Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

The game seems to be doing reasonably well for itself these days and I just wonder how much better they'd be doing if they'd go back and sort out some of the bullshit.

This game would be so much better if they'd just drop the inertial jumping bullshit and give the player air control like what Combat Jumping from City of Heroes did. It's just aggravating for no goddamn reason as it is right now.

Other than that though the only response I can think of is sorry your gf sucks at video games? I honestly never thought the rest of it was that bad, at least until Kaidan. I guess there are a couple annoying stealth bits, like the one with the cameras and boxes early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ali Aces posted:

This game would be so much better if they'd just drop the inertial jumping bullshit and give the player air control like what Combat Jumping from City of Heroes did. It's just aggravating for no goddamn reason as it is right now.

Other than that though the only response I can think of is sorry your gf sucks at video games? I honestly never thought the rest of it was that bad, at least until Kaidan. I guess there are a couple annoying stealth bits, like the one with the cameras and boxes early on
The two main stumbling blocks we've had so far are that loving train from issue 6 (which they should just put invisible walls around) and the mission that led her into Transylvania as a Dragon which was just offensively bad - timed stealth where guards literally appear out of thin air in front of you as you run around. But for the most part, the issues are down to jumping or precise movement, neither of which the game handles well at all.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

that loving train from issue 6

oh god that loving train, I missed that issue on the way up and went back and did it later and I hate that loving train so goddamn much. I ended up trying to fight the boss with most of my equipment broke because there's no way to repair it

what I remember is the boss having attacks that would lock you down and push you around so that if you didn't come at him from the right angle he'd send you flying off, and of course it sends you way back and breaks your poo poo

but yeah, even that wouldn't be bad at all if they just gave you some air control.

Oh and for the other are you talking about the spoopy parking garage with the little girl that warps around? Because yeah gently caress that poo poo also

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 21, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you attention whore yourself and stream being on the train for 8(?) Hours Joel will personally drop in and give you cool previews of Tokyo instead of fixing literal game breaking bugs.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I died so, so much on that train.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Fond memories of trying to finish that mission on a particular night with my buddy, dying over and over on that drat train, keeping us up much, much, much later than we intended to be. Dude was furious at how much bullshit the jumping on that train could be sometimes.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So just coming back to this after awhile away, is this new issue just one new investigation mission if I have all the sidestories already. Just trying to figure out what the hell to spend all my built up bonus points on.

poo poo, it looks like they updated all the membership bonuses since the last time I played.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2016

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Le Saboteur posted:

So just coming back to this after awhile away, is this new issue just one new investigation mission if I have all the sidestories already. Just trying to figure out what the hell to spend all my built up bonus points on.

Whatever minimal new content issue 15 has is supposed to be free to people who already bought the side stories.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Ossipago posted:

Whatever minimal new content issue 15 has is supposed to be free to people who already bought the side stories.

Ah I wondered why it was zero points, just spent some bonus points on the CE to get all the tchotchkes.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I love the game but holy poo poo the combat system is hilariously bad and always has been. I appreciate that they give the player so much freedom, but at least 40% of the powers in the game are either useless or so horribly implemented they can't be used outside of a few incredibly niche builds

Also, CoM and the stupid rear end clicky part of Hell and Bach really should have been eliminated a long time ago

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The combat system in this game is so weird that every time I come back I've almost completely forgotten how it works. No other MMO has ever really had that effect on me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Le Saboteur posted:

The combat system in this game is so weird that every time I come back I've almost completely forgotten how it works. No other MMO has ever really had that effect on me.

The trick is to just never change your build. My dungeon build hasn't changed since 2012 and I'm still 90% positive I could sign in and do most of the dungeons NM with no problems.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
All my builds are ancient. I know that my survival build is still good, I'm sure my tank build is still good even though people prefer a different setup these days. The only thing I'm not sure about is my rifle build which might have been good at some point but then I modified it for Golem hunting or something else dumb.

