Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Has anybody seen the DE folks talking up Dracula? Given their love of cruelty and hatred of Muslims you'd think an autocrat renowned for impaling Turks would be a hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Witcher 3 knocks it out of the park. Anyway,So does irl Kane(Owen I think) actually believe half the sad poo poo he screeches about. He is just the most pathetic gently caress out of all the alt righters. Dude tries so hard to be edgy and "intellectual" it's not even funny. You can tell he feels insecure as gently caress.

He had a blog where he wrote a long post about his history with depression and the times he came closest to killing himself, saying that if anyone he knew was in a similar place they shouldn't hesitate to contact him because he would talk to them and get them help even if he didn't know them that well--that he was only alive now because others helped him when he was at his lowest and moments from attempting suicide.

His next post was accusing Paul Feig of being too feminized to direct a Ghostbusters movie because he over-identified with his mother as a child and therefore never developed a stable sense of masculinity, complete with citations from ex-gay therapists. He is so pathetic in his transparent projection and failed masculinity that I can't hate him, yet he is scum and I want to bully him so, so badly.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jack Gladney posted:

He had a blog where he wrote a long post about his history with depression and the times he came closest to killing himself, saying that if anyone he knew was in a similar place they shouldn't hesitate to contact him because he would talk to them and get them help even if he didn't know them that well--that he was only alive now because others helped him when he was at his lowest and moments from attempting suicide.

His next post was accusing Paul Feig of being too feminized to direct a Ghostbusters movie because he over-identified with his mother as a child and therefore never developed a stable sense of masculinity, complete with citations from ex-gay therapists. He is so pathetic in his transparent projection and failed masculinity that I can't hate him, yet he is scum and I want to bully him so, so badly.

Yeah he's always going to be a fascinating subject to me because I'll always wonder what prevented me from turning out like him :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Darth Walrus posted:

This does raise an interesting question, though - how do you smoothly integrate a story, let alone a dramatic one, with sandbox gameplay? Has any game managed this?

The good Assassin's Creed games do it by having the games take place over several years (or decades).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Haven't played it so I wouldn't know

Makes sense though

ChipCheezum and General Ironicus did a let's play that made it about as fun as it's possible to make it and it was still incredibly stupid and boring and about twice as long as the story needed to be for no reason. There's like one genuinely kinda clever fun thing you can do with hacking mechanic but within two minutes the game's like NOPE TIME'S UP GET BACK IN YOUR CAR AND RESUME PLAYING THIS LIKE A BORING GTA CLONE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also the game tries to be ~real, mannn~ by having these "privacy invasion" parts where you hack people's webcams and spy on them for no reason and every single one is the edgiest edgelord garbage, like "look this guy just murdered a prostitute" or "it's an old guy whose been dead for three days and nobody noticed"

Here's their compilation of the left-over ones once the LP was almost over:
http://youtu.be/cZZ5gjlL8LQ?t=985

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Aug 7, 2016

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Meanwhile in YouTube land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28okPKlSP2I

Can someone explain to me why Atheism always seems to attract Reactionaries?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM8P-STF3kw

Two minutes into this vid, Im hoping he goes pulls the Racial IQ Card :allears:

EDITx2: AWWW MAN, just the generic Meritocracy card with "If you like Africa so much why dont you go back there :downs:!" edgelord poo poo

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Aug 7, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pope Guilty posted:

Has anybody seen the DE folks talking up Dracula? Given their love of cruelty and hatred of Muslims you'd think an autocrat renowned for impaling Turks would be a hit.
Dracula has some problems for these guys.

The historical Dracula was a devout Christian, and while he did kill a shitload of Muslims, he also killed a shitload of the petty nobility and merchant class in his lands, and I suspect most DE people correctly identify themselves as cognate to this class in society. He also had at least some dedication to the public welfare; while they might approve of the stories of him burning the poor alive, his opposition to the boyar class made him a public hero and he is well loved in the region, even today.

The novel's Dracula has three women with him, seduces an Englishman of significant learning and middle-class upbringing (again, a logical identification figure for the DE person), travels to England, cuckolds both an English lord and the man he seduced, leads them on a merry chase, and - according to the stated rules of the tale itself - does not actually die at the end of the story, and may, thus, still exist. It would thus be unwise of the DE folks to call his attention.

That said, it is entirely likely that Peter Thiel is floating a trial balloon for a plan to resurrect Dracula and, perhaps, summon forth Castlevania once more. Should this prove to be the case, we should keep in mind that it is not by his will that he is once again given flesh; he would have been brought forth by STEMlords who wished to pay him tribute.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
FUN FACT:

https://twitter.com/creationistcat/status/616300888626438144

Practically every single person in this twitter TL is human garbage :v:

EDIT: https://twitter.com/BleuDaemon_/status/619006079872167936

:suicide:

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Aug 7, 2016

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't the Ottomans also beat his rear end like 5 times then behead him like a punk bitch in the end

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Magnusth posted:

