Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d34dm34t posted:

Finally the glorious world of CDTV games is open me!

Such as Battlestorm, and nothing else whatsoever.

how much did you pay for the A570

e:

Mercury Crusader posted:

The 3DO section of the OP is a bit light on what it can do, so I figured I'd make a few notes you could probably add, maybe.

The 3DO was somewhat popular in Japan since they seemed to get several exclusive games for the console over there, such as a Sailor Moon 2D fighting game and, oddly, TWO adventure/racing game hybrid games based on the Wacky Races franchise of all thing (I happen to own all those). It's an early CD system so you could get away with burning your own CDs or using Japanese CDs on it as there's no region locking.

There are no memory cards for the system, but does allow save games in its internal storage. The 3DO version of Gex is the only console version of the game released at the time to support save data, whereas the other ports used a password system. Save management is handled through software; you need a game (or some demo discs/sampler discs that were included with the system originally) that has the required software to do any sort of file management. One game, The Horde, is notorious for using up all storage capacity with its saves; rather than warn you that you lack adequate space or prevent you from saving, the game will instead delete any save data on the system to make room for its save. Allegedly there is a "patched" version of the game that you could get by sending in your copy of the game to the publisher, but I have no idea how many copies of those are out there or if they're that valuable.

The primary controller is a three-button layout like the Genesis, with two shoulder buttons and two middle buttons that function like pause/select. There's only one controller port on the 3DO. To play multiplayer games, 3DO controllers have a controller port attached to them so you can daisy-chain controllers into one another, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. The controllers also have a headphone jack. The connector is the same common DE9 connector found on the Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, etc., however the 3DO DE9 will fry your Genesis/2600 controller if you attempt to use it. A common issue with the 3DO controller is that it doesn't register diagonal movements well, most noticeable with fighting games. The problem is that the controller shell is "overtightened" and can be resolved by loosening the screws in the back of the controller just a little bit. There's a rare 6-button variant that was released around the time Super Street Fighter II Turbo was released, good luck finding one at a reasonable price. If you wanna know how Street Fighter plays on the standard 3DO controller, one of the six attack buttons is mapped to the middle button next to "pause".

Other cult games I'd add would be the various odd FPS titles that were released for the system: Killing Time, PO'ed, and Immercenary.

thanks I will works some of this in when I get the chance later tonight, and also add more systems (I have been super busy lately so I haven't gotten the chance)

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Somebody remembered Metroid's 30th Birthday. 12 years ago, when they started a fan remake of Metroid 2.

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com.au/

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Shouldn't fry anything, but I'd just pay the extra $5. Its a one time purchase and I'd rather have official than no name brand cables with questionable quality that may stop working down the line.

Though, I'd go for s-video if possible, though its basically going for third party at that point. Just make sure to get a set with good reviews. Particularly stick to ones with only s-video and no composite to guarantee they don't cheap out and just run composite to the s-video connector.

Agreed. OEM cables aren't that expensive, and are probably more physically robust (if nothing else) than third-party cables.

If Grizzled Patriarch has a display with S-Video, they could also try out this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131782319627

And it appears there are also some official Nintendo S-Video cables on Ebay, too, though they're not exactly cheap and some are sold from Japan (so waiting for shipping).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Agreed. OEM cables aren't that expensive, and are probably more physically robust (if nothing else) than third-party cables.

If Grizzled Patriarch has a display with S-Video, they could also try out this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-best-S-video-cable-for-Nintendo-SNES-N64-Game-Cube-Svideo-SVHS-1-8m-6ft-/131782319627

And it appears there are also some official Nintendo S-Video cables on Ebay, too, though they're not exactly cheap and some are sold from Japan (so waiting for shipping).

I have that exact cable from that seller. It is good.

Getting a Nintendo s-video cable is more pricey. I got an official Sony cable for my PSone, luckily there are a few PS3 era s-video cables still floating around CIB for reasonable prices.

vvv edit: weird, I haven't had an issue with mine. I would think the seller would replace a defective cable.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 7, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I tried this cable and I had diagonal lines all over the picture on my SNES mini.

