Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

THANK you. Nobody wants to play Gungans vs War Droids using Napoleonic tactics.

Give me... a Necromunda type game with gangs of smugglers, bounty hunters, and Rebel/Imperial Academy washouts. If anyone wanted to have a Jedi on their team, remind them how much money Jedi are worth dead, though I could see having a hero/leader character who seems just a bit *too* lucky. Maybe once in a while you'd run into an NPC Jedi you'd have to work with your enemies to take down, only to face each other afterwards to see who gets the loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
That's awesome - and how most fights with instant-death swords would play out.. but I still maintain the 'Betrayed' fight is a better cinematic fight :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I still maintain that the Knights of the Fallen Empire trailer is one of the best Star Wars films made. The game may not be great, but the cutscenes made for it are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A

Yeah a war game in the Galactic Civil War era doesn't do anything for me, but I'd love to see a wargame set in the Old Republic era. Especially with Zakuul as a third faction. I love all the designs, and I think all three factions are in that grey area where you can root for them but they are bad the same time. (I actually really like the Sith Empire especially compared to Palpie's Empire but that might be because you can play a 'good' Sith.)

Anyway point is the Zakuul armor is awesome, you'd have hordes of Jedi vs Hordes of Sith v hordes of Knights of Zakuul, with the badass ground pounders alongside them. Just someone do something with TOR era stuff and minis.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Whenever I see more than two lightsabers on screen I start vomiting uncontrollably. I guess if you're a big fat goon who is using purging as a radical new method of weight loss any of those youtube vids would be the greatest thing ever, but to me they look like garbage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Renfield posted:

That's awesome - and how most fights with instant-death swords would play out.. but I still maintain the 'Betrayed' fight is a better cinematic fight :)

is the betrayed fight the end of Revenge because lmao there's no fuckin way unless your only metric is "what's got the flashier attacks/bigger set pieces"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
what's a better cinematic fight, a dude jackin off furiously to kurosawa movies or a bunch of fuckin cgi bullshit with no actual weight to it but its got some flashy flips and poo poo

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Renfield posted:

I agree, I like the KotFE trailer for the narrative mostly, but Deceived does have the better fight. Deceived isn't bad on narrative either though and the flow between Return -> Hope -> Deceived is kind of cool.

Eimi posted:

Yeah a war game in the Galactic Civil War era doesn't do anything for me, but I'd love to see a wargame set in the Old Republic era. Especially with Zakuul as a third faction. I love all the designs, and I think all three factions are in that grey area where you can root for them but they are bad the same time. (I actually really like the Sith Empire especially compared to Palpie's Empire but that might be because you can play a 'good' Sith.)

Anyway point is the Zakuul armor is awesome, you'd have hordes of Jedi vs Hordes of Sith v hordes of Knights of Zakuul, with the badass ground pounders alongside them. Just someone do something with TOR era stuff and minis.

SWTOR does have a lot of examples of ground based units and precedent for massed battles, I dig it. 15mm would be pretty awesome considering the huge mass of everything all the factions had back then and the amount of massive planetary invasions.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Whenever I see more than two lightsabers on screen I start vomiting uncontrollably. I guess if you're a big fat goon who is using purging as a radical new method of weight loss any of those youtube vids would be the greatest thing ever, but to me they look like garbage.

It sounds like you have an acute case of lasersword-itis and should probably just avoid Star Wars altogether.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Name me a good Star Wars movie where you ever see more than two lightsabers at one time.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's fine if you got Star Wars PTSD from the prequel trilogy, but there's plenty of Star Wars media with multiple lightsabers at one time that is fun & good. Generalizing the poor quality of 3 films onto everything else based on an arbitrary aspect of those films is not a very fair way to proceed in a conversation, more so when you begin with it as the limiting criteria.

Maybe you should avoid Star Wars altogether?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

I'm building a Kingdoms of Men army using Imperial Assault figures. Does this meet your requirements?

PICTURES

Bedlamdan posted:

Clone Troopers are awesome because they were forced to kill the Jedi Commanders they genuinely liked, stuck with premature aging due to their nature as flash-grown clones, and screwed by their government once they were no longer needed.

So they're an entire race of Solid Snakes.

You have made me fall in love with them all over again.

Eimi posted:

And I am now a Zakuul fan boy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's fine if you got Star Wars PTSD from the prequel trilogy, but there's plenty of Star Wars media with multiple lightsabers at one time that is fun & good. Generalizing the poor quality of 3 films onto everything else based on an arbitrary aspect of those films is not a very fair way to proceed in a conversation, more so when you begin with it as the limiting criteria.

