Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something I've seen mentioned a few times is we have DKR Batman but a seemingly young Joker (I mean, it looks that way, Leto is in his 40s), it doesn't really match up if they'd been going at it for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A better use of time to watching Suicide Squad is to play the Telltale Batman game.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Something I've seen mentioned a few times is we have DKR Batman but a seemingly young Joker (I mean, it looks that way, Leto is in his 40s), it doesn't really match up if they'd been going at it for years.

Leto is older than Affleck. I didn't think he was supposed to be playing younger?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

A better use of time to watching Suicide Squad is to play the Telltale Batman game.

I've heard really bad things about it, not just from people who bought it not knowing that is not an action game. They're saying its insanely buggy, unresponsive, the key bindings don't match with on screen promts and a bunch of other things.

I do like how Bruce Wayne looks like Archer though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nobody within a decade of middle age would have tattoos and a grill and dress like that loving guy does, though

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I've heard really bad things about it, not just from people who bought it not knowing that is not an action game. They're saying its insanely buggy, unresponsive, the key bindings don't match with on screen promts and a bunch of other things.

I do like how Bruce Wayne looks like Archer though.

I guess the PC version is a mess, but I didn't have any issues with it on the xbone.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

chime_on posted:

The reviews are just histrionic, and can pretty much be ignored. It's a genre movie, but people seem to be reviewing it like it's supposed to be something greater than that.

What exactly does this mean? It's not supposed to be very good and should be reviewed with that in mind?

chime_on posted:

Leto is older than Affleck. I didn't think he was supposed to be playing younger?

I think the mindset is that BvS established a Batman that's been at this for a long time. Affleck is in his 40's and plays a Batman that feels the same way. When you look at all the tattoos and the grill from Leto's Joker, he looks a lot more like a tryhard 25 year old than a 40 year old. Which is most certainly the benefit of makeup and a difference in character direction, but I understand the confusion. This is just the hot take of someone who had no idea how old Jared Leto was. I wouldn't have guessed 44.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

What exactly does this mean? It's not supposed to be very good and should be reviewed with that in mind?

I think he's saying it's supposed to be From Dusk Til Dawn 2, but people are judging it as failing to be Guardians/Avengers. Which would be a lot easier to agree with if DC wasn't trying to create a cohesive universe of blockbusters and rather just releasing movies to stand on their own and make middling money.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Nobody within a decade of middle age would have tattoos and a grill and dress like that loving guy does, though

Apparently you missed the music video with Jared/Joker, Skrillex and Rick Ross. 😂

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, Leto's Joker certainly reads younger, and feels like he'd be the villain in like a movie starring Jet Li and a rapper from the early 2000s. He does basically all the cliche "crazy gangsta" style behavior, save putting a loaded gun against his head and acting like he doesn't care if he pulls the trigger.

Codependent Poster posted:

I guess the PC version is a mess, but I didn't have any issues with it on the xbone.

Yea, all the stuff I've heard is about the PC version. It's a bad time to be a PC verison of a Batman game. It is really funny seeing people who are so Batman obessed they bought it without looking at what the game actually was and are furious that all you do is talk and look around. Did people do that with the Telltale Borderlands game?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fallen Rib
I agree with the reviews being overblown a bit. It's one thing to say that the movie is bad but their was a review in a national paper where the reviewer says it was the worst experience he has ever had in a theatre. Then the comparisons to Fantastic Four and the amount of vitriol seems overblown for a middling film at best.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Leto's joker is supposed to be a few years older than Harley. I'm not sure if they ever explicitly state Harley's age, but they are definitely going for "Mid-20's"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Clearly all the people who said SS was the worst movie ever were paid by Marvel as part of their diabolical scheme to sink DC movies for good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Leto's Joker certainly reads younger, and feels like he'd be the villain in like a movie starring Jet Li and a rapper from the early 2000s.

Well Common was in that one scene with Joker.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

No, it just means that you don't watch Inglourious Basterds and ding it for not being Saving Private Ryan.

SonicRulez posted:

I think the mindset is that BvS established a Batman that's been at this for a long time. Affleck is in his 40's and plays a Batman that feels the same way. When you look at all the tattoos and the grill from Leto's Joker, he looks a lot more like a tryhard 25 year old than a 40 year old. Which is most certainly the benefit of makeup and a difference in character direction, but I understand the confusion. This is just the hot take of someone who had no idea how old Jared Leto was. I wouldn't have guessed 44.

Leto was clearly an older man manipulating Robbie; he was also the OG in the relationship with the gangster dude in the club scene-- absolutely nothing about the Joker read as him being in his 20s. Face tattoos and grills are not something that are associated exclusively with 20somethings.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Mike Tyson has had face tattoos and at least one metal tooth since the 90s.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

chime_on posted:

No, it just means that you don't watch Inglourious Basterds and ding it for not being Saving Private Ryan.

But that doesn't answer any questions. Those are both good movies independent of each other. I wouldn't even think to compare one to the other.

chime_on posted:

Leto was clearly an older man manipulating Robbie; he was also the OG in the relationship with the gangster dude in the club scene-- absolutely nothing about the Joker read as him being in his 20s. Face tattoos and grills are not something that are associated exclusively with 20somethings.

