Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

it seems silly to have the games run during business hours on weekdays and completely skip the weekends. it wouldnt all fit in 2 days whatever but this is the entertainment industry at least play something on saturday sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

not that i have a job or anything lets not get carried away, im just bored with the 2 day break of nothing to watch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

it seems silly to have the games run during business hours on weekdays and completely skip the weekends. it wouldnt all fit in 2 days whatever but this is the entertainment industry at least play something on saturday sunday

They are just playing to their core demographic of sad unemployed nerds who live in their mother's basement.

For real it's pretty stupid though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I agree that it's stupid to not play anything this weekend but I don't think the exact time they play matters that much since they're broadcasting to a global audience (and actually, I'd bet that they would get more viewers from China/SEA or Europe than the US, anyway)

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

also im fascinated by how the money works in this. like pyrion what js your day job because obvii you arent a full time dota dude. or like shane, he isnt even a part time dota dude. is he being paid to sit on the couch? how much and why. what does he do normally. is LD making dota millions? does he have to do other stuff? the world may never know

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

I agree that it's stupid to not play anything this weekend but I don't think the exact time they play matters that much since they're broadcasting to a global audience (and actually, I'd bet that they would get more viewers from China/SEA or Europe than the US, anyway)

The games are going from like 7 pm to 7 am in Europe. These are not good times for us.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

also im fascinated by how the money works in this. like pyrion what js your day job because obvii you arent a full time dota dude. or like shane, he isnt even a part time dota dude. is he being paid to sit on the couch? how much and why. what does he do normally. is LD making dota millions? does he have to do other stuff? the world may never know

I think 2GD said his fee for Shanghai was $10k? I don't know if Pflax is getting the big presenter bucks like that, but it's still probably not too shabby. Supplement that with announcer pack cash, youtube and Twitch money, and other events sprinkled throughout the year and the bigger DOTA 2 personalities are all probably making a decent living.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
For the people that were asking what to watch this is what I'm going to watch based entirely on how many 'holy poo poo' posts appeared in the thread

Wildcard
-CoL Escape G3
-Ehome Xctn G3
-Xctn CoL G2
Group Stages Day 1
-Wings EG G12
-LGD OG G1
-OG Alliance G2
-OG EG G1
-Secret MVP G2
-DC MVP G1
Group Stages Day 2
-Wings OG G12
-EG TNC G1
-DC Nb G1
-DC Secret G12
Group Stages Day 3
-Alliance EG G1
-DC Liquid G12

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Andrast posted:

The games are going from like 7 pm to 7 am in Europe. These are not good times for us.

Timezones obviously cannot please the whole world, but it is very WTF that the entire event, group stage + main event, is all during weekdays. You'd really think that at least the last two days of the main event would be saturday/sunday, but nope. I really wanted to be able to watch it but i might not be able to. Along with probably hundreds of thousands of other people.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
This is how our team enviroment is like. Bigdaddyn0tail is screaming in the mic:" BIGDADDY BIGDADDYYYYY BIG DOOOOODYYY YEEEAAAA IM" GOING INNNNN". I'm yelling "GET ON MY LEVEL HOE YEEE NEVA EVA NEVA EVA YOU CAN NEVA EVA GET ON MY LEVEL HOE" everytime I kill someone. Fly is spamming Alt Left-Click on his gold to count it every second, he's also spamming Alt Left-Click quickbuyu on Midas to remind us every second how close he is to buying Midas while me and n0tail are yelling at him stop counting your money jew and don't buy midas or we'll lose. Meanwhile cr1t's spamming "Good Game" on the chat wheel while typing "I am dead" every other second. Alas we have Miracle- aka "M-God" aka "8 0 0 0 M A T C H M A K I N G P O I N T S" playing anti-mage and I think he muted all of us. Now you might be thinking:"How the hell does a team function like that? Let alone win?!". Well that's because this is the environment Miracle- is used to playing in his 8000 Ranked MM games. He ends up playing anti-mage or SF and carries the game 1v9. We are simply re-creating the environment in which he excels: Miracle + four 4k mmr teammates

but make it 9k MMR now. OG top 3 guaranteed almost.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taffer posted:

Timezones obviously cannot please the whole world, but it is very WTF that the entire event, group stage + main event, is all during weekdays. You'd really think that at least the last two days of the main event would be saturday/sunday, but nope. I really wanted to be able to watch it but i might not be able to. Along with probably hundreds of thousands of other people.

I'm pretty sure the final is on saturday.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It probably costs more to rent out the venue on weekends/maybe this was the only way they could get enough consecutive days because other stuff was booked?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PFlax is a stay at home dad and does Dota stuff on the side as supplemental income. LD is probably pretty well off given how successful BTS has been. Dunno about Shane, I assume he has a day job since I've only ever seen him doing Dreamleague.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bardeh posted:

I think 2GD said his fee for Shanghai was $10k? I don't know if Pflax is getting the big presenter bucks like that, but it's still probably not too shabby. Supplement that with announcer pack cash, youtube and Twitch money, and other events sprinkled throughout the year and the bigger DOTA 2 personalities are all probably making a decent living.

Uh, you may have forgotten, but they tried to pay people with residuals from signed hat cosmetics. And the community went nuts. Especially since Valve still keeps most of that money, too. (edit: iirc James was one of the few people who actually had a salary, everybody else was being paid with 25% virtual hat-bux until James spoke up that he felt like poo poo being a salaried man among slave laborers.)

