Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zaphod42 posted:

2 and Infinite are pretty great too, if only for how original and beautiful they are. Not the best FPS games but just really cool ideas. That's enough for me.

lol what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

axleblaze posted:

Cuphead got extremely delayed because it was supposed to just be a boss rush game but then it unexpectedly got alot of attention and MS made them go back and add actual levels, thus raising the chance that the game will turn out bad significantly

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah people have not been kind to footage of the levels they made. they are looking like very basic platforming type levels and the backgrounds repeat like in a hanna barbara cartoon chase sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Rt7NugRMs

lmao this looks boring as gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no you tricked me into listening to those sound effects again

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, that looks loving awful. It's gonna be so depressing if that game turns out bad.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cuphead has an amazing style that's being wasted on lovely gameplay and that sucks so much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's a shame, I had forgotten of its existence and now I'm sorry I was reminded!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It should have just been like Mickey Mania or something.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mickey Mania was a pretty bad game tbh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should have just made a movie probably

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Mickey Mania was a pretty bad game tbh.

Which was the good Mickey game then? Or have been mistaken and there is no good Mickey game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

Which was the good Mickey game then? Or have been mistaken and there is no good Mickey game.

Castle/World of Illusion for Genesis are good as is Magical Quest for SNES. The recent Castle of Illusion remake was also pretty good (though not amazing)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the cup head bosses will probably be good in a metal slug way. maybe you can unlock boss rush

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Great Circus Mystery and the JP-only 3rd magical quest game are really awesome. Too bad that 3rd one is crazy hard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I enjoyed Mickey Mousecapade a lot as a kid but in hindsight it was probably garbage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I enjoyed Mickey Mousecapade a lot as a kid but in hindsight it was probably garbage.

its a cool looking game with some neat ideas and was probably influential years later but its not a great platformer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Mickey's Magical Quest on SNES is the best Mickey platformer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Zd1ydrMpE

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah the levels look boring. And the explosion animation when things die is waaaay too big and long, they need to tone that poo poo down.

The animation is great but its a game, not a cartoon. Wish it was just a boss rush game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I just ran into (and got owned) by my first zeta metroid and man I'm really liking the direction they took with their designs :allears:

They clearly took some inspiration from this old fanart:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 7, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Mak0rz posted:

man this is disappointing. That game looked great from the previews at E3 last year and I was looking forward to the PC release. The boss battles in that video still look interesting, but the platforming segments look abysmally boring and annoying, like they exist just to break things up between the bosses... which is something they should NOT want! Man, what the heck. :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Lurdiak posted:

Great Circus Mystery and the JP-only 3rd magical quest game are really awesome. Too bad that 3rd one is crazy hard.

It did get a GBA release outside of Japan (along with the first 2) but it's somewhat hard to come by for a decent price now.

Real hurthling! posted:

its a cool looking game with some neat ideas and was probably influential years later but its not a great platformer

I did like how if you didn't level skip all the way to the last level you could power up Minnie and get her up the ladder to fight Pete risk free since she's invincible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The saddest thing about Cuphead is how stunning the art and animation style is. If you didn't know it was a game, then you'd be forgiven thinking it is some throwback to the old Mickey cartoons. There is knowledge and love put into that aspect of it. The gameplay looks so bland and uncertain of itself. Why an infinite firing beam from his finger? Why a thousand enemies per square inch? It's almost like it's a old spaceship shootemup.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just played 45 minutes of A2MR. This is an amazing fan creation completely worthy of the praise it's getting. I recommend everyone unsure to take a peek at it, especially since it's free.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not the worst game I've played, but cool art design (which it definitely has) doesn't make up for weak combat, forgettable levels, and pretty eh writing.

Forgettable levels as opposed to which game, exactly?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

They clearly took some inspiration from this old fanart:

I thought that that was actual art and that original metroid 2 wasn't capable of showcasing the metroids evolutions like they wanted to, with fusion being the first time the t-rex look finally came about

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Grimace posted:

man this is disappointing. That game looked great from the previews at E3 last year and I was looking forward to the PC release. The boss battles in that video still look interesting, but the platforming segments look abysmally boring and annoying, like they exist just to break things up between the bosses... which is something they should NOT want! Man, what the heck. :(

I think you need something to break up the game between the bosses. Like, that's the reason shadow of the colossus makes you ride around the desert between each fight, if you just had to fight them all back-to-back it'd stop being fun and just start being tiring, it's a pacing issue. That platforming does look really bland, though, so maybe they should've done it with like, little walky-talky adventure game segments or something instead. Hopefully they'll have made some good platforming levels by the time they release.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's something deeply unsettling and creepy to me about that 1920s cartoon look.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's not funny at all and I'm laughing at nothing but I'm getting a chuckle out of a fancy restaurant being all like "Come to our cool fancy restaurant for brunch where you can have all these exciting drinks, you can get endless mimosas, or a bloody mary, or all kinds of freshly brewed tea and coffee" and then you get to the food and it's like "breakfast burrito" "breakfast pizza" "scrambled eggs" "pancakes"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't get over how awful the menu looks, its eye vomit.

At least they are not beating around the bush with the names.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

I've discovered the most fun way to play nuclear throne is Steroids (have the golden shot gun on him) and do the 3-3 skip so your runs go way faster

if you're having fun with it then right on but i would really recommend against it. the quality of weapon drops is tied to the number of portals traveled through, so crown vaults + the pizza sewers will cause good weapons to appear sooner and the oasis skip drops that by a lot

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought that that was actual art and that original metroid 2 wasn't capable of showcasing the metroids evolutions like they wanted to, with fusion being the first time the t-rex look finally came about

For reference's sake, the actual art.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nintendo is good at Tumblr

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Forgettable levels as opposed to which game, exactly?
Are you seriously asking for a list of games with good and memorable level design?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Geez, I'm thinking forums user "Ilustforponydeath" might be a bit of a moron!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't like the animation in cuphead

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so the chozo made metroids to combat the x and then they just went. yeah make them dinosaurs too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

oddium posted:

so the chozo made metroids to combat the x and then they just went. yeah make them dinosaurs too.

Wouldn't you?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the Metroid lore is cool

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just woke up and I'm gonna play the mertoid 2 remake

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Grimace posted:

I just played 45 minutes of A2MR. This is an amazing fan creation completely worthy of the praise it's getting. I recommend everyone unsure to take a peek at it, especially since it's free.

What is A2MR? Googling it doesn't help

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

the Metroid lore is cool
The Chozo are extremely awesome, because it's Zelda in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

What is A2MR? Googling it doesn't help

he means am2r whicu is a metroid 2 remake

• Locked thread