Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Well, it wasn't Shane Douglas beats Bam Bam Bigelow with a suplex through the world's smallest table dumb, but that was pretty dumb all the same.

I just (for historical purposes, apparently) watched the Hogan-Andre Main Event match with the Hebner twins, and I realized that Andre's double-underhook suplex he does at the end (when he is starting to really lose his mobility) looks a lot like Shane Douglas's belly-to-belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
whats the best rumble to show to someone to show off how fun the rumble is

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Literally The Worst posted:

2008 although some of the fun is Michaels and Undertaker continuing the end of the last Rumble and the surprise Cena return which won't have as much impact.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

2011 best rumble

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I recommend The Royal Rumble. It is good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Definitely 2001.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

2001 has a lot of fun segments, a lot of known names that someone who doesn't watch wrestling would probably know, and doesn't need that much explained as far as the gimmicks and stories throughout

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The one that Flair won ('92), the one where CM Punk is the leader of the Nexus, keeps eliminating guys and talking mad amounts of poo poo in between entries (2011), the one where Cena returns to EVERYBODY's surprise ('08), Austin's first rumble win ('98, '97 doesn't really count). 2007 is my favorite of all time though. The mini-match between Undertaker and Michaels when they're the last two is terrific.

Whatever you do:

-Avoid the 40 man rumble, it drags like a motherfucker
-As great as his performances are in them, avoid the ones HBK won. They're pretty much universally terrible. Although the novelty of Davey Boy being too loving stupid to follow up to make sure Shawn is gone is hillarious.
-The one Vince wins ('99) is absolute rear end. Avoid it.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

the one where CM Punk is the leader of the Nexus, keeps eliminating guys and talking mad amounts of poo poo in between entries (2011),

Whatever you do:

-Avoid the 40 man rumble, it drags like a motherfucker

same rumble brother

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

owned by the best rumble

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Flair's Rumble win is amazing. From the point at which he enters until the end he owns every minute of the match. It is a masterpiece. Bobby Heenan somehow takes this gem and makes it shine even brighter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

WadeBartender posted:

same rumble brother

Eh, split the difference. Everything involving Punk and the Nexus is gold, everything after Cena tosses out Punk is unwatchable garbage.

Though there's the funny spot towards the end where Alex Riley accidentally eliminates himself and basically kills his own push/career.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

remusclaw posted:

Flair's Rumble win is amazing. From the point at which he enters until the end he owns every minute of the match. It is a masterpiece. Bobby Heenan somehow takes this gem and makes it shine even brighter.

In ring. Great rumble. Add commentary and it becomes the best rumble.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm thinking with the brand split and the padding of the rosters, we might see another 40-man Rumble in January.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Which rumble has the crowd swaying along with Gangrels entrance?

Actually if the crowd is getting into the rumble a lot, that helps make it seem better in my opinion :D

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

freeranger posted:

Which rumble has the crowd swaying along with Gangrels entrance?

Actually if the crowd is getting into the rumble a lot, that helps make it seem better in my opinion :D

Pretty sure it's the '99 one

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

freeranger posted:

Agreed. 2015 Rumble it is.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Who in the world was that Big Al dude who faced Tank Abbott and almost got his beard shaved at SuperBrawl 2000? Was he one of Tank's actual friends? Some Power Plant punk?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Max Coveri posted:

Who in the world was that Big Al dude who faced Tank Abbott and almost got his beard shaved at SuperBrawl 2000? Was he one of Tank's actual friends? Some Power Plant punk?

I think he was 911 in ECW?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm pretty sure that Big Al was a friend of Tank and a high school coach with little or no wrestling experience. Not the same as Big Al Green or Big Al [Poling]. So WCW had three Big Als as well as six Scotts. He does look enough like Al Poling that it could be him with a shaved head.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 8, 2016

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The 2010 Rumble is really good too, with the running storyline of HBK trying to win so he gets another shot at the Undertaker, CM Punk eliminating a bunch of guys while cutting promos in between, Beth Phoenix eliminating Gret Khali with a kiss, Edge's return, and a crazy amount of star power: Michaels, HHH, Cena, Edge, Punk, Batista, and Jericho, probably missing a couple big names too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TL posted:

The 2010 Rumble is really good too, with the running storyline of HBK trying to win so he gets another shot at the Undertaker, CM Punk eliminating a bunch of guys while cutting promos in between, Beth Phoenix eliminating Gret Khali with a kiss, Edge's return, and a crazy amount of star power: Michaels, HHH, Cena, Edge, Punk, Batista, and Jericho, probably missing a couple big names too.

2010 is great because it has so much star power, but nobody wears out their welcome.

