Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

blaitarch posted:

i have that case with a gtx 970 acx. the two backplate screws plus the pcie extender are solid - i dont think the support bumper is really necessary.

you worry about this but its not terribly different from having an un-supported video card in a tower case? id leave the two fans and not worry about 'sag'

additionally, being 25mm tall fans, there isnt much room to 'sag' anyway

Well in a normal tower case isn't the GPU centered on the plug? So the center of balance is even.

With this, the majority of the weight is on one side and it seems like it could cause the plug to snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

JBark posted:

eVGA released a BIOS update for the single fan model to enable 0rpm mode as well:
http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1060-BIOS-Update-Single-Fan-Models-Only-m2520978.aspx

Cool beans :)

Just ordered the EVGA 1060 SC, should be here by the end of next week hopefully.

blaitarch
Nov 19, 2002

Bass Bottles posted:

Well in a normal tower case isn't the GPU centered on the plug? So the center of balance is even.

With this, the majority of the weight is on one side and it seems like it could cause the plug to snap.

i dont think im entirely understanding what you mean

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Here's a size comparison between a SG05 and a ML08B

I didn't realize the ML08B was going to be that big. Now I"m not sure which case I want to go with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SFF attempt report: all outstanding parts arrived today, but PSU (Corsair SF) appears to be DOA. :v:

It is not providing power to the mobo when plugged in, and will not start when I try to short-start it with a paperclip. Plugged old ATX PSU into the motherboard and it showed it was receiving power as normal, so I can only logically conclude it's the SFX unit that's buggered.

:smith:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Bass Bottles posted:

In either case, the video card is supported by the backplate and screw, as well the PCI-E slot itself, or in the Node's case the PCI-E extender card, which should be just as secure.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just saw this thread linked from the PC building thread, figured I'd post my M1...my cabling looks so crappy compared to the one on the last page :cry:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/japtor/saved/ghh6Mp
Actually bought the case a while ago, just jumped in with parts now cause I saw a Micro Center sale on the chip and mobo when I decided to think about it again. No GPU cause I'm mostly playing indie stuff or just turning settings down. I'll probably get a RX 470/480 or GTX 1060 eventually.

I was moving it around on different TVs and got annoyed at the wireless antenna and 360 controller dongle being loose outside the case, I saw the tubing holes and figured I might as well try routing cables through those and just mounting the stuff inside. Antenna is basically just being held in by the gasket while the 360 dongle is just sitting on top of the side drive mount cage thing.

Wifi reception seemed fine, Bluetooth no clue (...are they both through that antenna?), while the 360 controllers seem to have reduced range, but I can't say I ever really tried them at too much of a distance from the dongle to begin with (vs on my 360). Been having some really annoying issue with going fullscreen/changing screen resolutions in some games where sound drops out. Looking it up it might have to do with HDMI and/or extra audio devices, some apparently switch to the other devices for whatever reason. I've disabled them and that seemed to work from some quick tests :iiam:

Quick question, what's the system monitor thing of choice these days? I tried Open Hardware Monitor but that didn't seem to support temperature or anything on this chip/board, looks like it was last updated years ago.

Edit: one more fun thing about the board in there, the two SATA Express/four SATA ports facing out the side are blocked by the PSU :argh:. There might be enough clearance for a right angle plug but it'd have to be pretty short to fit.

japtor fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Vimeo still not support HTML embed? This should be the Linus review of the Dan A4 case:

https://vimeo.com/177338795

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Trip report on the core x1 - it's way too big for sff goons to like it, but it's vented enough that my CPU / psu and graphics card fans only switch on when it's loaded, and the mobo is horizontal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

japtor posted:

Quick question, what's the system monitor thing of choice these days? I tried Open Hardware Monitor but that didn't seem to support temperature or anything on this chip/board, looks like it was last updated years ago.

HWInfo64.

About your internal 360 dongle, your motherboard should have an unused USB 2.0 connector, you can use that with an internal USB adapter (two-port version, just remove the pci shield) to avoid the clever-but-awkward workaround you came up with.

While you're at that, get a pack of cable ties to help organise them, and an inch of double-sided tape to prevent the dongle from sliding around.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

wipeout posted:

Trip report on the core x1 - it's way too big for sff goons to like it, but it's vented enough that my CPU / psu and graphics card fans only switch on when it's loaded, and the mobo is horizontal.

56L itx case, wowowow. if you like it though, rock on.

I have a fractal r3 that is 47L now and have been looking at a lot of cases for the next full build. my goal was something half the volume of the r3, max. The M1 and the A4 are obviously amazing, but ultimately it going to still sit under my desk, so it doesn't have to be ultra tiny, so I am leaning toward the fractal node 304 as of now. Horizontal motherboard, fullsized gpu support, <20L.

any complaints for anyone?

