Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

nobody liked mercenary kings 2 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

I think the most egregious example of that was Dying Light.

Dying light had a bigass parkour tower full of zombies to climb before the fight. The tower was the final boss.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

i really hope the NX picks up where the Wii left off, by which I mean more channels like Everybody Votes please.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Wait people want to play mirage sessions? I thought it was like 6/7 out of ten?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Blackfyre posted:

Wait people want to play mirage sessions? I thought it was like 6/7 out of ten?

it's game of the year my dog

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

oddium posted:

it's game of the year my dog

Why did it review so poorly? What's the goon pitch on it?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It didn't review poorly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

i really hope the NX picks up where the Wii left off, by which I mean more channels like Everybody Votes please.

Hosted by Callie and Marie

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Uhh, Mirage Sessions is kinda a critical darling what the

What mirror world are you from??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm relieved that omega metroids don't make that awful shrieking sound like the one in fusion

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lurdiak posted:

I think the most egregious example of that was Dying Light.

The underboss, who you fight about five minutes before, is also incredibly brief and underwhelming (sneak up and stab three times.) Strangely enough the game's midboss was actually pretty cool, however.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

It didn't review poorly

It got better reviews than any Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem game ever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wish i'd known about mirage sessions before i sold my wii u :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Devil Tesla posted:

It got better reviews than any Shin Megami Tensei or Fire Emblem game ever.
I feel like I'm getting whooshed here but isn't like it ahead of Soul Hackers and not much else on metacritic? In terms of FE and SMT stuff at least.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mutata posted:

In game dev, we get to see what percentage of players actually get to see the end game content so we end up putting a ton more effort into the first couple hours versus the last. I mean, I agree with you that it's lame, and I have no idea if that's the case here, but it's definitely something that gets discussed.

This type of game dev has been going on for some time. Look at the time of shareware or when demos were more prolific. That was usually where the best stuff was located. Granted, the devs wanted to get you to buy the game so it makes sense. I'm not criticizing the practice or any single dev. It's just what happens :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Between Fates, SMTIV-2 and #FE this is a hell of a year for SMT and FE fans

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like I'm getting whooshed here but isn't like it ahead of Soul Hackers and not much else on metacritic? In terms of FE and SMT stuff at least.

No, it's at 81 on Metacritic which puts it exactly in the range of "every SMT game not named Persona 3/4"

I'm not sure where anyone is getting the idea it reviewed badly. The average range for SMT games is 80-85.

Like in terms of games it is ahead of: Persona 1 and 2, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Soul Hackers, the iOS port of SMT1, Both Raidou Kuzonoha games and it's all of one point behind Nocturne.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 8, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

Dying light had a bigass parkour tower full of zombies to climb before the fight. The tower was the final boss.

That doesn't excuse the lovely QTE final battle. What exactly was stopping them from having it be a big arena fight with a bunch of zombies?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE is the best reviewed game in both the Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei series. :proof:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's only an FE game in the sense that the PCs have Mirages (spirits) they're bound to that are FE characters. Chrom is there but he doesn't have any solid memories outside of his name.

It's also real fun and bright and colorful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know why I can finish X-com games but not Fire Emblem ones.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

In Training posted:

I'm bracing for September 20th.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I did it. I beat AM2R. The game is pretty good quality throughout. The queen battle was neat and cinematic, but she didn't feel nearly as threatening as omega metroids and her death was kind of anticlimactic. Still had a blast though!

After it's revealed how you can get all of the endings I will probably play it again.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

what are some good mini-golf games? besides kirby golf of course, i know that one.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

In Training posted:

Not so much for Metroid!
https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Why they wait over an entire day before doing that? Hell why they wait until it's specifically out in the wild and not in the past 30 days when the guy behind it originally started saying it was coming out in August?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Why they wait over an entire day before doing that? Hell why they wait until it's specifically out in the wild and not in the past 30 days when the guy behind it originally started saying it was coming out in August?

They probably didnt know it existed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I hate game companies' stupid lovely legal departments.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Didn't we used to have a game developer's thread? I don't see it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The official project site and its forums make no mention of a DMCA notice and that particular tweet thread has a ton of people saying it could have been requested by some impostor that's known for sending out fake C&Ds. I... don't know who/what to believe anymore.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If Nintendo sent it, they only did so to a fansite hosting the game, not to the creator.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

They probably didnt know it existed

Nah they definitely have people who's job it is to monitor things going on in the net and were definitely aware of this, at least as late as either last fall or the fall before that(?) when Kotaku first wrote an article about the project that I remember reading.

Fake Edit: It is true there's a faker that's been going around over the past year as well so those claims aren't entirely without merit as well.

I know, it's...a weird thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There are people who say "they have to protect their copyright or it'll hurt them in court" but that only applies to trademark and:

1) they have done NOTHING to litigate against the use of the term Metroidvania which is far more damaging to their trademark
2) even if it did apply to copyright, Nintendo has allowed Zelda Classic and its thousands of fan-made campaigns to exist for over a decade without doing anything, and it hasn't affected their ability to create from or defend their Zelda IP

besides, copyright law is outdated and in need of reform, and AM2R keeps people talking about Metroid which is only good for nintendo and their probably bad federation force game

i don't think they can argue damages or misrepresentation here

I still think Mother 4 is in trouble if they don't change their name though

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 8, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Literally what were they expecting to happen

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Remember that AM2R is sort of different among fan projects in that it's specifically branded as an upgrade/replacement for a game Nintendo is still currently selling (via Virtual Console).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

btw everyone should try Zelda Classic at some point http://www.zeldaclassic.com/

soooo many community-made zelda games

this one looks cool http://www.zeldaclassic.com/viewquest.php?q=341

this engine/community has been online for over, what, 15 years maybe? it could be argued it is blatant infringement of Zelda which is on Virtual Console and Nintendo has never gone after it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 8, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is Barry Goodman

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

besides, copyright law is outdated and in need of reform, and AM2R keeps people talking about Metroid which is only good for nintendo and their probably bad federation force game

i don't think they can argue damages or misrepresentation here

Ironically the most likely way the company (and their legal representatives) would loosen up on projects that end up making so much noise* by the ones who make the decisions who feel like they can't not make any actions would be by ceasing to be a hardware company, which I think plays a big role in how they guard their IPs like a dragon and their treasure. It's a bit of a dilemma for some fans then; the only way you can see the company succeed in some ways would to first see them fail past a point of no return.

*I also think this plays a huge role in recent actions as well concerning fan-projects. Back in the late 90's and most of the aughts there were fan games sure, but they didn't become so popular amongst the general gaming populace that they became common knowledge. With the rise of new types of mediums both text and visual that let information and news spread faster than ever the chance of fan games becoming popular also became bigger than ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They probably wanted to give it a chance to exist before doing what they're legally obligated to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Breaking: I'm hearing rumors someone's sending fake DMCAs in Nintendo's name because they hate Nintendo???

• Locked thread