Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aaod
May 29, 2004
That fight was super RNG from what I remember Starmie would either be a joke or just decide no gently caress you especially if Misty used a potion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's the best pokestop/gym map I can use on iOS? I'm going to a rural area and I'm hoping to take over some gyms.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snowy posted:

What's the best pokestop/gym map I can use on iOS? I'm going to a rural area and I'm hoping to take over some gyms.

The Pokemon Go app.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Snowy posted:

Go Radar, but its gym map is spotty since the recent update. That said, it's the only app I've found that works at all, with the exception of using the desktop map and loading it on your phone.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

"Ooh, a site that lists IVs, I wonder if I have anything goo..."

Oh. Well. At least I know not to bother evolving this one :v

Is there a good list of the best offensive movesets? Ideally one that factors in type meta and energy use/generation instead of just going "x move does the most damage so grab that I guess"?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The reverse engineering nerds broke the secret code and released it into the wild. Prepare for maps to come back online again!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Despite the IV score, isn't the first one better simply based on the moves?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weeeaka

E: LOL at the stealth edit. I thought you were posting that you got two pikas w/ matching stats.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cartouche posted:

Move set is randomized on evolve, good luck

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ilifinicus posted:

The reverse engineering nerds broke the secret code and released it into the wild. Prepare for maps to come back online again!

Ah, just in time. Upgrading to N fixed my Nexus 6 GPS/data bug.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ilifinicus posted:

Is this different than the map that was a page or three back?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Is this different than the map that was a page or three back?

Hopefully this means scanners like Live Desktop are coming back, which collectively make this game worth playing

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Cartouche posted:

You are presumably going to evolve whatever you pick at some point, so their unevolved moves do not matter.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Northjayhawk posted:

You are presumably going to evolve whatever you pick at some point, so their unevolved moves do not matter.

But both CP and IV affect the evolved form, right?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Snowy posted:

But both CP and IV affect the evolved form, right?

IV does, CP is just an aggregate of IV and level so yes sorta?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Bill Barber posted:

Are these listed in any particular order (ie best to worst top to bottom, with your particular movesets highlighted) or is it just a regular list showing all possible moves and the moves yours has?

I haven't began to get into the movelist meta game so I don't know convert the information given into determining which is actually best.

Basically the latter, but it's still helpful info as it shows damage, energy generation, crit chance, etc. It for some reason doesn't show attack speed, but I'm betting they'll update it in the future to do so.
The moves seem to be listed in alphabetical order for category > move name.

You usually want a moves that match your pokemon to gain +25% damage from a same type attack bonus (STAB). Pokemon and moves that match up well (or at least aren't weak) against Dragon, Water, and Flying are pretty good right now.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dahbadu posted:

Basically the latter, but it's still helpful info as it shows damage, energy generation, crit chance, etc. It for some reason doesn't show attack speed, but I'm betting they'll update it in the future to do so.
The moves seem to be listed in alphabetical order for category > move name.

You usually want a moves that match your pokemon to gain +25% damage from a same type attack bonus (STAB). Pokemon and moves that match up well (or at least aren't weak) against Dragon, Water, and Flying are pretty good right now.
I've just been doing a very rudimentary comparison to http://heavy.com/games/2016/07/pokemon-go-move-guide-tier-list-best-moves-each-type-species-ranking-dps-damage-per-second/ right now to decide which pokemon is better between 2 closely matched ones.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I work in Belfast which is Drowzee-central since the recent spawn switch, but I've been in NYC since yesterday. Today we did a walk taking in Madison Square gardens, the Empire State then north to Times Square and on to Central Park. It's been quite odd. Back in NI people are kinda standoffish when grouping round pokestops and most folk try to act like they're not playing the game.

In NYC it's the complete opposite. Had so many people come up to our group and just start random conversations about pokemons. We ended up following a bunch of dudes into some really cheesy Irish theme bar and getting free shots of Jamesons (the worst whiskey, but hell it's free).

Central Park is loving insane. Got as far as the Art Museum before running out of pokeballs. Even with stops absolutely everywhere I ran out due to the sheer number of mons to catch.

edit: My company's foreign health insurance will cover me for any pokemon-related injuries.

In my experience, it's pretty mainstream and accepted here. Most business also seem to like it and the extra business that it brings in. There are even restaurants that are actively trying to court Pokemon players too -- e.g. if you're on a specific team, you get a free pizza or and stuff like that.

Glad you're having a good time. :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Evilreaver posted:

Hopefully this means scanners like Live Desktop are coming back, which collectively make this game worth playing

They are. Got a development one running and it's working. God it's nice to have a scanner again. I went for a run today and there was a Nidorino or Nidorina around and i chased after it for almost 10 minutes and I couldn't get it to show up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Evilreaver posted:

What is this?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
For the best movesets, this spreadsheet's "Results Simple" tab is gonna be your best bet. It's basically DPS*expected # of seconds alive for each pokemon + move combo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0TeYGBPiuzaYWhMNV9seWs1emc/view

Or save this image for a mobile friendly version

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 7, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I had a great time playing today. I found a really awesome beach / state park in Northern Cali for pokemoning. Probably walked over 5 km (beach walking is hard).

