Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

America literally Brexited in 1776, how is that even a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

haveblue posted:

The American Brexit happened in 1860.

Nah they didn't vote for that. Which is what I meant, basically. Dumb Parliament putting out a referendum they want to lose but getting sabotaged by disenfranchised and racist white people sticking it to the man. Not in the literal separatist sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HorseRenoir posted:

Clinton +12 in Virginia :stare:

Terry McAuliffe 2020!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't even want to imagine what an American Brexit would look like. Not even "Texas leaves the Union," but probably something much more comically evil like "repeal the 13th Amendment."

I could definitely see a push to repeal the 14th Amendment if the Republican party keeps going down its current path. Republicans are already super hostile to the idea of jus soli and I could see them trying to make the case that the 14th Amendment is "too loosely worded" and as a result frequently "abused" by activist judges and therefore the whole thing needs to go.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pakled posted:

I could definitely see a push to repeal the 14th Amendment if the Republican party keeps going down its current path. Republicans are already super hostile to the idea of jus soli and I could see them trying to make the case that the 14th Amendment is "too loosely worded" and as a result frequently "abused" by activist judges and therefore the whole thing needs to go.

They'd probably get uncomfortably close if they had good PR, your average older white American would be so down, and everyone else probably doesn't have the time or motivation to figure out what the 14th actually is because there's a bunch of words about the Civil War in it that aren't relevant anymore.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Virginia's no surprise, but I'm more curious about how close it is in Nevada. Obama won the state twice, and I would've expected the hispanic population would help boost Hillary to at least 5 - 10 points.

It's not a lot of electoral votes, but I find any state that Obama won in 2012 that Hillary can't hold onto is worrisome.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So how many points would Hillary have to win by in order to gain control of Congress?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

This shouldn't be surprising at all. The DC suburbs are solidly democrat. So is Richmond and Chesapeake.

edit: wow. coffee before posting.

Also, Charlottesville. Home of the Khans and the University of Virginia*.

*Wahoowa!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gort posted:

So how many points would Hillary have to win by in order to gain control of Congress?

It doesn't work like that. Congressional seats are determined by districts written up by mostly Republican State governments to stay Republican. If Hillary wins super hard the Dems might pick up a few more seats because of downticket coattails but the House is staying Republican for the foreseeable future and even if we retook the House it'd just go Republican again in two years.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Ballz posted:

Virginia's no surprise, but I'm more curious about how close it is in Nevada. Obama won the state twice, and I would've expected the hispanic population would help boost Hillary to at least 5 - 10 points.

It's not a lot of electoral votes, but I find any state that Obama won in 2012 that Hillary can't hold onto is worrisome.

Republican support in Nevada relies less on college educated whites than in VA. They're abandoning Trump in droves, but there are just fewer of them in NV.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ballz posted:

Looking at the poll, it's a combination of "Likely Voters" skewing more conservative, plus the fact that Nevada is a legitimate swing state so this might happen.

The demographics seem kinda skewed though, 60% of responders are over the age of 44.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Kilroy posted:

That Presidents don't appoint Justices in the election year. But the GOP in the Senate will also move to confirm Garland in the lame duck, should Hillary win the election. This would obviously undermine any notion of a "new precedent" since they would break with precedent on the very act that's supposed to be setting the loving precedent in the first place.

Basically they've taken a gamble that they don't believe they can lose: if Hillary wins, then they confirm Garland in the lame duck and get an older and reasonably moderate Justice; if Hillary loses then they never confirm Garland and instead go with whatever eldritch horror Trump offers up, and they get to have some bullshit "precedent" that (Democratic) Presidents don't appoint Justices in the election year, which of course they would reneg on as soon it meant a Republican President not appointing a Justice.

This is why I'm really against Garland getting confirmed later this year, after the election (assuming Hillary wins). If you're going to poo poo on the Constitution there should at least be some risk involved.

The unfortunate thing is, withdrawing Garland would probably have worse consequences for democrats than confirming Garland in the lame duck would for republicans. Even if we somehow get round the clock coverage of Garland's confirmation with accompanying previous GOP rhetoric about the people deciding the next nominee, it's only going to be yet another blatant hypocrisy on the stratospheric garbage pile that is the GOP's history. I think republicans would be able to decently spin a withdrawal as meaning the Garland nomination was always a partisan move, which would be a good enough excuse to keep voting R for republicans on the edge, might convince undecideds and independents that are awake at the time, and disappoint democrats looking for their next 'republicans are obviously scum' fix.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dirt posted:

For anyone who was worried about Trump and his big Pivot of not saying something totally nuts for like two days :

My Facebook feed is nothing but people freaking out about Rubio and his abortion comments. While not totally on Trump (yet) it's adding fuel to the anti Trump /Republican narrative. It's also blowing up on Twitter and the top post of /r/Politics right now (not the best indicators admittedly ha).

Maybe Trump will say something horrible when asked about Little Marco's comments too :allears:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/709173580655955971

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Obama is not going to withdraw Garland. In addition to the tactical mistake it would be, it's a huge insult to the man himself. Obama wants Garland on the Supreme Court.

