Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Feonir posted:

But at the end of the day I find weapon selection to be as up in the air as armor, fashion souls, pick what you are most comfortable with and you will get the most out of the game, do not let anyone else dictate how you play, a weapon may be the be all end all of meta's but if you flummox around with it then you will do little good. Find whatever ~you~ prefer and play it.

This is great advice. I'm using a greatsword as in previous games I've sworded and boarded my way to victory, and I'm having fun. Doesn't matter if it's not "optimal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
pfft. casuals.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

lite_sleepr posted:

Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper. What does this mean?

Sorry! It is a reference to this specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29s-hKUn3Q

Kind of my go to giggle for DS3 pvp content.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

skasion posted:

The great axe is really good for how early you can pick it up, but Yhorm's is way better due to the range. GAs as a class are all around excellent in this game though.

I really prefer the Great Axe to Yhorm's, it has a guaranteed second hit and Yohrm's doesn't, it uses less stamina per swing, weighs less, does a bit more damage, and all for the admittedly significant cost of less range. Also it looks like a no-nonsense, vicious implement of pure destruction.

I just narrowly survived a pretty hilarious invasion. I was running to hit the elevator outside the twins, and couldn't because the fog wall blocked me. I didn't want to punk out by starting the boss fight, but I was surrounded by blue Lothric knights so I started running back down the stairs, and he appeared right there. I ran and dodged like crazy, tried to seed but got stabbed by a hollow, rolled a couple times and finally popped the seed. I kept back and forth through the gauntlet until he got frustrated and killed the hollows. Then I ran back all the way down the stairs and healed, and let him heal too. I was using the Winged Knight Twinaxes and he was using some longsword. We traded a bunch of hits and I was on the ropes, then I landed an L2. I decided to roll the dice so I started the L2 axe spin. It stunlocked him and after about 5 or 6 R2 spins he was dead. I still can't believe that worked.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 3, 2016

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I notice there have been several tweaks to sorceries in recent patches. Is a sorcerer/MLGS build more viable now?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

pop back in after a few months off to do some purple invasions in post-pontiff irithyll. glad to see basically nothing has changed, except loving everyone is just using the regular long sword instead of the dark sword.

gank squads were the most common thing I found, which is a bummer because playing purple, I can totally help you guys pick off those aldia faithful assholes! oh nope, you're just going to chase me down and gangbang me okay cool.

weirdest thing I experienced was fighting some random guy, nothing out of the ordinary. at one point we both roll backwards to take a sippy-sip, and in the middle of my sip my dude is suddenly launched into the air and thrown from the giant courtyard, through the walls of anor londo, and I take lethal falling damage when I hit the ground inside the old chapel lead-up to O&S (now aldia). the guy I was fighting didn't visibly attack me or do anything other than take a drink, and I'm not aware that there was anyone else in his game (I guess there could have been) but I also had no idea you could fling people through world geometry. I figured ever if you could launch someone, I would just stop when I hit a solid wall but nope! somehow I went through the side of anor londo.

edit: oh also forgot the pvp god who would turn on infinite health every time I got him down to less than 25% health so he could sip sip sip back to full with no risk. after watching that happen for the fourth time I decided it wasn't lag and just black crystaled out. good times!

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 4, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Viperix posted:

I notice there have been several tweaks to sorceries in recent patches. Is a sorcerer/MLGS build more viable now?

It's about the same: you can do it but it's not going to come into its own until NG+. The biggest problem with sorcery builds in this game is that they're boring because the power curve is completely hosed, and it would take a lot more patching to change that than they're willing to do. You're going to be using GHSA and Soul Greatsword for the vast majority of the game, not picking up Soul Spear to replace GHSA until you're all the way to the Profaned Capital, at which point you'll see that it provides only a bit more damage for a way greater cost and probably go back to using GHSA.

In Dark Souls you can get Soul Spear before you even fight Ornstein and Smough, just as the game is about to open up. That plus Soulmass tides you over until you can get to Logan in the archives to get the crystal upgrades -- potentially as few as two zones later, with four lord souls still to go. Your spells meaningfully increase in power and you get time and space to use them on poo poo and get a feel for them before you're granted the next tier. In DS3, the crystal stuff is in the second last area of the game, Soulmass sucks in both versions, and the spears are woefully inefficient when you finally do get them. It's not impossible to have fun with a sorcery build, but it's not easy either.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Feonir posted:

Sorry! It is a reference to this specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p29s-hKUn3Q

Kind of my go to giggle for DS3 pvp content.

