Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents on impeachments for Clinton. They'll the new weekly daily Obamacare Repeal. BTW, the B-rock care repeals are still going to happen, but now hourly.

The GOPe knows that kind of stuff is BS theater, but as we can see from the Trumpster fire, the tea party/true believers/stupid nazis don't and are going to do it.

LOL gently caress the R's and their Southern Strat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Mystic_Shadow posted:

She won't ever ever do this, there's more of a chance she tries to put a moderate in there as to not anger Republicans or to secure her "legacy" as a unifier.

I know she won't ever do it but I'm not sure about your reasoning. That sounds like something Obama would (did) do, not Hillary.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gort posted:

So are we pretty much - best case, assuming Trump loses badly - just looking at more of the Obama years, with a Republican-dominated Congress and Senate, and a President who can't actually pass much in the way of worthwhile laws?

Depends how much we get to run up the score this cycle. The more our wins, the better the flow of money downballot come 2020.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Clinton's going to nominate MechaRBG. Why would she nominate a centrist? To justify your dislike of her?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

negativeneil posted:

I think what he's asking is how many points would she need to be winning by to indicate such a huge electoral wave that the influence on the downticket races would result in a flipped House and Senate. I think such a question is unknowable, but if I'm speculating she'd have to have a blowout in just about every state.

As I recall, the realistic minimum is something like 55-45 but even that requires limited ticket splitting and a lot of gains in traditionally GOP district without running up the score too much in Democratic areas. It's highly unlikely, especially since Koch and others are funneling all their cash downticket.

There are three caveats that make retaking the House somewhat more plausible:
1-Districts were drawn based on the demographics and populations from the 2010 census. Trump has been antagonizing the fastest growing and most undercounted demographic from those censuses. If the surge in Hispanic registration is accurate and Hillary manages to GOTV, this could change the map dramatically. Given that the GOP strategy in 2010 was diluting the Hispanic vote by spreading it between districts, that could come back to bite them in the rear end even harder.

2-White Women. Even Romney won White Women by 14 points and White Catholics by 10. Given the abysmal view on Trump and Pence, and the nature of Hillary's candidacy, this group could also swing to Hillary in large numbers. They represent a group that Republicans assumed they had a safe advantage with in 2010, meaning that if Democrats can keep them from splitting votes... we're talking major cracks in the levee.

3-Hillary's Coattails. If we're talking 10 points, that's the widest margin since Reagan-Mondale. There may come a time that Hillary doesn't feel the need to run up her totals in urban centers and Democratic strongholds. It's a risk, but if that happens she can essentially enter midterm campaign mode. With the advances in data and voter targeting, she can find the districts vulnerable for switching (especially the ones due to the factors above, which the national services cannot account for in their at-risk projections).

tl;dr: Normally, there's no chance in hell Democrats take back the House without first capturing statehouses and redistricting. There are some indicators that this election may break the traditional rules :getin:

Trabisnikof posted:

Obama recently signed a massive toxic chemical overhaul bill, so it isn't impossible to pass new major legislation.
Obama has also used the OMB/Procurement Policy to force some environmental guidelines in for Government Vendors. Even if she can't get a congress that will pass higher minimum wages, Paid Family Medical Leave or more stringent NonDiscrimination protections, requiring it in companies who do business with the Federal Government will force The Invisible Hand to change the market.

fakeedit:

Mystic_Shadow posted:

She won't ever ever do this, there's more of a chance she tries to put a moderate in there as to not anger Republicans or to secure her "legacy" as a unifier.
Please give your definition of a Moderate Justice, and what part of Hillary's background makes you think she'd find that judge desirable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DemeaninDemon posted:

Clinton's going to nominate MechaRBG. Why would she nominate a centrist? To justify your dislike of her?

Clinton nominating Our Nation's Sassy Grandma was an elaborate ruse to cover for his wife decades later nominating a generic middle of the road Democrat as part of her master plan to...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have a good feeling that Duckworth will beat Kirk in IL, but it might not be that much of a help because Kirk is pretty consistently the only R willing to cross the aisle on things like gun control, healthcare and appointments. One of the most difficult things about retaking the House will be seats where there are no D challengers. In my district our current R rep, the shitacular Adam Kinzinger, is running completely unopposed. If the Dems don't grow some balls and run someone next election and I'm still living here, I've considered just running myself as an independent just so people have someone else to vote for.

