Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Found some x-rays of x-t1 and 23/1.4: http://imgur.com/a/kkq2N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Anyone know just how weather sealed the RX10 miii is? Or, if not the mii of that is comparable? I'm afraid to get it wet. I took it to the beach and no sand seemed to get in but the doors on the camera make me doubt that it is truly weather sealed.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

I'm looking to buy a mirrorless. I like the Sony A6000 but it's a little bit more expensive than what I want to pay. Is there something similar for under $400 used?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Depends a bit on what you want to shoot. You can get a used Olympus E-M10 for under 300 bucks with a kit lens. It's a great camera (I use it and I really love it) but it's not great if you really want to shoot sports.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The telephoto lenses for m43 are better (cheaper, longer, more available) than those for Sony, though. The em10 AF isn't next-gen like the a6000 but what's the point of that great pdaf if you're stuck with 210mm f/6.3 or shelling out over 2k for a 70-200?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Fuji question: Is it true that Fuji raws don't play well with Lightroom? Is it a gamebreaker or are there reasonable workarounds?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's really only sharpening that is weird these days and people have workarounds for it. I found using LR to process Fuji Raws unbearably laggy and poo poo (LR in general seems very unoptimised) but my computer is not all that so you're likely fine. Capture 1 is really good though once you get over the initial hurdle of learning a new system.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The latest LR CC update has improved Fuji RAW handling quite a bit.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I don't get why if people have worked around it, why doesn't Adobe incorporate those workarounds into the raw processing. The applicable user base is large enough and the software expensive enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Fuji question: Is it true that Fuji raws don't play well with Lightroom? Is it a gamebreaker or are there reasonable workarounds?
More modern comparisons (this is from a week or so ago) support the argument that it's mostly FUD at this point.

http://www.aevansphoto.com/fujis-x-trans-sensor-sucks-part-3/

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Schneider Heim posted:

FWIW I stopped shooting in RAW after I got my fuji. I found JPGs to be drat near perfect.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

FWIW I stopped shooting in RAW after I got my fuji. I found JPGs to be drat near perfect.

Shoot RAW+F that way you can quickly use the in camera RAW editor to make B&W copies or what not. Like 90% of the photos I post lately are straight of of the camera. (I still have LR and Photoshop just in case, I'm not a crazy person)

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Shoot RAW+F that way you can quickly use the in camera RAW editor to make B&W copies or what not. Like 90% of the photos I post lately are straight of of the camera. (I still have LR and Photoshop just in case, I'm not a crazy person)

Good point. There's no reason for me not to either since I've got a 128gig card in there.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Good point. There's no reason for me not to either since I've got a 128gig card in there.

I get like 3K+ using compressed RAW+F on my 128gb card, I will never fill this thing.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Finally got some money. Going to upgrade my wife's canon xsi + sigma 30 mm 1.8 (not art). Mostly to shoot stills of the kids. Video is shot with our phones for youtube clips, so not a much of a factor currently.

Sony a6300 with sony 28 f2? Since I don't care about video would the a6000 be good to keep it closer to $1000?

Or Fuji xt10 and what lens?

Her main want is something that will talk to her phone, so hearing people taking Fuji jpg's right off camera is tempting. Any deals going on, or just look at amazon and adorama?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

For Fuji if you want a compact fixed lens camera look at the x100 and its variations. Otherwise a T10 is likely your best bet paired with whatever lens you are after. Both are APS-C size sensors and the closest to the sigma 30 are the Fuji 35/2 and 35/1.4. Both are lenses people rave about (havent used them myself) but the 35/2 is smaller, newer and weather resistant. There is also a very small 27/2.8 pancake lens. Finally the Fuji XF 18-55 f/2.8 is an excellent lens that despite almost appearing to be a kit lens at first look is of way higher quality. Not to be mistaken for its big brother the XF 16-55 (pro lens, well over $1k by itself, or the XC 16-50 f/3.5).

There are other options but they get very expensive very quickly.

