Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

yes, that is what Bank is for. it's how Pokemon move between generations now

it will also let you transfer pokemon from the Red/Blue/Yellow VC versions to Sun/Moon

How do they decide which natures Pokémon from rby have? Or are natures in the VC versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Two Feet From Bread posted:

How many of the pokemon games can I digitally download once I get my new 3DS?

You're limited to anything that was released on 3DS, which is X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, as well as the digital rerelease of Gen 1, Red/Blue/Yellow. The DS-only titles are cartridge only, unfortunately.

Once Sun/Moon release, those as well, obviously; in addition if you do end up getting Red/Blue/Yellow you won't be able to trade 'mons to X/Y or ORAS, but apparently you will be able to trade to Sun/Moon via Pokémon Bank once SM releases.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

We have next to no clue how things will be ported up from RBY so just stay tuned for when it actually happens.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There's really no way to transfer items across gens is there? Bummer for all that BP I saved up

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could just have a pokemon hold an item when you trade it up a gen

idk if you can do that for gen 7 tho

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So the starters have a type change gimmick?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Only ever worked for gen 3 -> 4. Blocking item transfers is their way of removing things that were op, like soul dew (came back yeah, but only after the meta's power level caught up), gems, mega Salamence...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

759 Peskool (WATER/PSYCHIC)

an exeggcute-style school of fish... yes thank you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pokemon Bank doesn't hold items and it's pretty likely that's the only way to get pokemon to Sun/Moon

Dabir posted:

Only ever worked for gen 3 -> 4. Blocking item transfers is their way of removing things that were op, like soul dew (came back yeah, but only after the meta's power level caught up), gems, mega Salamence...

God forbid they go back and balance things

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Those sure are a bunch of names some person came up with. At least we only have to wait until Friday for it to be disproved.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Crosspeice posted:

Those sure are a bunch of names some person came up with. At least we only have to wait until Friday for it to be disproved.

good names though

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean... it might be that they don't patch things because they don't want to break battle videos. Every time Smash updates with the slightest tiny little change all your old replays are useless.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dabir posted:

I mean... it might be that they don't patch things because they don't want to break battle videos. Every time Smash updates with the slightest tiny little change all your old replays are useless.

I can (sort of) understand not patching once a game has shipped, but there's no reason they can't do balance changes from gen to gen other than its hard. They already do tweak moves every generation:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_modified_moves#Generation_V_to_Generation_VI_2

Like High Jump Kick slowly just went from 80 power to 130 over multiple gens

And they've buffed pokemon stats sometimes to keep up with the powercreep too. But a lot of the time I think they just don't care that much. Like most of the time their way of balancing a certain pokemon being too strong is to make moves that directly counter it until you get to the point where everything can die in a hit

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They sometimes nerf moves as well, e.g. Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt all got nerefd hetween gen V and VI.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can (sort of) understand not patching once a game has shipped, but there's no reason they can't do balance changes from gen to gen other than its hard. They already do tweak moves every generation:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_modified_moves#Generation_V_to_Generation_VI_2

And they've buffed pokemon stats sometimes to keep up with the powercreep too. But a lot of the time I think they just don't care that much. Like most of the time their way of balancing a certain pokemon being too strong is to make moves that directly counter it until you get to the point where everything can die in a hit

They've buffed pokemon stats once, in gen VI where a bunch of random pokemon got a 10 point boost to one stat (and Pikachu got 15 to both defenses).

I feel like that was a test run for whatever they're planning in Sun/Moon. Gamefreak is absurdly risk-averse.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess but - wait, they buffed loving Lick?

by 10?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

idk sounds pretty fake with the /Various sounding like "lol I don't loving know" but

quote:

763 Mightior (ROCK/FLYING)

I'm loving ready

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Geostomp posted:

So the starters have a type change gimmick?

The leaks are saying they have two forms, depending on either which island they evolve on or what time of day they evolve.

Someone on /vp/ was nice enough to gather all the 'trusted' leaks together. I guess we'll see how much more of these are true on Friday.

