Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My name is classy and sophisticated. Its an old family name.

Also, did yall have a problem with Slipknot being in the movie for 30 seconds? It was kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mango sentinel posted:

Any time Harley is interacting with someone aside from the other members of the squad it's just really squicky.

The gently caress does "squicky" mean?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ButtWolf posted:

Also, did yall have a problem with Slipknot being in the movie for 30 seconds? It was kind of weird.

I feel like a lot of the problems of Suicide Squad wouldn't be there if it was willing to actually kill off a large portion of the squad. Though I guess with the PG-13 rating that was never in the cards.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ButtWolf posted:

Point taken. Did you have to be an rear end in a top hat about it? I would understand if I had a history of it but I rarely post. What you just posted right there was plenty sufficient for me take a look at how I view things and did not upset me. Lets all be better.
Derail over. Sorry.

Im an rear end in a top hat about it because most people who make those arguments have already made their mind up about the PC Police and their evil robocop forces destroying comics/movies/video games and the only recourse is to make fun of them until they go away.

It's cool that you are willing to examine your opinions though so sorry for bein a dick. Not like completely sorry because those are some huge rear end sexist cliches regardless but like 65% sorry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BiggerBoat posted:

The gently caress does "squicky" mean?

quote:

squicky
1. To make one feel sick or disgusted.
2. To squick over a bizarre and distasteful situation.
3. My friend Brad in a speedo. *mentally squicking right now*
ie. "Dumbledore, McGonnagall and the Giant Squid are having a threesome and Ron is getting it on videotape."

"That squicks me muchly."

"I am completely squicked at the image."

"How squicky!!"

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was technically a good move on Capt Boomerangs part, although huge dick move

Croc was not good either, you dont have to make him growl every time he is in frame. Akin to all menacing robots that have deep growls. Hate it.

Travis343 posted:

though so sorry for bein a dick. Not like completely sorry because those are some huge rear end sexist cliches regardless but like 65% sorry.

65% accepted. :) Seriously someone pm me links explaining all this poo poo better or I wont learn.

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 7, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think going in with lowered expectations made me enjoy it a lot more than I thought I was going to. As others have said, Smith, Robbie and Davis really give it their all with what is oft clunky and silly dialog. The music was over used, but it was all good tracks. If they had spaced it out more it would have worked a lot better.

More specific spoiler stuff, first about the Joker Holy loving poo poo what the gently caress was that garbage? He wasn't the Joker, he was just some pimped out gangsta with green hair. He felt like some kind of joke about out of touch execs trying to make a character cooler and more modern. I really doubt this Joker would have a killer joy buzzer or poison people with gas that make them smile in rigger. He looks like he's about to break into a rap about how awesome he is. Thing is, there was elements that could have worked as a more traditional Joker, the voice was good, even the look minus that tattoos was fine. They clearly looked at the source material because they had the Alex Ross cover in the movie. Did they think just having his gang use silly costumes when killing people would make him all Jokery?

Then Enchantress not really a character i was familiar with, but at first, I was thinking "Why do people say this is really bad? They're doing some cool effects, she's creepy, I love the shot with the mirror. The smokey effects and over all presentation kind of covers up the weird bikini thing she's got going on". Then we get stage 2 Enchantress, and well, what the hell? She turned into the boss from Final Fantasy 8, and what the hell was with her shaking her rear end while casting the spell, plus the dialog and the syncing with the actors lips was atrocious. Also the whole "Oh she's dead, oh wait she's not" god drat.

some more general stuff I liked Katana, I thought her outfit was really cool. Digger was a good comedic Leif, and I was 100% right that Slipknot was going to be the one who got his head blown off and El Diablo was the one to make a heroic sacrifice. I think it was kind of hilarious that he was trying to be a normal family man with loving skulls and poo poo tattooed on his face.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
It really is indefensible that this movie features at least four characters with ridiculous face tattoos, not to mention the goddamn Batman gets his life saved by an 8 year old.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

mycot posted:

I feel like a lot of the problems of Suicide Squad wouldn't be there if it was willing to actually kill off a large portion of the squad. Though I guess with the PG-13 rating that was never in the cards.

Would anyone really have noticed if they killed Croc and Boomerang?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, because Boomerang was great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Funnily enough Harley and Joker got the biggest positive reception from the screening I went to but then again there were three women dressed as Harley at the screening (and one Katana).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Alright, I went and saw the movie, so it's now time for SonicRulez's hot takes.

