Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Enchantress: *doing weird Walk Like An Egyptian dance* You may live..... to ssserve us. Worship at our feet.

Zod: *in extremely Mike Shannon voice* What. The gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

The trash movie being "Strange Brew".

Since one poster dismissed the movie because Boomerang isnt what Australians act like.

No I think he was saying that Boomerang isn't what Australians act like and the movie is shitheap.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harime Nui posted:

Gotham's river (is that the Hudson? Are we going with Gotham being in NJ like in the comics?)

Seems to be. Snyder said that by placing Gotham and Metropolis as twin cities across a bay in BvS, they're supposed to be like Jersey vs New York City or Oakland vs San Francisco.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I enjoyed the poo poo out of this, It had it's trashy moments, some clear issues with editing and pacing but the cast was enjoyable as hell and overall the story flows well enough. Jai Courtney was a goddamn revelation as Captain Boomerang.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"What if Superman had torn off the roof to the White House? Who would stop him?"

"Batman."

"No, all the people Batman caught who don't really have any powers at all."

"But... Batman actually did beat Superman..."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crash74 posted:

should have been the ending:

Dark Knight Rises already did this, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I liked this version of the Joker, it's just too bad Jared Leto is supposedly a gigantic rear end in a top hat in real life and no liked him during filming. What is disappointing is that the Joker in Suicide Squad was totally pointless and added nothing to the story. Supposedly the alternative cut of the film changes that and he is much more central to the plot beyond just Harley Quinns backstory.

My favorite parts about DCU is how it glosses over what could of been a movie that made them, The Joker meeting Harley Quinn and some Batman. Simple story! Its just a flash back, but it would of been a way better movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Guys, I just wanted to chime in as a Canadian and that Strange Brew's depiction of Canadians is NOT TRUE AT ALL. Wow.

What a trash movie.

Also this movie was decent but nothing was really earned. And Rick Flag is dumb as poo poo. Cut all his poo poo out - have the squad do something more interesting than taking on a god (I like the Joker idea from earlier) and it could have been better. The characters are there and ready - but Ayer pissed them all away.

Strange Brew is amazing, you heathen.

I didn't recognize Jai Courtney at all, forgot he was in this. He's even better at acting than I thought.

Codependent Poster posted:

"What if Superman had torn off the roof to the White House? Who would stop him?"

"Batman."

Superman let him. Pretend this movie is more like Seven Samurai; it's about the characters, not their powers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

effectual posted:

Pretend this movie is more like Seven Samurai

That is adorable.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

"Batman."

Wow, These movies are so awful.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Batman."

Waller's proposal here is Enchantress, not the skwad.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

effectual posted:

Superman let him. Pretend this movie is more like Seven Samurai; it's about the characters, not their powers.

So superman allowed himself to suffocate under the effects of a foreign substance and just thought it was cool to be helpless as he almost got stabbed in the chest by a crazy man? Superman was toying with batman until poo poo got real when kryptonite was introduced, then he was actually trying to kill batman, and failed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Waller's proposal here is Enchantress, not the skwad.

'And also these other guys'.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MrJacobs posted:

So superman allowed himself to suffocate under the effects of a foreign substance and just thought it was cool to be helpless as he almost got stabbed in the chest by a crazy man? Superman was toying with batman until poo poo got real when kryptonite was introduced, then he was actually trying to kill batman, and failed.

That's a family of hunters for you!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

effectual posted:

I didn't recognize Jai Courtney at all, forgot he was in this. He's even better at acting than I thought.

He is excellent. Consistently got the most laughs next to Will Smith. Sounds like they cut a lot of him out but what was left was gold.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

effectual posted:

Strange Brew is amazing, you heathen.

all my friends are heathens, take it slow.

Also, Jai Courtney was not fantastic because he was barely in the movie, and the only scene I heard getting any laughs was when I was heading to the bathroom. Where he was like "HURRR FIRAHHH WooOooOo". Maybe it was funny. I wasn't there.

I also sat next to Harley Quinn who squeed when she showed up and then halfway through the movie was incredibly silent. The movie ended and I only heard her friend talk about comparing it to something.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 7, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I laughed so loudly and powerfully at all the jokes in this movie that I intimidated everyone into laughing with me. Respect.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The one real laugh my packed screening got was 'delete my browser history'. Which was a dumb, terrible joke that stuck out tonally like a sore thumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah. I laughed at that too.

Also the editing during the first Batman scene was really bad, editing wise. It looked like they couldn't get Affleck on set that day (probably true) and had to cut around it. It was like that scene in London Has Fallen where they clearly couldn't get Freeman and Butler in the same room together, so they just did shot reverse shot and never had both of them in the same frame together.

I guess it took me out because I remember Ayer talking up this Batman being more than just a minute long cameo, so I was shocked when it seemed like it was an after thought.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harime Nui posted:

I laughed so loudly and powerfully at all the jokes in this movie that I intimidated everyone into laughing with me. Respect.