Have you ever seen a Kurosawa film? Seven samurai has a bunch of them taking lightsabers katanas out at once. I just don't think we've had that in star wars yet. e: there was probably some sloppy attempt at it with the clone wars stuff

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 7, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

someone have the "I DONT LIKE THING" comic?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Have you ever seen a Kurosawa film? Seven samurai has a bunch of them taking lightsabers katanas out at once. I just don't think we've had that in star wars yet. e: there was probably some sloppy attempt at it with the clone wars stuff

Hidden Fortress would have been the better ref here

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's posts like these that make me assume most people don't understand cinema as a visual language or basic storytelling. Knights of the Old Republic is a fine video game and it has lightsabers all over the place, but that's a necessity of the game mechanics and it's downright silly at times. But being silly doesn't make something a bad video game. Those cinematics are ridiculous and boring because it's just a bunch of nobodies swinging colored sticks at each other. I can't watch them and think they're the best anything, especially not in the context of the Star Wars films.

People talk about how the prequels had good choreography but lacked emotional weight, but they're missing something fundamental. The emotional weight is literally the only thing that mattered. The lightsaber is special. In Lucas's original description, it's like Excalibur. Swinging it is supposed to have weight, literal and figurative. When you have dozens of them at once being wielded by characters we know nothing about there's no investment from the viewer. People swinging swords at each other is not inherently cool, and if you think so, it's not me who has the problem, it's you. And that's literally why Michael Bay exists. It's OK to like a thing and if you like cinematic trash because it's flashy, there's an entire industry of movies dedicated to you.

There are four Star Wars movies that never have more than two sabers present at the same time. These four are head and shoulders better than the three that have sabers all over the drat place (even if you don't like the most recent, it's still better than the prequels). No, it's not specifically the saber count that makes things better or worse; they're just a symptom. But it is the lack of restraint and a complete misunderstanding of what makes duels interesting that is the root cause of some much of the EU garbage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Michael Bay rules though

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Historical epics are also cool and good. Seeing thousands of extras, cgi or not, swing swords and spears around owns and is great to watch. :colbert:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eimi posted:

Historical epics are also cool and good. Seeing thousands of extras, cgi or not, swing swords and spears around owns and is great to watch. :colbert:

Extras fundamentally shouldn't have lightsabers, is his point.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eimi posted:

Thats the problem. If you have thousands of extras swinging lightsabers, they are just swords now. Its no item out of myth or legend, literally anyone with hands can and will wip out a lightsaber. The less restraint you have with them the more they are devalued. Ironically this is similiar to the Stormfront Eternals. If literally all of your soldiers are immortal super being in giant gold super armour then its not special anymore. Theres no individuality or myth or inspiration behind someone drawing a weapon, nobody is shocked or excited. Its just like a bunch of people in a gunfight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's posts like these that make me assume most people don't understand cinema as a visual language or basic storytelling. Knights of the Old Republic is a fine video game and it has lightsabers all over the place, but that's a necessity of the game mechanics and it's downright silly at times. But being silly doesn't make something a bad video game. Those cinematics are ridiculous and boring because it's just a bunch of nobodies swinging colored sticks at each other. I can't watch them and think they're the best anything, especially not in the context of the Star Wars films.

People talk about how the prequels had good choreography but lacked emotional weight, but they're missing something fundamental. The emotional weight is literally the only thing that mattered. The lightsaber is special. In Lucas's original description, it's like Excalibur. Swinging it is supposed to have weight, literal and figurative. When you have dozens of them at once being wielded by characters we know nothing about there's no investment from the viewer. People swinging swords at each other is not inherently cool, and if you think so, it's not me who has the problem, it's you. And that's literally why Michael Bay exists. It's OK to like a thing and if you like cinematic trash because it's flashy, there's an entire industry of movies dedicated to you.

There are four Star Wars movies that never have more than two sabers present at the same time. These four are head and shoulders better than the three that have sabers all over the drat place (even if you don't like the most recent, it's still better than the prequels). No, it's not specifically the saber count that makes things better or worse; they're just a symptom. But it is the lack of restraint and a complete misunderstanding of what makes duels interesting that is the root cause of some much of the EU garbage.
This was brought to my attention when you make a comparison of, for example, the battle between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan in Episode I and the battle between Luke and Darth Vader in RotJ. In RotJ Luke becomes emotional and aggressively attacks Darth Vader, and basically beats him down with his anger (which is the entire point of the fight and makes it highly emotionally charged).

In Episode I, Obi-Wan watches Qui-Gon die, screams in pain aaaaand...