I also really like the thermaltake core v1, but it has a window and I think windows on cases are dumb af.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ooh this one is cool, I've been waiting on a case in this form factor since I saw the MSI Vortex pre-built:

http://bottlenext.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLTiMVJAxCM

The white version looks like a trash-can, but they have black and red versions and most interestingly an unpainted version - the lack of edges should make it a pleasure to decorate on your own.

Shame that the thermal design is awful, though. Hard lid instead of a mesh for the top exhaust? Sandwiching the CPU between the GPU and PSU? You're gonna have to install a notebook / blade-server style blower cooler if you don't want your CPU to melt, and that will be real loud. The Vortex had a much smarter design, placing the mobo and the GPUs in a triangle so that they would all dump heat towards the outside instead of on each other.

Their FAQ doesn't exactly inspire confidence though:

quote:

Q: What are the temperatures on full load?
A: Without the lid it stays cool enough to not bottleneck on temperature.

What kind of loving answer is that, which CPU? Which cooler? At which load? :ughh:

quote:

Q: Can “ALL IN ONE” water coolers fit?
A: The Cryorig X31 fits and the Cooler Master Seidon V2

Okay, the first is an air cooler so I have no idea what they're talking about, and the Seidon V2 has 90°-angled plugs on the waterblocks so I cannot imagine how you'd be able to mount it in their case.

So yeah, I de-hyped myself over the course of writing this post. :eng99:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Scott Forstall posted:

I also really like the thermaltake core v1, but it has a window and I think windows on cases are dumb af.

Yea, it's a shame they don't sell a mesh panel to replace the window on that. I hate them too. They do sell them for some other cases.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

HWInfo64.

About your internal 360 dongle, your motherboard should have an unused USB 2.0 connector, you can use that with an internal USB adapter (two-port version, just remove the pci shield) to avoid the clever-but-awkward workaround you came up with.

While you're at that, get a pack of cable ties to help organise them, and an inch of double-sided tape to prevent the dongle from sliding around.
Oh neat, didn't realize there was another USB header besides the front one and could just get some adapter for that. For the wifi/BT antenna could I use those screw on types that just go straight on the terminal?

NihilCredo posted:

Ooh this one is cool, I've been waiting on a case in this form factor since I saw the MSI Vortex pre-built:

The white version looks like a trash-can, but they have black and red versions and most interestingly an unpainted version - the lack of edges should make it a pleasure to decorate on your own.

Shame that the thermal design is awful, though. Hard lid instead of a mesh for the top exhaust? Sandwiching the CPU between the GPU and PSU? You're gonna have to install a notebook / blade-server style blower cooler if you don't want your CPU to melt, and that will be real loud. The Vortex had a much smarter design, placing the mobo and the GPUs in a triangle so that they would all dump heat towards the outside instead of on each other.

What kind of loving answer is that, which CPU? Which cooler? At which load? :ughh:

Okay, the first is an air cooler so I have no idea what they're talking about, and the Seidon V2 has 90°-angled plugs on the waterblocks so I cannot imagine how you'd be able to mount it in their case.

And from the pics it looks like the CPU cooler fins are oriented to be perpendicular to the airflow :confused:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wipeout posted:

Yea, it's a shame they don't sell a mesh panel to replace the window on that. I hate them too. They do sell them for some other cases.

I had one of those. You can put the window as the top panel so it doesn't look stupid. Alternatively I guess you can buy 2 and use the mesh panel from the extra :v:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Scott Forstall posted:

[core x1] 56L itx case
Holy cow that thing is huge for ITX. I don't understand why they even make cases like that ITX only. The case is 11 inches wide with a horizontal motherboard tray, mATX boards are maximum 9.6" x 9.6". Maybe they'd have to make the case slightly wider but I doubt it. Looking at their official photos it looks like there is plenty of empty space around ITX boards in this case and it seems to me the case could've been designed to take mATX without being even a tiny bit bigger. ITX would still be a supported option.

Seems like a nice case design overall, not trying to flame the guy who bought it. I just don't know why they'd limit people to ITX only when the case is physically big enough to take bigger boards if they just changed the motherboard tray a bit. Several mATX cases are smaller while having broad component compatibility. Silverstone SG10 is WAY smaller, Corsair Air 240 is a bit smaller with similar design and compatibility but takes mATX boards. Cases like this core X1 just make no sense to me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It seems to me like the core x1 is made for people who do custom water cooling and/or need a ton of drive capacity, stuff which you need a good amount of room for.

e- Also for the people who want plenty of room to work around, not the cramped-to-non-existent room of the ueber tiny cases lol

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Got my parts into the Ncase today:

That's a Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF and on an EVGA Stinger and it just about fits in. It's by far the quietest (I cannot hear this machine unless I put my head right up to it) and smallest PC ive ever built.
Other specs are 6700k, 32gb RAM, 1tb samsung ssd, geforce 970, 500w Silverstone.