The protagonist literally claims that the only difference between the rebel leader and the prophet who deliberately designed a racist hellhole a their names. And also, the place is young enough that everyone living there deliberately chose to live in the most racist place on earth, where people hold raffles with the prize being "stone interracial couples to death"

Sorry, but when was Booker supposed to be portrayed as being right about anything? What I took away from that story was that he was a broken, cruel shitstain who was only kept vaguely in check by the guilt he belatedly felt over past transgressions- which only let him feel catharsis, rather than actively prompting him to do good in future. The idea that the revolution is equal to what it overthrew, just because it happens to be violent, is exactly the sort of black-and-white thinking that you would expect from someone like him. He's a monstrous example of humanity who thinks him feeling bad about things is sufficient punishment for his sins. The only reason he's a "hero" is because the group he's going up against is even worse. Hence why the very idea of an easier form of forgiveness turned him straight-up evil.

Booker is an evil, evil man, but the game doesn't present him as anything else.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
People are probably correctly noting that the storytelling is a convoluted yet facile mess and so reasonably don't give the writers enough credit for that scene to be anything but the character as authorial mouthpiece.

Also iirc in the scene we're talking about, it's before any Reign of Terror stuff when Elizabeth expresses some hope and admiration for the Vox. Part of their dynamic as characters is that she's a naive sheltered child and he's a gruff worldly substitute father figure who hints her in about what's up. So.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Somfin posted:

Sorry, but when was Booker supposed to be portrayed as being right about anything? What I took away from that story was that he was a broken, cruel shitstain who was only kept vaguely in check by the guilt he belatedly felt over past transgressions- which only let him feel catharsis, rather than actively prompting him to do good in future. The idea that the revolution is equal to what it overthrew, just because it happens to be violent, is exactly the sort of black-and-white thinking that you would expect from someone like him. He's a monstrous example of humanity who thinks him feeling bad about things is sufficient punishment for his sins. The only reason he's a "hero" is because the group he's going up against is even worse. Hence why the very idea of an easier form of forgiveness turned him straight-up evil.

Booker is an evil, evil man, but the game doesn't present him as anything else.

This. I also took him saying the stuff because Elizabeth thought it was going to be some beautiful thing like la miserable. Booker is a broken barely functioning dickhead. They only reason he is at all is because he got his brains scrambled by the intial tear by the luteses.

Jesus daemon is a bigoted dipshit. But I think creationist cat was insulting someone. Not agreeing with roosh.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The good Assassin's Creed games do it by having the games take place over several years (or decades).

Yeah the asscreeds are pretty good. Despite the unity fuckups. Also they have always been pretty progressive in good smart ways.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
To get back on topic, let us all remember the time Matt Forney threw a fit over Karl Marx being in an Asscreed game .

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lol did he? I never followed forney partially because they get me overly mad and because I can't tell them apart anymore. Marx is like a side quests dude in the game and that's it. What he say about new Star Wars?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Lol did he? I never followed forney partially because they get me overly mad and because I can't tell them apart anymore. Marx is like a side quests dude in the game and that's it. What he say about new Star Wars?
https://www.righton.net/2015/12/21/social-justice-wars/

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The NRx guys collectively are a bunch of Renfields looking for their Dracula, but Milo is perhaps the Renfieldiest of them all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sax Solo posted:

The NRx guys collectively are a bunch of Renfields looking for their Dracula, but Milo is perhaps the Renfieldiest of them all.

I won't hear the good name of Tom Waits soiled like this!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jesus what a nut job.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's just mad there isn't an AssCreed game where you help out Hitler.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You're supposed to like Booker and agree with him, otherwise the "twist" would have zero emotional impact.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

He's just mad there isn't an AssCreed game where you help out Hitler.

On a related note, I love the recurring alt-right debate of a blogger comparing feminists, or SJWs, or melonheaded Jewluminati Progs to Hitler, and Alt-Right commenters on the blog getting angry at the implicit insult to the Fuhrer

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Race Realists posted:

Can someone explain to me why Atheism always seems to attract Reactionaries?

At least for the American ones, it's probably due to the fact that our culture has a strong Christian bias, so going atheist is the obvious 'anti-culture' move if you don't bother to think about it too much. Reactionaries in general tend to have pretty bad analysis skills and poor reactions to lies-to-children elementary school education, and go on a backlash against these when they hit the teenager years that they never grow out of; going aggressive atheist is an outgrowth of that, in the same way that libertarianism is a backlash against having to pay taxes. It also probably helps that a lot of prominent atheists are kind of obnoxious, Dawkins et al are not the greatest heroes to have.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

kvx687 posted:

Dawkins et al are not the greatest heroes to have.

Dawkins is a saint compared to the current crop of popular YouTube "rationalists."

I personally blame the "reals before feels" crowd for playing into reactionary hands.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Lady Naga posted:

You're supposed to like Booker and agree with him, otherwise the "twist" would have zero emotional impact.

This attitude right here is why interesting stories are such a rarity in video games. I'm sorry that genuine anti-heroes are so challenging.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Somfin posted:

This attitude right here is why interesting stories are such a rarity in video games. I'm sorry that genuine anti-heroes are so challenging.

