Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Does Bojack Horseman get better than the first episode? I watched it and didn't laugh once, but I've heard people rave about the show, so I'm wondering if that's just pilot episode mushiness or if I'm an rear end in a top hat with impossibly high standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I've only seen the first season, but I'd say 3-4 episodes in it gets much better.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The first 3 or 4 episodes are a dumb somewhat funny cartoon. After that they get a lot better.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Does Bojack Horseman get better than the first episode? I watched it and didn't laugh once, but I've heard people rave about the show, so I'm wondering if that's just pilot episode mushiness or if I'm an rear end in a top hat with impossibly high standards.

Yeah it's good. It's not a traditional animated sitcom. The lions' share of the (black-as-gently caress) humor comes from how miserable, self-defeating, and desperate the characters are. There are a ton of sight gags and running jokes too, but these take a while to get established. I'd say give it another episode and see if it grabs you, it's definitely not for everyone.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Watch up through Margot Martindale's first appearance (ep 4 I think?). That's when it begins to turn. If you're still not into it then it's ok you can just not like stuff.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Each season of Bojack starts out dumb sitcom stuff and then builds up the humor and then gets dark. Like grab a miners helmet cause it gets dark as gently caress. Then the season ends on a jesus christ note and the next one repeats the cycle, which honestly is meta as hell considering the series.

Also the animal jokes are always gonna be dumb, but hell in the second episode they have Neal McBeal the Navy Seal. It's just so dumb ya have to laugh.

edit: holy poo poo while trying to find Neal McBeal I stumbled upon the genius that is Vincent Adultman again. God bless his adult business venture loving soul.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2016

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Season one of Bojack was famous for making a poor first impression with a lot of people (including critics, because Netflix only sent the first six episodes for review). They're worth watching to establish the show and the characters, but yeah, you're definitely just kinda getting through them to get to the turn later on.

It was enough of a shift that it made Indiewire change policy to only review Netflix shows after seeing the full season.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Erebus posted:

Season one of Bojack was famous for making a poor first impression with a lot of people (including critics, because Netflix only sent the first six episodes for review).
Haha! I just went to look for The AV Club's middling (I think it was a C+?) review of the first season based on those first 6 episodes and it seems like they've removed it entirely.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched the first 15 minutes of Bojack and really didn't like it.

Same with Bobs Burgers. I hate that show and don't understand how people like it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I'm a fan of Bojack, and thanks to the the glory of Netflix and the explosion of quality TV it can live thanks to a small, devoted core of fans. As someone living in LA I think it got by for a bit with me in the first season just based on some of the extremely specific LA jokes.

For me the first good episode is what people said above, when Todd develops his rock opera and Bojack hires "character actress Margot Martindale." (Episode 4) But why I really like it is that in some ways it's much more grounded and focused on character change than wacky shows like Kimmy Schmidt, which make me laugh out loud but feel very same-y for the whole run.

Especially by season 2, Bojack, Diane and princess Carolyn are making legitimate changes to themselves which is unusual in an animated show. I'd say don't go in with a stopwatch, timing the distance between laughs. Is will arnett being a talking horse with Jesse pinkman living in his house inherently funny? Then give it a shot.

(I must really like Bojack)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really have a troubled relationship with the Bojack Horseman show, because it's witty and funny and understated by virtue of being completely over the top. Every season makes me feel like a terrible person because I see so much of Bojack and Diane and Princess Caroline and Todd in myself, and I can't look away.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

Haha! I just went to look for The AV Club's middling (I think it was a C+?) review of the first season based on those first 6 episodes and it seems like they've removed it entirely.

The pitchfork method huh

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched the first 15 minutes of Bojack and really didn't like it.

Same with Bobs Burgers. I hate that show and don't understand how people like it.

Some people like slower, character-based comedy.

Bob's Burgers has a lot of the King of the Hill writers, so I'm not surprised I love it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
King of the Hill is just about my favorite show ever and I can't seem to get into Bob's Burgers. Is there some episode I should watch? I've tried to watch a few of them and it just isn't working out. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

coyo7e posted:

I really have a troubled relationship with the Bojack Horseman show, because it's witty and funny and understated by virtue of being completely over the top. Every season makes me feel like a terrible person because I see so much of Bojack and Diane and Princess Caroline and Todd in myself, and I can't look away.

Yeah, same here. That's basically what the show is about really.

neonnoodle posted:

King of the Hill is just about my favorite show ever and I can't seem to get into Bob's Burgers. Is there some episode I should watch? I've tried to watch a few of them and it just isn't working out. :(

You should watch all of them. I don't know, I really can't understand why people don't like Bob's Burgers.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I find most of the voices in Bob's Burgers to be so grating and awful that I can scarcely get through an episode. No idea if it's actually funny or not.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bob's Burgers suffers from a lack of interesting characters, and it rarely knows what to do with the ones it has.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's already been covered in posts above me, but really the first 3-4 episodes of the first season really exist to set up where the characters are in life and it doesn't really get good until after that when they start taking deeper dives into the pathology of the characters. Bojack's character especially is a lot better when they finish establishing that he's a lovely person and start taking deep dives into the how and why.

If you want a timeframe for when it gets good, if you can make it past episode 6 or 7 and still aren't feeling it, it's probably safe to put it down.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

It's already been covered in posts above me, but really the first 3-4 episodes of the first season really exist to set up where the characters are in life and it doesn't really get good until after that when they start taking deeper dives into the pathology of the characters. Bojack's character especially is a lot better when they finish establishing that he's a lovely person and start taking deep dives into the how and why.