Absolutely nothing is a hell of a stretch. Nothing is particularly exclusive to being in your 20's, but the wigger image is definitely not something most would associate with being middle-aged. You're being a little obtuse on that front.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saw Suicide Squad, it's kind of a beautiful disaster. Not a good movie by any stretch but really fascinating in its badness.

Also it's the only time I've ever liked Jai Courtney in anything.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
SS sounds like it'll be a great movie for me to watch drunk in a few months.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was bummed the movie wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be, but it wasn't as god awful as I was expecting based on the reviews.

I think the biggest issue I have with it is that I'm sick of every drat movie's villain be a big, world ending apocalypse. Suicide Squad should have been a group put together and sent in to deal with more "street level" metahumans. The fact that they were grouped together with the military was just dumb - I get Diablo, Deadshot and Croc have something to offer, but what can Harley do that a heavily trained soldier couldn't do?

I would have enjoyed it more if the villain wasn't world ending Gozer the destroyer dancing like Shakira. Leto was passable as the Joker, though the tattoos still bother me.

Definitely was a victim of really bad editing. :(

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

I'm just going to bow out from talking to you about this movie because this is the second time you've used that word and I think it's pretty ugly. Sorry.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Really tired of movies using big light in the sky thing as a threat. Avengers, ghostbusters, amazing spider-man, xmen apocalypse kinda, and I'm sure a bunch more.

I'm with the guy above me too, smaller scale movies can be fun too- that's why a ton of people loved Ant Man.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, gently caress off.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

TwoPair posted:

SS sounds like it'll be a great movie for me to watch drunk in a few months.

I had no interest in this movie at all (because it looked terrible from the very start, but all the bad reviews actually make me want to see just how bad it is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Really tired of movies using big light in the sky thing as a threat. Avengers, ghostbusters, amazing spider-man, xmen apocalypse kinda, and I'm sure a bunch more.

I'm with the guy above me too, smaller scale movies can be fun too- that's why a ton of people loved Ant Man.
I'm glad from that Christopher Cargill interview about Dr. Strange that at least from what he said that the ending of Dr. Strange won't be a BS big light in the sky finale.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

JT Smiley posted:

I had no interest in this movie at all (because it looked terrible from the very start, but all the bad reviews actually make me want to see just how bad it is.

Nothing about Suicide Squad looked to my taste at all but I still kinda hoped it would be good because it seemed to be trying for something different. So of course the first thing most reviewers say is that it's disappointingly generic.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I have not seen the movie but wanted to know if the Suicide Squad could be compared to the Daredevil film.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

chime_on posted:

I'm just going to bow out from talking to you about this movie because this is the second time you've used that word and I think it's pretty ugly. Sorry.

It's ugly, ignorant and also not really accurate

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I have not seen the movie but wanted to know if the Suicide Squad could be compared to the Daredevil film.

I think Suicide Squad is about a billion times more interesting visually.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
How does Suicide Squad compare to X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chill Penguin posted:

More of a mess plot and editing wise, doesn't look nearly as cheap tho.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The silver teeth were really off-putting in the character promo stills. Within the universe, I could see them coming from getting his goddamn teeth punched in by Batfleck a Few dozen times.

^^^
Yeah, the editing is incredibly terrible and works to make the movie much weaker.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 8, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
One thing I keep thinking of, who shot down the helicopter when the SS was coming to the city? Yeah, the rockmenthings could use their guns but did they mount a turret or get a machinegun? and somehow shot exclusively the suicide squad copter but let the other two go as well as a couple other helicopters we saw throughout the movie?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

Wolverine is a much more competently put together film. Suicide is so bad that it retroactively makes most of Marvel's output and Snyder's movies much better. I serves as a lesson in how even poor superhero movies still show a level of skill that this movie lacks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MacheteZombie posted:

Well Common was in that one scene with Joker.

That's who he was. I saw him in the credits and was wondering what character he played.

I'm hoping they'll have a Directors Cut that will fill in a lot of the weird jumps the film has, though I doubt anything could fix Enchantress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone other than the director's cut might be more appropriate for this one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing about the movie that really doesn't make sense is why they sent them in with such a large backup team of soldiers. It really undercuts the reasoning of why they sent them in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Especially when they were never intended to go after Enchantress.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I went to see Suicide Squad yesterday.

No one laughed at the "funny" parts, at times a couple of girls way on the back would barely giggle, and that was it.
It wasn't as if it was a translation problem, it was more of..unfunny jokes problem.
Half the movie was a huge mess, and the music was getting annoying, even if it was songs I liked.
Things I liked was Will Smith, Harley's portrayal, I love her classic suit so it was nice they showed a bit of it,and Diablo.

Diablo was cool.
I also wish I could had seen more of Leto's Joker (I still hate the tattoos).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Chill Penguin posted:

Somehow manages to have a weaker villain and worse overall plot, but way more enjoyable to watch. And the CGI is better.

• Locked thread