Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

H13 posted:

Speaking as an Australian.

For the love of God and all that is holy. We are not like Boomerang. At all.

loving hell. This movie was an utter disaster from start to finish.

drat, really? I thought Boomerang was a totally 100% accurate representation of every living person in Australia. Glad that's not the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
If Suicide Squad does come with an ultimate edition on home release, I'd really like to see Ayer's version and see what was really supposed to happen.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I dunno what the fuss was about, seemed like a typical superhero film to me. Harley was great because she didn't seem to give a gently caress (although I'm not sure if that was intentional), Deadshot was Will Smith doing his thing, and everyone else was just there. I'd watch a Deadshot and Harley spin-off maybe. Oh, Diablo was cool when he started actually doing stuff, and Croc had some good moments. There were some good gags in there.

Oh, and the Joker was crap but he was in for like ten minutes so whatever. I liked that Captain Boomerang was just there to get dunked on the whole film. It's kind of incredibly dumb that the only reason there's a crisis that needs the Suicide Squad is because of the loving Suicide Squad existing though. Who the gently caress thought that was a good main villain idea. Makes Waller seem like a tremendous idiot but maybe that's the idea, she was hardly Chief Good Ideas in Arrow. Oh, I actually quite liked Joker's crew but that might be mainly because Panda Man and Knockoff Batman made me laugh.

Also somebody in charge of the soundtrack just wanted to put in a bunch of songs they liked, or at least it felt that way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked this version of the Joker, it's just too bad Jared Leto is supposedly a gigantic rear end in a top hat in real life and no liked him during filming. What is disappointing is that the Joker in Suicide Squad was totally pointless and added nothing to the story. Supposedly the alternative cut of the film changes that and he is much more central to the plot beyond just Harley Quinns backstory.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, and I liked the detail in Deadshot's dossier where it says all the guns he can kill people with including a potato gun. I want to see all the bits that were in those, there were some okay jokes in amongst.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Escape From New York meets the Last Witch Hunter. I liked it but it's definitely not like GotG, even if they were aiming for that.

I also wish I could have as much fun as Harle seemed to be.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Junior Jr. posted:

If Suicide Squad does come with an ultimate edition on home release, I'd really like to see Ayer's version and see what was really supposed to happen.

Ayer's doubling down, claiming all cuts were his cuts

quote:

After months of months of hype, Suicide Squad finally hits theaters this weekend… and so far, the buzz has not been great. Sure, it’s got its moments, and yes, it’s on track for a record-breaking opening weekend. But it’s such a mess that it came as little surprise when reports trickled out about the film’s behind-the-scenes woes, including a claim that the studio interfered with director David Ayer‘s more somber vision.

For his part, however, Ayer is standing by his movie. In a recent interview, he insisted that “the released movie is my cut,” though we can probably still expect to see some deleted scenes when Suicide Squad finally makes its way to home video.

Chatting with Collider, Ayer acknowledged that while plenty of footage was left on the cutting room floor, the final theatrical edit is his cut:

"We have a chunk, there’s definitely over 10 minutes of material on there. But this cut of the movie is my cut, there’s no sort of parallel universe version of the movie, the released movie is my cut. And that’s one of the toughest things about writing, shooting, and directing a film, is you end up with these orphans and you loving love them and you think they’d be amazing scenes and do these amazing things but the film is a dictatorship (laughs), not a democracy, and just because something’s cool and charismatic doesn’t mean it gets to survive in the final cut. The flow of the movie is the highest master."

Ayer sounds proud of his work on Suicide Squad. He admits the going wasn’t always easy, but no movie is. Then again, it seems unlikely Ayer would say otherwise. He’d have little to gain and a lot to lose by trashing his own movie on opening weekend (remember what happened when Josh Trank did that with Fantastic Four?), plus it’d be disrespectful to the many, many other people who helped make the movie.

