Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Choadmaster posted:

Yikes. Last time I had a physical I just asked the doctor for the TDAP and it was done in minutes. Maybe it's more common around here because California keeps having outbreaks.

Yeah same. That's odd no one would give you a TDAP, it's incredibly common and a required booster for adults who work in hospitals etc so there shouldn't be any restrictions on availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

That Works posted:

Yeah same. That's odd no one would give you a TDAP, it's incredibly common and a required booster for adults who work in hospitals etc so there shouldn't be any restrictions on availability.
The hospital where my baby was born *would* have done it, but they said I had to check myself out, check in again and wait (probably hours) to do it. A bit of unnecessary bureaucracy that I didn't want to deal with at the same time as dealing with a newborn. And I assumed it would be quite simple to get it (boy was I wrong.) I know there's a pharmacy in a nearby city that will do it (by appointment) but my baby is 3 now, hardly seems worth it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BarbarianElephant posted:

The hospital where my baby was born *would* have done it, but they said I had to check myself out, check in again and wait (probably hours) to do it. A bit of unnecessary bureaucracy that I didn't want to deal with at the same time as dealing with a newborn. And I assumed it would be quite simple to get it (boy was I wrong.) I know there's a pharmacy in a nearby city that will do it (by appointment) but my baby is 3 now, hardly seems worth it.

Are you in the United States? I got my last TDaP at the county department of public health. $10 a vax visit, for as many shots as they can cram into you! (Except varicella, they don't give varicella to people over 18 because it's expensive and the assumption is anyone over 18 who hasn't already been vaxxed against it probably already had chickenpox. Which left me in a vacuum as I haven't and have zero titers but no one wanted to give it to me, I was at the time uninsured, and it's over $300 for the full course).

I'd get it if you could because you still know people with babies, right? Like your 3 year old probably has playmates who might be acquiring younger siblings soon? You don't want to increase the risk to other people's babies.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yeah, here my ob straight up told me I'd get a tdap booster when I hit 7 months, before I even give birth. And all vaccines are free if you're uninsured. Every doctors office has a sign that if you can't pay for vaccines the state will pay.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Fionnoula posted:

Are you in the United States? I got my last TDaP at the county department of public health. $10 a vax visit, for as many shots as they can cram into you!

Yeah, I got that done when I immigrated. It was a hellish 3 hour line. It'd be quicker to make an appointment at the pharmacy in the next city that I mentioned.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Yeah, I got that done when I immigrated. It was a hellish 3 hour line. It'd be quicker to make an appointment at the pharmacy in the next city that I mentioned.

Ouch. I've never had more than a couple people in there when I've gone. I just try to avoid school enrollment periods, when everyone suddenly realizes their kid isn't up to date and rushes down there the day before the paperwork is due.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Good news, everyone! 40 Harvard students have been diagnozed with Mumps, and all of them have been previously vaccinated!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That loving sucks, particularly as mumps in later life can lead to infertility.

Can't we just burn the world and salt the earth so we can never return already? We're too loving stupid to survive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's not all bad. The parents who let their kid die of meningitis in Alberta were convicted, and god willing, they get the full sentence -- based on their statements, it's clear they have yet to accept responsibility for their actions and do not understand why their actions were wrong.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
To reiterate, all those diagnosed were vaccinated. So it's either a matter of the lowering efficacy of the vaccine with time not being properly taken into account, or there really has been some kind of Merck cover-up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To reiterate, all those diagnosed were vaccinated. So it's either a matter of the lowering efficacy of the vaccine with time not being properly taken into account, or there really has been some kind of Merck cover-up.

That's not as surprising as you may think. Following CDC recommendations (one mumps vaccine as an infant, another at age 6-8), you still only have ~88% effectiveness at preventing the disease. And if only a single dose is received, some studies have found that the effectiveness could be as low at 50%. The article doesn't specify whether Harvard requires vaccination records showing a full course of vaccination or if they'd accept a single course.

