Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ReindeerF posted:

There's always a new group from what I gather. I forget how it goes, but starting post-American/Vietnam War, something like Americans, then British and French, then Germans, then Scandinavians, then Russians, now Chinese. God bless Thailand's tourist sector economy if the world stops generating newly wealthy countries who like triangle pillows, bad versions of their own food and low cost hand jobs.

There's gonna be a weird sweet spot right after China implodes where you'll be able to book the whole beach on Koh Larn for like B100 and a positive Yelp review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

There's gonna be a weird sweet spot right after China implodes where you'll be able to book the whole beach on Koh Larn for like B100 and a positive Yelp review.
I'm not even sure I have mixed feelings. I'm thinking.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Chantilly Say posted:

Putting this on my calendar. Sign me the gently caress up!

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I've been speaking to a few Indonesian women on tinder today (just an easy way of practising my language stuff) and whenever I start speaking Indonesian they act like I'm some sort of alien from outer space, it's hilarious

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What's the consensus these days on the eastern Thai islands? My understanding is basically: Koh Samui = rich people, Koh Phangan = party people, Koh Tao = diving people. Is that still basically accurate?

We're arriving in Koh Samui in a couple of days and aim to spend a couple of weeks travelling around the islands. Any recommendations from anyone? We're mid-30s now so partying and meth isn't really our scene, and I think we're just looking to kick back and relax after travelling through Indonesia and Malaysia for the last few months. Not on a backpacker budget but funds aren't unlimited either.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

webmeister posted:

We're arriving in Koh Samui in a couple of days and aim to spend a couple of weeks travelling around the islands. Any recommendations from anyone? We're mid-30s now so partying and meth isn't really our scene, and I think we're just looking to kick back and relax after travelling through Indonesia and Malaysia for the last few months. Not on a backpacker budget but funds aren't unlimited either.

My friend owns this.... http://www.samujana.com I might be able to get you a deal on one if you want to stay there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Duck pest control service for rice paddies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3cfoPjyR4

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

Duck pest control service for rice paddies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx3cfoPjyR4

I love the discipline when they are told to back into the truck. :D

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

JaySB posted:

My friend owns this.... http://www.samujana.com I might be able to get you a deal on one if you want to stay there.

Wow yeah that's uh, a bit out of our price range! Nice villas though!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.yahoo.com/news/angkor-temple-entrance-fee-almost-double-february-091330993.html

quote:

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — Visitors to Cambodia's famed Angkor temple complex will have to pay almost twice as much for admission starting next February, the government said Friday.

A government statement said the price of single-day tickets will rise from $20 currently to $37. A three-day pass will cost $62, up from $40. The price of a 7-day ticket, valid over a one-month period, will go up from $60 to $72.

No explanation was given for the increase. The government said $2 from each ticket sold will be donated to a Swiss-owned children's hospital, Kantha Bopha, which provides free treatment.
Start drinking Angkor, everyone.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So it looks like the Junta got the result they were looking for in the referendum. Time for....nothing to really change? I mean, whenever things were going how they didn't like in the past, the military have taken control anyway.

Also, my wife went home to vote and surprisingly enough there weren't any 'incentives' to be had. I was in her village for the last general election and people could choose between 500 baht or a box of Chang.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 8, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bardeh posted:

So it looks like the Junta got the result they were looking for in the referendum. Time for....nothing to really change? I mean, whenever things were going how they didn't like in the past, the military have taken control anyway.

Also, my wife went home to vote and surprisingly enough there weren't any 'incentives' to be had. I was in her village for the last general election and people could choose between 500 baht or a box of Chang.

That's the trade-off with the junta. The people have less power and it's authoritarian, but it's less literally corrupt.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

Who knows, but I think this and the Yingluck trial are a couple of big things the opposition have been waiting for. They figuratively lost the referendum, but I don't think anyone voted. I know a number of yellow shirts who just abstained. It's interesting to see whether they'll keep waiting for The Big One (or the other Big One)or whether they'll get exhausted of waiting and start the machine up again after one of these sub-major events. I really don't know enough this time to guess and from talking to people I know, I don't feel like anyone does. Feels very much like a stalemate for now and you have to wonder how much pull squarehead has up North as a personality anymore after his self-serving bonehead gaffes last time around (as opposed to the general popular movement that was inspired).

As much as the bourgeoisie profess to hate Thaksin, who is basically super-successful them, no one likes the current government much. It's a bit like watching Republican voters dealing with the reality of Trump and you hear a lot of the exact same rationalizations from people who, two years ago, were blindly and arrogantly and ignorantly screaming REFORM BEFORE ELECTION.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 8, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Right now, I think everyone is waiting for the Big Event. Let's just hope things don't get too crazy once it happens.