YMMV though.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The mini needs an internal mod to support Svideo.

https://console5.com/wiki/SNES#S-Video_Output_for_SNES_2_.2F_Junior_.28SNN-CPU.29

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Ofecks posted:

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color port is also pretty great.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dishwasherlove posted:

Somebody remembered Metroid's 30th Birthday. 12 years ago, when they started a fan remake of Metroid 2.

Man I was really looking forward to this a couple years ago, I'm glad it came out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ofecks posted:

The best 2D golf game is Neo Turf Masters, by a wide margin. There are plenty of others to try, but this one is the easiest to play and the most stylish. Made by Nazca, same ex-Irem dudes who went on to do Metal Slug in '96.

Ok, I really can't wait to try this one out, wow.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

dishwasherlove posted:

Download and play this before Nintendo shits on their fans again and makes them remove it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Download this easy-to-download-and-make-copies-and-backups-of video game before Nintendo C&Ds the guy and you can never find the game again in the several thousand different outlets to upload and download these kind of things easily.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Download this easy-to-download-and-make-copies-and-backups-of video game before Nintendo C&Ds the guy and you can never find the game again in the several thousand different outlets to upload and download these kind of things easily.

Do you know how much of a pain it was for me to hunt down alien Doom the last time I looked for it?

also, it was an endorsement of the remake. Don't, uh, be so pedantic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wouldn't it be neat if Nintendo gave a poo poo about Metroid?

Oh.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh.

why do they look like lovely Gobots?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

A.o.D. posted:

Do you know how much of a pain it was for me to hunt down alien Doom the last time I looked for it?

also, it was an endorsement of the remake. Don't, uh, be so pedantic.

A lot of people make it sound like Nintendo C&D'ing the game will cause it's availability to vanish forever. Sega did the same to that Streets of Rage and I can find it easily is what I'm saying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

A lot of people make it sound like Nintendo C&D'ing the game will cause it's availability to vanish forever. Sega did the same to that Streets of Rage and I can find it easily is what I'm saying.

You've got a smash thing growing out of your title. Have you considered seeing a doctor?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

You've got a smash thing growing out of your title. Have you considered seeing a doctor?

My title is augmented.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh.

Played the demo... I rather play Rocket League, at least the physics in that game is more believable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A.o.D. posted:

why do they look like lovely Gobots?

Someone at Nintendo presumably thought whatever it originally was wouldn't sell without the Metroid Prime name slapped over it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh.

I'm glad I haven't touched Metroid since Super Metroid

e. unless you count Axiom Verge :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Code Jockey posted:

The GBA one is good. And the other GBA one that is a remake.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Download and play this before Nintendo shits on their fans again and makes them remove it.

Considering they;re not attempting to profit from it nor to compete directly with an upcoming product I doubt Nintendo is going to C&D it.

People wring their hands over C&Ds but companies rarely want to 'poo poo on fans' unless said fans are trying to turn of a profit off it or exploit something damaging.

(That said M2R is good enough I feel bad the dude can't turn of a profit on it. I'd put it above Zero Mission in terms of fun to play.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Code Jockey posted:

The Metroid Prime games are 2 and a half of the best three FPS games ever

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Really, any Metroid game that isn't Other M or Federation Force? Pretty good! Though I might be one of few that likes Prime Pinball.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they;re not attempting to profit from it nor to compete directly with an upcoming product I doubt Nintendo is going to C&D it.

People wring their hands over C&Ds but companies rarely want to 'poo poo on fans' unless said fans are trying to turn of a profit off it or exploit something damaging.

(That said M2R is good enough I feel bad the dude can't turn of a profit on it. I'd put it above Zero Mission in terms of fun to play.)

It's out in the same month as another Metroid so really all it needs is a lawyer bored enough to draft up a one page document and they have a good enough reason.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Reminder that xb360 Shadow Complex makes a great metroid too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

There's a lot of great metroidvania clones by indies as of late. A few others worth checking out are Environmental Station Alpha, Castle in the Darkness and the Momodora series (1 & 2 are pay what you want, 3 is $2 and 4 is $10 I believe)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I

As for golf games the GBA Mario Golf will always be my favorite and I wish Sports RPGs were more of a thing.