Garland's only major downside is his age. He'll still swing the court to the left.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Casimir Radon posted:

You'd think a loving business major would know

hhhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahh

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

Hey! Be fair. The good Dr. Stein did NOT freak out over radio waves.

She freaked out about WiFi. :downs:

http://wonkette.com/605241/no-jill-stein-wifi-isnt-cooking-our-childrens-brainzzzz

lol

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Geoff Peterson posted:

I'd love thread-takes on a question I've been kicking around for a while.

USPOL! How will Choice-Supportive Bias impact the Democratic Party's future, given the number of Republicans who are voting for Hillary?

Choice-Supportive Bias is the tendency to seek out information supporting and retroactively justify the decision you made. The potential here is that if Hillary enacts her tax plan and other economic policies, social justice reforms, or other programs, Clinton-Voting Republicans are more likely to view those developments as positive changes because they chose the candidate who implemented them. It's basically the concept SedanChair is bitching about upthread (or why a subset of people are convinced Clinton's a DINO) but internecine left angle is so played out. Instead....

Do you think this is a thing? If so, how can Democrats and Progressives utilize it to shift the center in American Politics? Consider that for Anti-Trump Republicans who didn't bail from the party, a similar effect is occurring for those who rallied around the normally unpalatable Ted Cruz.

I'm pretty skeptical. I suspect a lot of Republicans will sit it out/vote third party OR justify voting Hillary as a one-off thing. They're not going to like Hillary, just see her as a necessary evil.

Now if Ted Cruz or some sort of mini-Trump is the 2020 nominee, I think folks will pick up on the trend, but I think folks are writing this off as an anomaly because nobody on the right or even in the center wants to talk about how Trumpism is an inevitable outgrowth of the Republican Party.

Geoff Peterson posted:

If you're not down with Infosec Taylor Swift though, we can't be internet friends :boom:

I've got nothing against Infosec Taylor Swift, but others might, hence my question.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheScott2K posted:

They're right. Voting third party (for loving President, at least) is what people who want to stay home but don't want to have stayed home do.

Oh I agree with it and watching the comments on the article and where they posted it on fb is hilarious. So much salt.

https://www.facebook.com/FPHNews/posts/1171365642886857

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lightning Knight posted:

Nah they didn't vote for that. Which is what I meant, basically. Dumb Parliament putting out a referendum they want to lose but getting sabotaged by disenfranchised and racist white people sticking it to the man. Not in the literal separatist sense.

You know that the Brexit vote had nothing to do with the UK having a parliamentary system, right? We have provisions for referendums at state and local levels in the US, and we could have them on a national level with an amendment. And even that's glossing over the fact that the Brexit referendum was non-binding, and only an issue because David Cameron's government insisted that the results would be followed. You could have one of the parties in the US commission a nationwide poll, swear up and down that they'll follow the results, and effectively have the same thing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WampaLord posted:

Obama is not going to withdraw Garland. In addition to the tactical mistake it would be, it's a huge insult to the man himself. Obama wants Garland on the Supreme Court.

Garland's only major downside is his age. He'll still swing the court to the left.
Agreed except it's not so clear it's a tactical mistake to me. If they confirmed in the lame duck that would show their blatant hypocrisy, but they've been blatant hypocrites for years and it doesn't really seem to matter. However, screwing them over by withdrawing Garland and have Hillary replace Scalia with RBG's younger and hotter and waay more liberal niece would make them think twice about doing something like this again. (Probably, think twice and then do it anyway, but still.)

Democrats need to show Republicans, and perhaps more importantly Republicans donors and controllers, that they aren't just about winning elections, but also about doing everything they can to gently caress them when Republicans do this sort of thing. Really rub their nose in their poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would like to know how exactly that happens, since Republican voters would follow them into hell even if they pissed on the Constitution itself and the Democratic supporters would infight about How Problematic X statement is

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gort posted:

She's only running for President.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As I don't have cable anymore, I feel like a Jill Stein ad would be indistinguishable from a Republican ad.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's only running for President.

I think what he's asking is how many points would she need to be winning by to indicate such a huge electoral wave that the influence on the downticket races would result in a flipped House and Senate. I think such a question is unknowable, but if I'm speculating she'd have to have a blowout in just about every state.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twistedmentat posted:

As I don't have cable anymore, I feel like a Jill Stein ad would be indistinguishable from a Republican ad.

The one I remember was just about how they'll actually solve America's problems, and emphasized systemic racism too.

They didn't say how, just "we'll do this, and I'm Jill Stein and I think that's cool!"

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Tbh the republicans already have control of congress, so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

Nah. It's more like ShitWholeFoodsPeopleSay.txt

"So I said 'I don't care if youre my boss, the WiFi in the building is aggravating my EMS Sensitivity and it has to go"

"I mean, I want to buy the tortilla chips, but, I don't know... Am I culturally appropriating by getting the guacamole too?"

"EXCUSE me, but is this GMO Labelled? I can't feed this to my cat unless I know"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Paradoxish posted:

You know that the Brexit vote had nothing to do with the UK having a parliamentary system, right? We have provisions for referendums at state and local levels in the US, and we could have them on a national level with an amendment. And even that's glossing over the fact that the Brexit referendum was non-binding, and only an issue because David Cameron's government insisted that the results would be followed. You could have one of the parties in the US commission a nationwide poll, swear up and down that they'll follow the results, and effectively have the same thing.