Talking to people in my wife's village, Thaksin has as much sway as he ever had. They love him, for real. For them, personally, they're much worse off now than when he and Yingluck were in power. My father in law has lots of rubber and rice land - the price of both (but rubber in particular) is much worse than it used to be, and any outside factors beyond 'I had more money when Thaksin was in power' (whether due to market forces, unsustainable subsidies, whatever) don't seem to mean much to him. All he says is 'Thaksin/Yingluck care about us, the others don't'.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 8, 2016

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bardeh posted:

Right now, I think everyone is waiting for the Big Event. Let's just hope things don't get too crazy once it happens.

Talking to people in my wife's village, Thaksin has as much sway as he ever had. They love him, for real. For them, personally, they're much worse off now than when he and Yingluck were in power. My father in law has lots of rubber and rice land - the price of both (but rubber in particular) is much worse than it used to be, and any outside factors beyond 'I had more money when Thaksin was in power' (whether due to market forces, unsustainable subsidies, whatever) don't seem to mean much to him. All he says is 'Thaksin/Yingluck care about us, the others don't'.
I believe it, I'm just not in touch with it. I assumed when he pulled his whole "Haha everyone go home, what's important is that I get to come home." thing and some of them splintered, maybe it had an effect, but if I think about my people from Red America, yeah. I mean I get it, too, for whatever craven reasons, it wouldn't have happened without him. The economic growth in Isaan specifically, but also Lanna, is insane, and that's all down to them. I don't want to come off as anti-red shirt, I'm just more of the mind that it's clearly the nouveau riche Thai Chinese courting the rural agricultural class vs. the old guard Royal and Military Thai and Thai Chinese, with the Southern and Bangkokian Thai Chinese - and Muslims - siding with the traditionalists. Everyone says this side is more corrupt,that side is more corrupt. Looks to me like it's old style corruption vs. modern corruption. I'm all for empowering the rural poor who have been shat upon forever, but I pretty much think these new modern crony capitalist overlords are just going to be meet the new boss and have pretty much shown it. It's just that I think they're a necessary evil on the path to democracy, sort of like Chavez or Erdogan.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The wacky new president of the Philippines, notable so far for encouraging vigilante murder of drug dealers, insulting the Pope during his campaign, and stating that he wished he'd had a chance to rape a female missionary who got murdered, decided to call the US ambassador a fag and the son of a whore.

The Philippines equivalent of the secretary of state was asked to come have a chat with some officials at the embassy about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/10/philippines-leader-calls-us-ambassador-gay-son-of-a-whore-prompting-summons?CMP=twt_gu

lol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It'd be funny if he weren't killing hundreds and eventually thousands/tens of thousands of people :/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It'd be funny if he weren't killing hundreds and eventually thousands/tens of thousands of people :/

Maybe it's just nice to see that America isn't the only country that will elect a cartoon retard to run the place.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
f

raton fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 11, 2016

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Sheep-Goats posted:

The wacky new president of the Philippines, notable so far for encouraging vigilante murder of drug dealers, insulting the Pope during his campaign, and stating that he wished he'd had a chance to rape a female missionary who got murdered, decided to call the US ambassador a fag and the son of a whore.

The Philippines equivalent of the secretary of state was asked to come have a chat with some officials at the embassy about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/10/philippines-leader-calls-us-ambassador-gay-son-of-a-whore-prompting-summons?CMP=twt_gu

lol

Wasn't the PH Secretary of State-- that's Perfecto Yasay and he's too busy clowning around with the China situation. The guy they brought in was the chargé d'affaires at the PH embassay in D.C.-- essentially the acting ambassador, since Duterte hasn't appointed a new ambassador and the old one took off last month because he has major beef with Yasay. Poor dude probably just went down to State and was like "I have no goddamn idea how to explain this man."

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Also, the rest of his hits list for the past week or so off the top of my head are: saying he'll back out of the Philippines' pledge for the Paris climate accords; telling the chief justice of the supreme court not to undermine his orders in the drug war (she said that people he accused of being in the drug racket should wait until a warrant is presented before turning themselves in) or else he'll declare martial law; telling a group of soldiers a charming anecdote about being distracted during a speech because vice president Robredo's skirt was riding up; and moving the body of Ferdinand Marcos, the last dictator of the Philippines, to a place of honor in the heroes' cemetery.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

So I guess PH is gonna go full on Dictatorship. Nothing helps regional stability like a crackpot that likes to puff his chest out!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So I guess PH is gonna go full on Dictatorship again. Nothing helps regional stability like a crackpot that likes to puff his chest out!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CronoGamer posted:

Poor dude probably just went down to State and was like "I have no goddamn idea how to explain this man."