In other news I got a Fuji XC 50-230 for a steal at about £100 and I have to say so far im really impressed especially considering how cheap it is. Its light, like, really really light and feels solid enough despite the plastic construction. Autofocus is fast with only a little hunting in low light on an updated X-E2 and the image stabiliser is likewise way better than you'd expect for a lens on this tier. I can handhold 1/30 shots at 230mm and get sharp pictures most of the time. Really the only complaint is the aperture but its not surprising that something had to give.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 8, 2016

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Saros posted:

For Fuji if you want a compact fixed lens camera look at the x100 and its variations. Otherwise a T10 is likely your best bet paired with whatever lens you are after. Both are APS-C size sensors and the closest to the sigma 30 are the Fuji 35/2 and 35/1.4. Both are lenses people rave about (havent used them myself) but the 35/2 is smaller, newer and weather resistant. There is also a very small 27/2.8 pancake lens. Finally the Fuji XF 18-55 f/2.8 is an excellent lens that despite almost appearing to be a kit lens at first look is of way higher quality.

There are other options but they get very expensive very quickly.
In other news I got a Fuji XC 50-230 for a steal at about £100 and I have to say so far im really impressed especially considering how cheap it is. Its light, like, really really light and feels solid enough despite the plastic construction. Autofocus is fast with only a little hunting in low light on an updated X-E2 and the image stabiliser is likewise way better than you'd expect for a lens on this tier. I can handhold 1/30 shots at 230mm and get sharp pictures most of the time. Really the only complaint is the aperture but its not surprising that something had to give.

Echoing everything here with one addition: I got the 27mm pancake a few weeks back and it's rarely left my camera's body since. It's a fantastic light lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
You'll find mostly Fuji suggestions here because this thread is like 90% Fujichat. I don't know much about Sony's wireless connectivity but I can tell you that Fuji's is a little temperamental, sometimes it takes a couple of trys to get the android app to sync to my phone, yet the SP1 has zero issues so it's not a camera issue. If you are looking at Fuji I'd toss in the XE-2 as an option, with the firmware 4.00 I think it probably equals or beats the XT-10 performance wise. You can pick one up for six or seven hundred bucks on ebay which would give you enough left over in your budget to buy another lens or a flash or a bunch of booze. You may also want to expand your search into looking at Olympia's OMD series, they are super popular with a few posters around here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you could easily find an EM-5 (first version) or EM-10 for cheap, and there are a ton of great lenses available

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

you 5-axis IBIS Olympus havers are probably well used to this, but I'm seriously impressed with my GX85 so far. This is hand held at 1/8.

P1010123 by King Dugga, on Flickr

The 15mm Summilux is every bit as good as I'd hoped too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Picked up the X100S today from KEH to go along with my D7100. Really want something I can take with me each time I go out hiking and other places like that. Love the D7100 and won't part with it, but it isn't as nice to carry.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Received my X100S today, so far a great little camera. Happy to have a take with me everywhere camera again!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fuji rebates just kicked in again. I'm sorely tempted to grab the 56mm despite not having a camera body to mount it on for another month or so.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fuji rebates just kicked in again. I'm sorely tempted to grab the 56mm despite not having a camera body to mount it on for another month or so.

It's worth it. I just rented the 90mm f/2 for a wedding and oh man this rebate is gonna make me justify to myself actually buying one. We'll see how strong I am after I ship it back next week. I really should spend my money on a 2nd xpro2 and a laptop upgrade.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

So I got a Fuji XE-1 years ago with the 35mm and 18mm lenses. I haven't really kept up with the tech since, have their been any major changes to Fuji's lineup/plans I should know about? I've been living under a rock the last few years in the photography department.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Elderbean posted:

So I got a Fuji XE-1 years ago with the 35mm and 18mm lenses. I haven't really kept up with the tech since, have their been any major changes to Fuji's lineup/plans I should know about? I've been living under a rock the last few years in the photography department.

A new higher MP sensor on the new XPro2 and X-T2 bodies, which should trickled down to the next X-E camera. Wait for that.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Just ordered the Olympus 12-40mm pro.
Will be my first nice zoom lens, as I've mostly just used primes (and occasional kit lenses) before.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Lhet posted:

Just ordered the Olympus 12-40mm pro.
Will be my first nice zoom lens, as I've mostly just used primes (and occasional kit lenses) before.

