Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hellotoothpaste posted:

Can't make this poo poo up, Serbian rowers capsize into gross water

lmao

quote:

Fisa also denied that the Serbians faced any dangers from falling into the water. “It is nearly drinking water,” Smith said. “It’s swimming quality. It’s really good. Some might say there are viruses there, but it’s amazingly good right now.”

The the above statement is hilarious since testing found the water quality was a billion times worse in some places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The second day of rowing has been cancelled.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Only because of the wind though.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

goatface posted:

All first day's rowers now suffer from severe wind.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Brazilians are very passionate about this whole "we invented the air plane" thing

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
if santos dumont didn't spend his days partying it up in france instead of working on stuff he could have made the flight before the wright bros

quote:

Winning the de la Meurthe prize made him an international celebrity. With air traffic control restrictions still decades in the future, he would float along the Paris boulevards at rooftop level in his No. 9 Baladeuse, often landing in front of a fashionable outdoor cafe for lunch. On one occasion, he even flew it early one morning to his own apartment at No. 9, Rue Washington, just off Avenue des Champs-Élysées, not far from the Arc de Triomphe.[17] In 1903 Aida de Acosta piloted Santos-Dumont's airship.

he might not have created the airplane first but drat if he didn't get mad pussy by pulling these stunts

nerdz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 7, 2016

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

US and Egyptian fencer were flailing at each other like it was a Prequel lightsaber duel and now the Egyptian nuked his knee or something. Smart thinking there, buddy.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is who that oiled up dude is from the parade of nations,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...5001db4fff94a9d

His name is Pita Taufatofua, taekwondo fighter. He was the first athlete to qualify for Rio from his country after winning gold in the 80+ kg competition at the Oceania Olympic Tournament.

edit : A whole bunch of pictures from yesterday,

http://www.abplive.in/sports/day-2-best-pictures-from-rio-olympics-394250#image22

also the guy who invented the butt lift died,

Celebrated Brazilian plastic surgeon Ivo Pitanguy has died at the age of 93, a day after passing the Olympic torch for the Rio Games. He died of a heart attack at home in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday, a spokeswoman said. On Friday, he had held the torch in the Rio neighbourhood of Gavea, on the final leg of the Olympic relay. He cemented Brazil's place as a destination for plastic surgery, giving the world the "Brazilian butt lift".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37001270

Finally, "Brazilian gold medal hopeful Sarah Menezes suffered a gruesome injury in the quarter finals of women’s judo (48kg) during Day 1 of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.As Menezes was grappling with Mongolia’s Urantsetseg Monkhbat, Menezes was tossed to the ground, but not in a fashion that would award Monkhbat an ippon (full point,/immediate victory). Once on the mat, Monkhbat seized upon Menezes right arm and wrenched it into a deep armbar. Menezes twisted onto her stomach as Monkhbat hyper-extended the arm to the point it appeared to snap. At the moment of likely fracture, Menezes immediately tapped - granting Monkhbat the ippon. "

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/7...bat-brazil-news

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 7, 2016

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Humphreys posted:

:downsbravo:
Wow, how aren't they getting ejected?

America and the USSR probably wouldn't have shared a bus either during the cold war. now add in all the pain and suffering of being proxy states (getting your rear end bombed) and just realize that whoever put them on that bus is an idiot or a troll or both

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

As if Rio wasn't hot enough already, BBC hosts are fondling each other under the desks

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

hahahahaha get it in bro

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Who wouldn't expect mongolians to tear an arm off?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Half these pictures are of beach volleyball players.

They know where our priorities lie.

e: I may be exaggerating a bit but who cares

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

goatface posted:

And capsizing into poo poo water isn't fun.

Also the wind/waves are probably making it harder to hide the trash from the cameras.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Viruswithshoes posted:

As if Rio wasn't hot enough already, BBC hosts are fondling each other under the desks

If this was the other way around, with the dude touching the ladies leg, people would be screaming for that dudes job/head.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fiji v. Colombia Rugby.

A) Colombia is not very good at this 'rugby' thing.

B) The loving announcer just loving said "Danger danger, Power Ranger."

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I hope Bob Costas gets robbed by a monkey with a knife and then it gives him a swirlie in an unfinished Olympic village toilet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why are the stands so damned empty?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Overall supposedly they had piles of unsold tickets due to all the various negative factors associated with the Olympics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because nobody wants to risk travelling to Rio.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So i thought the gif blackout was only for news stories or sites. Arent we ok here?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Philosopher King posted:

So i thought the gif blackout was only for news stories or sites. Arent we ok here?

Since when have we ever given a gently caress what the IOC thought?

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Women's cycling: a few crashes so far but nothing major yet. Waiting to see if they can match the amount of men's wipeouts

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tater_salad posted:

It's the Olympics. They're usually empty-ish

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

HungryMedusa posted:

I hope Bob Costas gets robbed by a monkey with a knife and then it gives him a swirlie in an unfinished Olympic village toilet.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/jorgeviale/status/762294263761739776

But all is good now, because other passing sport peeps could rescue him (he had no cell phone connection and apparently no alert button?):

https://twitter.com/fedepizarro03/status/762301496469942272

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

:stare::fh:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
NBC failing at basic things:
Tirico: "we have for you a six pack of events this morning...(goes through 5 sports)...and for six, I guess, here are people surfing and enjoying the sun on Copacabana beach."
:doh:

Edit: Russian swimmer busted twice just won her heat, bet you can't even get good odds betting on that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

NBC failing at basic things:
Tirico: "we have for you a six pack of events this morning...(goes through 5 sports)...and for six, I guess, here are people surfing and enjoying the sun on Copacabana beach."
:doh:

Edit: Russian swimmer busted twice just won her heat, bet you can't even get good odds betting on that.

And it was like the 3rd fastest time in the world since the US chick in the heat before was a bit slower. The commentator was pretty "calmly angry" about the doper.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Virigoth posted:

And it was like the 3rd fastest time in the world since the US chick in the heat before was a bit slower. The commentator was pretty "calmly angry" about the doper.

Why aren't they doing "random" testing before/after events "randomly" on every russian athlete?

Or does the IOC literally not give a gently caress?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tiny men lifting big weights starting up. A chance to see Nauru vs Guam square off, the bitterest rivalry

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Spookydonut posted:

Why aren't they doing "random" testing before/after events "randomly" on every russian athlete?

The IOC cares very deeply about large Russian bribes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Spookydonut posted:

It's funny how they went from a blanket ban to letting all the Russian athletes compete despite the massive amounts of fraud.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nill posted:

The IOC cares very deeply about large Russian bribes.

Who was it that said the world should avoid greed? I heard something like that lately. Just can't place it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

etalian posted:

It's funny how they went from a blanket ban to letting all the Russian athletes compete despite the massive amounts of fraud.

You'd change your tune pretty quick as well when you start getting photos of umbrellas and the periodic table in the mail.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

If this was the other way around, with the dude touching the ladies leg, people would be screaming for that dudes job/head.

Don't worry, I'm sure she'll be screaming for his head later tonight. :pervert:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Those men have some interesting hair styles.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Microwaves Mom posted:

Those men have some interesting hair styles.

It makes me so happy that Ogre made the team this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
lol womens olympic level rugby is literally on the level of high school men's rugby.

• Locked thread