For the first time in like 20 years the Kansas state democratic party is running a candidate in every senate and congressional race, and a whole 75% of state level offices. It's kind of pathetic but it's partly because of the whole bleeding Kansas thing (the state legislature hasn't had a democratic majority since 1917 and the last democrat senator from the state was elected in 1939) and it's still progress of a sort but it tells you how dire the situation is in a lot of Midwest states. I hope that the next DNC chairperson invests in state level parties that aren't traditional democrat strongholds because they really really need to set up for the 2020 elections/census and subsequent district redrawing.

e: realized that I said the same thing as MIGF more or less, gonna go take a shower now

rscott fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 7, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Obama is not going to withdraw Garland. In addition to the tactical mistake it would be, it's a huge insult to the man himself. Obama wants Garland on the Supreme Court.

"The Republicans believed the next acting president should make the decision. I bow to their opinion."

Assuming he wants to. I agree with you that he likely doesn't.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Geoff Peterson posted:

As I recall, the realistic minimum is something like 55-45 but even that requires limited ticket splitting and a lot of gains in traditionally GOP district without running up the score too much in Democratic areas. It's highly unlikely, especially since Koch and others are funneling all their cash downticket.

There are three caveats that make retaking the House somewhat more plausible:
1-Districts were drawn based on the demographics and populations from the 2010 census. Trump has been antagonizing the fastest growing and most undercounted demographic from those censuses. If the surge in Hispanic registration is accurate and Hillary manages to GOTV, this could change the map dramatically. Given that the GOP strategy in 2010 was diluting the Hispanic vote by spreading it between districts, that could come back to bite them in the rear end even harder.

2-White Women. Even Romney won White Women by 14 points and White Catholics by 10. Given the abysmal view on Trump and Pence, and the nature of Hillary's candidacy, this group could also swing to Hillary in large numbers. They represent a group that Republicans assumed they had a safe advantage with in 2010, meaning that if Democrats can keep them from splitting votes... we're talking major cracks in the levee.

3-Hillary's Coattails. If we're talking 10 points, that's the widest margin since Reagan-Mondale. There may come a time that Hillary doesn't feel the need to run up her totals in urban centers and Democratic strongholds. It's a risk, but if that happens she can essentially enter midterm campaign mode. With the advances in data and voter targeting, she can find the districts vulnerable for switching (especially the ones due to the factors above, which the national services cannot account for in their at-risk projections).

tl;dr: Normally, there's no chance in hell Democrats take back the House without first capturing statehouses and redistricting. There are some indicators that this election may break the traditional rules :getin:

Obama has also used the OMB/Procurement Policy to force some environmental guidelines in for Government Vendors. Even if she can't get a congress that will pass higher minimum wages, Paid Family Medical Leave or more stringent NonDiscrimination protections, requiring it in companies who do business with the Federal Government will force The Invisible Hand to change the market.

fakeedit:

Please give your definition of a Moderate Justice, and what part of Hillary's background makes you think she'd find that judge desirable.

A moderate justice is someone who would not be immediately hated by 100% of Republicans. In hindsight such a candidate might not even exist.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Quorum posted:

Note that a solid SC has the potential to strike down at the very least the most problematic excesses of partisan gerrymandering (several of the existing liberal justices have expressed misgivings about partisan gerrymandering IIRC) and restore the VRA, which goes a long way towards making the House more plausible.

This is very true and a big part of why republicans feel the need to back their idiot in my opinion. But that wouldn't be in effect for this election, and the midterms would need both a strong ruling against gerrymandering swiftly implemented, and all the berniebros coming out to vote in an off year.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What I'm hearing and seeing, both online and in person, from righties (I live in a red area of a red state):

-Radio silence
-"BOTH candidates suck so what are ya going to do" (of course they are going to vote for clown cheeto man)
-Julian Assange will be our savior and smite our enemies! This is pretty much the thread they are holding on to, the ones who aren't completely insane recognize either consciously or subconsciously this is probably the only way their team wins the election.

As far as stuff like trumped up impeachment - yeah like 30-40 percent (the intelligent ones with money) recognize the lesson from Bill Clinton, the rest are incapable of learning any lesson at all, ever, including an increasing number of GOP Congressmen and Senators.

Yeah I see very little from the right examining what it is about their electorate that would make them susceptible to such a candidate as a silly racist Cheeto man.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Republicans are going to stonewall all nominations for the next four years, just because they can.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Dork457 posted:

What the hell is this? I can't understand why you would make an infographic like this. From 538

So we're in pretty much the same race as 2012. In order to win the GOP needs to hold Florida, Ohio, AND Virginia. If the Democrats can grab any one of those 3 it's virtually impossible for the GOP to eek out a win elsewhere. Hell, even if Trump somehow wins the big 3, the Dems can still hit a majority if they hold Nevada+Colorado+Iowa+NH.

