Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure it sounds like a stupid question but why are the Dems so bad in non-presidential years? Lack of motivation, funding, something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

TARDISman posted:

We'll get Tim Kaine being a smiley motherfucker, so silver linings!

every story abt kaine from the last few weeks is just some friendly trolling
https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/762337830668468224

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm sure it sounds like a stupid question but why are the Dems so bad in non-presidential years? Lack of motivation, funding, something similar?
younger people and people with lower incomes find it much more troublesome to take time off work to vote. Not to mention they have much busier lives and don't stay informed about races that don't drum up media attention (see newspaper reading rates, local news viewership rates, etc). Old people are the opposite on all of these things

old people are consistently way more conservative

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Montasque posted:

The GOP still has the house, senate, and most state governments.

Even if they lose the senate in November they will most likely win it back in the mid term.

They ain't dead.

Only a national level they are if they can't win the executive. Fat chance in hell they'll get a supermajority to get pass veto land.

Sure gop will control places nobody wants to live and nobody does like Kansas but who cares?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Lack of motivation/interest really.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GobiasIndustries posted:

The President Controls Everything, so why even bother voting in the off-season?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Less media coverage means way less urgency in voters, lots of people hate Congress but like their Congressman so it's tough to motivate people to vote out (GOP) incumbents, gerrymandering, easier to flood individual districts with corporate lobbying money, old people vote every loving year instead of just every four years.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Real Don:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/762400869858115588

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

The President Controls Everything, so why even bother voting in the off-season?

I suspect it has more to do with Democrats being younger and poorer, having less time to follow or care about politics when it's not blaring 24/7 during a presidential campaign year, and being less able to miss work etc

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol he is such a baby. "the media played clips of things I was dumb enough to say :qq:"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
loving :lol: at "the baby"
https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/762402917559078913

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 7, 2016

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html?_r=0

The NYT has taken PA out of their "10 most competitive states" and it's now been replaced with New Mexico. Wrap it up trumpailures

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html?_r=0

The NYT has taken PA out of their "10 most competitive states" and it's now been replaced with New Mexico. Wrap it up trumpailures

Mississippi :eyepop:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Rocks posted:

If Penn isn't seen as a real competitive state, yeah, well... Wrap it up indeed.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would like to see the birth certificate of this so-called "baby."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

is donald trump ever going to stop talking about that loving baby?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nameless_Steve posted:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

can the donald play sportsball for more than a few minutes without spectacularly bicycle-kicking the ball into his own team's net?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

is donald trump ever going to stop talking about that loving baby?

He's not big on letting things go. He'd probably hate the kid 50 years from now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

shiksa posted:

If Penn isn't seen as a real competitive state, yeah, well... Wrap it up indeed.

The RCP average for Pennsylvania is running about 1.1% more Democratic than GE polling, which is more or less in line with Obama's margin of victory there in 2012 (Obama won the national vote by 4% and PA by 5.4%). Trump's only hope for PA is to be leading Clinton on election day by ~1% of the popular vote, or fight her to a tie and hope some electoral anomalies swing in his favor. And even if that happens, Clinton has other ways to win, although none more likely than winning PA outright.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I predict no exist strategy for the gop. They will become worse and more provincial. Thr businesses and their empty suits will flee, as they're too out numbered to reign in the party.
The dems might schism into two national parties. But I just think the Republican brand is on its way to the ash heap of history.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

we could be dealing with a Little Man situation. Has anyone seen the Wayans brothers?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm so excited for the south to start flipping, so many angry conservatives are going to cry themselves to sleep.

It's almost like the southern strategy was a really bad long-term idea that relied on an assumption that your voters will always be white or something.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ITT Trump refuses to let poo poo go

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm so excited for the south to start flipping, so many angry conservatives are going to cry themselves to sleep.

It's almost like the southern strategy was a really bad long-term idea that relied on an assumption that your voters will always be white or something.

Too bad they cracked down on the population control

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

ITT Trump refuses to let poo poo go

Just about everyone who had to deal with him over long periods of time points to his need for revenge and holding of long term grudges as one his big personality flaws.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Whew, Babygate has been resolved

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's actually pretty amazing to see how easy it would be with such a lovely candidate to flip most of the country.

I went all spreadsheet crazy if anyone is interested

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
The whole "dems don't vote in midterms" isn't an immutable fact of life, we flipped 6 senate and 31 house seats in 2006 and took over both houses in a midterm wave. People were loving sick of Bush and they did something about it. They can be motivated.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yes Bush did wonders for the Democratic party

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Montasque posted:

The GOP still has the house, senate, and most state governments.

Even if they lose the senate in November they will most likely win it back in the mid term.

They ain't dead.

if the dems are smart they'll reinstate the VRA, and get enough liberals on the supreme court to hold it up. also a more liberal SC might uphold stricter standards wrt gerrymandering like the case currently going on in NC. also while i'm dreaming i'd like a pony.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Hillary Clinton is proposing automatic voter registration and vastly expanded voter access laws, early voting times, etc.

Even if she does nothing else significant in her entire presidency, that ALONE will change the dynamic of local elections and up for the rest of American history.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The thing about babygate isn't the alleged expulsion, it's Donald being unable to stop talking about it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What the gently caress happened this weekend

:lol:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I mean, Trump's path to victory has always been super narrow, he absolutely has to win Florida for one

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the first Trump tweet I have personally wanted to own for my wall.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

NY Times. Liberal. Biased. Don't believe it.

Or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

They have the highest child vaccination rates in the country.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hillary Clinton is proposing automatic voter registration and vastly expanded voter access laws, early voting times, etc.

Even if she does nothing else significant in her entire presidency, that ALONE will change the dynamic of local elections and up for the rest of American history.

Unfortunately, most of that authority is at the state level and there is little she could do as President to force the issue. It will take Democrats winning state houses to get it done.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JT Jag posted:

I mean, Trump's path to victory has always been super narrow, he absolutely has to win Florida for one

And he's polling with record lows with Latino voters, so :lol: for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Out of curiosity, what's the Days Trump Has Been Feuding With A Literal Baby counter at?

• Locked thread