Plus Big Show running to the ring while an exhausted Cena lets out the biggest sigh is wonderful.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right you've said it's 2011 and 2010 for punk cutting promos in the ring. Which is it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right you've said it's 2011 and 2010 for punk cutting promos in the ring. Which is it?

vvv I'm pretty sure he didn't, he just directed traffic while New Nexus beat people up vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 8, 2016

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Both feature a section dedicated to Punk, though I can't remember if he cut promos in 2011.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The '99 Rumble is up there with Deadly Games for me with stuff that absolutely sucked in-ring but I really enjoy watching anyway. Peak Russo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The 99 Rumble was the first PPV I watched love instead of getting a tape months later, so I love it for nostalgia's sake. It really does suck though. There's like 3 separate times where someone comes out to a completely empty ring and has to stand there awkwardly for 90 seconds

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also: 1990-1992 are classic Rumbles, 1993-1999 all suck in various ways (stupid booking, or horrible rosters, though the Stone Cold ones are worth a watch at least). 2000-2001 are great, and also the one where Maven gets brutally murdered (2002?)

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
2002 is the one where Maven gets demolished, though there's also a callback to that in 2003.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Royal Rumble 2004 had "THE GREATEST" Ernest "The Cat" Miller come out and dance. Had a weird ending where Big Show was both the last survivor and last eliminated so nobody won it that year.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Just saw 2011, not anywhere as bad as 99 but good lord it felt like there was a five minute break between entrances during the second half and Cole/Stryker is THE worse commentary team I've ever heard, King was a fresh of breath air compared to those two.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

Definitely 2001.

my dude

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I feel dumb for forgetting Kudo.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Eh, I'd pump the brakes on that one, since he'd have to demonstrate the "working well" part to make it true. It's like Ichiro being a home-run hitter, prove that you can do something before you say you don't want to.

Now, the smart worker in the bad body you're looking for is Mitch Page. Page was in that same IWA-MS deathmatch group but his weight got out of control and broke his body down even faster. Messiah/Nick Mondo/JC Bailey were okay, they were better than the hack 'n' slashers but I wouldn't call them great workers. Sexxxy Eddy and the IWS crew seemed like they could have broke out but never did, probably because they allied themselves with Zandig/CZW, whereas Steen/Generico got into ROH/PWG.
I knew I was forgetting someone from IWAMS.

The story I've heard with Pondo was that he somehow got booked against Adam Pearce on a random midwest indie show. Maybe for Carmine DeSpirito? Anyway, Pearce was dreading it. They lock up, start chain wrestling, and Pearce says "You fucker. You know how to work!"

Anyway, the distinction I was trying to make was that Pondo was not "good worker who does deathmatches" a la Honma/Yamakawa/Tanaka or "good worker in a bad body who does deathmatches" like Paige or Corp, but that, apparently, he COULD work, he just chose not to, even in his deathmatches. Like as opposed to the other guys, who performed in a way where you could see that they could work, Pondo deliberately performed in a way where he showed NONE of that.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

The 2008 Rumble was another under rated one IMO, the little spot between Piper and Snuka was great, HHH and Foley going toe to toe again in MSG was nice for all of 5 seconds, the surprise Cena return at #30 had everyone off guard too.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Just YouTube "Kofi Kingston royal rumble" there I have given you all the best rumble spots.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

FunMerrania posted:

Just saw 2011, not anywhere as bad as 99 but good lord it felt like there was a five minute break between entrances during the second half and Cole/Stryker is THE worse commentary team I've ever heard, King was a fresh of breath air compared to those two.

Striker's one of those commentator who needs someone to rein him in and keep him in check. Pre-heel Cole was pretty good with it by actually conversing with him and vocally rolling his eyes at the dumb stuff he says.

Heel Cole basically threw water on a grease fire when it came to responding to Striker, making everything that much worse.

"The internet loves this match-up."

"Who cares about the stupid internet?!"

"These two are very similar, both having worked through the independents."

"Who cares about the stupid independents?!"

"Diesel is very tall. There was a basketball player in this building who--"

"WHO CARES?! WHO CARES WHO CARES WHO CARES?!"

"...Has anyone seen Alex Riley?"

"STRIKER, SHUT UP I SWEAR TO GOD!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I forget who said it (a part of my brain wants to say it was Joe Rogan), but Heel Cole was summed up nicely with "If the announcers clearly don't give a poo poo about your show, why should the audience?"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

AFAIK he worked as a trash collector and they were loading stuff into the compactor at the dump and he just slipped and fell in.

Just got to this and what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Just got to this and what the gently caress.

RIP Wicked J