The poll showing Virginia as >10% for Hillary today is a pretty good sign.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Republicans are going to stonewall all nominations for the next four years, just because they can.

They would only be able to do it for 2

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
They will either cave November 9th and put garland in or CONTINUE to stonewall if they retain congress.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This contrariness by the GOP does seem astonishingly daft. The whole purpose of the current system was to try and force compromise, and instead they are ignoring it and trying to prop up their party even though it is slowly decaying around them. Why do people vote them in if they aren't doing anything?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

This contrariness by the GOP does seem astonishingly daft. The whole purpose of the current system was to try and force compromise, and instead they are ignoring it and trying to prop up their party even though it is slowly decaying around them. Why do people vote them in if they aren't doing anything?

Because the people who vote them in don't want the government to do anything.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I expect that no matter how much Clinton wins by Republicans will claim she is illegitimate and refuse any legislation until impeachment proceedings relating to benghazi are concluded.

That's assuming of course that they don't lock her in a closet on January 20 and then claim the "inaugural deadline" has expired and the whole electoral process must begin again and if Ms Clinton had any respect for this great Country or it's laws then she would have been on time.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

vyelkin posted:

So that they can then say "SEE I TOLD YOU THE GOVERNMENT CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!", because they're goddamn idiot assholes.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

None of those will happen because this is not some erotic Right Wing fanfiction. She will not be impeached or locked in a loving closet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Help me wrap my head around Assange - he says they're holding on to info that would guarantee Clinton's indictment, but the announcement is just an admission of the opposite, right? If they had good info they wouldn't let her know they have it in advance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KiteAuraan posted:

So that they can then say "SEE I TOLD YOU THE GOVERNMENT CAN NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT! I WAS RIGHT! I AM ALWAYS RIGHT!", because they're goddamn idiot assholes.

vyelkin posted:

You know I don't think this is true. Oh I mean in abstract doing things in government is what the GOP are against, but in truth? They need farm subsidies sorted out and all the rest of it. The longer nothing happens the less they will see the need to vote for another guy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it's this. Grover Nordquist and the whole government small enough to down in the bath tub and all of that

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Help me wrap my head around Assange - he says they're holding on to info that would guarantee Clinton's indictment, but the announcement is just an admission of the opposite, right? If they had good info they wouldn't let her know they have it in advance.

He's a grandstanding idiot who is also a propagandist for the Kremlin. That's basically it.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Mystic_Shadow posted:

A moderate justice is someone who would not be immediately hated by 100% of Republicans. In hindsight such a candidate might not even exist.

That would require Hillary nominating someone who is okay with 2 of the following 3 things: The Roberts Court stance on the VRA, Outlawing Abortion, maintaining Citizens United. To say nothing of the 2nd ammendment and church/state.

There is zero indication on Hillary's background that she'd be okay with any of those, and all three would be actively hurting her electoral chances.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Fluffdaddy posted:

None of those will happen because this is not some erotic Right Wing fanfiction. She will not be impeached or locked in a loving closet.

The House can introduce articles of impeachment but the Senate wouldn't convict because a 2/3 majority is needed there. This is what happened with Clinton. It's still called "X was impeached" even though it didn't go through.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deified Data posted:

He wants people to think he does, as long as he says he has stuff on her it doesn't matter if he has it that's enough for the Fox News/Talk Radio propaganda machine.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

rscott posted:

Yeah it's this. Grover Nordquist and the whole government small enough to down in the bath tub and all of that

Small enough to fit in a uterus, in fact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

President black, future scary, please make the fear go away until I die. Oh, it's so cold. So cold.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I expect that no matter how much Clinton wins by Republicans will claim she is illegitimate and refuse any legislation until impeachment proceedings relating to benghazi are concluded.

That's assuming of course that they don't lock her in a closet on January 20 and then claim the "inaugural deadline" has expired and the whole electoral process must begin again and if Ms Clinton had any respect for this great Country or it's laws then she would have been on time.

I think (hope) the Republicans are going to be busy with their faction fight for a while after the election, depending on how much they lose by.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Are you questioning the Right Wing's desire to shove people into closets and keep them there in order to make themselves feel more comfortable about the world around them? (It was a joke)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

This is the part where I think the role of Fox News, Rush, Drudge etc. is a lot more important than I think it's sometimes given credit for.