I'll start with Bats since he bookends the movie. Holy poo poo, please do not let this be the way Batman is in this DCCU. I marked out for Batman, don't get me wrong. Flash too. Seeing heroes show up in stories that aren't there own is fun in and of itself. But all of those Batman appearances sucked complete rear end. In the first one he's using Deadshot's daughter as a human shield, in the second of COURSE he has to give Harley passionate mouth to mouth (I'm coming the gently caress back to this), and in the end even Waller knows his identity. I know that's a thing that just sorta happens around her, but between her and Lex and all of the heroes I'm beginning to doubt he even has a secret identity.

Leto's Joker is...I dunno, okay? Joker as a wigger tryhard gangster isn't as awful as I thought it was going to be. His laugh wasn't good, but I've heard Hamill's, so he never had a chance. He's not really in the movie much for me to give a poo poo. I spotted something like "Accomplice to the murder of Robin" in Harley's intro, so I hope they go back and tell that story. I don't think he needed to be here. Totally superfluous which is doubly annoying considering he was such a oval office behind the scenes.

Lord, the sexism in this movie. Everyone has to eyefuck Harley. Of COURSE she was Joker's private stripper. Of COURSE she drowns so Batman can make out with her a little. She doesn't even add anything to the team. She's just there for T&A. Enchantress...my god. Worst superhero movie villain ever? Are her powers twerk-activated? Can she only transform the soldiers individually by kissing them? Why? Just...no. Her being on the screen was time for peak giving out. Every scene with her in it that isn't the little hand forming under her and flipping over when she goes from June to Enchantress is garbage. Every single scene. And since she's the crux of the movie, the plot of the film folds in on itself. It can't help but to also suck because she's terrible. And while we're on about goofy poo poo, big middle finger to Killer Croc requesting BET. I get it, Waylon's black. gently caress off.

The editing/pacing/whatever of the movie was awkward. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing the proper term. I'm not a movie buff. There were just beats that I did not understand. Deadshot goes charging into the building and Flag is all "Deadshot stand down!" and then in the next...I dunno, millisecond, he's standing next to him "Mind if we tag along?" What was the point in that? I thought I fell asleep or something. Those two scenes do not at all make sense. When did Harley get ahead and go up the elevator? What was the point in THAT as well? Tying back into Joker having no business being here, why does he show up to take Harley only for her to be separated from him again within 30 seconds? She betrays the team, joins Joker, and then is back with the team all within about 3 minutes. And nobody even brings it up for the rest of the movie, it's just a weird thing that happens. It happens for the sake of having her twirl on a rope I guess?

I really couldn't believe Waller shot those agents upon her escape. I know we're not meant to root for her or anything, but that felt pretty wildly out of character. Even for her, that was dark. It took me out of the movie for a little while there. And Flag is such a weak character that he doesn't even meaningfully add to that scene. Rewinding a bit, why the hell does this movie have flashbacks to things that happened in this movie? When Flag recounted the Enchantress escape story I thought he was going to show us something that we didn't see earlier. Like we the audience had been tricked. Nope, just the movie making sure we're all still awake after how fuckin dull the middle is. Oh hey, it's Slipknot! He got no introduction at all and has like 3 lines. I wonder how important he's gonna be! The middle is not good. Hell, the entire back half is not good in any way.

But that's all of my giving out. My favorite character coming out of it is Diablo. I'm kind of a sucker for heartwarming stuff, I just am. That scene where they tried to recruit him at first was the first thing in the movie that I genuinely enjoyed. I liked all of his scenes. So naturally they killed him. I don't think the DCCU was ever meant for me. All those other members that nobody could possibly give a poo poo about and they kill Diablo. One of like 3 members with an actual character arc, backstory, and endearing qualities. Robbie and Smith do a fantastic job. I think it's funny that I raised the most eyebrows over Smith as Deadshot and Affleck as Batman yet they do the best job of anyone in any of these movies. It's been a long time since I saw Big Willie.

You know what my assessment of Suicide Squad is? It's McDonalds. It's Taco Bell. It's whatever fast food you like. It's not good, obviously, but drat it if I don't like it. That's the weirdest thing about this movie. I actually had to debate with myself if it's a good movie dragged down or a bad movie uplifted. I think it's the latter and I get why critics are being so hard on it. It's not as bad as they make it seem, but it is difficult to pull through when the main plot of the movie is a dumpster fire and most of the main cast isn't well-acted. At the end of this, I think they need to keep Robbie and Smith on, and then trash the rest. Just chuck it all in the bin and start from scratch. Not reboot it, but rethink the path going forward. I think people are afraid to say they like a bad movie.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 7, 2016

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DynamicSloth posted:

It really is indefensible that this movie features at least four characters with ridiculous face tattoos, not to mention the goddamn Batman gets his life saved by an 8 year old.

