Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Geop's a Lithophile.
An enthusiast, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Geop's gonna lock the thread if you all keep prying. I mean it's been so long I lost count of the updates without the thread being locked, why not keep it that way.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Geop posted:

I'm not a geologist!! ! ! <:mad:>

Also, update possibly coming today? Or tomorrow. There's a bit of wiggle room depending on what my schedule does.

Fine, fine. Geographist. Or Geografist :black101:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So uh hey how about them cornhuskers?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

IronSaber posted:

So uh hey how about them cornhuskers?
this guy gets it

(Also update probably coming tonight; just need to sync things up and do a few quick edits)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Also update probably coming tonight

yes this one :getin:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

loving magical.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, that secret tree would be the first since they took it out of the tutorial for Scholars.

Also backstabbing that guy? RUDE.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I broke my Trident from dancing too much. :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Since you wanted to know: falling in Dark Souls is very weird and is mostly manual work by the devs tagging every collision triangle with a fall damage multiplier. I think the idea is that it's material-dependent, e.g. stone should hurt more than dirt, but there are cases they nerf fall damage for required drops. Otherwise, the damage taken is based on time "spent falling", but the game doesn't always have a consistent view of fall states, especially when sliding or falling down large surfaces.

When Dark Souls 2 PC first came out, it was 60fps vs. 30fps on consoles. Fall damage was doubled since it was measured based on frames, so it's possible that the videos you saw were from that era. The "durability bug" was also caused by this. I say "durability bug" because Scholar's patches fixed the double-frame-count bug and made it consistent for all framerates, but they just doubled the durability loss, so it's like as if the bug was still there.

There are also plenty of other weird frame-based bugs in the Souls franchise -- my favorite being that on 60FPS, in Dark Souls 2, if you look at the sky "too fast", the sun sprite just doesn't spawn. Patched in Scholar, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I too thought that jump was quite a pain in regards to getting that item.

Then I looked up.

Which caused me to boggle at how many people suggest to jump from that ledge.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I was screaming at my screen when Geop looked up and there was the bridge and he didn't make the connection.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, I love how Geop made the jump perfectly on the second try, but didn't get the item... purely because nobody told him how to not roll when you land. :v:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, I love how Geop made the jump perfectly on the second try, but didn't get the item... purely because nobody told him how to not roll when you land. :v:
Can you jump without rolling in DS2? I think the roll gets cancelled sometimes if you collide into something, but I don't think you can do it intentionally outside of DS3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Try plunging attack.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You need to do a plunging attack, that'll stop you good. Also yes, no need to jump this particular item.

The NEXT zone, however, does have an especially nasty jump with no ifs and buts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GOD it's so easy, just completely stop your momentum in midair you loving SCRUB

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Seriously. Falling downwards is the most natural thing in the world :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fister Roboto posted:

GOD it's so easy, just completely stop your momentum in midair you loving SCRUB
Oh no, it's still a pain in the rear end, it's just literally to only way to do it halfway consistent at all. But plunging attacks in DS2 are weirdly garbage in general and this absolutely extends to using them as a momentum-stopper.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ah, that dancing move is magical. Reminds me of jolly co-operations

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm so happy that geop has gone from "I'm too polite for PvP" to the rudest backstab ever

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

IronSaber posted:

I broke my Trident from dancing too much. :v:

But you have immortalized yourself in the LP!

Also the backstab Geop delivered was loving magical. :allears:

The retribution you delivered followed by the "no no!" gesture was also magical.

Anyway, towards the end of the video we see one of those oddities I talked about. You can knock down that tree as a shortcut, which in Dark Souls 1 would be quite welcome so you could cut around the dark fun-house you had to go through originally. But this is Dark Souls 2; where there is a bonfire immediately after that log that you can warp to arbitrarily, less than a minute from the area's first bonfire. :psyduck:

I feel like that second bonfire would be another case of "this didn't need to be here at all", but that bonfire was also there in the network beta, so that was probably planned out before it was decided that you could just warp around freely. In any case, the existence of that shortcut is something of an oddity given how the final game works.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 7, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I too thought that jump was quite a pain in regards to getting that item.

Then I looked up.

Which caused me to boggle at how many people suggest to jump from that ledge.

That method is for wussies. ledge jump or bust.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also remember that "No bonfire" runs are a thing. So there needs to be ways back other than teleporting. IIRC anyway.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Tylana posted:

Also remember that "No bonfire" runs are a thing. So there needs to be ways back other than teleporting. IIRC anyway.

How does that even work? Every time you die, you get sent back to Things Betwixt?

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

IronSaber posted:

How does that even work? Every time you die, you get sent back to Things Betwixt?

I think it's permadeath :unsmigghh:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Probably, though if you are doing the no bonfire run you are probably doing the no death run as well, since there are rewards for both of those.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

IronSaber posted:

"No bonfire" runs aren't about not touching bonfires, but instead about not actively resting at them. The challenge is then that you're never refreshing your offensive/defensive resources or swapping spells out in an "easy" manner beyond the use of consumables like lifegems and so on. (For obvious reasons this is much easier on NG+.) If you just touch a bonfire to activate it, that's fine for the traditional conditions. Hence the usual trick is either to die (which replenishes resources but is not preferred) or to use a Homeward Bone to warp back to the last bonfire you touched.

And if you haven't touched any bonfires, you just respawn at the Greek-style ruins in Things Betwixt instead.

Edit: The other reason that shortcut in Huntsman's Copse is useful is because the area is a minor PvP hotspot. "Opening" that shortcut thus expands the emergent arena.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 7, 2016

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Wiki suggests you can light bonfires to change your respawn point. But yeah, if you are that crazy, a no-death run might be folded in.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Getting almost legit mad at Goonther sitting on all these messages/bloodstains for multiple seconds and not interacting with them :mad:

I didn't like this area, for reasons Geop will probably see in the next episode :unsmigghh:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I didn't find Huntsman's Copse all that difficult--pretty easy, in fact, outside of a couple of annoyances. The next proper area, though, was a pain in my rear end.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
You can make that jump easily if you just run off the ledge.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Geop's reaction to the stealthy arrow made me think of the Venom as a bird comic.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Geop, I laughed my rear end off at your Aaron Burr joke even if nobody else did.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Oh no, it's still a pain in the rear end, it's just literally to only way to do it halfway consistent at all. But plunging attacks in DS2 are weirdly garbage in general and this absolutely extends to using them as a momentum-stopper.

I know I was joking :(

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pinechild posted:

Geop, I laughed my rear end off at your Aaron Burr joke even if nobody else did.

The odd thing I was thinking about that commercial either yesterday afternoon of Friday, so that was odd.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The odd thing I was thinking about that commercial either yesterday afternoon of Friday, so that was odd.

I knew I remembered that pronunciation from somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSsswr6z9Y

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I hadn't seen the DS1 LP and checked it out, I can't believe you beat Capra Demon on your first try. That fucker took me at around two dozen tries you jerk. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I did a no-bonfire run to perfect my Saber cosplay build. It's actually not hard at all since you can light bonfires to act as checkpoints, as long as you don't sit down. The real challenge of it is hanging onto your souls and upgrade materials for entire map spokes.

• Locked thread