Try Mario Party Advance. Trust me.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

flyboi posted:

There's a lot of great metroidvania clones by indies as of late. A few others worth checking out are Environmental Station Alpha, Castle in the Darkness and the Momodora series (1 & 2 are pay what you want, 3 is $2 and 4 is $10 I believe)

Environment Station Alpha really is great, I especially think the sound and music are very effective.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Really, any Metroid game that isn't Other M or Federation Force? Pretty good! Though I might be one of few that likes Prime Pinball.

Nah Prime Pinball totally owns and the DS Rumble Pak is a surprisingly fun accessory.

They loving used it in Picross DS and it's actually really well done.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
So, I'm taking the plunge into Dreamcast territory. Speaking from someone who played with one for literally ten minutes at launch, is getting the DC-SD a way to go since I'm on a budget?

http://dc-sd.com/

Not interested in burning a shitload of games, wearing the laser out and all that nor can I afford a Framemeister. I figured someone on here got this and/or the PSX card reader and may have some experience?
Also, the site has VGA cables and an S-Video AV cable for sale. What's the smarter choice? My TV specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA-specs

Any thoughts?

Cliche Guevara fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 7, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I thought I heard the DC sd sucks and it's not actually worth it. The dream cast cd drive replacement with a flash drive works better. Stone age gamer should have one.

Problem is that one is a heavier investment.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The DC SD is extremely bad. Horrible compatibility, and if a game does work, it has insane load times and pop-in. Do not buy it to play games. Just buy a spindle of CD-Rs if you want a cheap way to play games.

d34dm34t
Jul 21, 2007

d0s posted:

how much did you pay for the A570

150 post-Brexit Pounds.

From an actual store rather than eBay. Which pushed up the price but allowed me to confirm it was actually working and had been competently serviced.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ineffiable posted:

I thought I heard the DC sd sucks and it's not actually worth it. The dream cast cd drive replacement with a flash drive works better. Stone age gamer should have one.

Problem is that one is a heavier investment.

Understatement of the century. Also looking at Stone Age Gamer there is drama surrounding the guy who makes those things.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah okay so just pretend there's only 3 ways to get your dream cast fix.

Burn cds.

Buy legit cds

Or just get the full blown glass drive replacement but you might not be able to find one easily. And it's kind of pricy.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Cliche Guevara posted:

So, I'm taking the plunge into Dreamcast territory. Speaking from someone who played with one for literally ten minutes at launch, is getting the DC-SD a way to go since I'm on a budget?

http://dc-sd.com/

Not interested in burning a shitload of games, wearing the laser out and all that nor can I afford a Framemeister. I figured someone on here got this and/or the PSX card reader and may have some experience?
Also, the site has VGA cables and an S-Video AV cable for sale. What's the smarter choice? My TV specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60ES6100FXZA-specs

Any thoughts?

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

azurite posted:

Get the VGA box, that way all your bases are covered.

The USB GDROM is by far the best way to go. Unfortunately, the creator is apparently tough to work with, so SAG no longer carries them. DC SD is far too slow, since it goes at like USB 1.1 speeds.

Yeah, I think I was damned lucky to grab them at SAG, especially before the price markups (I think I scored one of the original shipment preorders). Reading the drama, it's really huge and I can see why SAG is not dealing with the USB GDROM.

For the USB GDROM, I think you have to get them directly from the Mnemo dev, and he just runs a website and manages it himself. Who knows when he'll even have your order ready.

That's one thing I do like about SAG. They buy batches and can be ready to ship them, so you aren't stuck giving someone money, and then they'll ship out whenever it's ready. I think it's worth the markup that SAG has to do.

So yeah, either plan on using discs or shell out around $200 for a USB GDROM. But it's a great investment since it's an easy pull out/replace, and it's not a permanent mod. You can easily swap it between dreamcasts if you have one that fails due to something else. I have a spare just for this.

The real question is, is someone working on a solution for the Saturn? I thought I read someone cracked the Saturn bios/OS or something.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I think I'd read that the Saturn had been cracked on a gawker blog last month. Take it for what that's worth, but there's probably some truth to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah and I'm wondering if cracking it is going to pave the way for someone to do a Saturn cd replacement. I'd totally do mine too.

• Locked thread