Well this is a total disappointment, I thought I was gonna see a DS3 video synced up to a Melvin's song.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'm going to go pick up this game today. I actually have Bloodborne, and I wound up getting fairly frustrated with it, but I also had a good bit of fun once I started learning how the game works. I wound up getting sucked into Witcher so I never went back to it. However, I think I'd enjoy a shieldy type character more anyway, so I suppose I'll go with 3 for my first real Souls game I actually play more than a few hours. I hope that's not a bad idea. I have DaS1 and Demons but I really don't feel like dusting off my ps3.

Are there any helpful links to help me learn the games mechanics, as far as items, levels, moves, etc I can read up on?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
You've played Bloodborne, so you have the basics of how these games work down already.

Main differences of the top of my head (I don't bother with pvp, so all of this is pve):
-Parrying is even less important in this game, I don't think I ever used it.
-The bloodborne tactic of dodging into every attack still mostly works, but you'll probably use a shield more. Blocking things with a shield consumes stamina, and stamina regen is very slow if you're holding your shield up to block.
Instead of blood vials you now have estus flasks. Estus refills automatically when you die. You have a maximum you can carry. Throughout the game you will find upgrades for both number of estus flasks you can carry and the amount they restore
-You can have the blacksmith change how many of your estus flasks are for refilling health and how many are for mana. (in my first playthrough this was all/0)
-There are 3(,5) endings, one is default, one is not hard to find, and for the last you'll probably need a guide.
-There are a surprisingly low amount of optional bosses compared to other titles, but boss design in general is maybe the strongest it's been in the series.
-The Nameless King will gently caress you up

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I think I'm going to go pick up this game today. I actually have Bloodborne, and I wound up getting fairly frustrated with it, but I also had a good bit of fun once I started learning how the game works. I wound up getting sucked into Witcher so I never went back to it. However, I think I'd enjoy a shieldy type character more anyway, so I suppose I'll go with 3 for my first real Souls game I actually play more than a few hours. I hope that's not a bad idea. I have DaS1 and Demons but I really don't feel like dusting off my ps3.

Are there any helpful links to help me learn the games mechanics, as far as items, levels, moves, etc I can read up on?

The rules for levels are quite similar. It is never a bad investment to put points into stamina and health. When you find a weapon style you like, find out what it scales with best and pump that stat. That simple. Experiment on things, and find out something you like: the early game is plenty playable at low upgrade levels and it showers you with materials anyway. Consider investing in a bow or other ranged option.
Finally, don't rely too much on your shield. It is very good, although it's not as good as it used to be, but there are lots of times where a dodge will serve you better. This game punishes excessive turtling very heavily. You'll generally see when a monster's attacks aren't worth blocking ( when they either drain all your stamina in one shot, or they throw out a 3 year long combo that functionally does the same thing).
Don't read too much stuff, just go for a first playthrough, experiment and see what you like. After that, read up to your heart's content.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright guys, I got the game. Still learning all the controls and stuff, I remember a bit from Bloodborne(I didn't play it much though) and I finally beat the first intro boss dude. I think it took me about 6 or 7 tries, not sure if that's good or bad for a newbie. While I don't mind the combat like this being difficult, I do have a gripe with the camera. During the dudes second phase, the big monster part on his top was just constantly flailing around blocking my view. I finally realized I could make out glimpses of it's legs to know where it's backside was to roll towards.

Also what about lock on? In my limited experience so far, it seems good when you're sure you will only be dealing with the one enemy, otherwise it seems best off, but I'm not sure.

e: Is there a main hub or something I find soon where I can spend souls and that sort of thing?

also FWIW I went with a warrior and took the life ring.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
The main hub is right after the first boss. You can't miss it, really.
Lock-on is pretty hit and miss. Often enough you'll need it even if it's a crowd, just to aim your swings well. Against bosses that move, charge and jump around a lot the camera just goes crazy and becomes the true bossfight. I'd say that you should lock on to most enemies, but if you find that their or your movement causes the camera to wildly swing around to the point you can't see anything you should fight that unlocked.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, thanks. Yeah, I just found the shrine. Did my first level up, put my points mostly into VIT because my rolling seemed a little slow(if i read right in the OP, it should help that?)

Also found the shortcut to the roof and got an estus flask use increase and reallocated to all health flasks. I'm about to jump back in. The one thing that's still befuddling are all the random game mechanics. I've picked up a few items I have no idea what they are for, even with an item description. Such as Fading Soul and Soul of a Deserted Corpse. It says use to acquire souls, not sure how or the conditions. Also I don't remember where I saw it but I know I read something about there being particular times to use stuff like that. I guess I could just stop to google every little item I get but I'm afraid it'll be cumbersome. I hope I"m good to just play and worry about finer details later on when I've a better grasp on things.

e: Oh, one thing bugging me is it's hard to tell if an item is one use or permanent. For instance the Coiled Sword that says to thrust in a shrine bonfire to activate bonfire warp.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My advice is to just play the game. In general items you find that aren't equipment (swords, armor, shields, etc.) are one use. However, there are almost no meaningful items in the game that are one use and are impossible to get more of. Nearly everything disposable can either be found again later or bought cheaply. The coiled sword is a key item, and if you keep exploring instead of stopping to ask questions and google stuff every 5 minutes, you'll see what it does.