RW Media doesn't often convert people in my opinion. But what it does do is keep people firmly on the team, even when the team is making GBS threads its pants repeatedly. Through propaganda. A presidency like the GWB one would, I think, have led to a lot of defection and realignment towards the left due to its horrible results. But when you consume this stuff 24/7 you always have a handy talking point ready, stuffed into your head, why it really wasn't your team's fault, it was the other team's fault, and how they are the worst, so people don't seriously look at what they've been supporting unless something really drastic starts to happen, and even then often not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

RW Media doesn't often convert people in my opinion. But what it does do is keep people firmly on the team, even when the team is making GBS threads its pants repeatedly. Through propaganda. A presidency like the GWB one would, I think, have led to a lot of defection and realignment towards the left due to its horrible results. But when you consume this stuff 24/7 you always have a handy talking point ready, stuffed into your head, why it really wasn't your team's fault, it was the other team's fault, and how they are the worst, so people don't seriously look at what they've been supporting unless something really drastic starts to happen, and even then often not.

People were defending Nixon back in the 70s with exactly the same fervor as they did with Dubya. Media had very little to do with it.

If anything they dropped him quicker.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Deified Data posted:

You could make the case that he wants Hillary to believe him and panic trying to cover up dirt he may or may not have, and then also spring whatever he's got on her, but that would be a bit out of character for her. It's most likely he's got something that looks damning but isn't after some inspection, so he wants to prime people that he has some dirt and bring it up late in October and hope it has legs for a few days.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Nessus posted:

President black, future scary, please make the fear go away until I die. Oh, it's so cold. So cold.

Basically this. My grandparents keep saying stuff like "Oh your generation will have to handle things, all this trouble, and you can try this stuff (Socialism in my case) that you keep talking about. But there are just too many of us in our generation who don't want change, we want things the way they've been, we invested in it and we'd see it as bad." So yeah, they vote the way they do because any change scares them.

It's even better because the only thing that allowed my grandpa to have a middle class lifestyle at all was the existence of strong unions into the 1970s. They both directly benefited from worker protections. But now they're both anti-union, because "The unions went too far!". How did they go to far? Negotiating it so that polemen got their birthday's off...

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

While I am sure there are cranky old sticks in the mud out there, what I'm hearing sounds a lot more like "We actually don't want to train people any more; we would like to make our employees train themselves, on speculation, out of their own funds, and if they don't - or don't make the correct training decisions - we're going to fire them."

It seems like the entire American economy has been reshaped by companies deciding they just don't ever want to train anybody, ever.

This is pretty much the case, with the exception in my field that you have to make the trade off in sysadmin world that you can get trained, but you'll get paid 50% below market value and the company has the potential to be owned by a literal crackhead that makes crackhead decisions (my actual first IT job), so your life is a shitshow. But you drat sure get the experience you need to get paid above market at your next job.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember that if Democrats win the White House and Senate, this will be cheered as a clear political mandate for House Republicans

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Antti posted:

The House can introduce articles of impeachment but the Senate wouldn't convict because a 2/3 majority is needed there. This is what happened with Clinton. It's still called "X was impeached" even though it didn't go through.

I don't need the history lesson, I am well aware what articles of impeachment are. The House will not do this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Dork457 posted:

What the hell is this? I can't understand why you would make an infographic like this. From 538

Wait, people are seriously confused by this?

It lines up all the states from the likeliest blue states to the likeliest red states, adjusts their length in proportion to electoral votes, and sticks a finish line in the middle. If the blue states cross the finish line, it's a likely Clinton victory, and vice versa for red/Trump.

Ordering the states this way indicates which states are highest priority for the candidates to defend or try to flip (for example, Trump's best path to victory would be to target the light blue states that are furthest right on the diagram, and in this snapshot that'd be VA through AZ).

If you're asking why it's shaped the way it is instead of a straight bar or rows/columns, it's because this keeps the line continuous without having to shrink everything down too much.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Josef bugman posted:

You know I don't think this is true. Oh I mean in abstract doing things in government is what the GOP are against, but in truth? They need farm subsidies sorted out and all the rest of it. The longer nothing happens the less they will see the need to vote for another guy.

The GOP establishment loves using government for things; starve the beast is just what they've their base who took it as solemn gospel. Government can't do anything right, so all the good it does do just gets credited to something else, or considered a basic service that they haven't found a way to gently caress up yet and could totally be executed better by anything else. Now it's come round to biting them in the rear end with the tea party, many of which hold that particular cognitive dissonance close to heart and will burn everything down with a smile because they are willfully ignorant of the consequences.

• Locked thread