Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
What's sleep?

Hi van!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Is it as glorious in person as you had hoped?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Rodent-free?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Rodent-free?

Hey now, the term is "free pets included"

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Thus far, no rodents. Plenty of spiders, but I'm used to that, and your spiders ain't got poo poo on ours :v:

Progress is slowly beginning with the stripping of the original wiring harness and crap...

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
where's the live stream?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

Thus far, no rodents. Plenty of spiders, but I'm used to that, and your spiders ain't got poo poo on ours :v:

Progress is slowly beginning with the stripping of the original wiring harness and crap...

I'm waiting for you to find a Wolf spider, then be really disappointed when it runs away crying.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

ssjonizuka posted:

where's the live stream?

Seriously, someone needs to duct tape a phone with a charger attached to a pole and Periscope this thing!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Plenty of Wolf spiders in Oz, pretty similar to Huntsman's really. I had one on the back of my neck one day, a good 10cm tip to tip bugger. I sure didn't enjoy it but I'll take that over a Blue Mountains funnel-web anyday

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

ssjonizuka posted:

where's the live stream?

este posted:

Seriously, someone needs to duct tape a phone with a charger attached to a pole and Periscope this thing!

I will try to put up some sort of livestream when we get to doing actual work on the van. It is currently way too loving hot to even consider going outside so I reckon we'll be working well into the night on this one.

slothrop posted:

Plenty of Wolf spiders in Oz, pretty similar to Huntsman's really. I had one on the back of my neck one day, a good 10cm tip to tip bugger. I sure didn't enjoy it but I'll take that over a Blue Mountains funnel-web anyday

Eyup. gently caress sydney funnel webs and blue mountains funnel webs and funnel webs in general, so glad I don't live where they exist.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

I will try to put up some sort of livestream when we get to doing actual work on the van. It is currently way too loving hot to even consider going outside so I reckon we'll be working well into the night on this one.

Eyup. gently caress sydney funnel webs and blue mountains funnel webs and funnel webs in general, so glad I don't live where they exist.

gasp, an australian thinks it's too hot?!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Humidity is like 78% @ 89F, so it feels like 102, and it's still climbing.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I am not built for humidity

I can deal with the heat but this humidity is rapidly converting me from solid to liquid

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

I am not built for humidity

I can deal with the heat but this humidity is rapidly converting me from solid to liquid

crack of your rear end like niagra falls yet? :D

fuuuuuuck humidity.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
all is become sweat

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

literally a fish posted:

all is become sweat

That stuff is delicious.

Also an Australian complaining about heat in an area of the country that isn't even close to the hottest is loving glorious.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
you don't understand man australians run on evaporative cooling IT DOESN'T WORK HERE

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Come down to florida. Its even worse. :unsmigghh:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Heat indexes are bullshit. I spent the last 5 days in Vegas and walked around a bunch in ~20% humidity and ~100* temps and it was a little warm but still pleasant. ~80% humidity and ~85* and above is loving awful miserable garbage.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Wunderground says it's 104° and 46% humidity here. I just finished doing a slip yoke eliminator in my Jeep.

Work slow, drink lots of water, liberal use of a fan. It's not that bad.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Terrible Robot posted:

78% at 89? Come on down to Florida, you'll wish it was only 89*!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's 85 and 75% humidity here and I'm in an unventilated bedroom with no insulation directly under an asphalt roof (aka it is 95-100+) blowing sawdust around and nailing fireblocking into my walls, man up and work on the van :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Was born in Florida, never want to return, thanks.

Its almost like people have different tolerances to temperature and humidity :v:. I've lived in the south for literally my entire life and I will still get heat stroke at the drop of a hat above 90F even if I've killed a gallon of water throughout the day. If the heat doesn't bother you that's loving awesome for you, now either drive over and help out or shut the gently caress up cuz I'm sick of hearing it every time temperatures get brought up.

We've got the old harness off the engine, driveshaft pulled off the rear diff, waiting for it to cool down more before start trying to get the engine/trans into/out of the van for mount measuring.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 6, 2016

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I would love to drive up for the weekend. I just can't do it right now. Bad timing with work and my Jeep not being finished at the moment.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I would love to drive up for the weekend. I just can't do it right now. Bad timing with work and my Jeep not being finished at the moment.

That's all good man, I appreciate the thought.

As it turns out right now it isn't mattering worth a drat cause it's raining like a strip joint and the air has gained a perceptible thickness which is seriously impeding our progress. We're getting there.

Gonna leave it at that before I go all sadbrains from being tired as gently caress

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've got enough work to do on my van in miserable conditions as it is. :v:

On that note however, you guys should totally be putting wood floors in that thing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At this point the interior is going to remain "as is", all effort and time is going to have to go into the drivetrain to have a snowball's chance in hell at completing this. Even when we do get the engine and trans in, Painless Performance still has our ECU hostage and we have to get a driveshaft made up. So we could do everything right and STILL get hosed in the end, which is what makes it so much fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Carb it and take the hood off.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Carb it put a 6-71 blower on and take the hood off.