A report earlier this week claimed Warner Bros. was nervous about Ayer’s darker version of Suicide Squad and pressured him to lighten it up, even bringing in a trailer editing company to assemble an alternate cut for test screenings. But even those insiders agreed that Ayer cooperated throughout the process, so it’s not as if they cut Ayer out completely. Continuing his conversation with Collider, Ayer rightfully points out that filmmaking is a complicated process.

http://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-squad-david-ayer-cut/

Doesn't sound like there'll ever be a director's cut if he's dismissing it out of the gate.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, and El Diablo going all fiery on Mecha-Blacklight and coming out with something like "it's on, bitch" made me laugh too. It just felt so tacked on and unnecessary. It's like Danny thinks in Hot Fuzz, you always have to have some line to say when fighting bad guys.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Ayer's doubling down, claiming all cuts were his cuts

http://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-squad-david-ayer-cut/

Doesn't sound like there'll ever be a director's cut if he's dismissing it out of the gate.

Either he's genuine or he realizes that badmouthing the studio in the first weekend is a bad idea (Hi Trank!) and there might be a "Director's Cut" version out by the Blu-Ray release.

E: That article said just that, so I read gud.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 7, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guys, I just wanted to chime in as a Canadian and that Strange Brew's depiction of Canadians is NOT TRUE AT ALL. Wow.

What a trash movie.

Also this movie was decent but nothing was really earned. And Rick Flag is dumb as poo poo. Cut all his poo poo out - have the squad do something more interesting than taking on a god (I like the Joker idea from earlier) and it could have been better. The characters are there and ready - but Ayer pissed them all away.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In fairness to the movie, Rick Flagg is kinda hard to do well in condensed form; he's basically a super-soldier who ends up leading the team because family legacy, hates the criminals on the team, and slowly goes unhinged as he keeps leading them. He ultimately dies when he one-man invades a villain fortress his dad died invading, and blows up his dads bomb

Also he comes back to life, because comics are creatively bankrupt

Crash74
May 11, 2009
If inca god man was killed with a land mine why not just carpet bomb him with a few dozen b-52's flying at 30,000 feet? That was the lamest villain deaths, harley literally just walking up to her and tee hee ima gonna cut yoy heart out... and the cop out of the dr coming magically back to life was such poo poo. wtf was the point of this whole movie?

e: Rick Flagg's main squeez should have stayed dead so he would be super unhinged in the next movie (lol at there being a next movie)

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 7, 2016

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Neurolimal posted:

Also he comes back to life, because comics are creatively bankrupt

Often yes but to be fair, if I get a run of a character I've been wanting to write and you just murdered him in your run, then gently caress your run, I'm bringing him back to life.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm glad they didn't make the plot about capturing/extracting the Joker because that movie already exists. Actually really glad the Joker was not really a significant actor in the plot since if you've seen basically anything from DC in the last 10 years Joker hogs the spotlight enough as it is. I felt like it wasn't his movie and he was more there as part of Harley Quinn's story, and I'd hate to have seen it become the Joker's story.

My issues with the movie are:

---Obviously some last-minute rewriting happened. The briefing room scene essentially repeats the restaurant scene immediately for no reason. The whole joke with Slipknot seems spoiled as he gets no prior introduction at all. June Moon survives when The Sorceress had just said that wasn't going to happen, and you can tell from the way it's pasted in it's the equivalent of "Duke's alive! He's gonna be okay!" in the G.I. Joe movie.

---Last battle is way too Power Rangers-esque for my taste. One of the greatest things about Man of Steel and Superman v Batman was how Snyder always emphasizes the power of his superstrong characters and the fragility of the ordinary humans around them. "You might want to stand back" etc. Here we have ordinary humans get thrown against concrete walls by a superstrong Olmec space-god and nothing happens, they're fine. It was way too Age of Ultron all over again. Also the way the Squaddies all step out from behind cover and stand shoulder-to-shoulder like they're at the OK Corral. Admittedly this is just one of my big pet peeves in movies because I'm a big mouth breathing TAKTAKUL REELIZMS sperg but if you're Deadshot or Captain Boomerang why the gently caress do you step out into the open in a battle ever? You could say I'm disappointed the last fight turns into a bog-standard superhero battle right down to their finishing move against the boss being a combo power use.... like please DC, don't try to be Marvel, you're so much prettier when you're just yourself :V