The latter of these complaints is the thing that briefly got my hopes up about the movie. It felt like one of the only pieces of characterization they did right, but maybe that was entirely accidental or I misconstrued something that was going on.

Edit: Reading the post above, did Batman actually use Floyd's daughter as a human shield? I thought she stepped in the way on her own volition, and Batman being Batman he knew Floyd's kid would get through to him.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 7, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You might have a CPR fetish, man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Cabbit posted:

Edit: Reading the post above, did Batman actually use Floyd's daughter as a human shield? I thought she stepped in the way on her own volition, and Batman being Batman he knew Floyd's kid would get through to him.

I'm not really sure I see a ton of difference in that. He stood behind the kid because he knew Deadshot wouldn't risk the shot. In any other story that would be Batman with a batarang and Riddler hiding behind a child. I know it's a slide into NOT MY BATMAN (TM) but it was still a pretty lovely superhero moment to have him just kinda chill behind the kid until Deadshot gave up.

Aphrodite posted:

You might have a CPR fetish, man.

Modern CPR is only chest compressions. That's why it was so stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's just the recommendation for untrained people. If you know what you're doing, you're supposed to do mouth to mouth too.

Batman would have CPR training.

Edit: I'm not adding another post because this conversation is loving stupid.

vvv Not if they have a pulse. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 7, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Batman would also know that you start with the compressions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's just the recommendation for untrained people. If you know what you're doing, you're supposed to do mouth to mouth too.

Batman would have CPR training.

Edit: I'm not adding another post because this conversation is loving stupid.

vvv Not if they have a pulse. vvv

You also have to take into consideration what the audience expects over what is technically accurate. If he had just started doing compressions you'd have people confused about why he wasn't also doing rescue breaths.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Saw Suicide Squad, its got some funny moments but on the whole it's an editing mess and really not what that trailer made you think once you get pass the first act.

First act was totally a work of post-production, the Top 40s FM soundtrack is mostly present there, then there's like forty minutes until another popular song is played, there's also the flashbacks that explain the characters happening then which were... oddly "powerful", like you got poo poo about how hosed up Harley and Joker's relationship is, you got Will Smith trying to be a good father, half of Diablo's explanation, a gag scene with Boomerang and some vague stuff with Killer Croc, it works as stages of depression but they were too big for the first act, like i'm sitting here wondering why should I care about Will Smith trying to raise his daughter and have her taken away from him four minutes after meeting him? I get the feeling that Ayer's original intention that didn't do as well with test audiences would've sprinkled the flashbacks throughout the film so they're stronger thanks to their placement, specially because it made Slipknot's death all the more obvious. We get every flashback and then it's like "Oh hey, there's a guy named Slipknot that wasn't marketed" you wonder why you never heard of it, then you get Katana and she gets her flashback immediately so, of course, before the first proper action scene starts Slipknot dies.

Film about the stages of grief represented as villain characters, sure, it's neat, Flag is Denial, Katana is Anger, Will Smith is Bargain, Croc is probably Depression and Diablo is Acceptance, Harley also works as Denial but i'm putting her sorta above since she's a doctor (though wrongly calls Will Smith a Sociopath, term that hasn't been actually valid for years) that knows how this actually works and her grief comes flatly at the end of the second act (Joker's "aaAAAhh" was funny tho). So of course, Diablo being a latino and also the embodiment of acceptance, dies in a Y-7 Mortal Kombat fight that was filmed months after primary shooting ending, otherwise why was everything so utterly foggy for no reason.

The villain has nothing to do with our heroes, Will Smith, Harley Quinn and their sidekicks never meet her until the final fight, she also has a brother who does most of the interactions and she just lets him die. Deadshot's mask is dumb. Jared Leto is a boring Joker. It's nice that Joker is just a lamp there for Harley's motivations tho. Idk how some explosives stopped this ethereal portal of unexplained doom. Most of the second act is just boring action, the cast gets two scenes to be an ensemble that bounces off each other, Kroc and Boomerang are barely present and yeah this is just pretty flat.

Why the heck didn't The Flash do anything about the conflict of the movie?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There are so many other things to get hung up on in this movie besides a loving CPR scene that there was nothing wrong with.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ButtWolf posted:

My name is classy and sophisticated. Its an old family name.

No, i've seen Assault on Arkham. I knew one of them would have their blown off.

Which is what this movie should've been.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 7, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Slipknot biting it was exactly what happened in the comics so I had no problem with it.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

X-O posted:

How big of a chain is it? Are we talking all across the country? If so it could really hurt the movie's international numbers and that would be a huge blow after also losing out on getting it in China.