It was my understanding that Cameron used the referendum as a means to bring the Trumpist equivalents in his party in line, and that he proceeded to gently caress up the referendum and make it so he could actually lose it. The closest equivalent in American politics would be the debt crisis, which they were smart enough to not involve regular Americans in via a referendum because they had no political incentive to. You're right that it isn't endemic to parliamentary systems and we could have a similar farce, but there seems to be a lot more mechanics set up in American government to avoid that (and direct participation in general), which is probably a good thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

negativeneil posted:

I think what he's asking is how many points would she need to be winning by to indicate such a huge electoral wave that the influence on the downticket races would result in a flipped House and Senate. I think such a question is unknowable, but if I'm speculating she'd have to have a blowout in just about every state.

So are we pretty much - best case, assuming Trump loses badly - just looking at more of the Obama years, with a Republican-dominated Congress and Senate, and a President who can't actually pass much in the way of worthwhile laws?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gort posted:

So are we pretty much - best case, assuming Trump loses badly - just looking at more of the Obama years, with a Republican-dominated Congress and Senate, and a President who can't actually pass much in the way of worthwhile laws?

Clinton could be more successful in her legislative priorities even if there are still Republicans in control.

Obama recently signed a massive toxic chemical overhaul bill, so it isn't impossible to pass new major legislation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gort posted:

No, there's a pretty good chance Democrats can get the Senate back. This means that appointments can resume (not just SCOTUS but lower level appointments). Judicial decisions will go Lefter and Lefter as time goes on, and you won't get stuff like the Bush Admin EPA.

The downside is that executive power will be expanded as Hillary is forced to do more things without legislative consent (nothing illegal, just grey).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

When it comes to dealing with Congress, yes, it'll be the same thing as Obama since 2010. It's anybody's guess to what degree Hillary's skill as a politician will overcome the Republicans' hatred of her, and so it's a tossup whether or not she finds it easier or harder to pass bipartisan legislation. If the Democrats retake the Senate, which is possible especially if Clinton blows out Trump, then at least some higher-order business can resume, like appointing judges and signing treaties, but it will still be next to impossible to pass actual legislation.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Gort posted:

There is a half way decent chance for the Senate going blue, which would mean solid SC nominees, but the House is very heavily gerrymandered and would require something pretty miraculous even beyond a sustained making GBS threads of the bed by Trump from now til November. If republicans were to get sick of the Tea Party and work with democrats instead, some decent centrist legislation could happen, until such time as they all get primaried.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gort posted:

The Senate might flip. Only takes five seats and it takes, what, maybe a 4 point swing to topple the five most vulnerable Rs up? Go find a map, I'm not certan of the exact numbers. (Note that involves her winning so Kaine casts the tiebreaking vote.)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I want Hillary to withdraw Garland and nominate someone to the left of Joe Stalin because it makes me feel good and drat the consequences.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

Nah. It's more like ShitWholeFoodsPeopleSay.txt

"So I said 'I don't care if youre my boss, the WiFi in the building is aggravating my EMS Sensitivity and it has to go"

"I mean, I want to buy the tortilla chips, but, I don't know... Am I culturally appropriating by getting the guacamole too?"

"EXCUSE me, but is this GMO Labelled? I can't feed this to my cat unless I know"

"A fool and their money will soon be parted" - Whole Food's motto.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

vorebane posted:

There is a half way decent chance for the Senate going blue, which would mean solid SC nominees, but the House is very heavily gerrymandered and would require something pretty miraculous even beyond a sustained making GBS threads of the bed by Trump from now til November. If republicans were to get sick of the Tea Party and work with democrats instead, some decent centrist legislation could happen, until such time as they all get primaried.

Note that a solid SC has the potential to strike down at the very least the most problematic excesses of partisan gerrymandering (several of the existing liberal justices have expressed misgivings about partisan gerrymandering IIRC) and restore the VRA, which goes a long way towards making the House more plausible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have a good feeling that Duckworth will beat Kirk in IL, but it might not be that much of a help because Kirk is pretty consistently the only R willing to cross the aisle on things like gun control, healthcare and appointments. One of the most difficult things about retaking the House will be seats where there are no D challengers. In my district our current R rep, the shitacular Adam Kinzinger, is running completely unopposed. If the Dems don't grow some balls and run someone next election and I'm still living here, I've considered just running myself as an independent just so people have someone else to vote for.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

disjoe posted:

I want Hillary to withdraw Garland and nominate someone to the left of Joe Stalin because it makes me feel good and drat the consequences.

She won't ever ever do this, there's more of a chance she tries to put a moderate in there as to not anger Republicans or to secure her "legacy" as a unifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

She won't ever ever do this, there's more of a chance she tries to put a moderate in there as to not anger Republicans or to secure her "legacy" as a unifier.

I think it's more likely that it will come down to just how badly the GOP pisses her off by the time she takes office.

• Locked thread