Game really seems to be more popular than I thought, there's a fair amount of people in the starting zone doing stuff.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
So, who else started playing again because of Stranger Things?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I feel like a lazy rear end for asking this, but I've had the same problem every single time I've tried to get into TSW: I love the setting, and wanna run around and do all the content, but my brain cannot get around the weirdass combat system. Every time I've picked this up I go online, ultimately end up being pointed to the same AR/Sword solo build, take that to near the end of the starting area, then find himself hitting a brick wall with enemies. Is there anything resembling to a dumbass guide floating around that discusses character building from the perspective of "Here is the exact matrix of skills that will let you run around soloing the campaign without too much pain"?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Omi no Kami posted:

So I feel like a lazy rear end for asking this, but I've had the same problem every single time I've tried to get into TSW: I love the setting, and wanna run around and do all the content, but my brain cannot get around the weirdass combat system. Every time I've picked this up I go online, ultimately end up being pointed to the same AR/Sword solo build, take that to near the end of the starting area, then find himself hitting a brick wall with enemies. Is there anything resembling to a dumbass guide floating around that discusses character building from the perspective of "Here is the exact matrix of skills that will let you run around soloing the campaign without too much pain"?

Toshimo posted:

Pick 2 weapons.

Pick 1 Builder (Builds 1 resource on each weapon).
If that builder wasn't an AoE, pick a second builder that is.
Pick 1 consumer for each weapon type (consumes all resources, or, if elemental consumes 2, 3, or 5 resources). Make sure they have no cooldown or cooldown <5 seconds.
Fill the other 3-4 spots with CC, movement, or offensive/defensive cooldowns.

Spend 1AP each on:
Brawler
Mind over Matter
Immortal Spirit
Lick your wounds

Spend 2 more AP in Elementalism for Elemental Force.

Grab the cheap inner wheel passives that give +10% to your 2 weapon types.

Bam. Cheap build that will do almost all the single-player stuff you need.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Thank you!! That's way simpler than I had it made out to be in my head. :)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

If only there was new content to play. I kinda envy the people who didn't "beat" the game yet.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i could see myself starting over theres so much poo poo in it youre bound to forget stuff. even feel nostalgic. "ah hidden church keypad, we meet again"

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Thank you!! That's way simpler than I had it made out to be in my head. :)

Just to add something to the mix, here's a couple more pieces of advice:

There's an option in the interface settings (Combat, Controls, "Enable ability queueing", near the bottom) for queing powers. It lets you press the button for your next attack while your current one is animating. TURN THIS ON. I don't know why it's off by default, it makes things so much easier. It's basically the only way to guarantee a smooth attack chain.

There are a lot of useful add-ons, but one in particular, Resource Relocator, is IMO very helpful for getting used to TSW's combat. Personally I find it way easier to have my resource build-up displayed in vertical bars on either side of my character.

I personally absolutely hate the standard 'number key line' way of activating attacks. Consider redefining your keys in a way that highlights having two matching pairs of them, followed by three situationals. Here's how I have mine:

W,A,S,D movement.
Q: Regular buildup power.
Shift+Q: Alternate buildup power.
E: Primary weapon consumer.
Shift+E: Secondary weapon consumer.
1,2,3: Timed cooldown or situational abilities.

I'm not saying necessarily do it the same way I did - I got used to using Q/E for attacks in other games ages ago - but arranging things as two pairs + three extras really goes a long way to making any build make intuitive sense during combat.

(I know you're asking specifically about builds, but Toshimo pretty much nailed it and if the combat system feels really hard to get into it may not just be the build that's the problem.)

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 27, 2016

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

You motherfucker.

(Me)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

After not playing for a long-rear end time I finally picked this game up again, and holy poo poo why did I ever put it down? Running around The Savage Coast in full Templar uniform and bashing evil's face in with a hammer is a blast. I remembered that the combat system was kinda obtuse, but I was able to pick it back up with no real problem.

My only complaint is that half the "side" missions get interesting completion dialogue and the other half just gets the canned response, even stuff that I feel like my Templar boss guy would have an opinion on. I mean, cmon man, you have something special to say when I find some dude's treasure chest but not when I track down the monster hunter club's ~secret weapons~?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Booblord Zagats posted:

Haha, yeah. They should do some kind of marketing push, that hints at this.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Booblord Zagats posted:

hah! Yes! I came to mention the show in the thread. It has a REALLY strong "League of Monster Slayers" vibe.

Especially the scene where they buy the bear traps, gas, and ammo and the clerk asks them what they are doing and Nancy says "Monster hunting".

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 27, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Is there any sort of convenient bundle option to buy the game's issues? If not, are any of them in particular must-buys?