Lock-on is generally a good idea, even with groups. The trick is to control your position to the group of enemies, and be ready to switch focus to a new enemy if you need to. Not being locked on is useful when you want to outmaneuver an enemy. In general you are faster and more mobile than the things you will be facing. If you really didn't care about gaining souls, you could probably easily run past every enemy in the game without a problem. Because you are so much faster and agile than enemies, a good strategy is to let them attack you a few times, dodge,. and use that as a way to learn their moves and watch for openings.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I was mostly using the coiled sword as an example(and I figured it out) but yeah all that is reassuring. I think I just built these games up in my head as being more complicated than I thought. I'll keep all that in mind. About to head to the High Wall of Lothric.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Such as Fading Soul and Soul of a Deserted Corpse. It says use to acquire souls, not sure how or the conditions.

They are identical to the Coldblood items from Bloodborne. They're one time use, and give you souls to use as currency. You can hold them in your inventory for when you need to use them, like to give yourself just enough to level up or something.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So I tried a no-spoiler run of the game for the first time, and accidentally finished it.

Still haven't got the slightest clue about what the plot was supposed to be. Apparently I destroyed all light from the world because fire keeper (a girl) asked me a question and I answered yes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

pigdog posted:

So I tried a no-spoiler run of the game for the first time, and accidentally finished it.

Still haven't got the slightest clue about what the plot was supposed to be. Apparently I destroyed all light from the world because fire keeper (a girl) asked me a question and I answered yes.

You got the second ending! Basically that ending means the end of the cycle of fire.
Theres a first ending where you do the obvious.
And a secret third that is more obscure and is related to a certain rehashed mechanic and a few NPCs and their quests.

Also another ending where you're a fuckin ashhole unfit to even be cinder.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

pigdog posted:

We know who the firekeeper is, why did you feel the need to point out that she's a girl?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

We know who the firekeeper is, why did you feel the need to point out that she's a girl?

That's why he said yes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fire Keeper (a girl): Now please, great hero, you must consume the flame. End the world of light.

Goon: Y-you too! Uhh I mean. Uhm. Yes.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Ds3 dlc: shrine maiden asks player on "epic quest" to carry her printer (symbol of awkwardness hat), most enemies feel too revolted/much pity to attack

But seriously, ds3 dlc would be neat

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
We knew about The Old Hunters 5 months before that was released didn't we? Not sure about the delay for the 3 DS2 DLCs, but the lack of news is getting to me.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HGH posted:

We knew about The Old Hunters 5 months before that was released didn't we? Not sure about the delay for the 3 DS2 DLCs, but the lack of news is getting to me.

You should probably pay a little more attention then : P

DLC pack 1 was recently confirmed as coming out in the first week of September, right on schedule.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

HGH posted:

We knew there was going to be Bloodborne DLC 5 at all 5 months beforehand. That was all we knew until the reveal trailer at TGS in September. So we're completely on track as far Dark Souls 3 DLC news goes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh sorry, I thought we saw a The Old Hunters trailer at E3.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Is anyone else getting lovely framerate drops at the start of Irithyll of the Boreal Valley and during the bridge, even with a high end pc?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm trying to get the secret ending and just "married" Anri but he was laying on the ground and I stuck a sword in him? Did I gently caress it up?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Toriori posted:

I'm trying to get the secret ending and just "married" Anri but he was laying on the ground and I stuck a sword in him? Did I gently caress it up?

That's true love, p much

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Toriori posted:

You can just call it anal sex you know

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Toriori posted:

You are on track. Do you have 8 dark sigils in you inventory? Cause you should

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Toriori posted:

Yeah now imagine livin' with him the rest of your unlife.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Bombadilillo posted:

You are on track. Do you have 8 dark sigils in you inventory? Cause you should

Perfect, thanks.
And thanks everyone else for the comedy responses, excellent.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I really hope they make poise exist. I played through 2.5 times before I got bored. This game was my favorite souls 1st time through but has seriously lacked staying power. I just don't feel like playing again.

I would love to do a beef wall strength run to change it up. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im glad they murked harambe, the vile ape

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Get your Dark Soul out for Harambe

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bombadilillo posted:

I really hope they make poise exist.

It does exist, it just only has an effect when you've got hyper armor.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

it doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Paracelsus posted:

It's more accurate to say that poise above 0 activates hyper armor but in itself, regardless of how high or low it is beyond the binary "is it 0 or >0" check, does nothing. The poise stat does not do what it says in the game.