Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Which is pretty specific praise.

Though yeah, even with its problems Zeta is pretty good.

There's five UC TV shows if you include the Unicorn recut. Six if you include G-Reco. It's not that narrow a superlative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is RE96 even worth watching if you have access to the Unicorn OVAs? There's barely enough plot to fill seven 1 hour episodes, let alone a full season of half-hour episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's the same content cut for a tv broadcast

It's a good thing because it makes the show more accessible as it's way easier to get the license to stream a tv series compared to an expensive OVA; now I can just tell folks that are interested to hit it up on Crunchyroll instead of buying expensive blu-rays or paying like 5 bux an episode for a 24 hour rental

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It just feels like a poor execution, to be honest. I watched some of the episodes on Gundam Info and having four minute long recaps at the start of each episode to fill out the runtime seems like the laziest way to do things. I prefer watching shows or films in their original formats. I've already said that I feel the film cuts of 0079 hamper the plot progression, because they just don't flow as well as a weekly television series. Working with adaptation is tricky because you either have to make cuts or rearrange things to fit your new format, or you don't and you end up with a plot that begins, but has no follow through.

I might have been let down by Unicorn, but it does work within it's OVA time constraints, and I don't think splitting it up to make a tv series will do any good editing wise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I watched the new Star Trek movie and it jsut confirmed to me again that now is the moment to do a big-budget Hollywood movie trilogy of Gundam. We've got the tech to make it look good, sci-fi and big robots are in, it's already got everything to be a merchandising juggernaut, now is the time!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Kuvo posted:

of the UC tv series, Zeta is by far the best imo

Having watched everything now, I agree with this. It's difficult to explain how but if you watch Zeta, then continue with rest of the shows, you might grow to appreciate it. I still love Turn A out of personal taste but Zeta might just be better overall.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

I watched the new Star Trek movie and it jsut confirmed to me again that now is the moment to do a big-budget Hollywood movie trilogy of Gundam. We've got the tech to make it look good, sci-fi and big robots are in, it's already got everything to be a merchandising juggernaut, now is the time!
Didn't Tomino actually try and make a movie in Hollywood at some point?

I wonder what that would have been like that.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
I've been watching the msg compilation movies on gundaminfo, and I'm confused on this one part in the 2nd movie. When Bright's talking to Mirai about taking Amuro off the gundam, what exactly is Bright's reasoning? The subs say something about him not wanting Amuro to get an ego but that seems... flimsy I guess? White Base is still in danger like 80% of the time, could they really afford to have Amuro not piloting? Or was the implication they'd relegate him to the guntank or guncannon. Either way, Amuro running away in the gundam after was pretty great :haw:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bright is 19 years old.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

I've been watching the msg compilation movies on gundaminfo, and I'm confused on this one part in the 2nd movie. When Bright's talking to Mirai about taking Amuro off the gundam, what exactly is Bright's reasoning? The subs say something about him not wanting Amuro to get an ego but that seems... flimsy I guess? White Base is still in danger like 80% of the time, could they really afford to have Amuro not piloting? Or was the implication they'd relegate him to the guntank or guncannon. Either way, Amuro running away in the gundam after was pretty great :haw:

The general idea is it would be better to have a less skilled pilot in the Gundam that would obey orders instead of doing what he pleased.

And considering how Amuro takes the Gundam away (and thus leaving them vulnerable), it's impossible to say Bright was completely wrong!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ka0 posted:

Having watched everything now, I agree with this. It's difficult to explain how but if you watch Zeta, then continue with rest of the shows, you might grow to appreciate it. I still love Turn A out of personal taste but Zeta might just be better overall.

I feel like Zeta just fits together the best of any UC series. Like it has decent writing and good animation throughout and they use their budget in the right places and even the pacing is okay. Most Gundam series have some sort of critical flaw or just drop the ball at the end but Zeta is very consistent.

In retrospect it's funny that the second ever Gundam series is still one of the best.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It has Jerid.

It has Jerid's Hair.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Jerid constantly getting his poo poo kicked in is the part of what makes Zeta the best.

That and Bright slapping the everyone between burger breaks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerid's series of humiliations culminating with getting judo thrown off a goddamn mountain is indeed one of the best things about zeta.