Someday gamers will be convinced to drop PayPal and actual monetary currency with Steam Transactions where you give your friend :10bux: and he gets $2.50 and Valve gets $7.50. They'll all accept this willingly because Half-Life was a totally awesome game.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 7, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Taffer posted:

Tell your work that your mom died

I would feel awful as my boss let me off work for a month while my dad was in the hospital dying. She lets me watch the streams of games and only rolls her eyes when I shout at my tablet propped next to my computer.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Craptacular! posted:

Uh, you may have forgotten, but they tried to pay people with residuals from signed hat cosmetics. And the community went nuts. Especially since Valve still keeps most of that money, too. (edit: iirc James was one of the few people who actually had a salary, everybody else was being paid with 25% virtual hat-bux until James spoke up that he felt like poo poo being a salaried man among slave laborers.)

Someday gamers will be convinced to drop PayPal and actual monetary currency with Steam Transactions where you give your friend :10bux: and he gets $2.50 and Valve gets $7.50. They'll all accept this willingly because Half-Life was a totally awesome game.

Valve is a great company and the fact that they fired 2GD from a tournament Gabe didn't even want to fly out to after he protested to help Valve hired workers to be treated like human beings, well those are all unrelated to each other. Also, despite paying 10 bucks for a compendium I for one am glad 90 percent of the good rewards cost a dozen additional donations, and I'm glad that the 'trading cards' still a week later cannot be traded because the player, team, and even rarity do not load in Steam's trading window.

Also a random fun fact: 420BootyWizard the guy who sat next to Dendi for the big fun match last year, made an AMA where he confirmed he nor the other players actually ever got their prize despite giving their Steam IDs to Valve employees. 7 bucks saved again by Valve, the most efficient company ever.

The one thing I'm not sarcastic about : Every time Alliance does something perfect in a game for a 20 million dollar tournament I feel really good and nostalgic and laugh at everyone who compares them to a fully dead team like Na'vi. That comeback over EG must be the best game of the pre-tournament.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Na'vi is gonna eliminate Alliance, save this post.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

LD co-owns/runs Beyond The Summit. I work in the hawt esports industry as well (literally how I make a very comfortable living) and if you think these personalities, players, coaches only come to big events and cast then lol anyways see ya'll at TI

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Peanut President posted:

Na'vi is gonna eliminate Alliance, save this post.

Uh this requires Na'vi to eliminate Liquid first.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

more like dICK posted:

Uh this requires Na'vi to eliminate Liquid first.

Also it would require Alliance to first lose to EHO- Ahahahaha who am I kidding we all know EHOME is going smash Alliance like a cream puff.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i feel like na'vi and alliance are both in that weird spot right now where they're probably not a top tier team but on a good day for seemingly no reason can make any opposing team look like a pubstack.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Pyrion Flax posted:

Thank you.

Goonsider info:

They are attempting so much this year at key arena that if they pull it off it will easily be the best broadcast we've ever done. The games are already some of the best group stage games I can remember so I assume the main event will follow on, leaving the broadcast as the only real concern left for me. Cross all your fingers please.

Done, let me know when its safe to uncross them.

Thanks, its annoyingly formatted and the game descriptions are stupid, but its better than nothing.

So secret are bad. Thats pretty funny.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

botany posted:

i feel like na'vi and alliance are both in that weird spot right now where they're probably not a top tier team but on a good day for seemingly no reason can make any opposing team look like a pubstack.

the word for that is "B-tier"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ElNarez posted:

the word for that is "B-tier"

Upper bracket TI6 mate

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheRat posted:

Upper bracket TI6 mate

"lucky B-tier" then

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Upper bracket TI6 mate

1 game away from having to tie break with Jimmy Demon Ho

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like Navi could disappear in bottom place for a second straight year, but could also go on a pretty good lower bracket run if they can squeak past Liquid in this BO1. It's going to require Dendi and General to show up at their best, though, because Liquid's supports > Navi's supports.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

liquid are not looking so hot so i wouldnt really be surprised either way

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah after watching some vods of liquids games from the group stage I definitely think navi look stronger. Like just watch both games against secret to see some very questionable decisions by liquid. I feel like Jerax was the only one on his A game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Alliance has a 100% TI winrate when they get to the main stage

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Infallible logic:

quote:

The first ocurrence of Jacky 'EternalEnvy' Mao having a hand in the fate of who won TI was at TI3, where s4, Loda and co. showed the world 'kick EE, win TI'. Last year at TI5 it was shown that this also worked in reverse, 'Get kicked by EE, win TI', when EG won having picked up Aui_2000 only a short time prior to TI. This year we take a look, no one has recently kicked EE, so we have no contenders for that. DC however have 2 team members who were recently-ish kicked by Jacky 'EternalEnvy' Mao from Team Secret. That's twice the TI winning power. Therefore, Digital Chaos will win TI. Sunsfanned.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Infallible logic:

They gotta do a no legs draft tho.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like Navi could disappear in bottom place for a second straight year, but could also go on a pretty good lower bracket run if they can squeak past Liquid in this BO1. It's going to require Dendi and General to show up at their best, though, because Liquid's supports > Navi's supports.

You mean liquids supports> sonneiko cuz we all know navi runs 4 cores

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
It's gonna be funny whether Navi or liquid is eliminated because Navi has tons of fans and liquid was for many a favorite to win it all (since they got second at Manila)

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
If Liquid pick/ban SK and Io, they will probably win. Otherwise its a crapshoot.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Liquid are cursed to forever be the bridesmaid never the bride because the organization betrayed their NA roots

#dignitas2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
this 2 day break is absolute loving torture i want games to watch

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Liquid are cursed to forever be the bridesmaid never the bride because the organization betrayed their NA roots

#dignitas2017

Liquid is HQed in the Netherlands

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Elyv posted:

Liquid is HQed in the Netherlands

The ultimate betrayal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Elyv posted: