Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Finished Root Double. The kids were boring characters, but the adults were great. Thank goodness you only have to deal with the worst, most boring one during the first route, but having to deal with the second worst for the rest of the game was bad. Main character of Route A is the best though and I wish it'd been more about his perspective.
Having done the first three routes I've found Root Double pretty good so far, definitely more interesting than other Nakazawa titles I've tried to read. I didn't even find Route B too bad and I normally hate that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah it isn't bad, but those damned kids really drag it down until the very end of route B. Route A was just so good and is the high point of the whole thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the second op for the anime was good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ju3sWRJ-fg

that's my robotics;notes opinion

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaos;Head is really interesting but kinda flawed. Apparently the re-release Chaos;Head Noah makes it way better but the translation issues surrounding that is such an utter mess. I have it on good authority that a complete Noah translation was made and pitched by the team behind the S;G translation and were subsequently turned down by 5pb. I still hold out hope that it will somehow turn up again after 5pb changes their minds. That company barely seems to understand what it wants out of the western market.

The Chaos;Head follow up, Chaos;Child is also apparently really great, as is Steins;Gate 0 (coming out in the US next month). So I don't think S;G itself was a mere fluke.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

I was gonna say "Maybe the anime I found out just now that exists, is a better way to experience Chaos Head?" They even adapted the only ending out of the three that matters. But it's apparently only 12 episodes long, so uh, maybe not.

DO NOT DO THIS

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

if i can save even one other person from wasting their time on the chaos head anime i can die fulfilled

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah it isn't bad, but those damned kids really drag it down until the very end of route B. Route A was just so good and is the high point of the whole thing.
What did you find so bad about them? I guess they do fall into anime cliches more and aren't super interesting but I didn't find them actively offensive in any way.

e: I've only read the first three routes and a couple chapters of the fourth to be clear

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 7, 2016

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Team Fourstar videos of Panzermadels are really making it look like a good buy, if you like fluff that doesn't care at all about being serious.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The House in Fata Morgana is a must-buy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ohh man, there's a sequel to Steins Gate coming out in a month?

I'm probably about to buy the first one and dive in but maybe I should wait to get instant sequel gratification??

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's not a sequel. It's a "side-quel". It's the events that follow one of the (non canon) endings of the original game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steins;gate is pretty meaty, it'll probably take you a couple of weeks to read it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I probably only spent about a week on it (Not counting the break I took from it to play ZTD), though I work from home and can spend absurd hours playing these kinds of games as a result.

It's a bit of a slow burn though once I got into it I couldn't stop. Very excited to play 0 now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 7, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I just 100% ztd and I feel like it was a huge step down from vlr in tons of ways, and I was really looking forward to it before. Oh well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What did you find so bad about them? I guess they do fall into anime cliches more and aren't super interesting but I didn't find them actively offensive in any way.

e: I've only read the first three routes and a couple chapters of the fourth to be clear

So, first off is Yuuri. Yuuri's actions are annoying in the first route, (4th route spoiler) which is actually clever foreshadowing, but still annoying, and she never changes as a character, even from when she was a kid. It makes sense why she's like that in the second route, but not so much in the first or fourth.

Natsuhiko is annoying because he's a whiny prick with no interesting side to him. Seriously, I'd rather have the Chaos;Head protagonist because while he was a terrible human being at least he had hobbies. I wish he got his act together after the end of the second route, but nope, they have to get rid of that actually interesting potential character development because guess who's back.

Salyu could've been a great character. In fact, I'd thought she was very interesting until it turns out she's 12 yet is strong enough to fend off three fully grown men. Admittedly, she doesn't necessarily win but still.

Mashiro's alright though. Solid character growth and understandable motivations.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the game, it's just that these characters are the only ones that I feel really dragged it down. It's a very good VN.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I now fully endorse this dumb, goofy rear end game.

-saxophone laced innuendo-

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kinda sad that Chaos Head got royally hosed with regard to its fan translation and then the official one that never happened and probably never will at this point, tho.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

Kinda sad that Chaos Head got royally hosed with regard to its fan translation and then the official one that never happened and probably never will at this point, tho.
What's the story here?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The translation got pulled due to an official release but said release never actually happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raxivace posted:

What's the story here?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Apparently the re-release Chaos;Head Noah makes it way better but the translation issues surrounding that is such an utter mess. I have it on good authority that a complete Noah translation was made and pitched by the team behind the S;G translation and were subsequently turned down by 5pb. I still hold out hope that it will somehow turn up again after 5pb changes their minds. That company barely seems to understand what it wants out of the western market.

I talked to one of the team members about it. The deal was super close to happening, then the Japanese side backed out at the last minute. That's why there were hints like this being dropped by one of the translators. But now it will probably never happen.

Everything I've heard about 5pb, the company that controls the science adventure series, is confusing as hell. Like how they forbid JAST, the company behind the english PC release of S;G, from selling it for less than $25 or something like that, and forbid them from selling it on Steam. They don't seem to understand how the market here works or what we want.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

They don't seem to understand how the market here works or what we want.

To be fair, most western companies don't, either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I talked to one of the team members about it. The deal was super close to happening, then the Japanese side backed out at the last minute. That's why there were hints like this being dropped by one of the translators. But now it will probably never happen.

Everything I've heard about 5pb, the company that controls the science adventure series, is confusing as hell. Like how they forbid JAST, the company behind the english PC release of S;G, from selling it for less than $25 or something like that, and forbid them from selling it on Steam. They don't seem to understand how the market here works or what we want.
To a certain extent, I can understand not wanting to devalue your brand, but when you can buy Steins;Gate in japan for somewhere around 1650 yen if you know where to look (roughly $16), it feels a little disingenuous.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

To a certain extent, I can understand not wanting to devalue your brand, but when you can buy Steins;Gate in japan for somewhere around 1650 yen if you know where to look (roughly $16), it feels a little disingenuous.

Yeah it also leads to fun things like songs with the theme of "going out into the world" not being available outside of Japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbTTnwUS37Y

I think as a company they do want to expand but are very very paranoid about losing the ability to price gouge their Japanese base (because foreigners = cheap versions & piracy)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

FWIW I got the PS3 version of S;G for only $10 through a recent PSN sale a month or so ago. That felt like more than a reasonable price to pay, though I might have paid the $25 or whatever too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raxivace posted:

FWIW I got the PS3 version of S;G for only $10 through a recent PSN sale a month or so ago. That felt like more than a reasonable price to pay, though I might have paid the $25 or whatever too.

Yeah, this is one of the things that pissed off JAST. 5pb allows pqube to price the game very flexibly and it's been $10 on PSN before, but the PC publisher is forbidden from doing so for reasons no one understands.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Yeah, this is one of the things that pissed off JAST. 5pb allows pqube to price the game very flexibly and it's been $10 on PSN before, but the PC publisher is forbidden from doing so for reasons no one understands.

As I understand it PSN works differently from most PC distributors like Steam. On Steam the publisher decides the sale price and receives a percentage of that price. PSN works more like a brick-and-mortar store; the publisher sells copies to Sony for a fixed unit price, but Sony are the ones who decide the final sale price. So 5pb wouldn't be able to control the sale price on PSN in the same way, because it's ultimately Sony's decision rather than the publisher's.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Saoshyant posted:

It's not a sequel. It's a "side-quel". It's the events that follow one of the (non canon) endings of the original game.

Which ending, just out of curiosity? Because if it's the one that I thought was more interesting than the true ending, I might have to play this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

Which ending, just out of curiosity? Because if it's the one that I thought was more interesting than the true ending, I might have to play this.
From what I understand, the sequel follows a variation of the True Ending where Okabe accidentally stabs Kurisu himself, but never receives the video mail from his future self so he doesn't time travel again to save her.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Raxivace posted:

From what I understand, the sequel follows a variation of the True Ending where Okabe accidentally stabs Kurisu himself, but never receives the video mail from his future self so he doesn't time travel again to save her.

I thought it was the Mayuri ending. In other words, where he never receives the email from his future self.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was the Okabe timeline who actually researches time travel and sends the e-mail. Which is probably the same as one of the two above

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
This is only tangentially related to VNs but the Fate/Stay Night spinoff novel series Fate/Strange Fake is absolutely amazing and everyone should read it. This coming from someone who generally hates the whole Fate franchise (I love the premise and some of the side characters and fight scenes but could never really get into the rest of it for various reasons). They put the guy who wrote Baccano and Durarara in charge of this spinoff and the cast and premise and writing are just incredibly entertaining. I thought I'd hate it when I saw Gilgamesh on the cover of the first book but he even somehow managed to make Gilgamesh a character I want to read about.

Seriously it's good. Someone has probably fan translated the novels somewhere so go check it out. Some knowledge of the Fate series will help your comprehension but honestly you can probably get by without it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Getsuya posted:

This is only tangentially related to VNs but the Fate/Stay Night spinoff novel series Fate/Strange Fake is absolutely amazing and everyone should read it. This coming from someone who generally hates the whole Fate franchise (I love the premise and some of the side characters and fight scenes but could never really get into the rest of it for various reasons). They put the guy who wrote Baccano and Durarara in charge of this spinoff and the cast and premise and writing are just incredibly entertaining. I thought I'd hate it when I saw Gilgamesh on the cover of the first book but he even somehow managed to make Gilgamesh a character I want to read about.

Seriously it's good. Someone has probably fan translated the novels somewhere so go check it out. Some knowledge of the Fate series will help your comprehension but honestly you can probably get by without it.

i initially misread this as the guy writing the series hates F/SN and got very confused

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stexils posted:

i initially misread this as the guy writing the series hates F/SN and got very confused

Well, sometimes the best side works happen when the creator hates the source material. Like Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Well, sometimes the best side works happen when the creator hates the source material. Like Knights of the Old Republic 2.

i know about kotor 2 but are there actually any other examples

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Stexils posted:

i know about kotor 2 but are there actually any other examples

Movies, but Paul Verhoeven said he couldn't even finish the Starship Troopers novel, he was so disgusted by its admiration of fascism.

edit: Also not really a 'side work' or sequel, I guess.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 10, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's another adaptation, but the film version of Kiss Me Deadly was done by people that hated the Mike Hammer character and didn't like Mickey Spillane in general.

That reminds me, other than Hotel Dusk and its sequel (And with Hotel Dusk this is only sort of the case) are there many noirish VN's?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well there's that jake hunter thing but despite it being a 16 games strong series in japan, we only got like the worst game of them all or something so rip

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It's another adaptation, but the film version of Kiss Me Deadly was done by people that hated the Mike Hammer character and didn't like Mickey Spillane in general.

That reminds me, other than Hotel Dusk and its sequel (And with Hotel Dusk this is only sort of the case) are there many noirish VN's?

kara no shoujo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spike Chunsoft's "which game do you most want ported to steam" poll is done.

The right game won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm satisfied with a close second for 428, and amused that people who want actual gameplay only managed to muster a 20% showing.