----This may be a weird specific complaint but way too much literal walking from Point A to Point B once they get to the city. The Squad looks really goofy when they're all just tramping along like on a school field trip and not in a good way [ed: maybe sometimes in a good way]. Actually this is another one of my weird peccadilloes. You should never have a shot where your superheroes are all just walking in single file unless you're literally going for a laugh. It looks goofy as poo poo when the X-Men do it and it looks goofy as poo poo when the Suicide Squad does it. In fact, you know why Batman and Spider-Man are the two most popular/successful superheroes ever? It's because those motherfuckers never walk anywhere. They make actually getting from Point A to Point B visually exciting and don't give you a chance to notice how goofy all superhero costumes look in three dimensions [actually the costumes are really good, one of the movie's strong points but you get what I mean? The Spider-Man costume in the Raimi movies looks good but Spider-Man standing in an elevator is one of the funniest jokes in the trilogy]. Anyway this is not Lord of the Rings, have them hotwire an armored car and plow their way to the target street idk.

That's pretty much my only complaints. The recuts sucked but they're like 10% of the movie. Also I want to add that I didn't have any problem with the editing of the fights that some people have been talking about(??) You can p. much always tell who's standing where in relative to who, nothing as lol as Scarlet Witch sneaking past Thor and Hawkeye so she can attack Captain America first happens. Actually the longest part of the last battle where Sorceress goes IT'S ON BITCHES and attacks the whole team after casting Obscuring Mist was really well done. I wish the part where she was in full blown CGI mode had been as good.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 7, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crash74 posted:

If inca god man was killed with a land mine why not just carpet bomb him with a few dozen b-52's flying at 30,000 feet?

They show the ground littered with downed planes.

The witch is god-powerful and only let these people come in close because she thought she could absorb/recruit them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harime Nui posted:

I'm glad they didn't make the plot about capturing/extracting the Joker because that movie already exists. Actually really glad the Joker was not really a significant actor in the plot since if you've seen basically anything from DC in the last 10 years Joker hogs the spotlight enough as it is. I felt like it wasn't his movie and he was more there as part of Harley Quinn's story, and I'd hate to have seen it become the Joker's story.
Do you think another Joker story would've been worse than another destroyed city with an apocalypse laser?

Also the plot having been done in an animated film doesn't mean it shouldn't have been done here. Having something to adapt might have drastically improved things.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nah, any plot can be good. I'm just glad, having seen and enjoyed Batman: The Suicide Squad: Assault on Arkham twice already they didn't lift the cartoon's plot which from the trailers I honestly thought they were gonna do (Arkham spoiler: Poison Ivy actually busts out at the end and goes on a rampage and I guessed Enchantress was literally just there to fill her part of the plot. I'm glad that Enchantress was the movie's actual villain and they got right to that rather than having her betray the team as a third act twist.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

most people don't watch those cartoons so it would have been fine they had just used that story - certainly would've been a step up from saving the world from big explosion again.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Plus we'd have gotten Killer Frost, so +1 actual metahuman.

edit: Actually the whole team is kind of different now that I remember the movie (better, actually).

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 7, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crash74 posted:

If inca god man was killed with a land mine why not just carpet bomb him with a few dozen b-52's flying at 30,000 feet? That was the lamest villain deaths, harley literally just walking up to her and tee hee ima gonna cut yoy heart out... and the cop out of the dr coming magically back to life was such poo poo. wtf was the point of this whole movie?

e: Rick Flagg's main squeez should have stayed dead so he would be super unhinged in the next movie (lol at there being a next movie)

Remember that the ss isn't the actual plan to fight the monster, they just get involved due to dumb writing. The plan was the divers with the bomb all along and the ss really don't do much in that plan.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Remember that the ss isn't the actual plan to fight the monster, they just get involved due to dumb writing. The plan was the divers with the bomb all along and the ss really don't do much in that plan.

