Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
What I really don't get is that this data is already available and sent to your phone, they just obsfucated it in a way that is causing them far more misery than any other implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Won't anybody think of their bottom line :cry:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mods please ban scanner discussion as it is an illegal activity and is a detriment to people who play this game

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Won't anybody think of their bottom line :cry:

Why wouldn't you? Bigger companies than Niantic have tanked on mobile games because people lose interest. The devs can't work on new features if they're too busy trying to stomp out bandwidth hogs

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Scanners are worse than ISIS imo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Mods please ban scanner discussion as it is an illegal activity and is a detriment to people who play this game

You're flying a bit close to the sun, imo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It seems that if one is spending hours and hours playing this game, but not actually giving any $$$ to Niantic, then they have absolutely nothing to complain about.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The only people who have any leg to stand on are Android users who bought iap and can't get a refund

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I've given them almost 3 Google opinion bucks and tons of exposure due to my 5 team instinct bumper stickers. I think I'm a little entitled to a little bit of scanning action.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Why wouldn't you? Bigger companies than Niantic have tanked on mobile games because people lose interest. The devs can't work on new features if they're too busy trying to stomp out bandwidth hogs

I doubt the people working on features are in charge of server maintenance, chief. This is like complaining about DLCs or cosmetic content for games when the multiplayer servers have issues (see: MOBAs).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Internet Explorer posted:

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS!!?!

For reals.

I want to play this game legitimately, without hacks or cheats. However, the game was originally designed with a feature that let you track down pokemon. The developers removed for that feature because it caused server load. Well, in a way, the community put that feature back in by developing scanning apps.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Space Skeleton posted:

Alright I get it, you all mistrust the big bad Niantic. Their explanation of the issue makes sense to me from an IT perspective but I'm not being cynical about it until given a reason to be.

Have you ever been in a science class, like ever? They tell you to always label your axes because of literally this exact thing.

I mean don't get me wrong, people complaining that scanner nerfing ruined the game are dumb as hell, but literally anyone publishing a graph like that to prove something is amusingly incompetent at best and a drat liar at worst.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
theflyingexecutive is John Hanke and is here to show us the error of our ways.

We are all fleecing Niantic something rotten here fellas, either by not buying incubators and lures, or using a 3rd party apps to ensure you can find pokemon for your undiscovered pokedex entries instead of just collecting up weedles and drowsies all the time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I doubt the people working on features are in charge of server maintenance, chief. This is like complaining about DLCs or cosmetic content for games when the multiplayer servers have issues (see: MOBAs).

Devs have to figure out how to add a scanning feature that can't be abused by scanners. They also can't hire new gameplay devs if they're overspending in bandwidth, this is a company that raised less than $30m trying to hold down a userbase of up to a hundred million people

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Emanuel Collective posted:

Scanners are worse than ISIS imo

poko haram

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Touchdown Boy posted:

theflyingexecutive is John Hanke and is here to show us the error of our ways.

We are all fleecing Niantic something rotten here fellas, either by not buying incubators and lures, or using a 3rd party apps to ensure you can find pokemon for your undiscovered pokedex entries instead of just collecting up weedles and drowsies all the time.

I'm not Hanke because I've posted more in the last half hour about this game than he has ever.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I'm not Hanke because I've posted more in the last half hour about this game than he has ever.

allahu arbok

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I'm pretty sure they can implement a tracking fix at a moments notice, if they don't have one already. The issue is probably not technological but legal. They are most likely waiting on a response for their legal team to give go ahead on a tracker that absolves them from liability concerning leading people into trespassing/dangerous settings.

People defending a company that makes a million bucks a day is hilarious. I would be adamantly defending them, however, if Niantic showed a shred of concern for the players and communicated with them in an open manner.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A million bucks a day is not a lot. You're talking a couple of cents per user per day and when you have a sizable block of users taking up a quarter or fifty cents a day of bandwidth, your revenue stream is in trouble.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

A million bucks a day is not a lot. You're talking a couple of cents per user per day and when you have a sizable block of users taking up a quarter or fifty cents a day of bandwidth, your revenue stream is in trouble.

prepare for jynxhad

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Devs have to figure out how to add a scanning feature that can't be abused by scanners.