Given these numbers, only 40 people catching Mumps during an outbreak is extremely good. This could be taken as evidence that their quarantine procedures are having a significant impact. Case in point, if the entire student body of Harvard was simultaneously exposed to Mumps but had received a full course of vaccinations as children, you could still expect 2500 people to get sick. I don't think that this says anything about the effectiveness of the vaccine that isn't already known; vaccination does not confer complete immunity for everyone, it just significantly boosts your chance of being immune.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

QuarkJets posted:

That's not as surprising as you may think. Following CDC recommendations (one mumps vaccine as an infant, another at age 6-8), you still only have ~88% effectiveness at preventing the disease. And if only a single dose is received, some studies have found that the effectiveness could be as low at 50%. The article doesn't specify whether Harvard requires vaccination records showing a full course of vaccination or if they'd accept a single course.

According to their website they require full course of vaccination. You can start a course before your first semester but must complete the course before registration of your second. The number is low considering the number of students they have on campus. Harvard does allow health and religious exemptions from vaccine requirements.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought the whole anti-vaccination thing came from a bad game of telephone. I can see shooting your kids up with too many antibiotics when they're young and then having them eat crap food and not exercise will mess up their body.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

I didn't want to deal with the hospital either so I literally walked across the street to Walgreens from the hopsital and asked to get a shot, I was in and out in less than 10 mins.

amuayse posted:

I thought the whole anti-vaccination thing came from a bad game of telephone. I can see shooting your kids up with too many antibiotics when they're young and then having them eat crap food and not exercise will mess up their body.

I have 10 week early twins. They are 4 now and one of them had to be pumped full of antibiotics because an infection happened, I asked why there was an infection and they had a really slick answer that was quite insulting. The one that got the antibiotics seems fine and as healthy as the other, could problems show up later?

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 6, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have 10 week early twins. They are 4 now and one of them had to be pumped full of antibiotics because an infection happened, I asked why there was an infection and they had a really slick answer that was quite insulting. The one that got the antibiotics seems fine and as healthy as the other, could problems show up later?

No.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Umm, possibly yes. More and more research is pointing to the significance of the gut microbiome in the first year of life (and later, but the first year seems to have the biggest effect on training the immune system) on disease. As a random example, children given antibiotics in the first year are more likely to develop asthma by age 7. The likelihood of food allergies and various other diseases also seems to increase.

Of course, an increased likelihood of allergies is better than dying of a bacterial infection. But it is a sign that antibiotics (like all medications) need thought and care before prescription, and that we need to study further to better understand the effects of gut bacteria (and hopefully learn to remediate any damaging effects antibiotics may have). Fortunately that seems to be a hot research topic at the moment.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Isn't the appendix is supposed to prevent the gut flora from getting wiped out like that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dpbjinc posted:

Isn't the appendix is supposed to prevent the gut flora from getting wiped out like that?

That hypothesis is largely unproven and would only really apply to bacteria being wiped out by chronic infections rather than by antibiotics, as antibiotics are effective at wiping out bacteria in the appendix, too. In fact, antibiotics are sometimes used as an effective treatment for appendicitis.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

Umm, possibly yes. More and more research is pointing to the significance of the gut microbiome in the first year of life (and later, but the first year seems to have the biggest effect on training the immune system) on disease. As a random example, children given antibiotics in the first year are more likely to develop asthma by age 7. The likelihood of food allergies and various other diseases also seems to increase.

Of course, an increased likelihood of allergies is better than dying of a bacterial infection. But it is a sign that antibiotics (like all medications) need thought and care before prescription, and that we need to study further to better understand the effects of gut bacteria (and hopefully learn to remediate any damaging effects antibiotics may have). Fortunately that seems to be a hot research topic at the moment.

Alternatively, kids who have health issues as children are more likely to have health issues later in life as well, and researchers hoping to point to something specific are grasping at straws.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I didn't want to deal with the hospital either so I literally walked across the street to Walgreens from the hopsital and asked to get a shot, I was in and out in less than 10 mins.