...returns to doing the highly choreographed flippy lightsaber fight that was present in the rest of the fight :geno:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Literally The Worst posted:

Michael Bay rulesd though

please don't troll

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It would be fine to have tons of sabers if the movies were set in some romantic Sengoku period of sith vs jedi that KOTOR and all the other EU materal loves to talk about, but the movies are very clearly not set in that period. The prequels tried to be set in some sort of Meiji period that abolished the role of the samurai jedi, but they goofed up there too. There could have been some emotional weight given to an entire "the last samurai" movie that culminates final battle with tons of lightsabers being used and shut off, never to be used again, but instead we got the lame order 66 scenes. Like, we didn't even know who most of those dudes were instead of knowing that the blue guy loved to play music with the force or the smiling green guy loved to write poems about his visions or something.

Of course, none of this deals with the podracing, the only cool and good parts of the prequels.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Atlas Hugged posted:

'Deceived' is an end cap to a story that begins here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4JEZudf0c, with 'Return,' and the whole sequence showcases one of SWTOR's principle characters, Darth Malgus. Points:

- It's about a character, Malgus. 'Return' is him ascending to power over his master, 'Hope' is him being beaten back by the former Padawan he clowned in 'Return,' herself now a Knight confident in her power, 'Deceived' is really a denouement, Malgus triumphing over the Jedi using the strength in the force and high-powered Sith business marketing (non-Sith agents and bounty hunters!) he's acquired.

- 'Return' probably has the best fight choreography out of the trio. Laser swords here are the means for the characters to showcase their traits: Malgus fights with purposeful, direct strikes backed by his training and informed by his anger. Padawan Shan, not yet in her own element, fights using flourishes taught by her Master, Darach. She gets clowned on by Malgus for trying this with him. Darach and the Inquisitor Vindican are old guard and confident, fighting with ripostes, lunges, and flourishes, as if fencing. Vindican is kind of a lovely fighter though and Darach lures Vindican into fighting without heed to his hidden third laser sword blade.

- This is the precursor to SWTOR. For all the game's faults, Malgus is great character and the narrative of the Sith power structure turning against him for trying to unify and reform is pretty dang good. The Sith Warrior storyline is markedly one of the best because it plays with the themes Malgus develops along the game.

- The whole 3 advertisement sequence has a poo poo ton of lightsabers, so you'll probably throw up

I'm naming all these dudes so you realize that they actually are characters. They have personalities, and the cutscenes, while not astounding objects d'art, do a decent job of explaining and highlighting key aspects of people who are movers and shakers in the SWTOR story line. Their laser swords aren't unique and this is not an issue; they are used as extensions of their characters.

And enough defending someone else's example, the trailer I actually posted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A) is a different beast entirely. It treats lightsabers as symbolism though, so I'm not sure it meets your Star Wars criteria.

tl;dr: Just because three movies didn't engage lightsabers as a thematic or character device and had a ton of lightsabers does not mean other parts of the franchise don't engage lightsabers as a thematic or character device just because they have lots of lightsabers, and it's silly to generalize based on the one aspect you're stuck on. The prequels are bad because they don't actually have any characters, not because they don't treat the laser swords with the respect they are due as Lucas' hero's journey plot devices.

Bonus, if you want to throw up, 5 swords between two people in the best narrative deconstruction of Star Wars made. Traya has 3 of the fuckers specifically to highlight how unimportant they are to the compelling aspects of the franchise (struggle, internal conflict expressing into the external, difficult emotions, etc.)

Nancy fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 7, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
sorry, mate, literally anything from the TOR-era of star wars is derivative garbage (malgus is darth vader with a half mask and a hood), the sacrifice trailer is basically incomprehensible imagery to someone who has no idea what TOR is (beyond some cheap 'the one in white is the bad guy but normally black is the bad guy color!!' twistery) and KOTOR2 is one of the most overhyped attempts at being 'intelligent' about a series which is intended for children ('guys, get this, what if we destroyed the force?')

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Milky Moor posted:

sorry, mate, literally anything from the TOR-era of star wars is derivative garbage (malgus is darth vader with a half mask and a hood), the sacrifice trailer is basically incomprehensible imagery to someone who has no idea what TOR is (beyond some cheap 'the one in white is the bad guy but normally black is the bad guy color!!' twistery) and KOTOR2 is one of the most overhyped attempts at being 'intelligent' about a series which is intended for children ('guys, get this, what if we destroyed the force?')