Classtoise posted:

idk sounds pretty fake with the /Various sounding like "lol I don't loving know" but

The various refers to things that have different types, similar to the dancing bird.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the cat breeding is looking pretty legit.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Darwisker (Darwin + wisker) :master:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

darwisker is friends with eevee

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Will Fire-type Darwisker be just as bad as Flareon?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Is Goruggla the rugby monkey? I hope so!

Also, Panquake stole Stunfisk's true name.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Dexie posted:

The leaks are saying they have two forms, depending on either which island they evolve on or what time of day they evolve.

Someone on /vp/ was nice enough to gather all the 'trusted' leaks together. I guess we'll see how much more of these are true on Friday.

The various refers to things that have different types, similar to the dancing bird.

Yeah I saw the source and the copy/paster just ignored that the leaker said what types.

Also, that leak picture says "the Z-stones don't cause transformations" but it's totally possible that Mega Stones are the same style?

It's totally possible that Megs are coming back but not Mega STONES. I.e Instead of Charizardite X and Charizardite Y, he just gets the Dragon Z-Stone and Fire Z-Stone. And instead of having to eventually make Dragonite or Dragoniteite or Dragosite or whatever, "Dragon Z-Stone". This also keeps them from having to force Mega Stones all over the region. "I don't loving know maybe a little boy gives you Loppunite???"

Just a thought that this is what the leaker meant if it's accurate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The thematic of the individual mega stones was definitely weird

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

It's because of item clause.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexie posted:

I hope that they don't seriously make the starters location dependent. That'd be an enormous pain in the rear end and awful for marketing.

Countblanc posted:

I know. There should just be one mega stone with a power you have to unlock for the individual Pokemon. That would make it so much easier.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 7, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I hope that they don't seriously make the starters location dependent. That'd be an enormous pain in the rear end and awful for marketing.

More than likely it'll be based on time of day, if it's true. One for the daytime, one for the night. That fits more with the Sun/Moon theme.

Rockruff however is all but confirmed to be location specific.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexie posted:

More than likely it'll be based on time of day, if it's true. One for the daytime, one for the night. That fits more with the Sun/Moon theme.

I dunno, if the werewolf rumors are true, then I could see the puppy being time dependent rather than location.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Dexie posted:

The leaks kind of make sense.

"The starters and Rockruff share a secret" = Z-Attacks aren't unique to them. But variant typings based on some factor ARE. Which would definitely be cool.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I dunno, if the werewolf rumors are true, then I could see the puppy being time dependent rather than location.

He's supposed to have four different forms though, one of which is a werewolf.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Friday can't get here fast enough.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can't decide. Red Blue or Yellow? Which one is gonna have the best mon selection? I can take that Pikachu and stuff him right in a PC where he belongs, right?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

less laughter posted:

It's because of item clause.

Maybe? I think it's more because the game wants to gate things behind progress. I get what you're saying, but teams with multiple mega stone-equipped pokemon weren't exactly the real hotness.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

greatn posted:

I can't decide. Red Blue or Yellow? Which one is gonna have the best mon selection? I can take that Pikachu and stuff him right in a PC where he belongs, right?

Yes, but you can't catch Koffing, Ekans, OR Meowth in the wild.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Dexie posted:

He's supposed to have four different forms though, one of which is a werewolf.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Friday can't get here fast enough.

Maybe a combo happiness/time of day evo? Low happiness evolve at night is a grim dark edgelord werewolf, high happiness daytime is a friendly golden retriever, and the other two are midway points between that?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Maybe a combo happiness/time of day evo? Low happiness evolve at night is a grim dark edgelord werewolf, high happiness daytime is a friendly golden retriever, and the other two are midway points between that?

If this is true than my final team is confirmed.

Rowlet
All four of the doggos
Alolan Exeggutor

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Didn't that other leak say that Malshadow (or whatever) was supposed to have a "very unique typing?"

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Grass/Fire Peppire? Going to have to preemptively disbelieve this list; that's practically a shibboleth for fake by now.

Not that I wouldn't like to be wrong. Not-Hawaii reflecting real Hawaii's parasite problem is a nice bit of research reflected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chimeric posted:

Didn't that other leak say that Malshadow (or whatever) was supposed to have a "very unique typing?"

the first 3 type pokemon...

• Locked thread