I'm going to run it without any case fans and monitor temps, see if I need the extra noise/dust to keep it cool.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Let's talk about small and silent SFF PCs. Has anyone managed to find a blower style GPU that's better than a 970 that is actually silent at idle, or just very very quiet in general? I managed to get my PC (in a Node 202 case) pretty much 100% silent at idle, but the blower style GPU fan can't be turned off, even after I flashed the BIOS to allow for a 0% fan speed, because it has a hardware limiter that locks it at about 25% fan speed.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Col.Kiwi posted:

Holy cow that thing is huge for ITX. I don't understand why they even make cases like that ITX only. The case is 11 inches wide with a horizontal motherboard tray, mATX boards are maximum 9.6" x 9.6". Maybe they'd have to make the case slightly wider but I doubt it. Looking at their official photos it looks like there is plenty of empty space around ITX boards in this case and it seems to me the case could've been designed to take mATX without being even a tiny bit bigger. ITX would still be a supported option.

Seems like a nice case design overall, not trying to flame the guy who bought it. I just don't know why they'd limit people to ITX only when the case is physically big enough to take bigger boards if they just changed the motherboard tray a bit. Several mATX cases are smaller while having broad component compatibility. Silverstone SG10 is WAY smaller, Corsair Air 240 is a bit smaller with similar design and compatibility but takes mATX boards. Cases like this core X1 just make no sense to me.

That's only if you assume most people are intelligent enough to do actual research instead of falling for the "OMG ITX it muz be gud" memetic marketing.

Even I think my 250D is pretty pointless compared to a small mATX tower case in terms of volume saved and flexibility.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

NihilCredo posted:

That looks horrible. Well, it looks nice, but everything about it is horrible.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My Ncase M1 is supposed to show up in the next few days. I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler and I have a Gigabyte 980ti waterforce for a gpu that I'm going to try and fit in there.

Edit: Christ, just went back thru this thread and realized I ordered the case back on July 1st. Good thing I've had my components running in another case in the meantime.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 8, 2016

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Coredump posted:

My Ncase M1 is supposed to show up in the next few days. I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D9L cpu cooler and I have a Gigabyte 980ti waterforce for a gpu that I'm going to try and fit in there.

Edit: Christ, just went back thru this thread and realized I ordered the case back on July 1st. Good thing I've had my components running in another case in the meantime.
I'm in the same boat, mine's supposed to show up tomorrow and I think I ordered it mid to early July. I've had my SFX power supply and low profile cooler in my case for the better part of a month

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Kinda general SFF question, but specifically for the Ncase for those who have one, how important is a blower card vs open air? I'm planning on low-mid range GPU like RX 470/480 or 1060 (i.e. something on the hopefully cooler end of the spectrum) and just using the stock Intel cooler w/i5 6500 and a single SSD for now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It lives!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I seem the like the thinner cases with the otherwise wider profile, but I want to be able to pop a full-sized video card into one. Is there some general configuration for that? Like, do they have motherboards with the PCI-Express port parallel to the motherboard?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I seem the like the thinner cases with the otherwise wider profile, but I want to be able to pop a full-sized video card into one. Is there some general configuration for that? Like, do they have motherboards with the PCI-Express port parallel to the motherboard?
There are cases like the Fractal Node 202 and the Silverstone RVZ01/02 that use PCI risers to give more flexibility to where you can put your video card.

Is that kinda what you're talking about?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

beepsandboops posted:

There are cases like the Fractal Node 202 and the Silverstone RVZ01/02 that use PCI risers to give more flexibility to where you can put your video card.

Is that kinda what you're talking about?

Looks like it. I have to chew on them a little bit.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Node 202 is really nice but kind of a pain to work in.

The bottom comes off via these little snaps that are very difficult to undo. You need to do this to clean out the bottom dust filters.

Also, be sure that your screwdriver skills are up to snuff because there are some hard to reach corners.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palladium posted:

That's only if you assume most people are intelligent enough to do actual research instead of falling for the "OMG ITX it muz be gud" memetic marketing.

Even I think my 250D is pretty pointless compared to a small mATX tower case in terms of volume saved and flexibility.

I bought it because I had a mitx board in a m itx Lian li case, a 400mm rad, some 200mm fans, and a bunch of hard drives. I probably won't bother with the rad after realising how quiet good air cooling is, though.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Let's talk about small and silent SFF PCs. Has anyone managed to find a blower style GPU that's better than a 970 that is actually silent at idle, or just very very quiet in general? I managed to get my PC (in a Node 202 case) pretty much 100% silent at idle, but the blower style GPU fan can't be turned off, even after I flashed the BIOS to allow for a 0% fan speed, because it has a hardware limiter that locks it at about 25% fan speed.

