Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Comic books are such poo poo

If Jackson Publik/Doc Hammer, or maybe Justin Roiland animated and voiced that you'd be all the gently caress over it.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The experience is consummated!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

The experience is consummated!

Saying this every time I take a dump now

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Groovelord Neato posted:

i cannot begin to fathom how bad a movie had to be for someone with lovely enough taste to like those two movies to consider it bad.

b v s is pretty and with the cut bits it makes the plot flow a lot better and superman in particular is a lot easier to understand and find to be an okay guy. both mos and b v s also have really enjoyable large scale action scenes where you feel a little bit like the average person in the street would feel watching superhumans go at it. the only film i can think of that does it better offhand is chronicle, which is probably the best superpowers film there is.

suicide squad is a bunch of conflicting poo poo. the strongest feel is that of a generic summer action film, and its bad at that, and when it tries to do something different it feels terrible.

basically it's bad in a way that, if you find zack snyder's DC films to be bad, is entirely different. actually the only scene that excited me at all for anything else in the dcu was the 14 second flash scene which snyder directed

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MOS had the cool Krypton scenes, and I got a Fleishner cartoon vibe from him fighting the robot which was sorta cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZDar Fan posted:

Saying this every time I take a dump now

I'm gonna say it every time I post

Edit: THE EXPERIENCE IS ah dammit too late now

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 7, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Otisburg posted:

MOS had the cool Krypton scenes, and I got a Fleishner cartoon vibe from him fighting the robot which was sorta cool.

What was cool about the Krypton sequences? I never really got that, and I'm not talking about the generic "Avatar" complaints. The whole place just looked like a bad NuMetal cover come to life, the kind-of dreary "cool to a thirteen year-old" aesthetic you'd find in a flick buried on VHS between Titan A.E. and Heavy Metal 2000.

I even prefer 77's Crystal blacklight Krypton to MoS, and I loving hate Crystal blacklight Krypton.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't know why SS didn't just rip off The Raid. Enchantress escapes, holds up in some apartment and enslaves everyone. The Wall decides to send Our Villains to take her out, with Flag and Katana along to chaperone. At somepoint, the Good Guys get extracted and then the villains just go apeshit on their way to Enchantress.

mind the walrus posted:

What was cool about the Krypton sequences?
Nothing. It was just weightless, boring action.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

mind the walrus posted:

What was cool about the Krypton sequences? I never really got that, and I'm not talking about the generic "Avatar" complaints. The whole place just looked like a bad NuMetal cover come to life, the kind-of dreary "cool to a thirteen year-old" aesthetic you'd find in a flick buried on VHS between Titan A.E. and Heavy Metal 2000.

I even prefer 77's Crystal blacklight Krypton to MoS, and I loving hate Crystal blacklight Krypton.

I guess I liked the big weird Planetary Romance kind of thing with pteradactyls and the weird metal voxel displays and poo poo, and how different it was to Crystal And Tinfoil Krypton.

I disliked MoS less than BvS, anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I guess I liked the big weird Planetary Romance kind of thing with pteradactyls and the weird metal voxel displays and poo poo, and how different it was to Crystal And Tinfoil Krypton.

Yeah I respect that. I suppose it's the fact that it wants to be both romantic and on the brink of ruin that creates the dissonance that keeps pulling me out of it. The same complaint throughout most of MoS really, the fact that it is dealing with this romantic material that it constantly wants to undercut with pseudo-nihilistic thinking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

the krypton scene was when i knew the movie was going to bad. especially since it went on for 20 minutes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Any movie with a 2.5 hour, let alone 3 hour, running time has to be a tightly packed, spellbinding experience to just not feel too goddamn long. Adding 30 minutes to BvS to add clarity, to me, is like throwing more garbage on top of a trash fire to smother it and feeling proud when it goes from flaming intensely to merely guttering toxic smoke constantly.

