Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sakurazuka posted:

£30 lol takes some brass balls to try and get away with a straight dollars=pounds price tag too.
Brexit. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

No it sounds like I'd need to be subject to an intervention if I did buy it. :ohdear:

Also I've bought fire emblem, soul silver (ouch) black and white 2, kirby super star ultra and kirby robobot in like the last week so I probably should stop for a bit.

Well its basically my "oh poo poo I have 20 minutes to kill" game, poo poo adds up over 5 years.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Well its basically my "oh poo poo I have 20 minutes to kill" game, poo poo adds up over 5 years.

Sounds like a niche I need to fill, so I might get it in a month or two.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Don't forget Monster Hunter. As a newcomer, either 4U or Generations (the new one) would be fine, but if it's not a big price difference, might as well go with the new one.

It's the "oh poo poo I have (a minimum of) 20 minutes to kill" game. You will also never complete it, ever.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've never been sure about monster hunter. I don't know much about it other than its a loot driven short round battle game that's pretty grindy. None of that appeals to me. If I've been misinformed, feel free to correct me.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People always use the word grinding but smashing a dinosaur's face in with a giant hammer doesn't really feel grindy or repetitive at all. It's always pretty engaging

It's not like mindlessly grinding random encounters in a jrpg

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A fair point. On the other hand I'm not generally motivated by loot rewards to play a game. At least not since vanilla WOW 12 years ago.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Carth Dookie posted:

I've never been sure about monster hunter. I don't know much about it other than its a loot driven short round battle game that's pretty grindy. None of that appeals to me. If I've been misinformed, feel free to correct me.

One thing I never see anyone mention about Monster Hunter when they try to sell it to people is it is charming as gently caress. There's a race of cat people who speak entirely in cat puns, which you can recruit to bring on hunts with you in 4U and Generations and even are playable in Generations. Yes, you can beat up giant monsters as a cat.

The NPCs are charming and funny too, and the quest descriptions often make me smile, or outright laugh.

I don't know why no one ever mentions the humor in the game, and I wish people would more often. :( I've I'd known how charming and funny the game is, I would have picked it up a lot sooner!

However, if you're not particularly loot-motivated, sadly it's probably not the game for you. That's basically... the entire game. You kill monsters so you can carve up their bits and make a hat out of them, so you can kill even bigger and meaner monsters and make a new hat out of them so you can... and so on.

It's really fun and satisfying, especially if you play with friends, but I'm a very loot motivated sort of person. I just looooove collecting shinies.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

MHG is the least grindiest monster if its grindy at all. The quests ramp up to the first big monster in like an hour and a half instead of 5 hours like some previous installments. And for almost all armors they can be built with more basic materials and every quest has set rewards for main/sub objective that can be referenced.

The endgame is grindy on the surface but its actually like a series of Smash Bros "event match" type escalations that also give you set, designed rewards to give you a power curve.

The only thing I could see being more inviting is if we get Stories

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

One thing I never see anyone mention about Monster Hunter when they try to sell it to people is it is charming as gently caress. There's a race of cat people who speak entirely in cat puns, which you can recruit to bring on hunts with you in 4U and Generations and even are playable in Generations. Yes, you can beat up giant monsters as a cat.

OK now that I am down with.

quote:

The NPCs are charming and funny too, and the quest descriptions often make me smile, or outright laugh.

I don't know why no one ever mentions the humor in the game, and I wish people would more often. :( I've I'd known how charming and funny the game is, I would have picked it up a lot sooner!

However, if you're not particularly loot-motivated, sadly it's probably not the game for you. That's basically... the entire game. You kill monsters so you can carve up their bits and make a hat out of them, so you can kill even bigger and meaner monsters and make a new hat out of them so you can... and so on.

It's really fun and satisfying, especially if you play with friends, but I'm a very loot motivated sort of person. I just looooove collecting shinies.