"Any explanation?"

"No, not really. He's crazy."

"Alright, well hang around here for like thirty minutes before you go so it seems like we talked about something."

"Ok."

"Wife good?"

"Oh sure! We just got back from a holiday actually."

"Philippines?"

"Hahaha!"

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
I'll probably have time to visit either north or northeast Thailand, what are people's opinions of Issan? The national parks/nature seem pretty cool to check out. Is the food pretty decent there? Or anything else I should check out?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

'Northern Thailand' is a lot different to me than Northeast Thailand obviously since most people saying Northern Thailand mean Chiang Mai or Rai while the Northeast means like legit rural areas and some smaller cities like Nan. Those are totally different experiences. Frankly, if you want to do stuff like river rafting, or exploring jungle then you can do that around Chiang Mai too along with shopping and a quieter but still energetic nightlife of the city. In all honesty I just was deadly bored in Nan and Khon Kaen

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pie Colony posted:

I'll probably have time to visit either north or northeast Thailand, what are people's opinions of Issan? The national parks/nature seem pretty cool to check out. Is the food pretty decent there? Or anything else I should check out?

I'll admit that my main experience of Isaan is travelling through there to get somewhere else....but it was just endless fields of rice. There's a reason the North is a popular place to visit, and Isaan isn't. That's not to say that there's nothing there to see, but in general the northern provinces are better equipped to deal with tourists, will have more accommodation options at a range of prices, and have plenty of awesome nature too.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 11, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Issan is a place I would suggest a quick tour of to someone who had like a month and a half just for Thailand. There's stuff to see there but for the most part it'd be like going to the US and touring Nebraska. You'll have the best chicken fried steak of your life, you'll see Carhenge, the people are nice enough, there won't be many other tourists, but then other tourists isn't the only thing missing from the place either.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 11, 2016

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

"Any explanation?"

"No, not really. He's crazy."

"Alright, well hang around here for like thirty minutes before you go so it seems like we talked about something."

"Ok."

"Wife good?"

"Oh sure! We just got back from a holiday actually."

"Philippines?"

"Hahaha!"

Sheep-Goats posted:

Issan is a place I would suggest a quick tour of to someone who had like a month and a half just for Thailand. There's stuff to see there but for the most part it'd be like going to the US and touring Nebraska. You'll have the best chicken fried steak of your life, you'll see Carhenge, the people are nice enough, there won't be many other tourists, but then other tourists isn't the only thing missing from the place either.
:lol:

Accurate on both counts.

There's stuff to do over by Khorat, which is the "Gateway to Isaan" and which is basically by the nearest Central mountains and things. As you get further Northeast, it's interesting when you're by the river at the border, but most of it is just endless agriculture peppered with little towns, yeah. I do highly suggest hanging out in a real small Thai town at least one weekend and watching what goes on, but don't get drunk with the local yokels. Normally fine, but if poo poo's going to go down, it's going to go down when you get drunk with a bunch of local Thai guys and someone misunderstands something. Just find a spot where you can watch the circus unfold.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

:lol:

Accurate on both counts.

There's stuff to do over by Khorat, which is the "Gateway to Isaan" and which is basically by the nearest Central mountains and things.

Chockchai Farms? lolololol

But yeah there's stuff to do. If anyone in this thread does go to Khorat some day I would unironically urge you to go to the food court in The Mall Khorat. It's an Issan food Valhalla.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 11, 2016

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
We don't have anyone in Hua Hin do we?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We do. She's fine.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bombs now in Phuket, Nakhon Si ThammaratSurat Thani, and more in Hua Hin. :sigh:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 12, 2016

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

This is the worst part of these kinds of things. People are "reporting" as many as 12 IEDs now from Trang to Phuket. Is it true? No one knows but every time I check online it's some place new. Posts now about Surat, Phang Nga, and Hat Yai

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Bombs now in Phuket, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and more in Hua Hin. :sigh:

Back in my day they didn't go higher than Surat. Muzzie separatists / agent provoc.s masquerading as such THESE DAYS hmpf

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Hitting resort towns like this is not the usual MO of the separatists, right? So either we have a shift in tactics or new actors on the scene? :(

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

Hitting resort towns like this is not the usual MO of the separatists, right? So either we have a shift in tactics or new actors on the scene? :(

It happens, it's just that generally people don't care for some reason. There have been a few parking lot bombings in the last 2 years at hotels/resorts and some near restaurant alleys in Phuket and Koh Samui

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I remember the parking lot bomb in Koh Samui last spring but I thought that was considered exceptional just because it was outside the normal area.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CronoGamer posted:

Up until two or three years ago that was true, there was some shift at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Interestingly there were two explosions in the Philippines today as well