Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Most lead acid batteries have been remanufactured in some form, haven't they?

At least the lead plates..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are pilot super sports by far the best summer performance tire and is there a close second? I ask because they don't make them in my oem size (215/45r18). I can potentially move to 224/40r18, but I'd prefer to stay oem sizing for comfort and the ability to use the spare without loving my poo poo up. 2008 speed 3, oem wheels, 18x7.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

some texas redneck posted:

Most lead acid batteries have been remanufactured in some form, haven't they?

At least the lead plates..

Yeah, >95% of the lead is recycled.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Are pilot super sports by far the best summer performance tire and is there a close second? I ask because they don't make them in my oem size (215/45r18). I can potentially move to 224/40r18, but I'd prefer to stay oem sizing for comfort and the ability to use the spare without loving my poo poo up. 2008 speed 3, oem wheels, 18x7.

What are you intending to do with them? PSS are great tires, but if you're just running them on the road, you probably don't need anything that aggressive, and you'll chew through them quick.

If you want a solid summer tire, I've run the Conti ExtremeContact DW on several cars and been very happy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So, I got a Ford Focus 2005 station wagon, euro model. The AC's stopped working and the service dude checked for leaks and said I've got a leak in the metal pipe connected to the compressor.

Is there any point in trying those leak fix things, or am I looking at a full replacement? If the former, is this something easily fixed by myself, considering I'm somewhat confident using hardware but know nothing about cars? I've tried googling for tips, but I get the impression the cheap-as-free solutions will end up screwing me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So, I got a Ford Focus 2005 station wagon, euro model. The AC's stopped working and the service dude checked for leaks and said I've got a leak in the metal pipe connected to the compressor.

Is there any point in trying those leak fix things, or am I looking at a full replacement? If the former, is this something easily fixed by myself, considering I'm somewhat confident using hardware but know nothing about cars? I've tried googling for tips, but I get the impression the cheap-as-free solutions will end up screwing me.

Stop-leak will plug small holes in your A/C system, yes.

The trouble is that the expansion valve that makes the cold happen is also a small hole. And stop-leak will happily plug that up too, leaving your compressor building up pressure in one side of the system but not actually generating any refrigerant flow.

Go read Motronic's OP here and decide if you're up to the task. It's not difficult to service A/C, but you do need to know what you're doing ahead of time, and you will need gauges and a vacuum pump.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm completely stuck in click hole hell trying to figure out my issue: 86 Toyota MR 4AGE. Starts and runs on ether - runs for ~ 10 seconds. Will die immediately if throttle is used.

Some say it's AMF, some say it's idle air, some say it's fuel pump, spark.

Where is the easiest starting point?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Bovril Delight posted:

What are you intending to do with them? PSS are great tires, but if you're just running them on the road, you probably don't need anything that aggressive, and you'll chew through them quick.

If you want a solid summer tire, I've run the Conti ExtremeContact DW on several cars and been very happy.

Quick drives on mountain roads (in California) on the weekend and a rare autocross. My understanding is that pss are good in the rain due to the deep channels, and they have a fairly forgiving sidewall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

extreme_accordion posted:

I'm completely stuck in click hole hell trying to figure out my issue: 86 Toyota MR 4AGE. Starts and runs on ether - runs for ~ 10 seconds. Will die immediately if throttle is used.

It wouldn't run on ether without spark. It's getting enough air to run on ether, so it's not the IACV (which shouldn't have much of an effect while cold anyway).

Have you pulled the spark plugs after cranking + no start? Any smell of gasoline at the same time?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

extreme_accordion posted:

Sounds like fuel system see if you can borrow a pressure gauge and test the pressure. My guess is it primes and gives enough gas past a clogged filter or pump can at least get that amount to the engine but after that it can't keep up.
Next guess would be air meter, or throttle body gasket.. if extra air is coming in and thr engine doesn't know it'll run like poo poo or lean out the engine till it stops running.

If it was idle control hitting the gas would solve it and keep it running not kill it generally.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Sounds like fuel system see if you can borrow a pressure gauge and test the pressure. My guess is it primes and gives enough gas past a clogged filter or pump can at least get that amount to the engine but after that it can't keep up.
Next guess would be air meter, or throttle body gasket.. if extra air is coming in and thr engine doesn't know it'll run like poo poo or lean out the engine till it stops running.

If it was idle control hitting the gas would solve it and keep it running not kill it generally.

I've discovered one of the BSVS solenoids (valves?) has a one wire broken off at the body.
It looks like the one here on for marked for Idle Up but I think the side that should be running to the throttle body is in fact running to the charcoal can.