Just got to Blue Mountain but I found an interesting-sounding mission that was behind a paywall and it kinda annoyed me.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There's the ultimate edition that goes on sale frequently and gives you most of them. That said you shouldn't be doing those missions while you're there leveling, they're meant for someone in QL10 gear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been playing solo on and off for a while and eventually reached Transylvania, but I really want to do the Dungeons. I still feel like a complete newb with MMOs. I'm still using a basic Blade/Shotgun build someone in this thread suggested me waaaay back, although I'm slowly working on more advanced builds I saw online.

So what I'm asking is how do I dungeons? :downs:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They're selling aux weapon skins in the cash shop now making my stockpile of sovtech completely worthless :negative: not that I'm ever going to play the AH again.

And not sure why they're bothering now it isn't like there's gonna be more aux weapons.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

So what I'm asking is how do I dungeons? :downs:

If you're in Transylvania you're probably in QL9/10 green gear, which means build aside you're probably able to hang in all the normal dungeons (the earliest one, Polaris, is designed around QL3 gear). You probably want at least all QL10 green gear and a role-specific (DPS or Healer) build before starting elites.

Just go into Menu, Group finder, select DPS for your preferred role and all the Normal dungeons, and sign up. Be patient and go about your business as the normal dungeons can take some time to get into. It'll eventually pop up saying a group has been found, join in and pop up in team chat right away with something like "I'm new at this" and you'll probably get a response like "np dawg just follow us". Often you'll get the same dungeon many times in a row, which is likely due to dailies (which I've never really got into), just roll with it and the next day's favored dungeon will be different.

In any dungeon, the Tank is the de facto leader. Target the tank, follow the tank, listen to the tank, don't run ahead of the tank. Many tanks are surprisingly open to explaining how everything works along the way if they know you need it.

TSWDB has a great detailed explanation of what's happening at each step for most dungeons right here. They also have a bunch of builds right here, many of them might be pretty basic or outdated but they're a good starting point. In particular, a recent update added vulnerabilities to certain damage types to certain elite attacks, but I don't know if anyone's really made any builds that try to take advantage of that much.

When you start doing elites (and possibly Hell Fallen?) your build is going to matter more, you want a decent DPS build and blade probably isn't the best choice; Pistol/Shotgun is a common standard. Not that you can't do DPS with blade, but you definitely want to stay at range until you've gotten familiar. The first few normal dungeons won't matter so much though since you've already outlevelled them, but eventually you want to do something that has some challenge to it, right?

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 31, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I finished Solomon Island, and goddammit, I only JUST realized that NPCs actually have multiple lines for each topic of conversation. I even noticed that the checkmarks didn't always appear but I didn't think anything of it! :argh:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Seriously, it's worth going back and talking to each and every one of them. Some of their additional dialog is amazing stuff that really fleshes out the lore and each individual character.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Brave New World posted:

Seriously, it's worth going back and talking to each and every one of them. Some of their additional dialog is amazing stuff that really fleshes out the lore and each individual character.

I've spent the past, like, hour just listening to everyone in London. I've been missing out on so much.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Out of curiosity, are there any more goon runs for dungeons these days? I kind of miss those old days...

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

They're selling aux weapon skins in the cash shop now making my stockpile of sovtech completely worthless :negative: not that I'm ever going to play the AH again.

aaaw, I had at least a couple laying around :(

OTOH I haven't played since the last story update and none of singing goon squad wants to grind AEGIS for dungeons.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

After a while away and since the game is updating again I have decided to play once more, is there are Goon presence or any kind of guild I can join?

In as Sardikar.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

alfheimwanderer posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any more goon runs for dungeons these days? I kind of miss those old days...
Don't we all...

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

dmboogie posted:

Is there any sort of convenient bundle option to buy the game's issues? If not, are any of them in particular must-buys?

Just got to Blue Mountain but I found an interesting-sounding mission that was behind a paywall and it kinda annoyed me.

Paywall missions in Solomon Island are from Tyler Freeborn which you could (and should have) bought with bonus Funcom bucks which they give new players for free. In any case Freeborn, Last train to Cairo and Dream to kill worth every cent.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Tyler Freeborn's quests and The Sound of Children/I Walk Into Empty are incredible.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Ultimate edition (includes the above mentioned issues) on sale for $20 for today/tomorrow: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/the-secret-world-ultimate-edition

I don't think they give new accounts the free points anymore, but the issues you'd want to buy are included in the bundle anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

oh my god I am so loving sick of attempting Cost of Magic

edit: loving done

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 22, 2016

• Locked thread