They claim to be the sixth largest chain in the world, with 295 locations across the country. So yeah, I guess it really hurt Suicide Squad's numbers that they didn't show it.

And I now have seen it. I really liked it, for anyone who said BvS was too dour or dark, this seems like it would be right up their alley.

As for the "problematic" stuff:

Harley came across like the angle they have pushed since day one with her, as a stand-in for women in abusive relationships. It did make the point that the Joker sees her more as a possession than a partner, but I didn't like that all the sick poo poo she does/endures is OK because of LOOOOOVEEE! And that part with her getting naked in the middle of a camp felt more like a joke that fell flat because of the editing ("Everyone is doing their bad-rear end suit-up, but hey, they're still under heavy vigilance!")

Enchantress was not as bad as I was expecting from what you guys said. Seems like they wanted to go the Silent Hill 2 route of horror with her, where you feel more scared at something that is very sexual, but that only came together at the last battle where she goes full demonic poo poo instead of sexily posing and moving around. If it was more of that instead of the weirdly cleaned-up version of her in the second act, that would've been good.

That all seems to stand up more because they really got Katana right. Even if she's a goddamn stereotype, she was done right: she's a badass crime-fighting samurai woman, and even if she was kind of sexy, you knew she wasn't to be trifled with. Even got some good drama with her origin. Which only makes Harley and Enchantress more of a :psyduck: for me.

I did like that Joker was kind of incidental to the plot. To borrow a term from the Arkham games LPs, I was afraid that the movie would get Joker-jacked, but it's good that he only appears in small chunks. And yeah, it felt like they were trying a little too hard with this version of the Joker.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

site posted:

I'm surprised Martyrs isn't on that list for the same reason

My guess would be that Martyrs got a more limited release whereas Bug and Wolf Creek snuck their way into wide release

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

There are so many other things to get hung up on in this movie besides a loving CPR scene that there was nothing wrong with.

Nobody is hung up on it and I flat disagree that there's nothing wrong. It's just more and more of the fact that Harley physically cannot be on screen without something sexual happening. I get that it's Harley Quinn, but there should be a limit. It might be different if Enchantress weren't written the exact same way. It's not that Batman gave her CPR. I think it's dumb that they wrote a beat that has to end in Batman putting his mouth on Harley's so she can kiss him.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

It was technically a good move on Capt Boomerangs part, although huge dick move

Croc was not good either, you dont have to make him growl every time he is in frame. Akin to all menacing robots that have deep growls. Hate it.

65% accepted. :) Seriously someone pm me links explaining all this poo poo better or I wont learn.

Idk if you are being sincere it not but ...
Not a link but sexualization of victims of abuse is gross because victims of abuse often suffer sexual violence, as well as female inmates who also often suffer sexual assault while incarcerated. A woman "using her sexuality" to control men should not be played for laughs not only because it's been done to death but it's often a woman's last recourse, (can't get poo poo done another way, completely out of options etc) a symptom of past abuse and also implies that men "just can't help themselves" around anyone who happens to have a vagina.

The male gaze type scenes in film are seriously something you'll notice in almost every movie (especially blockbusters) once you start paying attention. It's not only proliferate but potentially alienating to 50% of an audience assuming you even care if women see your movie. It also tends to be the most characterization given to the leading lady (sexy object who the leading man obviously deserved, btw have we shown how hot she is???)

There's a lot more nuanced stuff, especially when it comes to intersectionality and how black women are portrayed in media, but just do some googling man.

My suggestion? Go watch the Emmy award nominated Lemonade by Beyonce!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ButtWolf posted:

That's basically how it went down in the comics.

Though he didn't *die*, just got his arm blown to bits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Harle's fight stuff was pretty good, there wasn't any lingering rear end shots or anything, but there was one scene where she wasn't in a fight where she wasn't over sexualized. After the Joker's chopper goes down, she's sitting there on the car in the rain sadly, and then when she sees the gang show up she instantly changes to a sexy pose and puts back on the "everyone wants to gently caress me" attitude. If the movie had played up more than it was all an act that she does, it would have been somewhat excusable. I am glad I'm not the only one who read Batman just going in for a snog rather than giving her CPR because that is sure as hell how the scene is shot.

I gotta say, I had to laugh every time something really obviously Toronto showed up in the movie. It's weird they'd change some signs, but others they switched.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So why not just make a Deadshot movie? Sorta like how Civil War was Cap 3 ft. The Avengers. Deadshot ft. The Suicide Squad would've helped out a lot, I think.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SonicRulez posted:

So why not just make a Deadshot movie? Sorta like how Civil War was Cap 3 ft. The Avengers. Deadshot ft. The Suicide Squad would've helped out a lot, I think.