I *finally* found a pharmacist that would do this vaccine. None of the big ones, they didn't have it. There aren't any Walgreens round here but RiteAid and CVS didn't have it. The pharmacist at CVS gave me an "Are you out of your mind?" look when I asked so I suspect my request isn't common. I finally went to this little local place and they had it (I also went to several other little local places that didn't have it.) Don't assume that because it is easy in your area it is easy everywhere. I could have also had it done at the local urgent care clinic but that would have worked out expensive.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Anubis posted:

Alternatively, kids who have health issues as children are more likely to have health issues later in life as well, and researchers hoping to point to something specific are grasping at straws.

There are probably thousands of studies on the effects of gut flora on the immune system at this point. Including studies that delve into the specific mechanisms behind the effect and lab-controlled studies that demonstrate the ability to both produce and remediate allergies in animals by altering the intestinal micro biome. (Again, picking a couple at random. Feel free to google for yourself.)

This isn't one group of idiot researchers who don't understand that correlation != causation. We have a symbiotic relationship with the dozens or hundreds of bacterial species living inside us and we're finally beginning to understand the effect this has.

corax
Jan 21, 2002

Obviously, the safe alternative to dangerous vaccines is homeopathy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"In fact, babies under one year of age cannot make antibodies,"

:cripes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

These people are killing children.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

"For example, during the 1918 Spanish Influenza epidemic, homeopaths in Philadelphia had just over a 1% mortality rate among their patients, versus allopathic doctors who lost 30% of their patients to the epidemic."

From what I've read, this is because when one of their patients died, the homeopaths handwaved it away by saying the dead patient obviously threw off the balance of their bodies by taking an aspirin or something, making this statement a medical No True Scotsman.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My friend's mom says that the tamiflu vaccine made her allergic to electricity.

Is this some sort of precursor to late-onset schizophrenia?

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 1, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ilustforponydeath posted:

My friend's mom says that the tamiflu vaccine made her allergic to electricity.

Is this some sort of precursor to late-onset schizophrenia?

Tamiflu isn't a vaccine, it's an antiviral that fucks up the way viruses spread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol motherfucking idiots told me flu vaccines don't work because you may still get a weaker form of the flu...

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
To be fair not many people know what the flu actually is. The word gets tossed around a lot for other bugs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

"For example, during the 1918 Spanish Influenza epidemic, homeopaths in Philadelphia had just over a 1% mortality rate among their patients, versus allopathic doctors who lost 30% of their patients to the epidemic."

From what I've read, this is because when one of their patients died, the homeopaths handwaved it away by saying the dead patient obviously threw off the balance of their bodies by taking an aspirin or something, making this statement a medical No True Scotsman.

That's pretty much entirely how alt med arguments work; it's similar to American conservatism.

Alt med cannot fail; it can only be failed. If you didn't get any success then you obviously did it wrong.

Which is also why it's so terrifying and should probably have laws passed against it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The irony of homeopath loons being into anti-vax, is vaccines are probably the only example of their theory being sort of kind of correct. A small amount of bad repurposed to make good.

Of course immunology doesnt propose drowning the bug to the point of non existance in "memory" water. So I dunno, a wizzard did it or something.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh, and assholes crashed a government vaccination panel and shut it down in my home town.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31734325/anti-vaccination-activists-crash-perth-immunisation-seminar/

Theres video in there of it happening, if you can handle yahoos lovely video streaming.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

duck monster posted:

The irony of homeopath loons being into anti-vax, is vaccines are probably the only example of their theory being sort of kind of correct. A small amount of bad repurposed to make good.

Of course immunology doesnt propose drowning the bug to the point of non existance in "memory" water. So I dunno, a wizzard did it or something.

they're also into using homeopathic vaccines as their safe alternative to real vaccines, which, just like homeopathic treatments, contain nothing of value at all in them due to whatever they claim is in them being diluted to the point that they no longer exist.

What do they use in these magical vaccines since they don't have access to live vaccines? diseased tissue, puss or other forms of discharge from infected patients.

gently caress homeopathy

e: my bad if this was also basically explained on that mom's wordpress page. I'd rather not put in effort to read some homeopath's webpage these days

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 2, 2016

corax
Jan 21, 2002

duck monster posted:

One other example might be allergen immunotherapy / allergy shots. But both examples contain more of the 'bad' than some distant memory in the water molecules, of course.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Expecting our first child fairly soon. We are full believers in vaccines and plan on giving baby all of them on schedule. However, my mom lives with my sister and her baby who are strongly anti-vaxx. Herein lies the dilemma: We are asking all of our visitors to be up-to-date on their TDaP before seeing the baby. My sister is, for all intents and purposes, making my mom not get a booster because she fears it will put her unvaccinated kid at risk (I know, I know).