Also that bit where Kamille tries to be a pacifist and gets his poo poo kicked in by one of the financial backers of AEUG. Also also the way everyone in the dub pronounces "AEUG".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How would you pronounce it? Aug? Eugh?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arcsquad12 posted:

How would you pronounce it? Aug? Eugh?

Just the way they put the emphasis on the second part always makes me laugh. "Ay Yoog" like it's two separate words.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

AEUG

AEUG

John Madden

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Begemot posted:

Jerid's series of humiliations culminating with getting judo thrown off a goddamn mountain is indeed one of the best things about zeta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFrejlT4_9w

its so good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love how Four is just like "yeah I guess that just happened"

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
For whatever reason I'm watching UC shows chronologically, so I'm watching 0083 now and holy poo poo is Monsha the worst. Between Kou being dumb rocks and Gato constantly going off on the Zeon version of 14/88 it takes a lot to stand out as the worst but Monsha does.

However I remember liking Nina the first time I watched 0083 but that was years ago and good lord. Teenage me had some bad opinions there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Crossover with Pacific Rim.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqaZoiL1as

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tulalip Tulips posted:

For whatever reason I'm watching UC shows chronologically, so I'm watching 0083 now and holy poo poo is Monsha the worst. Between Kou being dumb rocks and Gato constantly going off on the Zeon version of 14/88 it takes a lot to stand out as the worst but Monsha does.

However I remember liking Nina the first time I watched 0083 but that was years ago and good lord. Teenage me had some bad opinions there.

In a way, it's actually truly impressive that Kou and Gato are some of the less bad characters in 0083. They really plumbed the depths there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

You'll only be disappointed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Szmitten posted:

You'll only be disappointed.

Well, yeah, 'cause it ain't happening.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kanos posted:

In a way, it's actually truly impressive that Kou and Gato are some of the less bad characters in 0083. They really plumbed the depths there.

Kind of close to real life though!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

That sure is the Transient crossed with the Denial.

Boy I

Boy I sure can't wait for GBF Try S2. :geno:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

That sure is the Transient crossed with the Denial.

Boy I

Boy I sure can't wait for GBF Try S2. :geno:

We're never going to see something as awesome as Tryon 3 again, are we? :(

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Heck, odds are it's not going to be any worse than Try, at least?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its a beach special of try.

In what world is that likely to be better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It looks bland and boring and I'm not expecting the new BFT stuff to be good, but this actually looks like a kitbash, which is a good thing. One of the problems with BFT is that a lot of the new designs didn't actually look like something put together by a model maker.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

We're never going to see something as awesome as Tryon 3 again, are we? :(

I have good news https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_series

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

Its a beach special of try.

In what world is that likely to be better.

Beach eps are cool

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

After the Abigorbine in the first BF, I keep wanting a King Gainer reference mech.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Srice posted:

Beach eps are cool

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lemon-Lime posted:

It looks bland and boring and I'm not expecting the new BFT stuff to be good, but this actually looks like a kitbash, which is a good thing. One of the problems with BFT is that a lot of the new designs didn't actually look like something put together by a model maker.

I like the ZZ II for much the same reason, though this is cheating a bit as the base for this one is another supposed kitbash, but at least one with an aesthetic consistent with one of the Gundam settings. The R-Gyangya was good too, but there is the problem of the base kit it's supposedly made from not existing. If I were to get the Transient Denial or whatever I'd be painting over the clear parts. I would have liked the Hydra/Deathscythe fusion we saw in the flashbacks as a precursor to Gundam The End too.

But I got the impression the "enemy team" will be the ZZ II, Gyancelot and the "00[N]yant" so at least one set of cool suits and characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe they'll give Sekai a personality.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm in the last 10 episodes of Victory, i can do it. I can push the rest of this dumb show, that being said I've been enjoying it more as of some of the latest episodes I've watched, so I can't say I'm not enthused to see how this turns out.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Baal posted:

I'm in the last 10 episodes of Victory, i can do it. I can push the rest of this dumb show, that being said I've been enjoying it more as of some of the latest episodes I've watched, so I can't say I'm not enthused to see how this turns out.

Stand up to the Victory. You're almost there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Logicblade posted:

Stand up to the Victory. You're almost there!

Finish it, you've gotten this far now.