Yeah that's the problem. Don't give much of a poo poo about loot.

zolthorg posted:

MHG is the least grindiest monster if its grindy at all. The quests ramp up to the first big monster in like an hour and a half instead of 5 hours like some previous installments. And for almost all armors they can be built with more basic materials and every quest has set rewards for main/sub objective that can be referenced.

The endgame is grindy on the surface but its actually like a series of Smash Bros "event match" type escalations that also give you set, designed rewards to give you a power curve.

The only thing I could see being more inviting is if we get Stories

Both interesting points and maybe I'll look up some generations videos and see what's what.

Is multiplayer basically required to get through the game? I don't have any friends with 3ds

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver Falcon posted:

It has a charming script, but I play them to punch poo poo in the face, or the shell, or the tail, or--well, you get the idea. I appreciate the work that goes into the localization, but I feel like it's wasted on players like me. My approach to them is kinda like my approach to Baldur's Gate-type games: I start out reading every sentence, and then after a few hours, I'm skipping reams of text like okay let me go get more powerful already

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Carth Dookie posted:

Is multiplayer basically required to get through the game? I don't have any friends with 3ds

You don't need friends, you have goons. Or online randos. Either or.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I played MH3/4U for 100+ hours each and it was almost entirely solo

Maybe I'm missing out idk but you can definitely play them alone if you like

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I played MH3/4U for 100+ hours each and it was almost entirely solo

Maybe I'm missing out idk but you can definitely play them alone if you like

I played each for 200-300 hours and it was awesome. I played almost entirely grouped with goons. One thing I would note is that if you play, get in on the generation early or you will have trouble getting up to G rank as you will be struggling to find groups - it really isn't the same if you get goons to carry you through. Having said that, I'm sitting out Generations because I feel like I just finished the last one and have too much in my backlog to start over a 200+ hour commit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Carth Dookie posted:

You're pretty spot on, except it's not super grindy. Only in a handful of scenarios, which aren't at all necessary. In the new game, there's a small group of monsters-turned-crazy (Deviants) that scale 10 levels, and if you want one of their armor sets fully leveled up, you're pretty much in it a minimum of 21 times (each kill will level two out of five armor pieces, higher level kills drop lower level upgrade tickets, more math; it's probably more like 30+ kills.)

This isn't a necessity, though; there are dozens of endgame-ish armor sets which are comparably good depending on your tastes, and will usually only require 3-5 kills to complete. It's not like an MMO where you absolutely need X armor or Y skill rating to "raid," you just need to git gud. Or git Gus, as my phone suggests. It's really quite like Dark Souls, here.

In the end, though, yea, it's largely loot-driven when you're not fighting monsters, but fun and rewarding as poo poo if it gets its hooks into you. The part where you fight monsters is super good, and thankfully makes up at least 80% of the time spent playing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter Generations has a thriving goon community right now. My understanding is that the online for older games is basically dead cause fans always move to the new ones.

It's my first monster hunter, but im having a blast, both playing solo and with goons.

Edit: it's also my first 3ds game. I just got a 3ds like 2 weeks ago.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I know DQVII is slated for 9/16release, but do we have a date for DQVIII stateside release?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Monster Hunter Generations has a thriving goon community right now. My understanding is that the online for older games is basically dead cause fans always move to the new ones.

It's my first monster hunter, but im having a blast, both playing solo and with goons.

Edit: it's also my first 3ds game. I just got a 3ds like 2 weeks ago.

I like being the cat. I've noticed I'm the only one who plays as the cat, though. I've never encountered another Prowler in multi-player unless we've done Prowler missions.

I just beat the single play last night. Killed every monster as a cat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Carth Dookie posted:

A fair point. On the other hand I'm not generally motivated by loot rewards to play a game. At least not since vanilla WOW 12 years ago.