I believe both you and STRN are correct when going towards fuel filter or fuel pump.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know any good tips for buying a car on Craigslist that's on the other side of the country? (Besides "don't")

I have a friend of a friend going to check it out but maybe there's some common sense stuff I'm missing about preferred payment methods or something like that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowy posted:

Anyone know any good tips for buying a car on Craigslist that's on the other side of the country? (Besides "don't")

I have a friend of a friend going to check it out but maybe there's some common sense stuff I'm missing about preferred payment methods or something like that.

How expensive is the car? If it's a decent amount, Paypal your friend the funds to have a PPI done just in case the person checking it for you misses something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I ordered new rear rotors for my 07 civic si on amazon. Like a dope I didnt check their size before I removed the old ones. Their diameter is correct, but the inner diameter of the rotor, where the hub mates up is about...1/4" larger than the ones I pulled off. I am not sure if this matters to be honest, when they are mounted and the lugs are torqued, it shouldnt matter should it? Does the hub touching the inside of the rotor do anything?

e: also, this means that the rotor face is bigger than the area of the wheel that mounts to it...

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 6, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you should really make sure the most critical safety system on your car is serviced with the right parts.

Most rotors like that are hub centric; the lug nuts will hold it on, but the hub in the middle is what perfectly centers it. It might physically fit (if the center's bigger I'd expect the caliper to rub it), but I can almost guarantee it'll be slightly off-center; nevermind the wear issues, that'll cause a vibration that will make the car practically undriveable.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you should really make sure the most critical safety system on your car is serviced with the right parts.

Most rotors like that are hub centric; the lug nuts will hold it on, but the hub in the middle is what perfectly centers it. It might physically fit (if the center's bigger I'd expect the caliper to rub it), but I can almost guarantee it'll be slightly off-center; nevermind the wear issues, that'll cause a vibration that will make the car practically undriveable.

I probably didn't explain it well. Let me show in pics.

New rotor installed

New rotor and old rotor face to face. The new ones have more inner "room"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It doesn't matter as long as the hat height is the same.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It doesn't matter as long as the hat height is the same.

Looks that way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Okay yeah that's not what I was picturing, as long as nothing rubs you should be fine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Okay yeah that's not what I was picturing, as long as nothing rubs you should be fine.

I just buttoned it up, looks like we are in good shape. I also finally got rid of my clanking rear sway bar links. The delay was that the hex opening on them stripped while trying to remove them.

One angle grinder later...

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Hey everyone, I'm a pretty basic bitch when it comes to automotive stuff so I'm helping you can help me out. I roll in a 2005 Toyota Corolla E120 1ZZ-FE automatic. It's sitting at around 157k Kms (google tells me that's 97555.27 miles) on the odometer. It's serviced regularly.

The car has alright pick up off the line if you're motivated with your right foot (Read: I work the slushbox pretty hard). I've noticed recently that the delivery of power is getting a bit sluggish more sluggish than usual. The AT sticks in third for much longer than it ever used to. For instance, pushing the car from 60 to 80 might raise the RPM to 3200. After maintaining that speed for a bit, the car used to move into 4th and the rev count would drop to around 2600. Now the car will hold @ 3200 in third for ages, as if the Overdrive had been disengaged or something (when it definately isn't). When it does change to fourth, you feel it. It's hard to describe, it's almost like the AT is trying to double clutch? My guess is that the AT band is slipping or something?

Obviously my driving habits have given the AT some grief*. I would like to get some insight as to how hosed I am? Is this the AT band wearing out, or something more sinister?

*Since I noticed the change in the cars demeanor, I have backed way the gently caress off.

DPM fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 7, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Change your AT fluid pronto, hope you haven't hosed anything permanently.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a Cayman and I want to add a little character to it. This weekend I plasti dip'd the wheels and the side intake vents. I've been looking at various types of racing stripes, front fender stripes, and after-market paint jobs to see what type of visual flair is out there for inspiration. My issue is that I lack a good search term that encompasses what I'm looking for. I don't want wraps and I don't want complete custom paint jobs. I would like to see small to medium visual effects people have added to their cars. Is there a general term for this in the auto world that I can use? Or is anyone familiar with a photo repository with a wide variety? It seems there's so much that could be done beyond a stripe up the center of the hood and a stripe along the bottom of the door.

Here's the car, for reference.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Is there a general term for this in the auto world that I can use?

Uh, rice? :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've got a Cayman and I want to add a little character to it. This weekend I plasti dip'd the wheels and the side intake vents. I've been looking at various types of racing stripes, front fender stripes, and after-market paint jobs to see what type of visual flair is out there for inspiration. My issue is that I lack a good search term that encompasses what I'm looking for. I don't want wraps and I don't want complete custom paint jobs. I would like to see small to medium visual effects people have added to their cars. Is there a general term for this in the auto world that I can use? Or is anyone familiar with a photo repository with a wide variety? It seems there's so much that could be done beyond a stripe up the center of the hood and a stripe along the bottom of the door.