This will never happen FYI. People who want to cheat find a away. They can do two main things about this, 1- get better at discovering and banning people absuing 3rd party software (not that easy and would tie up loads of resources) or 2- provide better in game functions themselves (you know like they sort of had before they removed it).

Chances are doing both is a good idea, but 3rd party scanners should be lower on the list than making the game more playable. Every gym around me has 3k CP Dragonites and Snorlaxes everywhere and they havent done poo poo to those obvious botters, or the guys who made it all the way to 40 botting and spoofing all over the globe to get the best pokemons

You are asking people not to use a scanner because it uses some *unknown amount* of server time, but the people here are a drop in the ocean to the massive server usage of cheaters who run hundreds of scans and bots constantly. Thats why people are laughing and rolling their eyes.

Touche.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

holy poo poo dude fuuuuuck offfff

go find a more important hill to die on good lord

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Please everyone stop posting about this poo poo and let's post about other poo poo.

Did we ever get an answer on whether incense attracted area-specific monsters or just random poo poo? I need more growlithes bad.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Touchdown Boy posted:

You are asking people not to use a scanner because it uses some *unknown amount* of server time, but the people here are a drop in the ocean to the massive server usage of cheaters who run hundreds of scans and bots constantly. Thats why people are laughing and rolling their eyes.

I'm not so delusional as to think I can post away the scanner problem, I'm just enjoying the mental gymnastics people are willing to use to defend the cheating and hacking they use about a children's game to avoid doing exercise

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Jonesy posted:

Please everyone stop posting about this poo poo and let's post about other poo poo.

Did we ever get an answer on whether incense attracted area-specific monsters or just random poo poo? I need more growlithes bad.

iirc its on its own spawning interval, independant of the other spawns and lured stops, and totally random

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's the 2016 version of "I can't pirate movies because I wasn't going to buy a ticket anyway"

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I'm not so delusional as to think I can post away the scanner problem, I'm just enjoying the mental gymnastics people are willing to use to defend the cheating and hacking they use about a children's game to avoid doing exercise

death to the infidigletts

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

It's the 2016 version of "I can't pirate movies because I wasn't going to buy a ticket anyway"

we will establish a califairy

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Jonesy posted:

I think it attracts random poo poo, same with Lures. *But I could be wrong!*

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Broseph Brostar posted:

I've given them almost 3 Google opinion bucks and tons of exposure due to my 5 team instinct bumper stickers. I think I'm a little entitled to a little bit of scanning action.

You're a good man, but you need to up your game. Instinct is all about clothing and accessories now. As well as flipping water bottles.

You'll need one of these for when you are outside pokemon training:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IP3XNMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Pok...BV16VK6VS1Q7Q1E

This when you are at the gym human training: Got to keep your ball arm strong
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I8V5P5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is for your Dongle when you get one. A must have for even ammiture trainers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDMHKIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Always remember, Team Instinct is a zip-up hoodie team. We don't wear hats or pullovers. I recommend you get a hoodie vest to show off your pokeball throwing arms.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

holy poo poo is that why i literally saw some fat dorks in UNIFORM?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

You wouldn't throw a Pokéball at a car

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

are you conflating scanner apps with GPS spoofing or something because you still have to physically walk to the location of the pokemon you scanned to catch it, in no way does that avoid exercise.

in no way are these equivocal

pick a better hill to die on, retard

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Hey using the Windows Desktop Pokemon Go Live Map app, is there a way to limit the rings/radius of scanning? I thought there was before...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bacon Hat posted:

we will establish a califairy

Nice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

are you conflating scanner apps with GPS spoofing or something because you still have to physically walk to the location of the pokemon you scanned to catch it, in no way does that avoid exercise.

in no way are these equivocal

pick a better hill to die on, retard

Yeah, because otherwise you'd just have to walk around blind to find specific mons.

They're not equivocal because torrents don't use the bandwidth of the movie distributors. Either way, it's a "they're a rich company, they can afford it" justification

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Also, team Instinct's the best. Go Yellow or go home. :colbert:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Please keep calling me a r- tho, really lends credence to the "this is just like torrenting in 2006" argument

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

True story, there's a pizza place near my house that's giving away free pizzas to team Instinct members. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Hey using the Windows Desktop Pokemon Go Live Map app, is there a way to limit the rings/radius of scanning? I thought there was before...

log out, scroll down

• Locked thread