So in the end, my mom will likely not get a booster. I really want her to be able to visit in the first few months, but I also don't want to put our baby at risk because of ridiculous anti-vaxx fears. Would it even make anything safer if my mom wore one of the protective respiratory masks when visiting? Are we being too over the top as parents asking for visitors to be up-to-date on their TDaP? Neither of us tend to be alarmists, but after seeing videos of babies with whooping cough I just want to minimize that risk as much as possible, if we can.

Thanks, thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fireside Nut posted:

Expecting our first child fairly soon. We are full believers in vaccines and plan on giving baby all of them on schedule. However, my mom lives with my sister and her baby who are strongly anti-vaxx. Herein lies the dilemma: We are asking all of our visitors to be up-to-date on their TDaP before seeing the baby. My sister is, for all intents and purposes, making my mom not get a booster because she fears it will put her unvaccinated kid at risk (I know, I know).

So in the end, my mom will likely not get a booster. I really want her to be able to visit in the first few months, but I also don't want to put our baby at risk because of ridiculous anti-vaxx fears. Would it even make anything safer if my mom wore one of the protective respiratory masks when visiting? Are we being too over the top as parents asking for visitors to be up-to-date on their TDaP? Neither of us tend to be alarmists, but after seeing videos of babies with whooping cough I just want to minimize that risk as much as possible, if we can.

Thanks, thread.

Without getting into how completely idiotic this is (sorry you have to deal with this), if you want them to truly be protected then they need to be wearing a respirator, latex gloves and don't let them use the bathrooms in your house.

It's highly unlikely they will actually be carrying B. pertussis or spreading it, but if that's your concern then that's the best way of protection.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thank you for the response. I mean, are we being unrealistic or alarmist by asking folks to be current on their TDaP before visiting the baby in the first few months? Or is the chance so low that my mom could likely visit without having that be a concern? Having not been a parent before I simply don't have a good feel for this and have never given it much thought until now.

After hearing about the "dangers of formaldehyde and mercury in vaccines" I would never want to turn around and give a similarly absurd/alarmist response without being cognizant I am doing such a thing.

Thanks again.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Fireside Nut posted:

Thanks, thread.
Have your mom get the vaccine without telling your sister. It's not like it leaves a mark or anything.

And what will your sister do, kick her out?

I'm a wee bit of a misanthrope, though, so ymmv

Fireside Nut posted:

Thank you for the response. I mean, are we being unrealistic or alarmist by asking folks to be current on their TDaP before visiting the baby in the first few months? Or is the chance so low that my mom could likely visit without having that be a concern? Having not been a parent before I simply don't have a good feel for this and have never given it much thought until now.

After hearing about the "dangers of formaldehyde and mercury in vaccines" I would never want to turn around and give a similarly absurd/alarmist response without being cognizant I am doing such a thing.

Thanks again.
It's probably not much of a danger but thhe likelihood of it being dangerous is dependent on a whole host of things and living with an anti-vaxxer puts her in an elevated risk category. It's an infinitely greater danger than formaldehyde and mercury, though.

eNeMeE fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 7, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

eNeMeE posted:

Have your mom get the vaccine without telling your sister. It's not like it leaves a mark or anything.

And what will your sister do, kick her out?

I'm a wee bit of a misanthrope, though, so ymmv

It's probably not much of a danger but thhe likelihood of it being dangerous is dependent on a whole host of things and living with an anti-vaxxer puts her in an elevated risk category. It's an infinitely greater danger than formaldehyde and mercury, though.

That's not misanthropic, that's cleverly maneuvering around the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That's not misanthropic, that's cleverly maneuvering around the problem.

Yeah, but I consider 'will never speak to me again' a positive outcome, so...

• Locked thread