevermind, we didn't need your help after all".

Most of the encryption that people use are based on things like SHA, AES, etc -- all things that the NSA has either developed or at least helped develop. "Well I'll just use some sort of open source encryption algorithm" is usually a bad idea because your average computer programmer doesn't know how to write good encryption software, and your average cryptologist doesn't know how to write secure code. You need to be able to do both extremely well in order to have a system that actually works and that isn't easily breakable.

You're a bit confused: the only good encryption is open source encryption, because then it can be mathematically proven to work well, since you know exactly how it works. AES and so on are all "open source".

Closed source encryption is often a terrible idea because you don't know if they've implemented something that actually works well and doesn't have gaping flaws, and a lot of the time it's just various "open source" encryption techniques with some useless extra fluff on top.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Filthy Hans posted:

Does anyone here know what % of Greens are anti-vax? Every time I check the Google it only discusses Stein's views, not the party in general.

There's antivaxx bullshit dog whistling in their loving platform. So high enough to get that far.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't forget Jill Stein freaking out over radio waves recently.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Well to be fair there's "Putin annexing part of Ukraine may not be so bad" language in the GOP platform but it's not like we blame Trump for tha.... wait

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DemeaninDemon posted:

There's antivaxx bullshit dog whistling in their loving platform. So high enough to get that far.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if that's a majority of Greens or merely a vocal minority. Considering that their platform calls for a moratorium on all GMOs, I'm leaning towards the former possibility.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And hanging out with Putin's top associates (and top Trump aide) at "RT is awesome!" dinner, apparently, with the tzar himself in presence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Idiot hipster I work with indicated that he wanted to vote for Gary Johnson today. He and his family have been living paycheck to paycheck for years since he knocked his wife up when they were both in college. They've both got significant student loan debt. I'd argue with him but he tend to blow up when people disagree with him, especially when it comes to issues that he's incredibly ignorant about. You'd think a loving business major would know how tax brackets work but no, he thinks getting bumped into a higher tax bracket is a thing. For context he put his daughter on a gluten-free diet because she's a little chunky for her age, preached about the benefits of zero-drop shoes despite never running further than a few miles, and wants to jam his family of four into a tiny house. Basically he will restructure his life based on a halfway competent click-bait article.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Hey! Be fair. The good Dr. Stein did NOT freak out over radio waves.

She freaked out about WiFi. :downs:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Dork457 posted:

What the hell is this? I can't understand why you would make an infographic like this. From 538

Everyone who said this is a bad graph are wrong, it is a good graph.

It's a line plot that is nicely fit into a rectangular graphic without line breaks, it elegantly solves an issue with line plots and looks more interesting to boot.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Stereotype posted:

It's a line plot that is nicely fit into a rectangular graphic without line breaks, it elegantly solves an issue with line plots and looks more interesting to boot.

Agreed. The only problem with it is that it very literally implies that clinton and trump only have one route to the presidency, but no graph is perfect

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Huh. It really is.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Is there a version of this that's not Taylor-Swift-themed? Or something similar making the same case? I've got no issue with TSwift, but it's less easily shareable in professional contexts because of that stylistic decision.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there a version of this that's not Taylor-Swift-themed? Or something similar making the same case? I've got no issue with TSwift, but it's less easily shareable in professional contexts because of that stylistic decision.

The text isn't Taylor swift themed...so if the header is a bother, it is CC-BY so repost and attribute somewhere that won't hurt people's sensitivities

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Agreed. The only problem with it is that it very literally implies that clinton and trump only have one route to the presidency, but no graph is perfect

It's a naive assumption you could make looking only at polling numbers, that they are all linearly related to the national average. It is a simplification for sure though, which makes it not perfect.

The data it uses makes way more assumptions though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dork457 posted:

What the hell is this? I can't understand why you would make an infographic like this. From 538

this board game sucks

If you land on Florida you automatically lose

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yinlock posted:

this board game sucks

If you land on Florida you automatically lose

Just like real life. :smith:

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
I'd love thread-takes on a question I've been kicking around for a while.