Fair enough, you don't have to see value in the things that I do :shrug: I just think getting stuck on lightsabers is silly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Now do Age of Sigmar.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While i like those cinematics for being incredibly Star Wars (original three films), I am stupidly annoyed by 'Return'. It has far too many things that make you think "hey, that's so familiar!"
Why does there have to be a smarmy smuggler with a speedy transport that looks like a box with guns top and bottom? Why does that same smuggler with that same ship have to make a super risky maneuver through, what amounts to, a crawl space? Why is there always a droid somewhere, making cute 'beep, boop' sounds? Why does the older Jedi have to die first? Why can't the young one die and the master go on a mission for redemption? Why are the Sith always outwardly evil? Is there a race of red devil men somewhere that everyone's just super loving racist towards? Are all human Sith Albinos? Can Sith only enjoy black and red as a fashion choice?
There's not enough originality to it, i guess is what i'm trying to say. 'Hope' is good, though. That had some originality to it, in the scope of Star Wars, to me. I was cheering for the helmetless hero every time he did something. Especially when trying to stab a space wizard, with a pocket knife, through lightning. And again, when willing to explode said space wizard with a grenade, that he was still holding onto.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, KOTOR2 is the ultimate edgelord take on Star Wars that basically says "man why couldn't Star Wars just be Firefly".

Also what i've seen of the old republic stuff in general strikes me as taking it way over the top. The things the jedi are able to do remind me of the stupidity of Vader Down. Since you know Vader is never going to be killed in the comic, the fact that he annihilates a huge rebel army just comes off as trying way too hard. Why the gently caress did Vader even need poo poo like the imperial fleet or anything if he could do this all on his own?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Irate Tree posted:

While i like those cinematics for being incredibly Star Wars (original three films), I am stupidly annoyed by 'Return'. It has far too many things that make you think "hey, that's so familiar!"
Why does there have to be a smarmy smuggler with a speedy transport that looks like a box with guns top and bottom? Why does that same smuggler with that same ship have to make a super risky maneuver through, what amounts to, a crawl space? Why is there always a droid somewhere, making cute 'beep, boop' sounds? Why does the older Jedi have to die first? Why can't the young one die and the master go on a mission for redemption? Why are the Sith always outwardly evil? Is there a race of red devil men somewhere that everyone's just super loving racist towards? Are all human Sith Albinos? Can Sith only enjoy black and red as a fashion choice?
There's not enough originality to it, i guess is what i'm trying to say. 'Hope' is good, though. That had some originality to it, in the scope of Star Wars, to me. I was cheering for the helmetless hero every time he did something. Especially when trying to stab a space wizard, with a pocket knife, through lightning. And again, when willing to explode said space wizard with a grenade, that he was still holding onto.

Because people mistake the aesthetic of Star Wars and the things in the Star Wars universe for what makes the Star Wars trilogy a fun series of films. They forget that movies are a collaborative effort where all the little aspects like writing, directing, acting, cinematography, and so on all add up to be greater than the whole. Lucas himself forgot that and it's why the prequels are so awful.

Thing of it is, nostalgia is a hell of a drug and a lot of franchise media gets away with being bad to mediocre just because people see things they're familiar with and remember liking the source.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Atlas Hugged posted:

Name me a good Star Wars movie where you ever see more than two lightsabers at one time.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When is Age of Sigmar 40k happening?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

someone have the "I DONT LIKE THING" comic?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Irate Tree posted:

Almost every SW property jumps through the same hoops. Technology in this universe has apparently changed little in thousands of years, and this whole Empire vs Rebel Dudes business apparently repeats every couple decades or so. Really the main difference between Old Repbulic and normal Star Wars is that their Not-R2s are a bit bigger. There are also more melee weapons in general because Old Repbulic is based on D&D 3.X.

Chill la Chill posted:

Of course, none of this deals with the podracing, the only cool and good parts of the prequels.

Is there a Gorkamorka conversion?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the combat racing games would work better than G'mork.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wanna pet that snake

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep8zPCfMB1Q with star wars instead of 40k and solely use in-universe explanations instead of film considerations. In 3 parts too, please.

Doresh posted:

Is there a Gorkamorka conversion?
I like to think that the boba fett crew card in x-wing is the equivalent of throwing your wrench at someone's engine during a race.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That guy's voice is irritating as gently caress.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was it the overly familiar greeting or that he tells you upfront that he likes to use this topic as an introduction to the 40k universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5PHxHxq-M if you want to go down the rabbit hole

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

goatface posted:

That guy's voice is irritating as gently caress.

The dude sounds like every 40k superfan I know trying to explain its superiority to every other setting and how deep and cool everything is and why cant every game be 40k themed

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

goatface posted:

I think one of the combat racing games would work better than G'mork.

This was actually in development for the Dreamcast at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This was actually in development for the Dreamcast at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLhrTw-wgA

• Locked thread