Here's the car, for reference.

Really, this is the only right answer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

I just buttoned it up, looks like we are in good shape. [/timg]

I suspect you've already dealt with this but seems to me like the most you'd need to worry about is making sure the parking brake is adjusted properly. Even then, I bet they just made the hat thicker, instead of a larger inner diameter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect you've already dealt with this but seems to me like the most you'd need to worry about is making sure the parking brake is adjusted properly. Even then, I bet they just made the hat thicker, instead of a larger inner diameter.

Civics don't have a drum-in-disc parking brake :)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

As someone not versed in Porsche's history of racing, this look is lost on me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm going to be towing a Harbor Freight folding trailer with my 2016 GTI. The height to the top of the receiver on the GTI seems to be 9" and the height to the bottom of the tongue is 17" Does this mean I want a 8" rise hitch? That sounds abnormally tall? For what it's worth, I will be putting a 2003 R6 and a 2007 Tuono 1000 on it, which should be around 750lb.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Does anyone know how far back a recall will be performed? I have an 01 Taurus that had a recall issued in 04 for the stoplight switch. According to a vin checker and my inspecting the car this has never been done. I'm getting locked out of shifting out of park and no brake lights. I have the new updated part but it involves splicing into the harness. I removed and greased the old faulty part and it has made it better but the problem is intermittent. The local dealer claims no open recalls on my vehicle but online vin checkers do. I am calling ford recall 1-800 in the morning. Any chance I get ford to do this recall? I have the recall info and technical service bulletin info.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Does anyone have a source for a wiring diagram for the (power) driver seat from a Honda Accord Crosstour? I believe it's from a 2013, based in part numbers, but I'd accept anything.

I'm hoping to rewire the harness so I can put this in my jeep and keep the power functions. It appears to have seat heaters, but I haven't pulled the covers off yet.

I'm open to cutting off the main adapter (one plug, about 13-15 pins, at the front of the seat) or even wiring directly in at the motors if needed, I just haven't had any luck getting a diagram of what does what.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Civics don't have a drum-in-disc parking brake :)

Weird, one way it's different than my CR-V then.

Krakkles posted:

Does anyone have a source for a wiring diagram for the (power) driver seat from a Honda Accord Crosstour? I believe it's from a 2013, based in part numbers, but I'd accept anything.

Looks like http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html has you covered. Under "Body & Accessories" instead of interior, for some reason.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I'm hoping to rewire the harness so I can put this in my jeep and keep the power functions. It appears to have seat heaters, but I haven't pulled the covers off yet.

I'm open to cutting off the main adapter (one plug, about 13-15 pins, at the front of the seat) or even wiring directly in at the motors if needed, I just haven't had any luck getting a diagram of what does what.

If nobody has done this by tuesday, I will nab a copy while at work.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was getting ready to get violent if this wasn't Martini.

As someone not versed in Porsche's history of racing, this look is lost on me.

Cars used to be a bit more blatantly sponsored by booze and cigarettes, and oil. Porsche were sponsored by Martini and the link above is one of the most well known racing liveries in the world by anyone who has even half a clue.

In short, a white Porsche is the perfect canvas for a touch of Martini.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

88h88 posted:

I was getting ready to get violent if this wasn't Martini.

Cars used to be a bit more blatantly sponsored by booze and cigarettes, and oil. Porsche were sponsored by Martini and the link above is one of the most well known racing liveries in the world by anyone who has even half a clue.

In short, a white Porsche is the perfect canvas for a touch of Martini.

Yeah Porsche is to Martini as the GT40 is to Gulf. You gotta stick with the classics.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Aside from the fact that I doubt my technical ability to recreate something with that much detail and precision, there's the additional issue that I simply don't care for the look. I apologize if this makes me a terrible Porsche owner.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 8, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Aside from the fact that I doubt my technical ability to recreate something with that much detail and precision, there's the additional issue that I simply don't care for the look. I apologize if this makes me a terrible Porsche owner.

On point 1, there are people out there that specialise in doing stuff like this.
On point 2, fair enough!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I apologize if this makes me a terrible Porsche owner.

Red plastidip on the side intakes already took care of that.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Red plastidip on the side intakes already took care of that.

The great thing about plastidip is that I can experiment and if it's awful, remove it easily

E: I really like this one. Does that redeem me at all?

How would one go about evenly taping off curves like that?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

E: I really like this one. Does that redeem me at all?

Actually yes, Gulf Racing livery is full on cool as poo poo.