Back when the scanners were working (and I'm assuming they'll work again soon), I scoped out a bunch of state parks that my wife and I like to visit. So this state park may give some of the hotspots in San Franciso a run for their money. It's that good.

We got 5 Dratinis today, 3 of them while eating dinner at a nearby favorite restaurant of ours, overlooking the ocean during sunset. :)

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 7, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They are. Got a development one running and it's working. God it's nice to have a scanner again. I went for a run today and there was a Nidorino or Nidorina around and i chased after it for almost 10 minutes and I couldn't get it to show up.

Any web based ones or one that doesn't require logging in work yet?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Bill Barber posted:

I've just been doing a very rudimentary comparison to http://heavy.com/games/2016/07/pokemon-go-move-guide-tier-list-best-moves-each-type-species-ranking-dps-damage-per-second/ right now to decide which pokemon is better between 2 closely matched ones.

I walk around and every once in awhile I open the app to see what pokes are around.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

I know it's not a fancy dragon but a 100% IV max evolution Pokemon with the best possible moveset is kinda fun from a perfectionist standpoint.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Avalerion posted:

Any web based ones or one that doesn't require logging in work yet?

Niantic is liable to launch C&D orders at any that pop up.

Your best hope of an easy solution, so to speak, is waiting for someone to neatly bundle the python script that's currently the source of non-niantic access into a desktop (or potentislly android) app. It shouldn't be especially hard to mess with the desktop client that gives a QR code, if my understanding of exactly what the problem (roughly and non-technically speaking, niantic turned on a thing that detects whether the request for access comes from the actual app) was is correct.

Make a second account completely non-linked to your first, whether through a second PTC account with a second email, or just a new gmail account, and you should be safe unless niantic begins IP banning.

This is all absolutely against the TOS, mind you, so if you want no risk whatsoever, don't use these trackers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, too worried about the possibility of them starting to IP bans folks (apparently they came down pretty hard on all kinds of "cheats" for Ingress) which is why I'm hoping for something like Pokevision to make a come back.

Stops around here get lured pretty often so it's not much of a loss for me, just would be nice to figure out how the spawns work to begin with and stuff.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Avalerion posted:

Yea, too worried about the possibility of them starting to IP bans folks (apparently they came down pretty hard on all kinds of "cheats" for Ingress) which is why I'm hoping for something like Pokevision to make a come back.

Stops around here get lured pretty often so it's not much of a loss for me, just would be nice to figure out how the spawns work to begin with and stuff.

IP banning just seems crazy though given how unreliable of an indicator it is.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they wont be able to stop any of the "cheats" they are fighting without negatively impacting the non cheating majority.

People still cheat in ingress and have never actually been stopped in any long term way

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Now that Iran has banned Pokemon Go where can I catch a Persian?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

This was caught right near this:

Do I evolve both anyway because why not?

Bert Roberge posted:

WOULD YOU STOP.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Bert Roberge posted:

Persian isn't region specific he's the second form of Mew.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Eyochigan posted:

*Meowth?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eyochigan posted:

Good going understanding the joke there.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Move set is randomized on evolve, good luck

Thats fine. I just want to understand the IVs. IF these were already evolved, wouldnt the first one be more desireable?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So I guess this isn't something you can do more than speculate on, but what are the odds of getting into some trouble from using PokeAdvisor? Either from Niantic, or from account-access issues (i.e. some internet guy trading away all my pidgeys if/when that becomes a thing).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dahbadu posted:

We got 5 Dratinis today, 3 of them while eating dinner at a nearby favorite restaurant of ours, overlooking the ocean during sunset. :)

How Pomantic! :)

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

So I guess this isn't something you can do more than speculate on, but what are the odds of getting into some trouble from using PokeAdvisor? Either from Niantic, or from account-access issues (i.e. some internet guy trading away all my pidgeys if/when that becomes a thing).

pokeadvisor is some serious poo poo i hear about people getting IP banned every day

also, nerds unfucked the API and some scanners are back online, like the best one right here https://github.com/mchristopher/PokemonGo-DesktopMap/releases

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

As far as your credentials, pokeadvisor doesn't get your e-mail let alone your password (encrypted or not). The token you get is a one-use thing that basically says "this person has authenticated elsewhere, let them in".

As far as detection via Niantic, it is doing read-only calls so I think the risk is low. This is opposed to scanners which have to move an avatar around via API calls to get data. People are worried about being/having been flagged with this because there's a struct everyone has been ignoring when they made calls that only recently got switched on to act as request validation. This is what broke all the bots and maps but Pokeadvisor wasn't affected. Theoretically, Niantic could have records of every account that made a call without this correctly provided. But if they really wanted to they could go on the site and look at everyone that has info up there and match it to your account but uh... seems unlikely. If the owner implements batch transferring or some of the other stuff he was thinking about there may be more risk.

Bacon Hat posted:

pokeadvisor is some serious poo poo i hear about people getting IP banned every day

Where? I haven't heard of anyone getting banned yet including bots/scan accounts. There's one badly Photoshoped picture of a "banned" message floating around though.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Hatched a 100%.exeggcute :>

• Locked thread