E: I want an 1:45 cut with subplots gone and some of the extended cut material slotted in to glue the story together and then BvS might be worth watching with friends on the couch to riff on it.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 7, 2016

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

marvel movies are good. dc movies suck.

it's a cine d post

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Bro Dad posted:

it's a cine d post

this poo poo's gonna get impossible to follow once the Suicide Squad thread starts going on about what an underrated gem it is

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Marvel Movies are not that good, lets be real here

At best most of them are like "not very bad" and then you forget about them

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We know no one gives a gently caress.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Millions of people care insanely hard about superhero movies actually

also ghostbusters, apparently

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zzulu posted:

but when you look them as a group, and the dc films as a group, hoo boy those fuckin marvel moves are BRILLIANT

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Let's re-frame:

The Marvel movies found a way to make Hawkeye, the Falcon, Ant-Man, Thor, Vision and the Guardians of the Galaxy work on-screen with most people while being astoundingly faithful to their comic counterparts.

The DC movies struggle to reach general approval with Batman, Superman, and the Joker both relative to their comics counterparts and as original interpretations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
e: wrong thread

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 7, 2016

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Ok I actually saw suicide squad today and it was an enjoyable romp with some mistakes here and there. Also Jared Leto is a piss idiot joker.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Any movie with a 2.5 hour, let alone 3 hour, running time has to be a tightly packed, spellbinding experience to just not feel too goddamn long. Adding 30 minutes to BvS to add clarity, to me, is like throwing more garbage on top of a trash fire to smother it and feeling proud when it goes from flaming intensely to merely guttering toxic smoke constantly.

E: I want an 1:45 cut with subplots gone and some of the extended cut material slotted in to glue the story together and then BvS might be worth watching with friends on the couch to riff on it.

Here's the thing with BvS - it's like 3 movies mashed into one

You got the death of superman arc with doomsday

The dark knight returns sort of fight between BvS

The intro to a Darkseid invasion or something, where Lex comes in, and related to this is the whole "What if superman goes crazy lets judge him"

And also shades of the Injustice comic, with a dream where Superman is crazy because Lois died

And also they had to introduce the Justice League and Wonder Woman

It's a fuxking mess

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

The DC movies struggle to reach general approval with Batman, Superman, and the Joker both relative to their comics counterparts and as original interpretations.

I dunno, I think if you manage to alienate both your die hard fans AND new viewers then you did a pretty consistent job, that's gotta count for something :shrug:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Zzulu posted:

A lot comes down to direction. So far the ones the Russos have put out have been head and shoulders above the rest

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Here's the thing with BvS - it's like 3 movies mashed into one

You got the death of superman arc with doomsday

The dark knight returns sort of fight between BvS

The intro to a Darkseid invasion or something, where Lex comes in, and related to this is the whole "What if superman goes crazy lets judge him"

And also shades of the Injustice comic, with a dream where Superman is crazy because Lois died

And also they had to introduce the Justice League and Wonder Woman

It's a fuxking mess

The real funny bit is that all 4 stories are overrated as balls.

1. Death of Superman is a terrible story from top to bottom, even if the new faces in Reign of the Supermen were baller.

2. The Dark Knight Returns is important and not bad but it's also very much an "oh you're that kind-of guy" stories where you have to be super in-touch with your inner 14 year-old (to be charitable) or the kind-of person who is a little too forgiving of George Zimmerman (to not be charitable).

3. DC has been embarrasingly stubborn about trying to make "Justice League vs. Darkseid" this classic "thing" (they're totally not chasing Infinity Gauntlet's coattails guys stop asking) even though they never have a more sophisticated plot other than "Space Hitler comes to town and the Justice League hits him real hard."

4. Ok Injustice is actually kind-of fun, but in this deliberately trashy knowing way where you only try to play it straight if you've got a real hard-on for making Superman look bad (oh hey Zach Snyder what are you doing here you don't hate Superman do you?)

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

A lot comes down to direction. So far the ones the Russos have put out have been head and shoulders above the rest

I maintain that Kenneth Brannagh's first Thor is underrated as hell. Dutch angles be damnded, dude managed to sell a character that BSS used to say was an impossible adaptation 10 years ago without changing everything too far from the Kirby aesthetic.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

mind the walrus posted:

I maintain that Kenneth Brannagh's first Thor is underrated as hell. Dutch angles be damnded, dude managed to sell a character that BSS used to say was an impossible adaptation 10 years ago without changing everything too far from the Kirby aesthetic.

No kidding. I really expected the only way it would work was if Thor was some super powered mentally ill hobo out of nowhere who believed he was the god of thunder, and carried around a homemade big rear end hammer. Kind of a delusional Hancock. But somehow they managed to stay close to the source and still pulled off a serviceable fun action movie.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

mind the walrus posted:

Here's a sort of take on Krypton in both films versions of it: It never really feels like we should care this culture has been destroyed and lost forever. Everyone but Jor-El seems like an rear end in a top hat that has it coming.