I started coughing at one point and a few other people laughed because they thought I was laughing and that was the only time anyone laughed the whole movie.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Also the editing during the first Batman scene was really bad, editing wise. It looked like they couldn't get Affleck on set that day (probably true) and had to cut around it. It was like that scene in London Has Fallen where they clearly couldn't get Freeman and Butler in the same room together, so they just did shot reverse shot and never had both of them in the same frame together.

I guess it took me out because I remember Ayer talking up this Batman being more than just a minute long cameo, so I was shocked when it seemed like it was an after thought.

This was what a lot of people theorized when the toys were released an Batman had The Worlds Ugliest Gas Mask on. I wouldnt be surprised if that really was the case, since I'm sure Affleck is busy with the solo Batman film and Justice League, and the post-credits scene wasn't exactly a difficult or long one to show up in or put on pounds of costuming for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And then everybody stood and applauded.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CelticPredator posted:

I thought it was a pretty good scene because Batman doesn't even gently caress around and just busts Deadshot's knee, it was awesomely brutal. Normally I'm not a fan of jump-cuts in fights and yeah they probably did that because Affleck and Smith couldn't be on set together but for a character like Deadshot who primarily fights by shooting people it's not an issue. Any fight with Deadshot should be kinda short and sweet because either you take him down fast or he shoots you. Actually Deadshot is the one character for whom this Jason Bourne kinda AH GOD LOOK OVER THERE NOW LOOK OVER THERE editing sorta works.

There are a lot of really ropily edited moments particularly the fight when they storm the building and El Diablo "does something." The angle the enemies are at almost seems to change just so he can get at them with his fire. OTOH there are times when the movie's disorienting editing works to its advantage like when they're fighting a teleporting enemy in a cloud of fog.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene itself is fine. It was just done poorly. Which is a shame because the first reveal shot was cool.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang, you guys got some bummer audiences. The one I saw it with was into the movie the entire time. In fact, I think it got some of the best audience response I've ever seen, aside from aThe Martian, which I saw later in the evening with a noticably drunker crowd.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Dang, you guys got some bummer audiences. The one I saw it with was into the movie the entire time. In fact, I think it got some of the best audience response I've ever seen, aside from aThe Martian, which I saw later in the evening with a noticably drunker crowd.

Sounds horrible. There's nothing worse than an audience in love with a terrible piece of poo poo movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harime Nui posted:

I thought it was a pretty good scene because Batman doesn't even gently caress around and just busts Deadshot's knee, it was awesomely brutal. Normally I'm not a fan of jump-cuts in fights and yeah they probably did that because Affleck and Smith couldn't be on set together but for a character like Deadshot who primarily fights by shooting people it's not an issue. Any fight with Deadshot should be kinda short and sweet because either you take him down fast or he shoots you. Actually Deadshot is the one character for whom this Jason Bourne kinda AH GOD LOOK OVER THERE NOW LOOK OVER THERE editing sorta works.

There are a lot of really ropily edited moments particularly the fight when they storm the building and El Diablo "does something." The angle the enemies are at almost seems to change just so he can get at them with his fire. OTOH there are times when the movie's disorienting editing works to its advantage like when they're fighting a teleporting enemy in a cloud of fog.

Why couldn't Affleck and Smith be on set together?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve2911 posted:

Sounds horrible. There's nothing worse than an audience in love with a terrible piece of poo poo movie.

And here I was thinking I was a misanthrope!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Ben's busy filming other movies and prepping for his own Batman film if they weren't able to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Ben's busy filming other movies and prepping for his own Batman film if they weren't able to be.

Nah, they've barely even started preproduction on that film now, those SS scenes were shot like a year ago.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Rhyno posted:

well, CP said the scene looked spliced together and he knows a thing or two about editing so I'd take his word on it and somebody mentioned previously that the guy who plays Flash was working on Justice League while this was filming so they had Zach Snyder take a few shots of him then spliced him into the scene where Flash captures Boomerang so it seemed plausible they did the same with Affleck? I can't say for sure whether they did it or not, I just know I liked it as a rapid fight scene in a small space like out of a Samurai movie/Western.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Okay dude we get it, do you wanna talk about the movie or just keep throwing poo poo?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't think it is as bad as everyone says , eventually Harley grated on my nerves , but overall it was really just kind of dull and boring.

Some of the CGI was terrible but the ending especially made no sense. Also, Waller wasn't bad rear end she was just a Evil person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

you must not go to a lot of movies if the martian is a movie that had the best audience reaction you've experienced.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

you must not go to a lot of movies if the martian is a movie that had the best audience reaction you've experienced.

Good assumption, but you're wrong. That movie just didn't deserve the reception it got from the audience I saw it with.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Batman looks super fat in his suit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Muscular dudes always look kinda fat in clothing like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

He's thick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hollismason posted:

In all fairness, that fits Miller's art.

Also its hard to make a "lean" muscle suit, since its very nature means it's always going to be thicker than the person inside it.

I haven't looked at any production photos of BVS or JL, but I wouldn't be surprised if the cowl also is as thick as a giant monster mask, and they use some greenscreen tricks to "pull" Affleck's eyes forward and make it appear thinner & skimtight (to help balance out the head-to-body size).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was kind of odd that Deadshot had " I am the light. I am the way." On his shirt collar and guns. Rather unusual

• Locked thread