It's incredible and actually better than the Oly primes in its focal range (well, the primes are faster and smaller at least).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Elderbean posted:

IMHO the biggest noticeable difference upgrading from an XE1/XPro1 is getting a electronic viewfinder that doesn't feel like a slideshow in anything but excellent light. There are a lot of updates but that is honestly my biggest beef with that gen camera.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Trying to decide between the a7r ii and a7s ii to act primarily as a video set-up. I need to record for 25 minutes in some instances and I've read the a7r has overheating issues with long records. Is this just with recording 4K or if I were to record a 25 minute clip at 1080p would I have the same issues?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My initial test of the 90mm f/2 I rented is not good for my wallet.

by Jim, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm torn between the 90mm and the 56mm for my next lens. I realize they are completely different focal lengths, but both fall into the portrait lens category for me and would be used mainly for shots of my kids. The 90 supposedly focuses faster and has wr to give me a nice wr prime trio, but the 56 is a bit smaller, has the faster aperture and seems to be a legendary fuji lens. Have you used the 56mm at all before renting the 90?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Trying to decide between the a7r ii and a7s ii to act primarily as a video set-up. I need to record for 25 minutes in some instances and I've read the a7r has overheating issues with long records. Is this just with recording 4K or if I were to record a 25 minute clip at 1080p would I have the same issues?

If you're looking for a video setup why wouldn't you grab the camera aimed at video?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Choicecut posted:

I'm torn between the 90mm and the 56mm for my next lens. I realize they are completely different focal lengths, but both fall into the portrait lens category for me and would be used mainly for shots of my kids. The 90 supposedly focuses faster and has wr to give me a nice wr prime trio, but the 56 is a bit smaller, has the faster aperture and seems to be a legendary fuji lens. Have you used the 56mm at all before renting the 90?

Yes. The 56mm is my go to long lens. It's very very good. I rented it for a wedding so I'll know more about the real world performance this weekend but so far it's crazy sharp wide open but does seem to hunt more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Choicecut posted:

Have you used the 90mm before? It's a very narrow focal length. Of course if your kids are just gonna sit there and let you take shots of their heads, then it's the ideal lens. Otherwise the 56 is probably better.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Now that the Xt-2 is around the corner, I've been looking at some lenses.

I'm currently running around with a X100S and wanted to get the XT-2 when its out, or the XT-1 if the ergonomics of the camera aren't that improved.

Looking at lenses to get with it, i've come down to either the 27mm pancake or the 35mm f2. Does this thread have a preference between the two? Mostly the camera would be coming with me on travels, shooting cities and occasional landscape on hikes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Leempi posted:

I'm currently running around with a X100S and wanted to get the XT-2 when its out, or the XT-1 if the ergonomics of the camera aren't that improved.

Looking at lenses to get with it, i've come down to either the 27mm pancake or the 35mm f2. Does this thread have a preference between the two? Mostly the camera would be coming with me on travels, shooting cities and occasional landscape on hikes.

Between the 2, I'd go with the 35/2 because I like the 50mm fov. So maybe the question is whether you like the 40 or 50mm fov? If I was shooting cities and landscapes, I think the 23 might be a better choice. Or if you're totally unsure, just get the 18-55 kit zoom, it's pretty awesome.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Leempi posted:

I've owned the both the 27mm and the 35mm (both versions) and if you don't need the speed get the 27mm. It's not great for portraits but landscapes/street work are both very doable with that FOV. I'd buy another one in a heart beat if I saw a good deal on it (I ain't paying full price when I have a 23 and 35 though).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pancake is overrated. Get the 35 (either version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

8th-snype posted:

Yes. The 56mm is my go to long lens.

alkanphel posted:

Have you used the 90mm before?

I haven't used either lens, just read about them. Sounds like the 56 is the way to go. I get suckered by the WR tag too easily, which I do like having. I use the xt1 and 16/35 lenses in the pool regularly, but I guess I really don't need it on a longer lens like that.

Leempi posted:

Looking at lenses to get with it, i've come down to either the 27mm pancake or the 35mm f2.

I thought the xt2 was the same camera with beefier tech specs?

I have and use both lenses, but If I were buying just one it would be the 35/2.