I don't know if there's a good way to present Krypton's destruction as a tragedy that just their hubris and complacency destroyed, though, rather than being jerks. Maybe it's just that before the Reeve's take on Krypton, there was a sense that it was a culture of art, science, wonderment, etc. They'd created a little slice of perfection that their own isolationism and order kept in that state, that there was nothing wrong, but their inability to accept a chaotic event beyond their control helped to ultimately doom them to extinction.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I'm probably not the only one who has the opinion that a Darkseid/New Gods movie will have to the same as Brannagh's Thor to do any justice.
In fact they really should introduce Darkseid and Orion, Mr. Miracle and Big Barda in their own movie and then connect them to Superman, etc. later instead of shoehorning it as a subplot over multiple films.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No no see "Space Hitler comes to town and the Justice League hits him real hard" is a much better plot because

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Neurosis posted:

holy poo poo suicide squad was bad. i liked man of steel and b v s but that was ungodly awful. and not in a way that can be salvaged by editing; sure, there were 3 films rattling around in there and the direction felt conflicting, but all of the styles and directions were bad.

Pretty much where Im at too. I love MoS and BvS.

Im a weirdo who finds Zack Snyders mix of art school pretension and Michael Bay spectacle(flaws and all) incredibly endearing, but Suicide Squad was loving terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if they managed to get a good screenplay, cast and director (which is supremely unlikely) the studio execs would still gently caress everything up.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

No no see "Space Hitler comes to town and the Justice League hits him real hard" is a much better plot because

we already know how that ends

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The real problem with Batman vs. Superman is that it takes an hour for the first confrontation and that was basically over a fender bender, and then another hour before they actually fight and one of the guys didn't want to actually fight. Kind of lacking in the Vs. department

It was more Clark Kent vs. Batman and even then it was just Perry running around saying "WHERE THE HELL IS KENT" a bunch of times

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

No kidding. I really expected the only way it would work was if Thor was some super powered mentally ill hobo out of nowhere who believed he was the god of thunder, and carried around a homemade big rear end hammer. Kind of a delusional Hancock.

I would have loved this. Hyper Bonus if he was actually black.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

Here's a sort of take on Krypton in both films versions of it: It never really feels like we should care this culture has been destroyed and lost forever. Everyone but Jor-El seems like an rear end in a top hat that has it coming.

I don't know if there's a good way to present Krypton's destruction as a tragedy that just their hubris and complacency destroyed, though, rather than being jerks. Maybe it's just that before the Reeve's take on Krypton, there was a sense that it was a culture of art, science, wonderment, etc. They'd created a little slice of perfection that their own isolationism and order kept in that state, that there was nothing wrong, but their inability to accept a chaotic event beyond their control helped to ultimately doom them to extinction.

The best way to present the destruction of Krypton is the way Siegel and Shuster did:

He works a whole lot better as immigrant/messiah if you just don't put a bunch of specific poo poo in his backstory but DC kept spackling on more and more dumb bullshit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can pick and choose elements, you know. just because the kryptonian birthing matrix was canon for a while doesn't mean every superman origin story is obliged to keep that horseshit in.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I truly and deeply hate the Ultimates but aside from Samuel L. Nick Fury, Homeless Thor was the best thing out of it.

Ooh they could do a black Thunderstrike with this origin.

Flesh Forge posted:

The best way to present the destruction of Krypton is the way Siegel and Shuster did:

He works a whole lot better as immigrant/messiah if you just don't put a bunch of specific poo poo in his backstory but DC kept spackling on more and more dumb bullshit.

I agree with that to a point. I do like the idea of making it this romantic "lost place" that was only really lost because they were too comfortable to take warning signs seriously.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah. I'm impressed they pulled it off, but I think my imaginary version could have been great in the hands of a good screenwriter.

mind the walrus posted:

Homeless Thor was the best thing out of it.

Wait. That was actually a thing?

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 8, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Krypton and kryptonians are so horrible that even Superman thinks that they had their chance and should remain extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, in mos at least his space dad wanted him to go out and do good. earth dad hated the idea of helping anyone, ever.

• Locked thread