Not that I've found. The Founder's 1080 and 1070 are a few dBa quieter than the previous gen reference models, but they're not silent. I've got the MSI 1070 Aero, which is way, way quieter than the blower on my old eVGA 670, but I can still hear it. But my Shuttle has very little in the way of airflow, so a blower is my only option. I will say that even though I can hear it, it's far less distracting than the noise profile of the 670, and there's no comparison under load. With the 670 the fan itself is super loud and annoying under load, but with the 1070 it's really only the air flow I hear.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
My Mini-ITX build

And the actual PC under the desk (I should clean down there)

Had to get creative with my space constraints, all working out fine.

Specs are:

Intel 6600K at stock speeds, this POS CPU will not OC at all, I originally had a Fractal Design S24 AIO and it was stable at 4.1ghz but the noise was not worth it, so now I have a be quiet! PURE ROCK that is silent even under load.
ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
16gb of HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz@3000mhz
Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD
ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition with a 125mhz OC on core, and 425mhz on the RAM. Usually sits at about 2ghz with boost 3.0. Blower style is great for this case since all the other components are nice and cool.
Corsair 550RMx PSU, silent, I don't think I've ever heard it turn it's fan on.
And the Fractal Design Core 500 case, really happy with it, loads of room, filtered everywhere and fits perfectly on my shelf.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

snuff posted:

My Mini-ITX build

Specs are:

Intel 6600K at stock speeds, this POS CPU will not OC at all, I originally had a Fractal Design S24 AIO and it was stable at 4.1ghz but the noise was not worth it, so now I have a be quiet! PURE ROCK that is silent even under load.
Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD
ASUS GTX 1070 Founders Edition with a 125mhz OC on core, and 425mhz on the RAM. Usually sits at about 2ghz with boost 3.0. Blower style is great for this case since all the other components are nice and cool.
And the Fractal Design Core 500 case, really happy with it, loads of room, filtered everywhere and fits perfectly on my shelf.

well done. small, quiet, and powerful.

a few questions if you don't mind - did you consider any other cases? anything in particular sway you to the Core 500? which monitor is that? what are you using for audio? I've been considering wireless bt headphones to reduce wire clutter.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

well done. small, quiet, and powerful.

a few questions if you don't mind - did you consider any other cases? anything in particular sway you to the Core 500? which monitor is that? what are you using for audio? I've been considering wireless bt headphones to reduce wire clutter.

I also considered the thermaltake core v1, but the dealbreaker was no filtered intake and the limited GPU length, it couldn't fit my previous GPU. The monitor is a Dell u2515h, with a Dell soundbar. The soundbar is decent but has some very low static buzz but I don't really notice it anymore, but then again I'm very sensitive to noise. The soundbar has headphone and mic jacks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

snuff posted:

I also considered the thermaltake core v1, but the dealbreaker was no filtered intake and the limited GPU length, it couldn't fit my previous GPU. The monitor is a Dell u2515h, with a Dell soundbar. The soundbar is decent but has some very low static buzz but I don't really notice it anymore, but then again I'm very sensitive to noise. The soundbar has headphone and mic jacks.

The Core V1 does have filtered intake though, it has a gigantic foam filter for the 200mm fan.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

snuff posted:

My Mini-ITX build

Specs are:

Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD

I have the same board and chip. Have you tried clocking using adaptive vcore / with the UA and VCCIO set to something sensible, like 1.15 v or so?
At default, mine wouldn't clock at all either without excessive heat until I set those three voltages.
My settings for this averageish chip are 4.4Ghz, LLC level 4, adaptive voltage @ 1.28V, user agent / VCCIO @ 1.2v (for 3733 Ram).
It indicates around 1.26V vcore when loaded.

quote:

The Core V1 does have filtered intake though, it has a gigantic foam filter for the 200mm fan.
I wanted one orginally, but checking Thermaltake's store, they didn't sell a replacement mesh panel... and it didn't fit the GPU I wanted (285mm x 133mm). But so close.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

snuff posted:

My Mini-ITX build

Specs are:

Old Samsung 840 EVO SSD

There's something strangely satisfying about seeing that small odd corner being used so well.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

There's something strangely satisfying about seeing that small odd corner being used so well.

It was also very satisfying putting it all together, made the table myself and removed the old shelf (there are more shelves above the monitor)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Installed an old ivy bridge i3 setup in the ML08B case I got. The Samuel 17 cooler I had did not fit with a standard width 120mm fan. Got a Scythe 12mm thin fan and all is good. Will run it for a while to get temps later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I just finished my NCASE M1 build! I got a write up on PCPartPicker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/dpyfrH