USPOL! How will Choice-Supportive Bias impact the Democratic Party's future, given the number of Republicans who are voting for Hillary?

Choice-Supportive Bias is the tendency to seek out information supporting and retroactively justify the decision you made. The potential here is that if Hillary enacts her tax plan and other economic policies, social justice reforms, or other programs, Clinton-Voting Republicans are more likely to view those developments as positive changes because they chose the candidate who implemented them. It's basically the concept SedanChair is bitching about upthread (or why a subset of people are convinced Clinton's a DINO) but internecine left angle is so played out. Instead....

Do you think this is a thing? If so, how can Democrats and Progressives utilize it to shift the center in American Politics? Consider that for Anti-Trump Republicans who didn't bail from the party, a similar effect is occurring for those who rallied around the normally unpalatable Ted Cruz.

A few of my thoughts:
Use the hell out of Bill. In May, he had a 16pt edge on Hillary among Rs and a 9pt edge with Is on favorability. Which shouldn't be surprising, given a GOP theme of 2012 was "Why can't Obama be a good Democrat, like Bill was?"
Target messages to these voters who flipped, through traditionally conservative-heavy media (sports, finance, CBS shows). Microtargeting should help with this. And find messages that hit conservative themes (Secure Paid Family Medical Leave? Find a family willing to talk about how much better having a new baby was under the new rules than the old way. Secure retraining benefits? Find someone whose life improved after their company outsourced)
Heavy midterm campaign presence, data sharing and campaign infrastructure assistance. Dems need statehouses in 2020, and it can get easier with retaking the House, minimizing Senate losses and field testing messaging in purple districts.

e:

Jackson Taus posted:

Author deleted it from the less-themed Medium, it looks like. Archives may still have it, but yeah, CC-BY so just attribute (swiftonsecurity.tumblr.com isn't going to raise any eyebrows, other than for people in on the joke. Who you don't have to worry about anyway).

If you're not down with Infosec Taylor Swift though, we can't be internet friends :boom:

Geoff Peterson fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 7, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stereotype posted:

It also draws a comparison between the American electorate and a human digestive tract, with the red states being, in a literal sense, shittier as they more reliably vote GOP.

It's a good graph.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stereotype posted:

It's also super understandable if you look at it for more than 14 seconds. It's a board game, and the middle is winning. From the looks of it, Hillary is already there, and if you're looking at Trump you see what he has to win to take it.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Anyone heard anything about any new polling in Texas? The last one from 538 is a YouGov from early June and Trump was up five... kinda want to see if the month long Trumpster fire has created the most absolute comedic possible result for this election -- Texas as a swing state. Can't imagine the GOP would react well to a Trump +1 and I imagine it'll be the end of The Donald if Clinton is leading.

Grondoth posted:

It's also super understandable if you look at it for more than 14 seconds. It's a board game, and the middle is winning. From the looks of it, Hillary is already there, and if you're looking at Trump you see what he has to win to take it.

I thought it gave a pretty good idea of what Trump is facing -- just roadblock after roadblock from the electoral college and a nearly impossible path.

Edit: usual late adds and fixes.

acejackson42 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 7, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech posted:

You're a bit confused: the only good encryption is open source encryption, because then it can be mathematically proven to work well, since you know exactly how it works. AES and so on are all "open source".

Closed source encryption is often a terrible idea because you don't know if they've implemented something that actually works well and doesn't have gaping flaws, and a lot of the time it's just various "open source" encryption techniques with some useless extra fluff on top.

Yes yes I'm aware of the open source ideal of "the software will reach a point of perfection because literally anyone can look at and modify the source code!" But that's a double-edged sword, as it is also very easy to subtly compromise open source software, especially when the topic is as poorly-understood among programmers as cryptography often is.