The main thing to keep in mind about loot in Monster Hunter is, Relics from 4U notwithstanding, we're not talking about like randomized affixes for most things. The only thing in the main game with randomized affixes is Charms, and you'll find so many of those that you're pretty much guaranteed to have at least one or more that you like. There's also a system for re-rolling them. The loot you're getting from monsters is their actual body parts, which you hand over to the blacksmith to make specific pieces of equipment with known stats. So, if you see a set with Skills on it that you like in the menu, or on Kiranico, you just make it.
I'd say that unless you're severely unlucky, you can make most sets by fighting the main monster for it about 6 times, plus whatever you need from other monsters or ores.

"Short-round battle" doesn't really do the game justice. Once you're out of the tutorial range of quests, you're looking at essentially a boss rush game. Every "large monster", that is, most of the main mission targets, is a pretty specific and involved boss encounter, and much of the game is based on learning their tells and behaviors so that you can maximize your hitting the monster/not getting hit by the monster ratio. Monsters have different hitboxes for every one of their body parts, and those parts have different levels of armor and varying elemental resistances. They're pretty much all breakable, too, which reduces their defense and gives you bonus loot after the quest. You get 2-4 random material drops from the monster, depending on how big it was, whether you captured or killed, and so on, plus usually like another 10-ish materials from that monster as quest rewards, including bonuses for breaking body parts or completing subquests.

By the time you get to endgame, even if you've kept up with the equipment arms race, you're still looking at encounters where you can sustain maybe 4 good hits without dying unless you heal, so the game heavily encourages player skill growth. Your armor mostly determines what special skills you have active, which ranges from obvious stuff like buffed attack, defense, or critical hit rate, to support stuff like the ability to not get flinched by monster roars, or the ability to detect when a monster is weak enough to be captured.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Silver Falcon posted:

I like being the cat. I've noticed I'm the only one who plays as the cat, though. I've never encountered another Prowler in multi-player unless we've done Prowler missions.

I just beat the single play last night. Killed every monster as a cat.

Was it difficult? I want to purely (purrly:3:) play as a cat when I grab Generations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Carth Dookie posted:

In the main Monster Hunter thread, we have a Discord where you will find infinite goons who would love to help you kill anything you want. The online multiplayer is very well-tuned, and works just as well as local in almost all regards.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Emron posted:

I know DQVII is slated for 9/16release, but do we have a date for DQVIII stateside release?

Not yet. I know they originally said it would be in 2016 as well... but I doubt that. I'd assume some time next spring, but who knows, maybe we will get it by xmas.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was it difficult? I want to purely (purrly:3:) play as a cat when I grab Generations.

Welll, I'm not terribly good at being a regular ol' human Hunter to begin with, so keep that in mind but... it wasn't too bad!

Only monster I've had trouble with so far is the Nibelsnarf, and that was because I was an idiot who didn't realize cat weapons have a sharpness rating, (Hint: they do. Go for green sharpness, minimum) so my weapon kept bouncing off his hide until I nearly ran out of time. Got him at the last minute! I even hold my own fine in multiplayer, though the folks I play with are generally pretty chill.

Another tip: pay attention to your cats' skills and abilities. There's a wide variety of them and some are better than others. You especially will want Piercing Boomerangs and Big Boomerangs, which lets you chuck projectiles at monsters' faces from a safe(er) distance. For passive skills, Earplugs is a must-have (it cancels flinching when monsters roar, turning it into free hit time!). You also will want Boomerang Pro, which makes your boomerangs hurt more. Beyond that, what skills you want will be up to your personal preference!

You'll eventually be able to hire up to 60 cats, so definitely hire a bunch with a wide variety of abilities so you'll be ready for anything! And happy Prowling.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

OK now that I am down with.

Yeah that's the problem. Don't give much of a poo poo about loot.

Both interesting points and maybe I'll look up some generations videos and see what's what.

Try the demo on the eShop. It'll give a taste of what it's like to fight three different monsters of varying difficulty with all the weapons and styles the game has to offer.