This. Not every story will work but if you poo poo on every single one it gets retarded. I saw an article talking about how gears of war endorsed genoside and American imperialism and how the locust did nothing wrong and some how represented the Middle East and were compared to the nazi propaganda about the Jews. Idk wtf to think sometimes. While there are a lot of interesting critiques about media. There are a ton of horseshit ones like that.

Dapper_Swindler has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Aug 7, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Not every story will work but if you poo poo on every single one it gets retarded. I saw an article talking about how gears of war endorsed genoside and American imperialism and how the locust did nothing wrong and some how represented the Middle East and were compared to the nazi propaganda about the Jews. Idk wtf to think sometimes. While there are a lot of interesting critiques about media. There are a ton of horseshit ones like that.

One can argue that policy-wise Hitler did nothing wrong (“how do you do, fellow Nazis?”) but on a personal level he failed to impregnate Eva, and at the end of the day, passing one’s genes in good condition is what’s life’s all about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

One can argue that policy-wise Hitler did nothing wrong (“how do you do, fellow Nazis?”) but on a personal level he failed to impregnate Eva, and at the end of the day, passing one’s genes in good condition is what’s life’s all about.

Arnt there still relatives of hitler in Long Island?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

Please leave the unsourced quotes gimmick to LoB

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Still waiting for your email friend

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not sure about "still", but there were in 2015.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ohio's full of Hitlers. There was a Dr. Gay Hitler giving dental treatment during the War.

That said there's a story about a man going into a recruiting office and saying "How do you do; the name's Hitler" and getting a firm handshake with an answer of, "Glad to meet you; I'm Hess."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Somfin posted:

Lol don't talk down to me you little twerp. It's insulting to actually well-written anti-heroes to consider Ken Levine's brain drippings "challenging".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Your inability to realize that Booker DeWitt's unethical character indicates that he can't correctly gauge whether revolutionaries and prophet-kings of racistopia are moral equals merely shows that you failed the challenge. :smug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Lol don't talk down to me you little twerp. It's insulting to actually well-written anti-heroes to consider Ken Levine's brain drippings "challenging".

I thoughts bioshock 1 was great and has interesting characters. I wonder what broke his brain between that and infinite. I thought a lot of the bad story and lovely themes came from stitching a ton of fragmented ideas, story arcs and themes together over its retardedly long development cycle and never bothered connect them except for screaming "quantum theory" and then nothing mattered at all. People act like it was some malice or some political poo poo, for the vox stuff and other parts of the writing, I take it as them just jamming ideas together from all the cut section and rewrites and adding nothing connection to any of the parts. Basically they half assed it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Levine got high on his own farts and just tried to tackle subjects he wasn't able to write with the sort of nuance they needed. Attribute to stupidity what isn't malice, etc etc

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Levine got high on his own farts and just tried to tackle subjects he wasn't able to write with the sort of nuance they needed. Attribute to stupidity what isn't malice, etc etc

Pretty much. Sad thing is I thought the founders and fink did gilded age bigotry pretty well. It's a more "enlightened" Anglo Saxon league version of awful racism that was popular at the time. To bad it shits itself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have to admit I played Bioshock Infinite without reading any of the criticism at large (since I tend to ignore prior criticism if I feel like playing a game) but I'm genuinely confused at the idea that Booker was a conflicted protagonist. He struck me as a two-dimensional character at best, a blatant wish-fulfilment 'tough guy who's a softy at heart' self-insert. His black-and-white thinking didn't come across as asking us to distance ourselves from him but for us to agree with him. I mean if you think I'm mis-remembering feel free to say so and I'll replay but I don't recall this meta-portrayal of him as anything but trying to rehabilitate a cardboard cut-out character.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I thoughts bioshock 1 was great and has interesting characters. I wonder what broke his brain between that and infinite. I thought a lot of the bad story and lovely themes came from stitching a ton of fragmented ideas, story arcs and themes together over its retardedly long development cycle and never bothered connect them except for screaming "quantum theory" and then nothing mattered at all. People act like it was some malice or some political poo poo, for the vox stuff and other parts of the writing, I take it as them just jamming ideas together from all the cut section and rewrites and adding nothing connection to any of the parts. Basically they half assed it.

FWIW, I don't think anyone's attributing anything to "malice" with these political readings, malice isn't required to present a lovely political worldview. Personally I figured the Vox stuff is the result of speed-reading the Cliff's Notes for A Tale of Two Cities for a hasty reference on "how to write revolution story."

GunnerJ has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Pretty much. Sad thing is I thought the founders and fink did gilded age bigotry pretty well. It's a more "enlightened" Anglo Saxon league version of awful racism that was popular at the time. To bad it shits itself.

Yeah I'm dunking on it but its take on 19th century Victorian class politics/American racism and nationalism was pretty well done, not deep or anything but they magnified it just enough that it wasn't quite over-the-top enough to not be uncomfortable while still being entertaining in a "what the actual gently caress" way. It lost me when it simultaneously ~both sides'd~ it up and starting going down the multiple universe rabbit hole.