And while there are some great open source projects, the reality is that most of them suck and if you just close your eyes and pick some random open source encryption project off of github then chances are good that you're going to have something lovely and full of vulnerabilities because encryption is legit hard, yo.

e: Also please note that you're the one turning this into an open vs closed source argument. My point was simply that "open source" is not a magic bullet to software vulnerability

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 7, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/762005541388378112

Here's an interesting tweet. We can tell when someone takes Trump's phone away.

Also, apparently he uses Droid.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Trump really projects doesn't he?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Warcabbit posted:

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/762005541388378112

Here's an interesting tweet. We can tell when someone takes Trump's phone away.

Also, apparently he uses Droid.

According to http://gawker.com/our-trump-twitter-bot-filters-out-donald-trumps-new-han-1783906386 , he stopped using Apple after the whole FBI thing with the shooters in California (there's also a link there for a bot that pulls the android only tweets).

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/762152466670432256

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Trump really projects doesn't he?

It's more of a 'GOP as a whole' thing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

At her worst, Hillary is almost as bad as Donald.

Try harder.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUYS! MAYBE THE TRUTH IS IN THE-

*rear end explodes*

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

HEY GUYS! MAYBE THE TRUTH IS IN THE-

*rear end explodes*

"Clinton isn't doing bad, but what if we pretend like she is? *makes spooky ghost noises*"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Clinton's hitting 50 pretty often now, whereas Trump hasn't hit 46 ever in any scenario, and my own models show he is a huge loser.

"Set beside the grand sweep of infinity though, aren't these basically the same numbers - or at least so close as to be the same to all but the eye of the creator himself? As a pollster, will I claim to know the set of inifinity well enough to make any value judgement at all? I think not, and thus I say that I think people just don't like her, despite my data saying otherwise, because ignoring my polling worked well in the GOP primary"

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jesus loves you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I would love to hear what 'worst' moments of hers are anywhere near Trump's worst. Like, do we mean polling because that's not true. Do we mean behavior because that's not true. Do we mean amount of implied incest thoughts because that super isn't true!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, for those of you who are still wondering if the GOP will replace Trump (or he drops out), here's the drop out dates: https://ballotpedia.org/State_laws_...eneral_election

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ah yes, noted political pundit Nate Silver, known for his ability to make value judgements not attached to mathematical statistics like Donald Trump could never win the Republican primary. I'm very confident in his non-math based opinions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

iospace posted:

So, for those of you who are still wondering if the GOP will replace Trump (or he drops out), here's the drop out dates: https://ballotpedia.org/State_laws_...eneral_election

He'll be replaced by Rubio with a moustache, going under the name Donaldo Juarez Trump, so the ballots will still be accurate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Trump's worst moments, from this past couple weeks alone, include insulting the parents of a man who died serving his country and implying by making a poo poo ton of money he 'sacrificed' for his country too. From this campaign alone include him saying he'd ban an entire faith from immigrating to the country, calling an entire country's immigrant's rapists, mocking a disabled man's disability, encouraging his fans to beat up protesters, and generally running on a platform of pure white nationalism.

Please someone tell me what Hillary's worst was that comes near any of those.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Trump's worst moments, from this past couple weeks alone, include insulting the parents of a man who died serving his country and implying by making a poo poo ton of money he 'sacrificed' for his country too. From this campaign alone include him saying he'd ban an entire faith from immigrating to the country, calling an entire country's immigrant's rapists, mocking a disabled man's disability, encouraging his fans to beat up protesters, and generally running on a platform of pure white nationalism.

Please someone tell me what Hillary's worst was that comes near any of those.

there was that time she didn't do anything to save Vilerat in Benghazi

there was that time that she invaded Honduras

can't forget about all the people she's killed either

and she's Johnny 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Johnny 5 has more natural charisma and likability than any candidate in recent memory, it's a pretty lovely branding attempt by Trump imho

Probably stems from jealousy. Trump catches heat because he hasn't read the Bible, whereas Johnny 5 can read a hundred Bibles a minute

• Locked thread