Wait, why were they sent to rescue her anyway? That seems like the sort of poo poo any black ops team could've pulled off (and the black ops team that was there with them were doing fine on their own).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Steve2911 posted:

Wait, why were they sent to rescue her anyway? That seems like the sort of poo poo any black ops team could've pulled off (and the black ops team that was there with them were doing fine on their own).

uh like maybe one of the guys who went SCUBA survives and only because Killer Croc had their back?

Also the guys who didn't go in with the Squad were promptly captured and turned into putties.

e: Now, if the SEALs had gone in with .357/.40 ammo like Harley's revolver apparently is, they would all be alive. Sad.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 7, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They show the ground littered with downed planes.

The witch is god-powerful and only let these people come in close because she thought she could absorb/recruit them.

should have been the ending:

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

What a mess of a movie. A couple of good scenes and I liked most of the visuals, everything else makes no goddamn sense.

It's hilarious to compare this Joker to the Ledger one. More crazy and kooky means better, right? There was like a two second shot of the Joker in the bar(?), quiet and staring into nothingness, and he sort of looked interesting with the contrast of his pimped out look and stillness. Then Leto's crack kicked in and he started bouncing off the walls again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vintersorg posted:

What a trash movie.

...this movie was decent...

Umm...

"Decent Trash?"

What are you saying here?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Then Leto's crack kicked in and he started bouncing off the walls again.

I was okay with this version of the Joker, honestly. "Mobster on so much premium cocaine you wouldn't believe it" seems like a fine read on the character.

But even so, the Joker is in goddamn everything these days and you wouldn't have noticed in the slightest if he'd been completely cut from this movie.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I was okay with this version of the Joker, honestly. "Mobster on so much premium cocaine you wouldn't believe it" seems like a fine read on the character.
It's sort of an interesting idea in the sense that that's what real mobsters would do. Actually having the Joker snort coke on screen would be funny. Too bad a character that is nothing but 100% coked up all day every day is loving annoying.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BiggerBoat posted:

Umm...

"Decent Trash?"

It's just how people review movies now. This movie was poorly shot, written and directed. But it was a good movie 4 out of 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Despite all the bad reviews I am going to go see this because my nerdness compels me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Joker, much like Batman, has always been in everything forever.

It's like expecting Doctor Who to go on without the Daleks. Yeah that'd be a great idea, but it's never going to happen because the Daleks define Doctor Who to a lot of people and everyone wants to do their own take on them as much as they want to do the hero.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Joker is in the movie basically because Harley Quinn is in the movie and not really as a character in his own right. Leto isn't as "interesting" as Ledger because, well, that's like expecting Jason Bourne's love interest to take over the movie and instead of him running from the government it's about her reconciling with her estranged brother in France or wherever that house of his was.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Harime Nui posted:

Joker is in the movie basically because Harley Quinn is in the movie and not really a character in his own right. Leto isn't as "interesting" as Ledger because, well, that's like expecting Jason Bourne's love interest to take over the movie and instead of him running from the government it's about her reconciling with her estranged brother in France or wherever that house of his was.

Yeah exactly.

For people who've seen Orange is the New Black, the Joker here is basically what it would like if we saw Morello's fantasy of her boyfriend the one that she stalked and later planted a bomb under his car waiting up for her and doing his best to go see her. He's almost completely made up; their introduction after he breaks out of prison is straight out of a 50 Shades ripoff and everything he does after that is in service to her.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Yeah, what's really interesting is how this is the first portrayal of Joker ever who actually values Harley, has shown any kind of romantic devotion to her like she's always fantasizing about. Except... he doesn't. He straight abandons her after driving his car into Gotham's river (is that the Hudson? Are we going with Gotham being in NJ like in the comics?) and it's not like he told her to buckle up or anything. Then there's the moment on the chopper after Joker rescues her---when the helicopter goes down and Harley tumbles out, it seemed to me like it was shot ambiguously whether Joker lost his grip or actually pushed off of her, like "gently caress this, you're too hot to handle right now," as in Waller wouldn't have stopped chasing after him if he'd run off with Harley. Or possibly he just shoved her in order to steady himself. The point is pretty much all our shots of the Joker are from Harley's perspective and probably not what will have actually happened when Joker returns in Batfleck Reveangence: Batten Down The Hatches