The combat in these games is really unlike anything else. It gets compared to Souls games a lot but other than being demanding action games the two series don't have very much in common at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I liken Monster Hunter to Dark Souls specifically for its boss fights -- it's just you and your pet cats against some huge fuckoff thing to a badass soundtrack for what sometimes comes right down to the wire (so long as you don't overpower it.) The combat is pretty similar, too, when it comes to timing and commitment. I'd quickly recommend it to anyone who likes Souls games, especially if they like the bosses.

The only potentially negative difference is the monsters not having a discrete health bar. That was always an adrenaline rush for me in Souls games, to get a boss to a sliver of health only to gently caress up and blow it. Monster Hunter bosses only really have one tell that they're low on health, when they start limping or sleeping. Until then, it's like "I might be at full health or 15%, who knows!" Of course, if you notice you've taken out chunks of flesh and broken bones and scales and whatnot, that's sort of telling as well, but still no health bar.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

Try the demo on the eShop. It'll give a taste of what it's like to fight three different monsters of varying difficulty with all the weapons and styles the game has to offer.

Huh didn't know there was a demo. Might check it out.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dunno where else is a good place to ask this, but any of you guys have Story of Seasons and want to help out a guy who screwed himself?

Forgot to save 5 turnip seeds and now can't make my seed maker.

I only actually need 3 turnip seeds to get it.

PM me or drop a message here.

FC: 2964-8756-1815

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Metroid Prime: Federation Force will be released in two weeks. It will probably suck. Maybe it will be decent. Who knows?

One thing is for sure: The Metroid 2 Remake released today and it's good!

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy birthday Metroid! :toot:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There isn't any kind of option to like...merge 3DS accounts or something is there? Due to...unfortunate circumstances...I have a 3DS now that belonged to someone else. I was considering just wiping the data and putting mine on, but that is kind of sad and also they have money in their store account that was donated to them by friends so I don't want it wasted.

I know I can change the Mii and display name, but I imagine that's it?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Stink Terios posted:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force will be released in two weeks. It will probably suck. Maybe it will be decent. Who knows?

One thing is for sure: The Metroid 2 Remake released today and it's good!

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy birthday Metroid! :toot:

Hmm I was hoping this would be an actual rom. playing some windows .exe ruins a lot of the charm

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The monster maw challenges in Rhythm Heaven are the worst thing.:bang:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's a monster maw challenge

Does this happen very late in the game, cause i just got to the heaven part

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HenryEx posted:

What's a monster maw challenge

Does this happen very late in the game, cause i just got to the heaven part

It's in the challenge train. I think you can unlock some then.

The gimmick is that while playing a game, the screen slowly shrinks until a giant monster eats the game and you lose. The only way you can slow that down is by getting perfectly timed aced hits in said game. You win by finishing the game before the monster gets it.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 7, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, i haven't looked at the train part much yet, aside from the occasional Perfect Challenge whenever they notify me about that.

I'll have to try that soon to experience it for myself..

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I used to think I was good at Rhythm Heaven but then I reached the Paprika train stages and that's where I had to call it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Light Gun Man posted:

There isn't any kind of option to like...merge 3DS accounts or something is there? Due to...unfortunate circumstances...I have a 3DS now that belonged to someone else. I was considering just wiping the data and putting mine on, but that is kind of sad and also they have money in their store account that was donated to them by friends so I don't want it wasted.

I think if you do a system transfer in some manner it can merge the software licenses. Jivjov would know more on the specifics, or call Nintendo.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Light Gun Man posted:

You can try calling Nintendo, but I'm not sure account merges are possible with different eshop ids.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You can't merge two existing accounts, period. You can merge licenses with an existing account if those licenses don't belong to any account (e.g. old pre-NNID systems or systems with pre-installed games).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo will do it for you if you call them but I don't think you can do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's actually relevant to me right now. Was gonna get a second 3ds but if I understand correctly any games I buy for the system are on a separate account?