If you want a timeframe for when it gets good, if you can make it past episode 6 or 7 and still aren't feeling it, it's probably safe to put it down.

I was sold by the end of the 4th episode, but looking through a list, episodes 7 and 8 really start going down dark corners and the show starts growing into what it is.

Bojack Season 1 is Good, and shows it has the potential to be Great. Bojack Season 2 hits that potential, and by the end, it became my favorite animated show, and one of the best things Netflix has ever done.

The thing is, the whole first season is a little over 4 hours long, but less than half of that is developing. I know it's an investment of time, but I think it's totally worth it.

I still haven't watched Season 3, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's rarely hilarious but it becomes compelling just by exploring its premise.
After a while the stupid animal jokes become sort of ingratiating too- I like it when a comedy can blend smart material and incredibly dumb material.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's rarely hilarious but it becomes compelling just by exploring its premise.
After a while the stupid animal jokes become sort of ingratiating too- I like it when a comedy can blend smart material and incredibly dumb material.

I agree that Bojack isn't a-laugh-a-minute type comedy, but Season 2's episode "Chickens" felt like writers saying, "Okay, let's just be a straight comedy one time," and it's hilarious. I've had friends that gave up on the show watch it and love it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

neonnoodle posted:

watch the burgerboss episode. season 2 episode 4

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Season 3 of Bojack doesn't feel like it has as cohesive a storyline as the previous seasons, but episodes like "Fish out of Water" just knock it out of the park. Like, it's not the most outrageous comedy or anything, but it's just solid, smart storytelling. The show is very dark, but the absurdist comic relief keeps things rolling.

It is one of those shows you have to watch from the beginning to really appreciate though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Over the weekend I saw the Amazon Prime show Red Oaks in my twitter feed. What is the consensus on this show? The description sounds right up my alley.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

watch the burgerboss episode. season 2 episode 4

Agreed, one of the funniest TV episodes I've ever seen.

Also, Bojack Horseman is amazing, and if you like its brand of pitch-black humor and genuinely interesting characters with soul-crushing emotional problems, the Adult Swim show Moral Orel is streaming on Hulu and is almost as good (especially the last 2 seasons).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

nate fisher posted:

Over the weekend I saw the Amazon Prime show Red Oaks in my twitter feed. What is the consensus on this show? The description sounds right up my alley.

I watched most of it, and it's not bad. A bit like Caddyshack played more straight.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No that my 13 yr old is making short films, I've lowered my expectations with films, and/or raised my appreciation for what exists.

That said, Convergence is a turd. Should've invested some more money in an audio engineer; if you can't hear what people are saying 40% of the time, the movie is unwatchable. And it seemed to happen only with scenes with certain characters in them. "Hey, this guy doesn't talk very loud, so, turn the volume way down."

Shame. It gets a B for effort, as far as lo-budget movies go.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Naked Prey is up on netflix. If you haven't seen it, you should watch it. It's got the most magically and inexplicably badass white dude ever, taking on the entire dark continent of Africa in hand to hand combat. Also it's a pretty good movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone watch blackout? Any good?

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

coyo7e posted:

The Naked Prey is up on netflix. If you haven't seen it, you should watch it. It's got the most magically and inexplicably badass white dude ever, taking on the entire dark continent of Africa in hand to hand combat. Also it's a pretty good movie.

I was worried its worldview would be a little dated, but its a really great movie. Its beautifully shot and the acting is great for both the white dude and the pursuers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Saw Marco Polo is still apparently being made for Netflix. Is it any good?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Doctor Butts posted:

It's historically accurate on only the most basic details, but for my money it's got the best production design of any show currently running.

Also Joan Chen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChineseConnection posted:

I was worried its worldview would be a little dated, but its a really great movie. Its beautifully shot and the acting is great for both the white dude and the pursuers.
I really love that it's literally a movie about an entitled white guy from a prosperous and largely idle background, who literally outruns an entire tribe of bush people and then outfights them with their own weapons. It's the most amazing example of manifest destiny ever. And it's a really good movie - kinda like Jeremiah Johnson except with a naked dude and lots more spears.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor Butts posted:

Surprisingly, yeah. It's far from great but it's super watchable for all the neat sets and (often questionable) history asides.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

gently caress yeah. Cornel Wilde kills it in that movie.

coyo7e posted:

kinda like Jeremiah Johnson

that's because they're both based on the same historical incident.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Wait, Naked Prey was based on Liver-Eatin' Johnson? Okay mind blown

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Franchescanado posted:

I agree that Bojack isn't a-laugh-a-minute type comedy, but Season 2's episode "Chickens" felt like writers saying, "Okay, let's just be a straight comedy one time," and it's hilarious. I've had friends that gave up on the show watch it and love it.

A straight comedy episode maybe but built on a very disturbing premise of how meat-consumption works in a world of anthropomorphic animals.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I just realized Prime has those 4 made for TV Robocop movies from the early 2000's.

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

enigmahfc posted:

I just realized Prime has those 4 made for TV Robocop movies from the early 2000's.

I have a feeling I'm going to regret this...
I can't imagine why you would think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The Robocop suit is way too big for the actor playing him and doesn't fit him well, and they can't even using the music from the movies. And Bone Machine looks like a bad knock-off of a fan-made Mortal Kombat character. And they make one guy look older by giving him a really fake mustache and gray eyebrows.

I barely made it through the first one, but feel compelled to watch the other three. What is wrong with me?