Because the way you make Avengers box office is by throwing everyone together in a team. Just skip to that bit, watch the money come rolling in :downsgun:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Suicide Squad pulled down an estimated 135 million first weekend, which is slightly below BoxOfficeMojo's tracking (138 million) but significantly above Warner's tracking (100-120 million). Estimated worldwide cume so far is 267 first weekend. If BvS' first weekend box office is precedent SS should bow with about 530-550 total worldwide box office (BvS did 165 domestic and 256 foreign for a 420 million worldwide first weekend leading to an 867 million total worldwide cume).

The first weekend for a DCEU movie, so far, always seems to do very-to-extremely well (as all the diehards and people who prepurchased tickets go see it), with dramatic drop offs continuing forward. If the trend continues we're looking at a sub-50 million dollar second weekend for SS, possibly even more considering how much weaker the brand is than BvS, which itself had a 70% drop in tickets going into weekend two.

It will definitely be interesting to see what WB/DC does with SS moving forward. We saw how they reacted after the mild disappointment (but still technical "success") that was BvS - costly reshoots on this film, tone changes on Justice League, executive reshuffling, a general feeling of desperation and reactionary moves. If Suicide Squad's genuinely unprofitable (which it very well could be depending on how close or far away from 600 million this movie grosses worldwide, and will almost certainly be if that rumored "SS has to gross 750-800 million to be profitable" rumor is true) we're gonna see some loving fireworks from WB/DC's film studios.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think at worst WB will pull some of the smaller films, like they could dump Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman solo movies, keep WW and JL which are already shooting/pro production. Then have a bunch of Batman vs Joker movies becuase they realized thats all people want to see.

This isn't a spoiler,. but the scene with the joker laying in a circle of knives, you know that scene was just to stick it on a poster and sell it to kids in slipknot tshirts.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Every scene with him doing anything was just to slap it on a poster/t-shirt. It's odd seeing how little he mattered.

Ha, Slipknot shirts. That's a good one.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been seeing a lot of chatter lately about the imminently bursting bubble that is the Hollywood studio blockbuster, with BvS and SS specifically noted as canaries in the coalmine. I can definitely see the argument that gambling enormous fortunes on things that must succeed to keep the studio solvent while at the same time fundamentally misunderstanding why people wanted to see movies based on Hasbro Property: Transformers and not Hasbro Property: Battleship is a ticking time bomb.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

Batman vs Joker movies becuase they realized thats all people want to see.

I don't think that's true at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

I've been seeing a lot of chatter lately about the imminently bursting bubble that is the Hollywood studio blockbuster, with BvS and SS specifically noted as canaries in the coalmine. I can definitely see the argument that gambling enormous fortunes on things that must succeed to keep the studio solvent while at the same time fundamentally misunderstanding why people wanted to see movies based on Hasbro Property: Transformers and not Hasbro Property: Battleship is a ticking time bomb.

We'll have to see where it ends up but Suicide Squad had the biggest August opening ever beating the last one (GotG) by over $40 million.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

muscles like this? posted:

For the lack of the Joker in the movie, Jared Leto is saying that quite a few of his scenes ended up being cut.
It's a real shame they all weren't cut

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Saw it today and liked it more than I expected to. But then again I also liked the new Ghostbusters and didn't have BvS so I am probably just a bad poster with terrible taste.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Nah, that's a totally normal reaction. Someone said it was on a tier with the newest Fantastic Four and that's just blatantly uncalled for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Suicide Squad was pretty good. Perfectly entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. The reviews are just histrionic, and can pretty much be ignored. It's a genre movie, but people seem to be reviewing it like it's supposed to be something greater than that. It's a movie in the mold of Tarantino and Rodriguez-- updating old action, war, and heist movie tropes by sticking them in a blender.

Leto's Joker was a pretty interesting take, to me. Making him this pimp/gangster character fit the tone of the movie. He seemed unpredictable and frightening in a more grounded way (excepting the last act). I've never read or seen anything with Harley Quinn before, but thought Robbie was pretty good-- I liked the framing of her and Joker's relationship as a Mickey and Mallory Knox-type thing. Didn't love Killer Croc, but the rest of the team was pretty good. Unexpectedly really enjoyed WIll Smith's Deadshot.

The only thing I really could have done without was the big bad being so supernatural-- save that stuff for a Justice League Dark movie or something. That last big scene was basically the same kind of boring crap that's been served up too often lately.

• Locked thread