Fixed your typo. :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Galler posted:

Heat indexes are bullshit. I spent the last 5 days in Vegas and walked around a bunch in ~20% humidity and ~100* temps and it was a little warm but still pleasant. ~80% humidity and ~85* and above is loving awful miserable garbage.

Story I've told here many times, but it's worth repeating again.

Dallas is humid. Not quite Houston-humid, but it's humid. I got on a plane and went to my hometown of El Paso TX, which is essentially Phoenix in terms of weather (just about 5-10F degrees cooler).

Walked out of the airport with my dad when he picked me up, commented that it was a really nice day out. He called me loving crazy. It was 105 there, but ~10% humidity. It was in the high 80s (both temp and humidity) in Dallas when I left, and nearly 20 years in Dallas has made me forget just how pleasant a dry heat is compared to humid heat.

literally a fish posted:

I just spent the last 36 hours making GBS threads liquid

gas station whataburgers: not even once

If I had known you were into making GBS threads liquid, I would have taken you to a gas station taqueria. :v:

I seriously don't know what set off your stomach though, I didn't get sick and we ordered the same thing. :confused:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 7, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

If I had known you were into making GBS threads liquid, I would have taken you to a gas station taqueria. :v:

I seriously don't know what set off your stomach though, I didn't get sick and we ordered the same thing. :confused:

In my experience, travelling abroad usually means getting sick and nearly making GBS threads your pants at least once.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
This is so true. I sharted last time I went through LAX. So unhappy

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

literally a fish posted:

you don't understand man australians run on evaporative cooling IT DOESN'T WORK HERE

This is what you should expect from someone who has lived in Melbourne for way too long, that and he did leave from our winter - August is typically 13.5c (56F) during the day. I mean, we dont get ridiculous cold weather where you get blizzards and need salt on the roads. But to go from cold to hot is probably too much for a fish.

If fish was living in QLD (well, far north QLD) or NT, then it'd be a different story since they regularly get to 35c+ at high humidity levels during their wet season.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I got something approximately close to a useful amount of sleep last night

The weather has eased off slightly, though still not great it's tolerable and significantly cooler

We've got almost everything we need bar manpower (and we'll have that next week) so literally all we have to do today is what's required to get the DS measurement (mate trans/engine, drop in, doublecheck we don't need to pull any bullshit for trans xmember, measure length of shaft, call shaft shop tomorrow and have them firmly stroke it until long and hard) - there's more stuff on the list of things to achieve but that's the only critical path item.

Things feel significantly more hopeful this morning than they did last night - who'd have known that you feel better about things when you've had some sleep than when you've been awake and half sick for 32 straight hours? :v:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think I just caught some sort of mild illness on the plane that then proceeded to gently caress me over because long haul travel always sucks major rear end.

Still gonna blame STR though. Because I Can. :v:

And yeah, holy gently caress, I do not know how you guys cope with this humidity combined with this heat, other than to do what we do and hide inside underneath air conditioners for three months plus. On the other hand at least you can step outdoors without immediately getting skin cancer?

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 7, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I work outside, in SC. July is miserable and that's just the way it is. We're over the hump now, getting better every day.

Plant lots of shade trees, and drink lots of water lovely low % ice cold beer :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Anyone have the block side of a standard gen1 SBC clamshell engine mount? These bits:

i.e. the bit that bolts to the engine. We gave our originals away when the original motor got taken and as it turns out the engine mount kit I bought did not come with the right metal clamshells (it came with something else entirely which won't work with our chassis-side mounts)

HRG fixed this issue in their build with these but I already bought the adjustable billet plate so if I can get a pair of clamshells then I'd rather go that route. Cheapest I can find 'em for on eBay is like $70 which is a bit ridiculous imo

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Let me check my scrap metal pile when I get home. I miiiiiight have some from when I put new ones in the C10 a while back.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

literally a fish posted:

Anyone have the block side of a standard gen1 SBC clamshell engine mount? These bits:

i.e. the bit that bolts to the engine. We gave our originals away when the original motor got taken and as it turns out the engine mount kit I bought did not come with the right metal clamshells (it came with something else entirely which won't work with our chassis-side mounts)

HRG fixed this issue in their build with these but I already bought the adjustable billet plate so if I can get a pair of clamshells then I'd rather go that route. Cheapest I can find 'em for on eBay is like $70 which is a bit ridiculous imo

Scrapped my last pair, sorry dude.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Ill ask if nate has any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Fart Pipe posted:

Let me check my scrap metal pile when I get home. I miiiiiight have some from when I put new ones in the C10 a while back.

Please and thankyou <3

Ozmiander posted:

Scrapped my last pair, sorry dude.

que sera sera

Adiabatic posted:

Ill ask if nate has any

Was gonna ask, thanks also :3:

• Locked thread