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 7, 2016

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, his facial expression in the acid bath scene seemed especially weird. If they didn't want to portray Joker as an abusive/neglectful boyfriend, I'm not sure why they kept his whole "welp I'm done here... well... maybe... ugh, fine, I guess" before he jumps in too.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Crash74 posted:

should have been the ending:

To be fair this is Dark Knight Rises' ending.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerusalem posted:

"How do we deal with a threat that guns and bombs can't solve? We send in some metahumans with guns and bombs!"

If you try to think realistically about power levels and rock/paler/scissors tac realism you'll miss the symbolism.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
One of the interesting(?) things about the DCCU as it expands is how careful Man of Steel is to drop Superman into our very own real world. Other than a Lexcorp truck there is nothing of "the comics" in the world in which Superman finds himself. Smallville is not the bucolic Riverdale we know from Silver Age comics but a Midwestern shithole with a gas station, Sears and an IHOP forming its midtown triangle. Now we learn retroactively that the world Superman plunged into was always this cooky comic book land with

-Mutants
-Swordfights in Tokyo
-Robbers who use remote-control drone boomerangs
-Ancient extradimensional God-Wizards [Aquaman: "Oh yeah, we totally knew about those guys.... they were assholes."]

It's like "Superman was just the beginning;" evidently Superman wasn't the beginning of poo poo. Did Zod scan earth and notice bizarre energy fluctuations coming out of Central America? Was he like "we'll make first contact with that higher transpacial intelligence as soon as I've wiped out allllllllll the humans." Coupled with, Suicide Squad's entire aesthetic is this almost Schumackerian day-glo splatter of "comic book" visuals, it very pointedly takes place in comic-book land and not reality (save a few moments like El Diablo's flashbacks, Deadshot visiting his daughter; these are tonally outside the "comic book world.") Which is interesting in light of SMG's observation that Central City is a kind of purgatorial dreamscape in which the characters dejectedly walk from setpiece to setpiece enacting rote fight scene beats like zombies------because as I observed, most of BvS (a bridge between MoS and SS if you like) had this incredibly dreamlike feeling, imparted by Snyder's camerawork and because like 20% of the movie is literally dream scenes. Suicide Squad is like this lurid fantasy that wholly takes place in the same "apocalyptic" landscape as Batman's filthy BDSM dream about Superman.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
To me Joker and Harley were well done enough and I liked Leto's portrayal. I think his performance was fine though I wonder if the writing didn't play it well enough. I think he's conflicted because his nature doesn't support falling in love but Harley's tenacity and headstrong ability to survive what the Joker throws at her has him vexed or smitten and he's in denial trying to understand it. Their sequences and Batman were more interesting and colorful (not just literally) than the rest of the film.

The cut/editing was horrible. Croc and Diablo were great in the doses given. This movie gave Jai Courtney personality so it is a step up. Enchantress was silly cool. I liked the thought the purpose of their mission was good as a surprise but the writing itself was weak even if the concept was to show the meta humans can't be entirely controlled. The story and concepts could have been improved.

I liked it well enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BiggerBoat posted:

Umm...

"Decent Trash?"

The trash movie being "Strange Brew".

Since one poster dismissed the movie because Boomerang isnt what Australians act like.

The_Rob posted:

It's just how people review movies now. This movie was poorly shot, written and directed. But it was a good movie 4 out of 5

Nope. Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Hard to avoid claims of aping Guardians of the Galaxy when you use Spirit in the Sky in your film, which was arguably one of the best parts of the GotG trailers.

H13 posted:

Speaking as an Australian.

For the love of God and all that is holy. We are not like Boomerang. At all.

I know, right?

Guy never once said "Put another shrimp on the Barbie!" Totally unrealistic.

• Locked thread